5. Richmond Hts. (3) 14-4
6. Peebles 16-2
7. Lucas 15-1
8. Glouster Trimble 13-2
9. Berlin Hiland 13-4
10. Toledo Christian 14-2

Others receiving 12 or more points: McDonald 25, Ottoville 23, Malvern 20,
Greenwich South Central 20, Grandview Heights 17, Norwalk St. Paul 14

10 first place votes for New Boston? Wow.

Last edited:

DIVISION IV

1. Columbus Grove (4) 17-0
2. New Boston Glenwood (10) 18-1
3. Zanesville Rosecrans 15-1
4. Antwerp 16-0
5. Richmond Hts. (3) 14-4
6. Peebles 16-2
7. Lucas 15-1
8. Glouster Trimble 13-2
9. Berlin Hiland 13-4
10. Toledo Christian 14-2

Others receiving 12 or more points: McDonald 25, Ottoville 23, Malvern 20,
Greenwich South Central 20, Grandview Heights 17, Norwalk St. Paul 14

10 first place votes for New Boston? Wow.
New Boston is a farce. I'm not sure how Fort Recovery isn't given consideration and how Ottoville is out of the top 10. I would also expect Delphos St. John's to get consideration. I supposed Northwest Ohio area shouldn't get all of the love, but considering four teams have gone to state from the area in the past two years, it would be a no brainer. Even Ottoville has only lost to Grove, Antwerp, and St. Johns. To not be top 10 is pretty far fetched to me.

New Boston is a farce. I'm not sure how Fort Recovery isn't given consideration and how Ottoville is out of the top 10. I would also expect Delphos St. John's to get consideration. I supposed Northwest Ohio area shouldn't get all of the love, but considering four teams have gone to state from the area in the past two years, it would be a no brainer. Even Ottoville has only lost to Grove, Antwerp, and St. Johns. To not be top 10 is pretty far fetched to me.
Is Ft. Recovery really that good? Have not seen them play yet.

Is Ft. Recovery really that good? Have not seen them play yet.
They have a couple of "good" losses like Versailles and St. Johns in OT. A couple of good wins as well. I personally haven't seen anyone as good as Shawnee this year, and I think Fort Recovery has them this weekend, so I would be interested to see how close they can keep that one. But, I would say they are one of the better MAC schools out there this year that I've seen and that typically equates into very solid playoff runs.

South west bias at play from poll voters. In the south west- Jackson Center, Ft Recovery and St John's should potentially be ranked in top 10. Minster, Botkins and Ft Loramie should have some votes as potential candidates for top 10.

From what I consider south west there are 0 ranked and 0 in contention.

And Ottoville has a recent win over Anna which lost a couple early (football hangover) but since has been crushing very good teams. I think it was 1/21 when ottoville beat Anna, not back in December.

Across the board, I think the entire D4 Top 10 is about as weak as I can ever remember. Not a knock on Columbus Grove at
all, as they probably have as good of shot as any D4 team in the state to win the trophy this year. There is no one team that appears to
be the "powerhouse" team as in many previous years. Could be a year when an unranked underdog gets hot at tournament time and
crashes the party at Columbus. In any case, good luck to all the NW Ohio D4 teams .

JB

Didn’t mean any disrespect. That’s why I asked for opinions since I have not seen them play.
I didn't take it as disrespectful.

Frankly I'm shocked at the seeding and the draw. The Indians have won a lot of close games this year and after the drubbing Shawnee gave them they might not have a positive point differential on the season.

I didn't take it as disrespectful.

Frankly I'm shocked at the seeding and the draw. The Indians have won a lot of close games this year and after the drubbing Shawnee gave them they might not have a positive point differential on the season.
Shawnee is now in a tie for the #1 team in the state in the D2 polls. They are the real deal. I would be shocked if they aren't in Columbus and I have them as my favorite to win it all.

That said, congrats on the 1 seed. With everyone else moving to the other side, that should give you a clear path to the District finals (I'm assuming you are in a super sectional?).

Across the board, I think the entire D4 Top 10 is about as weak as I can ever remember. Not a knock on Columbus Grove at
all, as they probably have as good of shot as any D4 team in the state to win the trophy this year. There is no one team that appears to
be the "powerhouse" team as in many previous years. Could be a year when an unranked underdog gets hot at tournament time and
crashes the party at Columbus. In any case, good luck to all the NW Ohio D4 teams .

JB
Have you seen either Grove or Antwerp play? Grove was in regionals last year. They are legit. Antwerp is tough. They are really good as well. Both teams have 1000 point scorers (I believe) and I wouldn't doubt either of them coming out of NW Ohio to win it all.

On a different note, I am hearing Richmond Heights is being looked at as disqualified for this year's tournament due to rules they broke taking their team to unsanctioned tournaments during the regular season. Is this just a rumor or has anyone else heard this is a real investigation?

Shawnee is now in a tie for the #1 team in the state in the D2 polls. They are the real deal. I would be shocked if they aren't in Columbus and I have them as my favorite to win it all.

That said, congrats on the 1 seed. With everyone else moving to the other side, that should give you a clear path to the District finals (I'm assuming you are in a super sectional?).
We take nothing for granted. Tournament wins are always earned and never a given.

Most of our wins have been by 5 or less. O expect tourney games to be exciting, close affairs.

