D7 R25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love reading pre-game analysis post game. Dalton kids were a class act the entire game. Those kids are being raised right. Much respect

However, I was left shaking my head at the OT play calling by Dalton. 1st and the game on the 5rd line and they don't give it to 34 4 times? And the pass on 4th down just left me scratching my head.

I know Sunday morning coaching is easy, and I'm a ride or die guy with coaching, but how can you not stick with high probability plays?

Here's a video of the tying TD, the OT TD and the OT int https://www.wkbn.com/sports/warren-...-overtime-win-over-dalton-in-regional-finals/

edit: as always the OH report with a fantastic job.
I think 34 got hurt on that hit on their sidelines in the 2nd half. He definitely wasn't 100% and thats when they started running 20 more and QB keeps more.

Deeply sorry for your bitterness that JFK denied your application due to such poor grammar. Bet you had to fit in in one of them there pubic schools.
Nope went to a Catholic school from 2 grade to graduation. Just sucked at grammar and never knew it would be a issue til someone didn’t like what I texted.

Here’s to you—

Might as well burn it all down.

Oh Report highlights…

That pick late, was definitely a safety. ???

Just wanted to check back in and truly give props to these squads. Settled on D7/R25 this year. These teams did us proud. Absolutely violent clean old school game. Ice machines in overtime for sure. AD’s ought to schedule this one regularly. Now let’s beat NC!

Might as well burn it all down.

Oh Report highlights…

That pick late, was definitely a safety. ???

Just wanted to check back in and truly give props to these squads. Settled on D7/R25 this year. These teams did us proud. Absolutely violent clean old school game. Ice machines in overtime for sure. AD’s ought to schedule this one regularly. Now let’s beat NC!

“It is not a safety:

(2) if a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass…and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team’s possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the ball was intercepted …

(d) If the spot where the possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.”

Section 5, Article 1, Exception (2)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/14_Rule11_Scoring.pdf

So it’s neither a touchback nor a safety. It’s a turnover with the ball remaining in the field of play.

“It is not a safety:

(2) if a defensive player, in the field of play, intercepts a pass…and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team’s possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the ball was intercepted …

(d) If the spot where the possession changed is inside the one-yard line, the ball is to be spotted at the one-yard line.”

Section 5, Article 1, Exception (2)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/14_Rule11_Scoring.pdf

So it’s neither a touchback nor a safety. It’s a turnover with the ball remaining in the field of play.
Where did Kennedy get it? This is interesting because the Dalton/Lucas game had an identical play.

A great move. Hope they keep growing.
As do I. The service they provide to the schools and their fans is second to none. It’s nice when a guy living in South Carolina can watch games of schools near to where he grew up.

Unfortunately for me most of Shelby’s games is being done by WMFD Sports. Not that they’re terrible in any way, and they were free starting this year, but they have streaming issues and the announcers they get to the games are usually just God Awful.

Alright...where do I begin...

Dalton controlled the game for the first half - came out in the 2nd half and had 2 golden opportunities to go up by 3 or even 4 scores had they converted. Credit to JFK for standing strong on defense - it is what I feel ultimately won them the game!

Couple circumstances (not excuses) - 1st. someone mentioned about Schlabach being hurt, I think the better term would be banged up. Tweaked his wrist on the hit on the sideline where he came down on the ball (not the wind knocked out like someone mentioned earlier). 2nd. And probably the biggest circumstance of the game was Stutz. Stutz had an injury to his throwing wrist/hand. He had it heavily taped around his wrist AND thumb prior to kickoff. THIS is why you saw so many wounded ducks, and under-thrown deep balls to Malone all night. If you watch back, Malone had Brown beat numerous times on post patterns - Dalton just could not get the ball far enough down field on those plays.

