D2 State Semi-final: R6 Toledo Central Catholic (13-1) vs R8 Kings Mills Kings (13-1) @ Wapakoneta

Who wins?

• Toledo Central Catholic by a lot

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Toledo Central Catholic by a little

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a little

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Kings Mills Kings by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not sure if it’s true but there’s some people saying the team that sells more tickets will be on the home side. I always thought the higher seed was on the home side regardless.
No, it has already been determined TCC is the home team:
Home Team listed first

Division I Friday, Nov. 25, 7 p.m.
(1) Lakewood St. Edward (13-1) vs. (1) Gahanna-Lincoln (13-1) at Mansfield Arlin Field
(1) Cin. Archbishop Moeller (13-1) vs. (2) Springfield (12-1) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Division II Friday, Nov. 25, 7 p.m.
(1) Massillon Washington (12-1) vs. (1) Akron Archbishop Hoban (13-1) at University of Akron InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field
(3) Toledo Central Catholic (13-1) vs. (4) Kings Mills Kings (13-1) at Wapakoneta Mercy Health Wapak Ford Field

here is a link: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-releases-football-state-semifinal-pairings-16

No, it has already been determined TCC is the home team:
Home Team listed first

Division I Friday, Nov. 25, 7 p.m.
(1) Lakewood St. Edward (13-1) vs. (1) Gahanna-Lincoln (13-1) at Mansfield Arlin Field
(1) Cin. Archbishop Moeller (13-1) vs. (2) Springfield (12-1) at Piqua Alexander Stadium

Division II Friday, Nov. 25, 7 p.m.
(1) Massillon Washington (12-1) vs. (1) Akron Archbishop Hoban (13-1) at University of Akron InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field
(3) Toledo Central Catholic (13-1) vs. (4) Kings Mills Kings (13-1) at Wapakoneta Mercy Health Wapak Ford Field

here is a link: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-releases-football-state-semifinal-pairings-16
I figured so, a lot of people are sharing away on Facebook like they do most things that aren’t true.

Toledo Blade article on Kings for anyone who doesn't want to shell out money to read it.
Kings offense seems like a juggernaut similar to what Athens was in 2014 with Joe Burrow. Central won that game in what was the greatest game I have ever witnessed. Im curious what Burrow's numbers were compared to what Kings' numbers are.

Kings offense seems like a juggernaut similar to what Athens was in 2014 with Joe Burrow. Central won that game in what was the greatest game I have ever witnessed. Im curious what Burrow's numbers were compared to what Kings' numbers are.
I was looking at the Ohio State records the other day. Burrow had 63 TD in a year and 156 in a career. I think Kocher has 45 this year, and he did not put up the crazy numbers his sophomore and junior years. So as awesome as they are, the numbers are not in that stratosphere.

Incidentally, I mentioned this on the Anderson thread last week. Michael Mussari is now 5th in Ohio High School history with 26 receiving touchdowns in a season. One more will put him in a tie for second all time. Five more would get him the record.

here is their roster. trying to find stats

Don’t think they have them available publicly. Closest thing you’ll get is the Blade stat ranks they did every week during regular season (have fun with the paywall). IMO I wouldn’t even trust those numbers because the starters didn’t even play all of the second half in about 8 of those games.

Don’t think they have them available publicly. Closest thing you’ll get is the Blade stat ranks they did every week during regular season (have fun with the paywall). IMO I wouldn’t even trust those numbers because the starters didn’t even play all of the second half in about 8 of those games.
Here is an article from the Blade with their stats before the Avon game.

Here is an article from the Blade with their stats before the Avon game.

from the article:

Central returns Clark, who is 127-of-187 passing for 1,744 yards and 18 touchdowns with four interceptions, and has rushed 105 times for 676 yards and 11 TDS. Edmonds has rushed 232 times for 1,711 yards and 28 touchdowns, and Clark's top receiving targets have been Javon Murphy (37 catches, 509 yards, 6 TD), Durey'a Hall (36 catches, 594 yards, 7 TD), and Mekhi Warren (27 catches, 276 yards, 2 TD).

from the article:

Central returns Clark, who is 127-of-187 passing for 1,744 yards and 18 touchdowns with four interceptions, and has rushed 105 times for 676 yards and 11 TDS. Edmonds has rushed 232 times for 1,711 yards and 28 touchdowns, and Clark's top receiving targets have been Javon Murphy (37 catches, 509 yards, 6 TD), Durey'a Hall (36 catches, 594 yards, 7 TD), and Mekhi Warren (27 catches, 276 yards, 2 TD).
Thanks for passing that along!

I was watching some of Central Catholic vs Whitmer. I think this is going to be a hell of a game!

As we prepare for the big game, will someone please say the blessing?
Wkrp In Cincinnati Thanksgiving GIF

Kings: Smartest Kid on the Field
Wow in their first meeting against Anderson, Will Kocher had 49 pass attempts to go along with 10 rushing attempts. That's a ton of snaps and action. Seemingly the offense runs through him. Contain him and success should follow is what I'm getting.
There's 51 ydg rushing but there's also 5.1 yds a pop. Maybe they just choose to pass? The teams that played them closest seemed to contain the RB and let the QB pass away. Kings probably uses them as blockers to pick up the LBs but I imagine they can run if they need to.

