Dayton D1 Tourney.....

It's all good. Just glad the kids are getting to play. I just remember how tough it was to play back to back games in a hostile gym and be at your best both nights. That is great tournament preparation to be sure.

Wayne missed 7 free throws and only went 2 for 15 from beyond the arc. Despite that they led the game against the hottest team in the state with under a minute to go. I feel confident they get it done if they are fortunate enough to go the opportunity. I believe that could set up a possible Wayne/Elks round 3 match-up. I am assuming the ELKS went in the opposite bracket than Moe but have not looked.
I agree, Wayne is really good, but St. X was also missing their starting point guard that game.

I think there are several teams that could take out Moeller - Centerville being one of them.

Elder and X have already proven they can beat them.

I think Moe should be the favorites. They haven't lost a tourney game since 2017. They would have won D1 last year, meaning 3 straight titles. This year's team is not as dominant though.

I think Moe should be the favorites. They haven't lost a tourney game since 2017. They would have won D1 last year, meaning 3 straight titles. This year's team is not as dominant though.
I think that a lot of fans are just excited to see a lot of great games in SW Ohio. St X is back in the mix, Dayton is not a pushover, and moe is not the indomitable force of Ohio.

I think that a lot of fans are just excited to see a lot of great games in SW Ohio. St X is back in the mix, Dayton is not a pushover, and moe is not the indomitable force of Ohio.
This is probably one of the worst years for Dayton as a whole. Centerville to me has only legit shot at getting to regional final and even they are capable of getting beat. Should of lost to a not very good Springfield team game 2. Wayne had them beat and blew a huge lead vs Miamisburg who I think is just ok at best. Now they are probably the best coached team in Dayton but I guess we will see

Anything can happen in a one and done tournament, but at this point I tend to give Cupps the benefit of the doubt this time of the year...especially having a team this year that's pretty good.

Springfield seemed to catch them asleep at the wheel a bit being a midweek road trip the day after a big game against Trotwood. There shouldn't be any excuses for a good team, but I feel like that's happened a lot more this year in our area than in recent years due to the lack of game atmosphere with the attendance restrictions. Sleepy gyms with young-ish teams that have the mindset that "it's going to be easy" leads to some questionable outcomes. I think it's worth noting that later that same week they pummeled Fairmont and had a nice win by double digits against a good Olentangy Liberty team. They've been rolling the last two weeks since that hiccup Wednesday evening road trip to Springfield.

LaSalle took Elder to OT twice. Elder has had a relatively weak schedule outside of the GCL and I think that shows in their inflated record.

I think Elder is closer to LaSalle than they are to Centerville. The other poster is right, if you take away or make it tough for them to score from 3, they’ve struggled to score in every game like that.

In saying that, if you let them get open looks, they can beat anyone.

Let's look at some games where Elder struggled. Turpin beat them at Elder by holding Elder to 4-16 (25%) from threes. Turpin is a decent team who won the ECC. Also at Elder in the last game of the regular season against La Salle (a 9-12 team) that Elder had to go to overtime to beat, Elder went 4-18 (22%) from threes. At St. Xavier where Elder lost 65-48, Elder only made 3-18 (16.7%). Elder averaged 37% on the season from the three point line. That is the key to beat them.

Last edited:
They are like Miamisburg and split with them on the season. They should have no trouble with Franklin. On the other side it is Wayne's to lose but unfortunately Wayne seems to play to the level of competition. They let another late 4th qtr lead get away losing to Centerville in the final seconds a game that they were up by 7 with a chance to extend the lead. If Wayne can play a 4 quarter game they can beat anyone with the exception of Moeller in the region. Wayne should beat Lebanon by double digits but you got to get there first.
Lebanon gets Franklin Weds. ar Centerville

Saw every game over the weekend....