Lastly, the blame game - this is unfortunately 1000000000% on the Dalton coaches.
-My observations as the game was happening are the same today looking back on it. Dalton started the game something like 0-8 or 1-8 passing - it was clear early that Stutz could not grip the ball with his hand. Should have limited the pass, the run game was effective enough even going against that big line and non-stop barrage of blitzing LBs.
-Offensive play calling issues did not just end at the continual attempts to throw the ball, but with the running plays called as well. There was not enough emphasis on getting Schlabach outside, in space. Called a jet sweep (the same one JFK ran about 15 times in the 2nd half) to Schlabach 1 time in the first half, it went for 46(?) yards down to the JFK 5 yard line. I believe he either didn't go back to that play at all, or only 1 other time the rest of the game.
-Geiser should have got more carries between the 20s if you wanted to run between the tackles all night, he was gashing the JFK interior almost every time he touched the ball.
-The formation that you ran from the goal line in OT was horrendous. Give Schlabach the ball from the deepback position and let him come down hill! Also - it was 4th and goal from the 1 yard line - again....Schlabach from the deep back position PLEEEEAZZZ!!!!!!!
-Defensively - played great for 3 quarters, maybe even longer. JFK found the jet sweep to Brown in the 4th quarter and continually went back to the well on that. Dalton did not adjust for that at all. Brown was literally the only player on the field for JFK that was going to beat you, and you just watched it happen.

That all being said - it was a great game, some of the hardest hitting on defense from both teams that I've ever seen in a high school football game. None of my blame game is meant to be a slight on JFK - they won the game, earned it, and they will represent R25 well! Just hard not to look back on the game and think Dalton should have won....

Got wind knocked out landed on ball that was all . Was fine . Not sure why he didn’t have more carries but wasn’t because of injuries
As long as Coach Dial remains at Dalton, that's going to be the question he'll have to answer at ball games, church picnics & the gas station - "why didn't you run the ball?" Followed closely behind by "Why did you throw so much?"

Dude took that team as far as they've ever gone, but that one is going to haunt them awhile.

That all being said - it was a great game, some of the hardest hitting on defense from both teams that I've ever seen in a high school football game. None of my blame game is meant to be a slight on JFK - they won the game, earned it, and they will represent R25 well! Just hard not to look back on the game and think Dalton should have won....
They definitely should have. Without #2, Kennedy loses going away. SMH. They're smart, man. They knew they didn't have enough to get back.

Last edited:

Dalton controlled the game for the first half - came out in the 2nd half and had 2 golden opportunities to go up by 3 or even 4 scores had they converted. Credit to JFK for standing strong on defense - it is what I feel ultimately won them the game!

Couple circumstances (not excuses) - 1st. someone mentioned about Schlabach being hurt, I think the better term would be banged up. Tweaked his wrist on the hit on the sideline where he came down on the ball (not the wind knocked out like someone mentioned earlier). 2nd. And probably the biggest circumstance of the game was Stutz. Stutz had an injury to his throwing wrist/hand. He had it heavily taped around his wrist AND thumb prior to kickoff. THIS is why you saw so many wounded ducks, and under-thrown deep balls to Malone all night. If you watch back, Malone had Brown beat numerous times on post patterns - Dalton just could not get the ball far enough down field on those plays.

Lastly, the blame game - this is unfortunately 1000000000% on the Dalton coaches.
-My observations as the game was happening are the same today looking back on it. Dalton started the game something like 0-8 or 1-8 passing - it was clear early that Stutz could not grip the ball with his hand. Should have limited the pass, the run game was effective enough even going against that big line and non-stop barrage of blitzing LBs.
-Offensive play calling issues did not just end at the continual attempts to throw the ball, but with the running plays called as well. There was not enough emphasis on getting Schlabach outside, in space. Called a jet sweep (the same one JFK ran about 15 times in the 2nd half) to Schlabach 1 time in the first half, it went for 46(?) yards down to the JFK 5 yard line. I believe he either didn't go back to that play at all, or only 1 other time the rest of the game.
-Geiser should have got more carries between the 20s if you wanted to run between the tackles all night, he was gashing the JFK interior almost every time he touched the ball.
-The formation that you ran from the goal line in OT was horrendous. Give Schlabach the ball from the deepback position and let him come down hill! Also - it was 4th and goal from the 1 yard line - again....Schlabach from the deep back position PLEEEEAZZZ!!!!!!!
-Defensively - played great for 3 quarters, maybe even longer. JFK found the jet sweep to Brown in the 4th quarter and continually went back to the well on that. Dalton did not adjust for that at all. Brown was literally the only player on the field for JFK that was going to beat you, and you just watched it happen.

