Dalton Basketball Opening

187xovr

Dalton has their varsity boys basketball job posted. This makes four WCAL coaches from last season that will not return next season. Coaching at a small school must be rough these days.

Thoughts on candidates here? There is certainly a lot of talent, especially the 9th and 10th graders

The timing of this is interesting. That could and probably means a limited search. Not many head coaches are going to leave their programs in mid June. Could end up with an internal candidate, an assistant from another program (there are lots of good ones) or maybe an older guy that retired, but might be lured back, especially with the talent that’s coming up and back.

So we still dont know why? assuming Monter resigned and maybe going back to old school? (Jackson is where he came from correct?). Dalton and Smithville still open and within close prox to each other. crazy how wayne county is turning over.

I think this article is the reason the saying "don't believe everything you read in the papers" came about. This would appear to be the positive spin from the Dalton administration's perspective. Matt Monter would have never been looking for an administrative job if not for the discord between the basketball program and the administration at Dalton.

I tend to agree, while I do think he wanted a principal job, he and the admin were not on the same page

you nailed it 187xovr...why would a young coach who has been a part of a state championship, has been building since day 1, has made modest gains in his first 2 yrs that were avg as expected and now as the program is about to take off for the next 4 yrs at least, leave? This roster is loaded grades 9-10-11. I know someone close to the situation and when your AD and principal are making decisions pertaining to teams you should play, about situations inside your locker room and on who should be on your coaching staff and you as head coach are not, it loses it's appeal quickly. I believe this is what caused him to look elsewhere. It's a shame. Fine young coach from a strong coaching tree. With the resume he has it was just a matter of time.

I think the opinion above is a bit biased. Probably a friend of said Coach. I also know someone close to the situation and they tell me a different story about his decisions and about an assistant coach.
At this juncture it’s neither here or there. Monter is moving on and Dalton is too. Whoever gets the job will have some nice talent over the next few years. The players will adjust and move on. Not everyone who’s coached at Jackson is the end all be all.

any ideas of who will take this job...

Not sure if any of the assistants will apply for the job, but it seems like a logical place to start with this late of a hire. They have two assistants on staff who have previous head coaching experience. I believe Kaleb Reed went 12-34 at Mapleton in a two year stint before coming to Dalton. Chris Hignight had similar results in two years leading Central Christian several years ago. I'm certain that candidates with better resumes than this will apply, but this is what is currently on staff.

I also have heard former Dalton coach Dave Potopsky has shown interest as well as assistant football coach Danny Edwards.

That would not be surprising. Reed and Hignight are both good guys with a little experience, although both must have been very young when they were head coaches considering how young they are now. Has Edwards coached hoops before?

Reed and Hignight look like viable candidates. I’m sure a few outside candidates will apply. My spies tell me Edwards was a JV Boys coach and varsity assistant at Central Catholic under Matt Creamer for three years, then two years as a boys JV and varsity assistant at Perry before going to Dalton. This would be his third year as the head JV girls coach at Dalton.

From what l have gathered, final interviews this week, starting today. Decision probably to come by the end of the week.

Any coaches from other schools apply? this will be a great job for the next few years. I would think a Luke Conley from Canton South, Shawn Green from Minerva, or Kyle McBride from East Canton might be up for this kind of challenge.

Conley and Green both young energetic guys but are at small schools in the EBC with uphill battles. McBride was in the regionals 2 years ago.

Definitely would have some intrigue for guys like this. It would be a slight upgrade (bc of the talent in place) over an East Canton or Minerva. Canton South job because of the tradition will prob trump little Dalton though.

just curious on Dalton fans thoughts

Danny Edwards, Morgan Wenger, and Kaleb Reed have interviewed for this job. A coach from outside of the county with state final four experience has also interviewed. Out of respect for his current team, I will not mention his name here. There might be others who have interviewed as well.

Any coaches from other schools apply? this will be a great job for the next few years. I would think a Luke Conley from Canton South, Shawn Green from Minerva, or Kyle McBride from East Canton might be up for this kind of challenge.

Conley and Green both young energetic guys but are at small schools in the EBC with uphill battles. McBride was in the regionals 2 years ago.

Definitely would have some intrigue for guys like this. It would be a slight upgrade (bc of the talent in place) over an East Canton or Minerva. Canton South job because of the tradition will prob trump little Dalton though.

just curious on Dalton fans thoughts

I would think that all of those guys would be intriguing for the Dalton job.

Some solid candidates, my uneducated guess at this point would be that Reed would be the leader in the clubhouse - has some experience, current assistant coach at Dalton, current teacher in the district. Did a nice job as the interim head football coach last year. That’s my guess, but who knows

any chance his leaving is salary related? I would think a Principal job just might be a little higher paying than a teacher / coach