D7 R25 2023

Also, you deserve KUDOS. You got a wee bit riled up in the last few days leading up to the game, but never crossed any lines. There's jabronis out there claiming schools should get moved up a division every time they win a ring and down if they lose.

That's why we love you, Cas. You're emotional, but not stupid.
Lol - it was fake riled up just to cause a stir. I knew they didn't have much of a chance. Did I expect them to be a little more resistant, yes. But my deep down, honest opinion was that this Dalton had peaked - a 7 point loss to Kirtland in week 1, would have probably been a 28 point loss to Kirtland in week 16. I think they got everything out of this team that they were able to give - they beat all the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the ones they were on paper supposed to lose to. That's not a slight, but a compliment - because most teams are left feeling like they could have done more - not this team, they can 100% for sure say they gave it everything they had. It's a sign that the program is evolving into something bigger than they've ever been. Kirtland and MSML don't happen overnight - this is what Dalton is building toward.

Last edited:
Lol - it was fake riled up just to cause a stir. I knew they didn't have much of a chance. Did I expect them to be a little more resistant, yes. But my deep down, honest opinion was that this Dalton had peaked - a 7 point loss to Kirtland in week 1, would have probably been a 28 point loss to Kirtland in week 16. I think they got everything out of this team that they were able to give - they beat all the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the ones they were on paper supposed to lose to. That's not a slight, but a compliment - because most teams are left feeling like they could have done more - not this team, they can 100% for sure say they gave it everything they had. It's a sign that the program is evolving into something bigger than they've ever been. Kirtland and MSML don't happen overnight - this is what Dalton is building toward.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

COMPLETELY with you in this. I’ve been hard on Dalton over the years mostly because of friends & family who always made an excuse when they lost to a parochial or ‘urban’ school. It was always a ‘we coulda won if not for them’ thing. Having seen MSML/ & Kirtland up close the last 2 years Dalton now has an opportunity to become one of “them.” Have no doubt the coach & kids are ready for that, but the question will be if the community buys in.

COMPLETELY with you in this. I’ve been hard on Dalton over the years mostly because of friends & family who always made an excuse when they lost to a parochial or ‘urban’ school. It was always a ‘we coulda won if not for them’ thing. Having seen MSML/ & Kirtland up close the last 2 years Dalton now has an opportunity to become one of “them.” Have no doubt the coach & kids are ready for that, but the question will be if the community buys in.
A trip to the finals and a season like this is what can change a program - because now people have a taste, of not only the success, but also a taste of what those next level programs are and what they're about. You almost get a peak at the blueprint to building that type of program. It causes an expectation change within the program. I think, and really hope they run with this....the next couple years will tell the story of what they took away from this run!

I scratch my head how at small schools like Kirtland and ML the cupboard never seems to go bear. When I look at Dalton, I see a strong group of kids through this year’s freshman class, and then both the numbers and in my opinion the talent drops off. It seems to me most small schools are not immune to dry spells and there are few exceptions.

I scratch my head how at small schools like Kirtland and ML the cupboard never seems to go bear. When I look at Dalton, I see a strong group of kids through this year’s freshman class, and then both the numbers and in my opinion the talent drops off. It seems to me most small schools are not immune to dry spells and there are few exceptions.
Appropriate to bring up on this thread, but talent is only a part of being successful. Look at what happened to JFK. There was way more than enough talent there, but when the adults started pushing their agendas the program got ripped apart (and we lost a LOT of posters from earlier this summer).

That's the challenge for Dalton. For them (or anyone) to take their program to the next level the coaches, kids, families & community need to be on the same page. If not, then this is just a case of 'we win when we have enough talent.'

There's no shame in that. There's a reason very few get programs get over that hurdle.

Places like ML and Kirtland and a few others are the way that they are because of the culture that is established. The kids that won titles this year have literally known nothing else since they were toddlers. They have seen and been exposed to what it takes to be at that level. The cupboard doesn't become bare because the kids understand everything that it takes to fill it. I would argue that it is easier now for Marion to keep winning than it was their first few titles. They are the most extreme(in a good way) example of culture over anything.

Places like ML and Kirtland and a few others are the way that they are because of the culture that is established. The kids that won titles this year have literally known nothing else since they were toddlers. They have seen and been exposed to what it takes to be at that level. The cupboard doesn't become bare because the kids understand everything that it takes to fill it. I would argue that it is easier now for Marion to keep winning than it was their first few titles. They are the most extreme(in a good way) example of culture over anything.
Thought about this watching Kirtland win D6. Seeing them week 1 against Dalton it was apparent they weren’t the same team that went toe to toe with MSML in 2022 title game. They knew it too and improved significantly over the course of the year. This was not one of the best teams Kirtland has had, but those kids knew what the standard was and never stopped working toward it.

Thought about this watching Kirtland win D6. Seeing them week 1 against Dalton it was apparent they weren’t the same team that went toe to toe with MSML in 2022 title game. They knew it too and improved significantly over the course of the year. This was not one of the best teams Kirtland has had, but those kids knew what the standard was and never stopped working toward it.
Exactly! Kirtland and MSML have talent for sure - but they're not some uber, superstar based team. Talent-wise, Dalton definitely matches up. It's everything else, specifically the culture, and the work ethic. And that's not a slight to the work ethic of Dalton, they work their tails off....Kirtland and MS are just different.