Wayne.... they looked the best in the first round finally getting some consistency beyond the arc in putting a running clock on Piqua early in the 3rd.
Springfield looked the most improved from the last two games I have seen from them. Boro was hurting missing a couple of bigs for the game but the CATS looked hungry
Centerville.... well the Elkies started out strong but then looked human in the 2nd qtr where they faltered big time. Turned it back on in the 3rd but just could not get a running clock on the Skyhawks which I though was to be a sure thing.....

biggest disappointment to me was Franklin. They hit the threes early was able to drain buzzer beaters in the first three periods but Stebbins stayed with them throughout and in my opinion should of and could of won the game.

GWOC went 5-0 against the GMVL including the best game of the day a OT thriller where Beavercreek came from behind to knock off Sidney.

My 3 picks....

Centerville ... won't be challenged
Miamisburg.... the gap is closing if Springfield can play consistent.
Wayne... I had Lebanon before but I saw a hungry Wayne Saturday and if they can keep it up they should roll. Lebanon should destroy Franklin but I still believe the Northmont game for Wayne is a trap game.....

Northmont played Wayne well at Wayne with that being said Wayne by 15+ in this tourney game!! I have Wayne cruising to the District Finals.

Wayne.... they looked the best in the first round finally getting some consistency beyond the arc in putting a running clock on Piqua early in the 3rd.
Springfield looked the most improved from the last two games I have seen from them. Boro was hurting missing a couple of bigs for the game but the CATS looked hungry
Centerville.... well the Elkies started out strong but then looked human in the 2nd qtr where they faltered big time. Turned it back on in the 3rd but just could not get a running clock on the Skyhawks which I though was to be a sure thing.....

biggest disappointment to me was Franklin. They hit the threes early was able to drain buzzer beaters in the first three periods but Stebbins stayed with them throughout and in my opinion should of and could of won the game.

GWOC went 5-0 against the GMVL including the best game of the day a OT thriller where Beavercreek came from behind to knock off Sidney.

My 3 picks....

Wayne... I had Lebanon before but I saw a hungry Wayne Saturday and if they can keep it up they should roll. Lebanon should destroy Franklin but I still believe the Northmont game for Wayne is a trap game.....

Does Franklin schedule any D1 teams during the season? If not they need to. They seem to struggle in the tournament and I don't think the SWBL is getting them ready to play with the bigger schools.

Does Franklin schedule any D1 teams during the season? If not they need to. They seem to struggle in the tournament and I don't think the SWBL is getting them ready to play with the bigger schools.
Decent teams know that their schedules are weak and they do nothing about it but lose early in the tourney.

Let's be honest, Franklin probably should not be a D1 team... they are typically a D2 team.

I think Brian Bales is perfectly happy with going 17-5 or better pretty much every year and getting eliminated in the first two rounds of the tournament, even in the years that Franklin is D2. They'd rather rack up non-league wins against D2 and D3 teams than schedule up and risk losing to get prepared for the tournament.

I think Brian Bales is perfectly happy with going 17-5 or better pretty much every year and getting eliminated in the first two rounds of the tournament, even in the years that Franklin is D2. They'd rather rack up non-league wins against D2 and D3 teams than schedule up and risk losing to get prepared for the tournament.

I agree with what you are saying if they are D2... schedule up and get prepared for the tourney where you can win some games. But in D1 Franklin probably isn't going to win more than 1 tourney game anyway... whether they schedule up in the regular season or not. So might as well have a successful regular season if you are going to get knocked out early in D1 regardless.

I agree with what you are saying if they are D2... schedule up and get prepared for the tourney where you can win some games. But in D1 Franklin probably isn't going to win more than 1 tourney game anyway... whether they schedule up in the regular season or not. So might as well have a successful regular season if you are going to get knocked out early in D1 regardless.

I'm pretty sure this is their first tournament win since Kennard graduated in 2015. They've won over a hundred games and have averaged 17 wins a year since then.

I'd generally agree that as long as they stay in D1 getting one tournament win is probably the best they can do.

He doesn’t even have to schedule d1 but at least play the better d2 teams there are plenty of those. No reason why a Trotwood, Dunbar a few of the ones in Cincy can’t make an appearance every now and then

My 3 picks....

I hope the Warriors come in thinking they will destroy Franklin...This game will go down to the wire . Old Warren County rival renewed.