D5 R18 Final - Eastwood vs Otsego

Hback

Guaranteed to have a Northern Buckeye Conference school in the final four.

Otsego beat the Eagles way back in week 2 by a score of 17-7. Eastwood was plagued with penalties but Otsego was also without their running back Leiter as he was serving a suspension.

Should be another good one.

The biggest question right now is will Otsego reach out to Perrysburg or Lake to see if they will host the game? Doing that allows attendance to go way up and gives you turf to play on. But I would also totally understand if Otsego wanted to keep it at their place.

Guaranteed to have a Northern Buckeye Conference school in the final four.

Otsego beat the Eagles way back in week 2 by a score of 17-7. Eastwood was plagued with penalties but Otsego was also without their running back Leiter as he was serving a suspension.

Should be another good one.

The biggest question right now is will Otsego reach out to Perrysburg or Lake to see if they will host the game? Doing that allows attendance to go way up and gives you turf to play on. But I would also totally understand if Otsego wanted to keep it at their place.
The game will be played at Otsego.

Last edited:
Seating capacity is not an issue this season.

Care to explain? I am making up numbers here but, Otsego is only allowed 500 fans total versus Perrysburg who can likely have 1000 total fans. See the difference. Does Otsego want the "experience" and community support, or would they prefer to stay at home.

Care to explain? I am making up numbers here but, Otsego is only allowed 500 fans total versus Perrysburg who can likely have 1000 total fans. See the difference. Does Otsego want the "experience" and community support, or would they prefer to stay at home.
Its not about the number of fans. Family units are the only ones that are supposed to attend. The OHSAA stresses the over and over on a weekly basis ad nauseum. There is no way a game gets moved to a bigger venue just so more fans can attend. Otsego would have zero say in this also.

Perhaps I am confused as well. The total number of tickets would alter based on “safe” seating capacity of the stadium. So yes, the tickets are given to finally members only, but could they not bump it from 4 (making up the number) to 6 per family if the stadium could hold more people?
Even if you could move it, might be more advantageous to keep it where you feel the most comfortable.

Its not about the number of fans. Family units are the only ones that are supposed to attend. The OHSAA stresses the over and over on a weekly basis ad nauseum. There is no way a game gets moved to a bigger venue just so more fans can attend. Otsego would have zero say in this also.
I think your last statement (Otsego would have zero say in this also) is wrong. The state has said if schools can fine other locations that host is fine.

Says something about a league when two members meet up in the playoffs. Really excited to see this game played again. As of today the weather next weekend is supposed to be really nice (possibly 70 degrees during the day). Should be a good one.

I am guessing both these schools sent a few dozen kids a year to BGSU. They should return the favor and let us have the Doyt!

I am guessing both these schools sent a few dozen kids a year to BGSU. They should return the favor and let us have the Doyt!
Is the OHSAA's rule 10%? I thought I heard that somewhere?

Doyt Perry Stadium holds 24,000 so theoretically you could have 2,400 in attendance which would be right around the typical turnout for a Falcon game. :ROFLMAO: Win-win.

Go Rockets!

The OHSAA is obviously not going down the path of maximizing potential attendance. Every thing they have done to date has been to restrict attendance, keeping gatherings small for safety reasons (I assume since that's how the State is operating).

Fans want the OHSAA to take a top-down approach; find or use the biggest possible stadium that gets us to or close to 1500 tickets.

Seems the OHSAA is taking a bottom-up approach; take # of players/coaches/staff/etc. and determine the 'X' tickets per person or school that keeps attendance under the home stadium's adjusted capacity.

For the State Finals and Semifinals, I'll go out on a limb and guess they are setting an arbitrary 'X' tickets per person or school and then looking for stadiums with sufficient adjusted capacity to accommodate this.

Last edited:
The OHSAA is obviously not going down the path of maximizing potential attendance. Every thing they have done to date has been to restrict attendance, keeping gatherings small for safety reasons (I assume since that's how the State is operating).

All the fans want the OHSAA to take a top-down approach; find the biggest possible stadium that gets us to or close to 1500 tickets.

Seems the OHSAA is taking a bottom-up approach; take # of players/coaches/staff/etc. and determine the 'X' tickets per person that keeps attendance under the home stadium's adjusted capacity.

For the State Finals and Semifinals, I'll go out on a limb and guess they are setting an arbitrary 'X' tickets per person or school and then looking for stadiums with sufficient adjusted capacity to accommodate this.
It makes sense. The OHSAA has problems making money outside of a Covid-19 season. Tough to grab a bigger venue for a game when you cannot pack the place and make enough money to justify its use.

Seems like this is Otsegos year. Coaches son is a Junior QB with his senior brother at WR. Seem like they have a pretty solid front on both sides of the ball with upperclassmen as well. Eastwood is experienced up front and young in the secondary. I expect a higher score but similar outcome, 27-21 Otsego

Fairview already moved the Northwood game to Defiance, for the exact purpose of more fans.

For the Knights to win:
- Establish a run game early
- Get their receivers open on intermediate routes (Eastwood's weakness would be their secondary)
- Keep your QB protected - can't lose him. Don't let him get hit.
- Stack the box on defense and make Eastwood throw 15+ times

For the Eagles to win:
- Must assert their will early on. Need to pick up a couple first downs early on in their opening possessions. Back to back 3 and outs to start the game won't bode well.
- Get pressure on their quarterback. Eastwood has also been a zone team, but maybe this week look to man up a bit more and send some blitzes.
- Find a way to turn Otsego over. Interception, fumble, botched punt, etc.
- They will have to hit some big pass plays. Can't miss an open guy this week.

All in all, should be a dandy of a game. Evenly matched games like these typically comes down to who can run the ball and who makes fewer mistakes.

Going with the Eagles tonight 21-17 in a mild upset. Eastwood gets their 2nd final four appearance in 4 years.

14-6 Eastwood after 1st.

opening kickoff returned for touchdown to start the game for Eastwood. Back and forth since.

21-21 at half. Great game so far. Otsego may have some momentum right now. Opening possession will be big here for both teams.

28-21 Knights. All Otsego the last 15 minutes. 21 unanswered points. Eagles on the ropes.

Couple turnovers by both teams to end the quarter. Otsego looked to lose their running back to an injury though. 28-21 Knights. Otsego ball driving on the Eastwood 43. A score here all but seals it for Otsego.

Eastwood and Otsego swap turnover on downs. 4:30 to go. Otsego ball up 7 on their 48. Both teams with 3 timeouts.

44 yard field goal by Otsego to go up by 10 with 2 minutes to go. That should do it. Otsego/Kirtland(?) final four next week. Good luck Knights!