I havent seen anything or looked for that matter, but I wonder if Dalton has had kids back in the weight room yet...? Because I know for a fact that Kirtland and MS have....

Appropriate to bring up on this thread, but talent is only a part of being successful. Look at what happened to JFK. There was way more than enough talent there, but when the adults started pushing their agendas the program got ripped apart (and we lost a LOT of posters from earlier this summer).

That's the challenge for Dalton. For them (or anyone) to take their program to the next level the coaches, kids, families & community need to be on the same page. If not, then this is just a case of 'we win when we have enough talent.'

There's no shame in that. There's a reason very few get programs get over that hurdle.
JFK posters are lost that is very much accurate.........................................Lost a football program that could compete year in and year out with R25 and be successful on the state level. Now dumbing down the schedule to be somewhat competitive with inferior opponents and for it not to be child abuse. The administration at JFK is totally lost and the proof is glaring. JFK just cancelled all boys JV basketball games this year due to lack of players. This senior class of basketball players will compete for sure, could end up seeing Dalton again. In 2024 JFK Football will not compete for anything. 2024 JFK boys soccer will have trouble fielding a team. 2024 JFK boys basketball will have trouble fielding a team. I hope they like what they see in the mirror. Nobody to blame but themselves

JFK lost the opportunity to capitalize on the state voucher system, the new backpack law, and WGH having lean years on the field for many years now. JFK should be the Archbishop Hoban of Trumbull County for small schools football. Needed turf field and football only complex on school grounds. The President at JFK couldn't even fundraise/sell Girl Scout Cookies which literally sells themselves💯

Football in Northeast OH drives the bus. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Now FSU fans are just as lost now with the CFP debacle.

JFK on life support
Steelers in shambles
FSU being robbed
I AM LOST:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Exactly! Kirtland and MSML have talent for sure - but they're not some uber, superstar based team. Talent-wise, Dalton definitely matches up. It's everything else, specifically the culture, and the work ethic. And that's not a slight to the work ethic of Dalton, they work their tails off....Kirtland and MS are just different.

I havent seen anything or looked for that matter, but I wonder if Dalton has had kids back in the weight room yet...? Because I know for a fact that Kirtland and MS have....
Yup. In the equation of Kids-Coaching-Community the part that always changes is the kids. The coaching & the community are the things that keeps programs "up" when the talent of the kids fluctuates.

JFK posters are lost that is very much accurate.........................................Lost a football program that could compete year in and year out with R25 and be successful on the state level. Now dumbing down the schedule to be somewhat competitive with inferior opponents and for it not to be child abuse. The administration at JFK is totally lost and the proof is glaring. JFK just cancelled all boys JV basketball games this year due to lack of players. This senior class of basketball players will compete for sure, could end up seeing Dalton again. In 2024 JFK Football will not compete for anything. 2024 JFK boys soccer will have trouble fielding a team. 2024 JFK boys basketball will have trouble fielding a team. I hope they like what they see in the mirror. Nobody to blame but themselves

JFK lost the opportunity to capitalize on the state voucher system, the new backpack law, and WGH having lean years on the field for many years now. JFK should be the Archbishop Hoban of Trumbull County for small schools football. Needed turf field and football only complex on school grounds. The President at JFK couldn't even fundraise/sell Girl Scout Cookies which literally sells themselves💯

Football in Northeast OH drives the bus. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

JFK on life support
Steelers in shambles
FSU being robbed
My apologies - when I heard what happened with the CFP you were one of the first people I thought of. Should have reached out.

But now that I know you're also a Steelers fan...

ha ha simpsons GIF

Almost equidistant to Cleveland & Pittsburgh from Warren..................................City of Champions is where I choose to roam
Steelers fan as well. The last two losses by PIT were the worst consecutive losses I have ever witnessed.
ARI and NE are total sh-t. What an embarrassment.

Steelers fan as well. The last two losses by PIT were the worst consecutive losses I have ever witnessed.
ARI and NE are total sh-t. What an embarrassment.
What?! GGGeeeezusssss you're a Steelers fan!?!? Ughh

Oh well - some of the best times of my Pro football loving life right now. Steelers are in purgatory - no QB and never bad enough to get the good QB. Love it. Enjoy Shittsburg fans...enjoy!

Almost equidistant to Cleveland & Pittsburgh from Warren..................................City of Champions is where I choose to roam
Completely understand. My Ytown area friends are almost an even split. That said, after enduring the last 30 years of Browns fandom, it's physically impossible for me to avoid taking a shot when the opportunity presents itself.

The PA version of MSML just won another state title last night. Aliquippa (WPIAL Powerhouse-home of Ty Law and Darrell Revis) won the 4A crown (5th title overall) last night 60-14. Due to their enrollment the Quips should be in A. They opted to play in 3A. Won state in 2021 and were bumped to 4A due to the PA CB formula. Typically, have less than 30 kids on their roster.

The PA version of MSML just won another state title last night. Aliquippa (WPIAL Powerhouse-home of Ty Law and Darrell Revis) won the 4A crown (5th title overall) last night 60-14. Due to their enrollment the Quips should be in A. They opted to play in 3A. Won state in 2021 and were bumped to 4A due to the PA CB formula. Typically, have less than 30 kids on their roster.
and DITKA, how could you forget Ditka?

JFK on life support
Steelers in shambles
FSU being robbed