Dayton Area Basketball

CF083EB1-CB68-4DAA-AB28-B9B32ACC59D7.png

Don't get 9th grade "commitments", but ole well. The era we live in. He can expect to be ready to work.....Good luck young fella.

Saw the below post on Twitter... Trotwood is going to be loaded!!!!!

‘21 G Anthony McComb has announced he’ll be playing at Trotwood-Madison next season. The former Thurgood guard was a key piece of the regional semi-final run the Cougars went on last season. McComb will join a loaded Rams team as he will be paired up with transfer Biggie Luster.

What ever happened to the transfer rules? kids are not only transferring but they are announcing it and placing a New Jersey on them with a picture. Different world we live in.

What ever happened to the transfer rules? kids are not only transferring but they are announcing it and placing a New Jersey on them with a picture. Different world we live in.
There are obviously ways around it. Sounds like the kid from Illinois will be moving into the district. I also don't know how close the Trotwood limits are in comparison to the Dayton City limits, but I believe that will allow some of the kids to move around some. It's also my understanding that if you move somewhere before your Freshman year, you won't have to sit out at all. I'm not sure if that is true, maybe someone can clarify?

There are obviously ways around it. Sounds like the kid from Illinois will be moving into the district. I also don't know how close the Trotwood limits are in comparison to the Dayton City limits, but I believe that will allow some of the kids to move around some. It's also my understanding that if you move somewhere before your Freshman year, you won't have to sit out at all. I'm not sure if that is true, maybe someone can clarify?
Thurgood and Trotwood are about as close Centerville and Alter

If your family actually moves, why should you have to sit out at all?

If the family actually moves, then you would not have to sit. In reality, you could play for 4 different schools in 4 years and never miss a game if your family physically moved all 4 years. Incoming freshman can open enroll into any district that allows it and not have to sit as well. After your freshman year, if you attempted to open enroll in another district you would have to sit the back half of the season and the tournament unless you meet one of the several exemptions provided by OHSAA rules.

If your family actually moves, why should you have to sit out at all?
You shouldn't have to sit out at all if your family moves. I definitely wasn't trying to say that. I was speaking more about if you transfer to a school outside of the district you live in before your Freshman year, then you don't have to sit. That's my understanding.... not if you physically move where you are living.

If the family actually moves, then you would not have to sit. In reality, you could play for 4 different schools in 4 years and never miss a game if your family physically moved all 4 years. Incoming freshman can open enroll into any district that allows it and not have to sit as well. After your freshman year, if you attempted to open enroll in another district you would have to sit the back half of the season and the tournament unless you meet one of the several exemptions provided by OHSAA rules.
That's what I was getting at. Like the kid from Fairmont that decided to go to Trotwood. He's actually joining Trotwood as an incoming Freshman, so he won't have to sit out at all.

In many urban districts it is not unusual for kids to move two or three times in one school year. I’ve seen kids start the year in one school move at new year and be back in the first school before the fourth quarter.

There is many, many purposes of HS Athletics that vary greatly based on many factors. Which one were you referring to above?

How about loyalty to something other than yourself for starters. Team sports are supposed to teach working together to accomplish a goal. Understanding that others count on you, and meeting that responsibility is huge. Not abandoning your friends and thinking only of yourself. High school sports exist in the school environment to teach life lessons. When that is lost the main purpose for them no longer exists. Schools should be doing everything possible to teach loyalty and empathy for others. I agree that high school athletics have many purposes. I just think this should remain at the top of the list.

How about loyalty to something other than yourself for starters. Team sports are supposed to teach working together to accomplish a goal. Understanding that others count on you, and meeting that responsibility is huge. Not abandoning your friends and thinking only of yourself. High school sports exist in the school environment to teach life lessons. When that is lost the main purpose for them no longer exists. Schools should be doing everything possible to teach loyalty and empathy for others. I agree that high school athletics have many purposes. I just think this should remain at the top of the list.
Do you have that same standard for the academic stars who want to finish top of the class for personal reasons?

These kids and parents need to be more proactive regarding these "announcements".. Dayton Public is already on OHSAA radar! More importantly those other schools in Division 2 who will be affected by these moves will blow the whistle. Hustle in silence.

Applaud academic achievements always, but that is not a group or team endeavor.
It is possible to use team sports to reach life/family changing goals (scholarships) while also being loyal to your team/friends. Do not get caught up in the Top 500 kids and their journey. The majority of kids are a lot closer to your view of the world.

Society's holistically not like that anymore

I believe Dunbar and Trotwood are going to be the top dogs this year. Whoever lands the #3 seed in the tourney is going to have seeds 4-8 probably jump in with them. I think Alter will be good again this year. The GCL will be dogfight this year since the the talent level is pretty solid and even across the league. I'm curious to see how Springboro will do this year with their new HC who was the AHC at LaSalle.