No that's Cleveland Hts basketball team,that is being disqualified, there a D1 school,go to the Cleveland plain dealer newspaper on line you read about it but here's is how the plain dealer ranks D4 teams,it seems pretty decent
1 Richmond Hts
2 Toledo Christian
3 Columbus Grove
4 Antwerp
5 Berlin Hiland
6Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans.
7 Ottoville
8 Peebles
9 Malvern
10 Lucas
this is not bad, but they have my Hawks to high,were good , but not really good and were not a great team

No that's Cleveland Hts basketball team,that is being disqualified, there a D1 school,go to the Cleveland plain dealer newspaper on line you read about it but here's is how the plain dealer ranks D4 teams,it seems pretty decent
1 Richmond Hts
2 Toledo Christian
3 Columbus Grove
4 Antwerp
5 Berlin Hiland
7 Ottoville
8 Peebles
9 Malvern
10 Lucas
this is not bad, but they have my Hawks to high,were good , but not really good and were not a great team
Pretty solid ranking.

Hey hhawks, you attended the lone Lucas loss vs Waynedale. Remember when I said our best player was out with the flu. Well, the following Monday he returned vs Crestview and dropped 43 points. 9 threes. Both school records. Lol.

Pretty solid ranking.

Hey hhawks, you attended the lone Lucas loss vs Waynedale. Remember when I said our best player was out with the flu. Well, the following Monday he returned vs Crestview and dropped 43 points. 9 threes. Both school records. Lol.
Yea I didn't realize your best player was out, after the game I thought Waynedale you did a pretty good job of beating this Lucas team,then a few days later, to find out they were with out there best player,I really didn't think you could have beat Norwayne at there place,I wascsupprised at that score

Lucas has a really nice team ,loved to have seen my Hawks play Lucas on a neutral floor,I think that would have been a great game

Last edited:
1 Richmond Hts
2 Toledo Christian
3 Columbus Grove
4 Antwerp
5 Berlin Hiland
7 Ottoville
8 Peebles
9 Malvern
10 Lucas
Sadly, Grove and/or Ottoville will knock eachother out of Districts........and the winner of that will likely see an undefeated Antwerp team in Regional semis.

It's been a long time since I've seen a district as stacked as the Elida district, and a regional semifinal game which could feature two of the top 3 teams in the state, with both being undefeated (Grove and Antwerp). At least in my neck of the woods.

Again, not all of the love needs to go to NW Ohio, but its crazy how good these teams are and a couple of them won't touch district finals.

Don't get me started on. that one, it's took me a couple days to cool down from that ordeal
They need to go back to 1 and 2 have to go in opposite brackets. If not, this will become somewhat of a trend. It’s within the rules but not good for HS basketball with the new home court tournament setup.

They need to go back to 1 and 2 have to go in opposite brackets. If not, this will become somewhat of a trend. It’s within the rules but not good for HS basketball with the new home court tournament setup.
It's no different than any tournament, as both teams will get their ticket allotment. If one team or others don't like it then request a different sectional or go to the district manager and request that neutral sites be used (along with all of the athletic directors in the district). I personally like the move. If you aren't afraid to get knocked out in the second round of the tourney, or if you think you can throw the knock out blow, then go ahead and take it! I suppose I'm a bit used to it. as I posted earlier...there will be some very good teams that won't make it out of sectionals in our super sectional and some consensus top 5 teams that won't make it out of districts, just because of the area we are in.

The higher seed home Game setup was done because attendance at first game or 2 of tournaments was bad. Don’t think it was setup for what happened with Hiland/Rosecrans. I’m the State will take a look at this manipulation of the system and maybe go back to 1 and 2 Must go in opposite brackets going forward.

The higher seed home Game setup was done because attendance at first game or 2 of tournaments was bad. Don’t think it was setup for what happened with Hiland/Rosecrans. I’m the State will take a look at this manipulation of the system and maybe go back to 1 and 2 Must go in opposite brackets going forward.
I would venture to say that the Hiland and Rosecrans game will have a crowd. The OHSAA did what they set out to accomplish then. The only way to change the system would be to go to neutral games and the area would need to have approved sites.

Sure, the old, conventional wisdom is that when you choose your spot on the bracket, you want to avoid playing the best teams as long as possible. But that's all it is - conventional wisdom. It doesn't mean teams have to, if given the choice. If Rosecrans was sure these 2 would be the final 2, they were smart to do it this way. It was a genius move, and they were well within their right to do so. Other than Hiland fans being upset about having to play a top team on the road, who else has a reason to be upset about it?

Could Hiland have passed, too, then gone into the same sectional as Malvern to prevent them from having to travel to Rosecrans? If so, then they have no right to complain because they could have avoided it altogether.

And from a community standpoint, Rosecrans will have a HUGE gate and surely make a killing from concessions - good for all their different fundraising clubs. When you earn the #1 seed, you earn the right.

Yea we could have past, but Rosecrans was hoping that we go to Malvern side of the bracket,there thinking was if we did that, they only have to face one the other two contenders,well guess what they still MIGHT have to face ,the other two contenders, it's real funny how people talk on here, about this matter, and sure we could have done this or that, I'm sure if YOUR team , was the center of all this controversy it will be a different story, it is what is, we've move on we will be ready for them,in about two weeks

Yea we could have past, but Rosecrans was hoping that we go to Malvern side of the bracket,there thinking was if we did that, they only have to face one the other two contenders,well guess what they still MIGHT have to face ,the other two contenders, it's real funny how people talk on here, about this matter, and sure we could have done this or that, I'm sure if YOUR team , was the center of all this controversy it will be a different story, it is what is, we've move on we will be ready for them,in about two weeks
They haven't beaten us in the tournament,I know it's been 10or15 years, since they have or could have been longer, being no 1 seed this there only hope of beating us is on there HOME floor

The format for sectional and district are determined by the District boards....not the OHSAA. I've never heard of it being "required" that the #1 and #2 had to go on opposite sides of the bracket.....it just normally happens. I'm sure this isn't the first time that this has happened. As far as playing at home, again, the District boards set the format. In the NW District there are no teams playing in their home gyms. I heard in the SW district that the draw happened in a couple games and the district changed the sites after the draw so the teams weren't playing at home.