(Dayton) Chaminade Julienne 2016 outlook

CJK84

How will CJ be in 2016?

They open at home in their beautiful new stadium against Marion Local - and I'll be there to see it woo hoo!!

This past season, in a week 2 jv game, Marion played CJ and, to my surprise, the Eagles struggled quite a bit. CJ varsity managed only a 2-8 record. I believe their roster was limited in numbers, but I know nothing else.

Will they be better in 2016? Any top performers returning? Does a coaching change appear to be a possibility (not suggesting there should be a change - just wondering)?

CJ can only get better. Marcus Collins is a great coach and role model. I think CJ lacks position coaches who are average. Marion Local will probably blow them out but its nice team to open up against them

How in the heck does a poster view his reputation? Is that possible on this site?

p.s. anyone else have info on next year's Eagles?

Thought coach name was Colvin? Don't even talk about that guy not being the perfect fit for CJ. He had them deep in playoffs 4 years ago and then was forced to 3 years of soap opera and then defections by kid's wanting a bigger stage as seniors. CJ and Colvin, with new stadium, a gold mine....add in the largest war chest of endowments for talent in gcl coed and they will be fine.

^Will believe it when I see it. The program's trajectory has got to be towards the top of the GCL coed. Hopeful for good things to come.

Colvin has his work cut out for him that could be his final year. He has to win next season in order to get another extension. Therefore, he needs to develop some of those under class men to build some depth. Of course, hoping that someone transfers in as a BIG fish in a little pond would help!

With Trotwood slowly declinging I'd have to imagine some kids might look to go to school elsewhere, potentially CJ or Wayne. I constantly hear of Colvin being a great guy and great role model, so I believe the community loves him. Unfortunately he got caught between a rock and a hard place with some of his 'talented' players.

With Trotwood slowly declinging I'd have to imagine some kids might look to go to school elsewhere, potentially CJ or Wayne. I constantly hear of Colvin being a great guy and great role model, so I believe the community loves him. Unfortunately he got caught between a rock and a hard place with some of his 'talented' players.

Amazing how much transferring goes on in city schools.

One of the things that Coach Colvin will have to work on is getting his student-athletes in school or getting them notice by schools. Coaches like Minton and Douglas have a rapport with several D1 schools and get a good number of their players scholarships.

Hence, that might have been one of the reasons for the exodus from CJ this year. Most of those who left got noticed from their work of the camps and combines. Grant it, there has been several of Colvin's players have gone into school but at the lower levels. You'll have to go back to 3 yrs ago with the squad that played Clinton Massie, to see D1 players like Darrien Howard (DT-WVa).

One of the things that Coach Colvin will have to work on is getting his student-athletes in school or getting them notice by schools. Coaches like Minton and Douglas have a rapport with several D1 schools and get a good number of their players scholarships.

Hence, that might have been one of the reasons for the exodus from CJ this year. Most of those who left got noticed from their work of the camps and combines. Grant it, there has been several of Colvin's players have gone into school but at the lower levels. You'll have to go back to 3 yrs ago with the squad that played Clinton Massie, to see D1 players like Darrien Howard (DT-WVa).

You are joking, right? He had several of his players NOTICED. Then they went and transferred to other schools. Harrison had a scholarship before he left CJ. That defensive tackle was the same way. Those guys left and ended up dropping.

Coach Minton and Douglass do not get their players noticed. They have kids on their team who are good enough to get scholarships. When Chaminade has kids good enough to get scholarships, they get noticed. Minton and Douglas do not waive a magic wand over their kids and they suddenly get good enough to get a scholarship.

FBGuy, I believe I have FIRST HAND knowledge to what I'm talking about. Coach Colvin has only been at the realm of CJ since 2012, this is his 1st HEAD COACHING job. His name is not like Jim Place (recognized throughout the state). All student athletes want an opportunity to play at the next level. Getting recruited is basically three fold.. 1) student athletes that have the measurements need to work the camps and combines. 2) student athletes have to produce on the filed and in the class room. 3) Head Coaches should have relationships with recruiting coordinators and coaches at different college programs across the state and the region.

In the case of Harrison, he drew attention to some BIG Ten schools his sophomore year for a 7 on 7 @ Welcome. This coming his 1st trek at the camps and combines. He takes the team to the state that year (2013), but only getting offers from small D1 schools in the off season. He continues to have success the following year and verbals to Akron (not a power). Somebody puts a bug in his ear that he's better than the kid across town who verbal with Michigan. The two has been compared to each other since freshman year. Harrison believed by going back "home" could very well increase his visibility to the top schools, because of the level of play of the "home school". Then having the possibility of over shadowing then young talent QB, who transfer as well and changed his verbal MSU. All for a chance for a bigger school.