I agree for the most part. I thought the first half was pretty even until Dalton gambled on 4th and 1 from their own 19 with about 3-4 minutes left. Their conversion and drive that followed that had them in the driver's seat at halftime.

I agree that Stutz had several balls flutter, but I did not think that he threw the ball that much differently than he has in other games. The competition was just better against JFK and the margin for error was less than it was in other games. Malone did beat Brown Jr on some patterns, but Brown Jr covered him better than anybody else has the last three years. Many times he was in press man coverage with no help over the top, which would usually be a recipe for disaster against Malone. Stutz was also victimized by 5-8 balls that were flat out dropped by his receivers. Those drops had as much to do with Dalton losing the game as anything else.

I was confused by the play calling on both sides. I thought Brown Jr could have run for 350-400 yards against Dalton. For some reason, JFK did not start riding him until mid-late third quarter. I thought it was fairly obvious that Dalton was going to have trouble with his speed and athleticism early on. On the Dalton side, Schlabach obviously should have carried the ball more. I wondered on these boards earlier in the week if Dalton was willing to give him 30+ carries if they were in a tough, grind it out type of game. The answer to that was an emphatic no.

I agree for the most part. I thought the first half was pretty even until Dalton gambled on 4th and 1 from their own 19 with about 3-4 minutes left. Their conversion and drive that followed that had them in the driver's seat at halftime.

I agree that Stutz had several balls flutter, but I did not think that he threw the ball that much differently than he has in other games. The competition was just better against JFK and the margin for error was less than it was in other games. Malone did beat Brown Jr on some patterns, but Brown Jr covered him better than anybody else has the last three years. Many times he was in press man coverage with no help over the top, which would usually be a recipe for disaster against Malone. Stutz was also victimized by 5-8 balls that were flat out dropped by his receivers. Those drops had as much to do with Dalton losing the game as anything else.

I was confused by the play calling on both sides. I thought Brown Jr could have run for 350-400 yards against Dalton. For some reason, JFK did not start riding him until mid-late third quarter. I thought it was fairly obvious that Dalton was going to have trouble with his speed and athleticism early on. On the Dalton side, Schlabach obviously should have carried the ball more. I wondered on these boards earlier in the week if Dalton was willing to give him 30+ carries if they were in a tough, grind it out type of game. The answer to that was an emphatic no.
Cannot believe I left this out - Stutz was not throwing a great ball Saturday night, but when the ball hits your in the hands/body on what would equate to fairly routine catches (not asking for miracle diving/leaping catches here)...you've just gotta come done with the ball.

This goes to the coaching discussed before the game. If you only have 1 way to win - why would you do anything else?

Schlabach is a REALLY good football player, but you have to admit it's strange that he's NEVER been the focal point of Dalton's offense until this year. Then, in the biggest moments, they didn't give it to him enough.

This goes to the coaching discussed before the game. If you only have 1 way to win - why would you do anything else?

Schlabach is a REALLY good football player, but you have to admit it's strange that he's NEVER been the focal point of Dalton's offense until this year. Then, in the biggest moments, they didn't give it to him enough.
RG......the more ?...I think...?...about this, the more I...?

Absolutely puzzling that Schlabach was used so little during his career at Dalton. With his talent, he would be the career rushing leader at many schools. At Dalton, he probably only had double digit carries 8-10 times in his career.

I'm fine with who I am. Thanks. You own a mirror?
Now you are being mean. I have never been mean towards Lucas, but now I feel I need to be. It’s actually more just being truthful than mean though. We would beat Lucas without #2 and probably would have been able to rest a couple guys that have been playing through injury. That is why we were rooting for the win vs Dalton.

Absolutely puzzling that Schlabach was used so little during his career at Dalton. With his talent, he would be the career rushing leader at many schools. At Dalton, he probably only had double digit carries 8-10 times in his career.
I agree with you guys. He should have been the heartbeat of the team.

I can think of a reason ?????

And they weren’t dropped passes - they were contested balls.

Something that was picked up on in film - was that Dalton receivers were often wide open and then made big plays. But, on contested balls or where contact was going to be made - many incompletions.

Status
Not open for further replies.