As for the DT, he basically got recognize of his measurements (height and weight) and possible potential at the next level. Looking at his play, he really wasn't a dominating player that would change the game (like Harrison). His stats showed it; 20 tackle 1 sack - Sophomore and 40 tackles 4 sacks - Junior. He had Maryland going into his Senior. But, it got complicated for him and he choose Dunbar over other schools and hence verbal to WVA!

The BIG BACK could produce when given the opportunity, if that's how you "read" it; 565 yds 117 rec 7 tds - Sophomore and 853 yds 16 tds. He was mentioned in a couple publication for a couple schools but nothing solid. Some people believe the measurements might be an issue. Once, Harrison and Traylor went back "home", therefore he too made a decision that was in his best interest.

All three and possibly Traylor could have benefited if Coach Colvin had an ear to tug at the next level. Shoot, they all could of possibly stayed at CJ, if they knew coach had the gift to gap. I'm not saying that Coach Minton and Douglas are magicians, but I do know they'll pick up the phone for a kid with one of their contacts. I know 1st hand one of Coach Douglas ol' coaches pick up the phone for a Dunbar kid a couple years ago.

FBGuy, I believe I have FIRST HAND knowledge to what I'm talking about. Coach Colvin has only been at the realm of CJ since 2012, this is his 1st HEAD COACHING job. His name is not like Jim Place (recognized throughout the state). All student athletes want an opportunity to play at the next level. Getting recruited is basically three fold.. 1) student athletes that have the measurements need to work the camps and combines. 2) student athletes have to produce on the filed and in the class room. 3) Head Coaches should have relationships with recruiting coordinators and coaches at different college programs across the state and the region.

In the case of Harrison, he drew attention to some BIG Ten schools his sophomore year for a 7 on 7 @ Welcome. This coming his 1st trek at the camps and combines. He takes the team to the state that year (2013), but only getting offers from small D1 schools in the off season. He continues to have success the following year and verbals to Akron (not a power). Somebody puts a bug in his ear that he's better than the kid across town who verbal with Michigan. The two has been compared to each other since freshman year. Harrison believed by going back "home" could very well increase his visibility to the top schools, because of the level of play of the "home school". Then having the possibility of over shadowing then young talent QB, who transfer as well and changed his verbal MSU. All for a chance for a bigger school.

As for the DT, he basically got recognize of his measurements (height and weight) and possible potential at the next level. Looking at his play, he really wasn't a dominating player that would change the game (like Harrison). His stats showed it; 20 tackle 1 sack - Sophomore and 40 tackles 4 sacks - Junior. He had Maryland going into his Senior. But, it got complicated for him and he choose Dunbar over other schools and hence verbal to WVA!

The BIG BACK could produce when given the opportunity, if that's how you "read" it; 565 yds 117 rec 7 tds - Sophomore and 853 yds 16 tds. He was mentioned in a couple publication for a couple schools but nothing solid. Some people believe the measurements might be an issue. Once, Harrison and Traylor went back "home", therefore he too made a decision that was in his best interest.

All three and possibly Traylor could have benefited if Coach Colvin had an ear to tug at the next level. Shoot, they all could of possibly stayed at CJ, if they knew coach had the gift to gap. I'm not saying that Coach Minton and Douglas are magicians, but I do know they'll pick up the phone for a kid with one of their contacts. I know 1st hand one of Coach Douglas ol' coaches pick up the phone for a Dunbar kid a couple years ago.

I don't doubt you BELIEVE it. It is just that you are wrong. It is ok, it happens to the best of us.

I see that you have a little sense of humor. But there's nothing prohibiting a head coach picking up the phone and making a call. I wonder (maybe others) why a 3 sport star at CJ who was DIV All State DB and a member of 4x100 Track State Qualify team did not get any offers from DI, DI-AA (FCS), or DII? The young man had to go the military route to get a free education to one of the State schools. But, I guess YOU have full knowledge and disclosure on this matter.

I see that you have a little sense of humor. But there's nothing prohibiting a head coach picking up the phone and making a call. I wonder (maybe others) why a 3 sport star at CJ who was DIV All State DB and a member of 4x100 Track State Qualify team did not get any offers from DI, DI-AA (FCS), or DII? The young man had to go the military route to get a free education to one of the State schools. But, I guess YOU have full knowledge and disclosure on this matter.

It happened because he was not good enough to get a scholarship. I know you do not want to accept this, but that is why. The coach did talk to the schools. So they looked at the kid and decided he was not good enough. If you are good enough, they will find you.

I have used this example several times. Last year the running back from Talawanda got a full ride to Miami. His school never produces D1 talent. His coach was not known by the colleges. He just happened to be good enough so they offered him.

If you kid you are referring to was good enough, they would have offered him. He was not good enough, so he had to go the route you said he went. :shrug:

There was no defensive back on CJ's team that was capable of playing D1/2. Burneka, Harrison, Pooler, Wilson, and Traylor were the only players on that team deserving of that level.

Gentlemen, I allow me to current myself... I was wrong with the Division of play. In 2013, CJ played in DV not DIV. This young man was 1st Team GCL-CoED, All District and All State DB with 73 tackles 1 sack. He also played WR and returned kicks. (Those ARE the FACTS).

Him and Harrison were the ONLY two All State players Colvin had in a 6-5 season (FACT). Colvin has to get kids into college in order to draw athletes to his program (FACT). Remember, student-athletes have to pay something to go to CJ, it's not free!

FBGuy, regarding your example... It's a very good one, but I'm sure one of those coaches drove the what 5 to 6 miles to see this kid practice or even play on Friday. It be different if the kid went to Ohio University or Toledo. The kid outside of the city limits of Oxford (Fact).

Gentlemen, I allow me to current myself... I was wrong with the Division of play. In 2013, CJ played in DV not DIV. This young man was 1st Team GCL-CoED, All District and All State DB with 73 tackles 1 sack. He also played WR and returned kicks. (Those ARE the FACTS).

Him and Harrison were the ONLY two All State players Colvin had in a 6-5 season (FACT). Colvin has to get kids into college in order to draw athletes to his program (FACT). Remember, student-athletes have to pay something to go to CJ, it's not free!

I'm not going to get personal, but coaches from colleges were cycling in to see the kids I mentioned. They obviously had a chance to see the kid you're mentioning and didn't find his skill set desirable. 73 tackles as a Free Safety might be a red flag that your defense isn't very good (CJ's was awful).

By the way, Harrison, McKiney and Burneka were All-state, so your statement was false. (Fact) Stop trying to push your own agenda.

FBGuy, regarding your example... It's a very good one, but I'm sure one of those coaches drove the what 5 to 6 miles to see this kid practice or even play on Friday. It be different if the kid went to Ohio University or Toledo. The kid outside of the city limits of Oxford (Fact).

Fact, he had more than just the Miami offer. So it is DIFFERENT. Bowling Green, Kent, and Miami were his offers.

You got anything else I need to shoot down?

Would someone please answer:

a. does qb return
b. other returners of note
c. type of offense
d. type of defense (I think CJ jv played a 3-4 entire game vs ML)
e. estimated roster size

I would really appreciate it - especially if you post before late August!!!

... thanks

How is Trotwood solely declining? Just went to another State Semi-final??? This comment should be official done until I see otherwise. Trotwood is fine.

Colvin got a raw deal with those transfers. Good coach. I hear a few of them wished they did not leave. That Huber grass ain't as green as some think...

How is Trotwood solely declining? Just went to another State Semi-final??? This comment should be official done until I see otherwise. Trotwood is fine.

Colvin got a raw deal with those transfers. Good coach. I hear a few of them wished they did not leave. That Huber grass ain't as green as some think...

In time, you'll see

Ok, But with two pretty good MS teams and some of the young talent in the program not in the next few years buddy. If you are talking about 5 or 6 years from now OK but dang!! The run has been pretty good. I just think folks want that to happen so they can quit making excuses for why those kids out there are more successful than others. "My Thoughts"!!

Ok, But with two pretty good MS teams and some of the young talent in the program not in the next few years buddy. If you are talking about 5 or 6 years from now OK but dang!! The run has been pretty good. I just think folks want that to happen so they can quit making excuses for why those kids out there are more successful than others. "My Thoughts"!!

I don't want Trotwood to be bad, because honestly they give credibility to the Dayton area. I believe DeWeaver exiting is some indication of where the program might be going.

How will CJ be in 2016?

They open at home in their beautiful new stadium against Marion Local - and I'll be there to see it woo hoo!!

This past season, in a week 2 jv game, Marion played CJ and, to my surprise, the Eagles struggled quite a bit. CJ varsity managed only a 2-8 record. I believe their roster was limited in numbers, but I know nothing else.

Will they be better in 2016? Any top performers returning? Does a coaching change appear to be a possibility (not suggesting there should be a change - just wondering)?

New field will bring in a slew of new recruits. Flyers may get lucky though gettng them so early in the season. MAY get them before all their talent gels together.

I don't want Trotwood to be bad, because honestly they give credibility to the Dayton area. I believe DeWeaver exiting is some indication of where the program might be going.

That Deweaver situation had a whole lot more to do with his parents and the "stats" he was or was not putting up. No indication of the state of the Program. Qualified for state semi-finals without him?? Still don't know where folks are getting these "Trotwood is going to be down" news flashes from. I predict 7-3 next year with a 3rd or 4th round playoff run. Is that drying up????

Hopefully the new stadium will get CJ some more stability as a program. I think Colvin is the best they have had since Place. Just got to get some consistency.