I don't think he's going to be easy to contain. His passes are off quick. His receivers are very good for high school, even when contested. To me, it seemed they tired a bit against Winton Woods. I can see this game going like the AL game for three quarters, then what happens, happens.

One thing I'm trying to figure if it means anything: when their QB checks with the sideline, their linemen hold stance. Don't see that much anymore.

Agreed. Unreal to see what Joe Burrow has become as well in such a short time

There's 51 ydg rushing but there's also 5.1 yds a pop. Maybe they just choose to pass? The teams that played them closest seemed to contain the RB and let the QB pass away. Kings probably uses them as blockers to pick up the LBs but I imagine they can run if they need to.

I don't think he's going to be easy to contain. His passes are off quick. His receivers are very good for high school, even when contested. To me, it seemed they tired a bit against Winton Woods. I can see this game going like the AL game for three quarters, then what happens, happens.

One thing I'm trying to figure if it means anything: when their QB checks with the sideline, their linemen hold stance. Don't see that much anymore.
I don't think they tired against winton woods. To me it was more that WW defense was alot better than the WW offense that night. The WW offense couldn't get out of it's own way that night. Kings coach played safe and ran the ball late.

Does TCC have a corner that can shut down Kings #2? WW number 7 basically took him out of the game.

I don't think they tired against winton woods. To me it was more that WW defense was alot better than the WW offense that night. The WW offense couldn't get out of it's own way that night. Kings coach played safe and ran the ball late.

Does TCC have a corner that can shut down Kings #2? WW number 7 basically took him out of the game.
Those things hard to predict. WR has the advantage. Braden Awls is a Toledo commit at DB.

Wow in their first meeting against Anderson, Will Kocher had 49 pass attempts to go along with 10 rushing attempts. That's a ton of snaps and action. Seemingly the offense runs through him. Contain him and success should follow is what I'm getting.
If you can contain him, you’ll almost certainly win. But the only force I’ve seen capable of containing him is Coach Garvin. He gets painfully conservative in the second half’s of close games, and forces them out of what they (in my opinion) do best. Kocher had 26 Carrie’s for 28 yards the second WW game, and that’s after having at least 30 or forty yards in the first quarter and a half. He just kept running him up the middle over and over, losing tons of yards in the second half. In my opinion, if they keep airing it out against any team, they’re going to continue to have huge plays, and putting up points. Grinding out first downs and killing the clock is just not what they’re built for.

#7 beat Kings single-handedly the first game, with 2 int (I think), a pick 6, and either a punt or ko return fir a touchdown. I’m pretty sure the biggest thing in the gsme plan the second game was to just keep the ball far away from him.

I didn’t see the article you linked the first time scrolling through. That’s pretty rare for a football player to be number 1 in their class academically. 35 ACT score, I hear that’s pretty good lol.

I didn’t see the article you linked the first time scrolling through. That’s pretty rare for a football player to be number 1 in their class academically. 35 ACT score, I hear that’s pretty good lol.
He’s amazing on and off the field. This whole Kings group is just a really special bunch of guys.

Kings doesn't play a bunch of schools half their size. Athens does.

and getting those numbers beating some solid teams; ASVSM, Col DeSales and Steubenville. Kings play-off has been a repeat of their season competition. Getting numbers against teams that know you, probably lower? A tough nut for Central. Could be a repeat of 2014. I sticking with defense though.

Last edited:
and getting those numbers beating some solid teams; ASVSM, Col DeSales and Steubenville. Kings play-off has been a repeat of their season competition. Getting numbers against teams that know you, probably lower? A tough nut for Central. Could be a repeat of 2014. I sticking with defense though.
The more I think about this game I am starting to see why Drew Pasteur has Central by 17.

Kings, while definitely an excellent team, played 2 teams that were winless and 1 more whose only win was against one of the winless teams. The Milford win was their only real quality win. They beat a good team handily. The Anderson win during the season looks better only in retrospect because Anderson got hot in the playoffs. The Winton Woods playoff win was definitely top notch. Another thing I thought was that most of their games were close enough that the starters were in most, if not all of the game. So the stat differential between Kings studs and Centrals studs can be misleading.

Central had one game versus a (surprisingly) winless team: Benedictine. Central was up on St. Eds in the 4th quarter. Many of their other wins during the season against future playoff teams were blowouts with running clocks. Central called off the dogs in the second halfs and had running clocks against Findlay, Lima, Clay, Whitmer, and Fremont, which are all playoff teams.

Centrals defense has played some very good offenses this year and basically shut them down. Findlay has a Power 5 D1 QB, Fremonts QB is really good. Whitmer is always tough. In the playoffs Avon Lake, Medina Highland, and Avon all struggled.

So I think Central will win the game. The defense will keep Kings in check. Kings will still score. They are too good not to. But Centrals defense will stop them enough. Centrals offense will wear down Kings defense over time.

My prediction 35-21 Central.

The more I think about this game I am starting to see why Drew Pasteur has Central by 17.

Kings, while definitely an excellent team, played 2 teams that were winless and 1 more whose only win was against one of the winless teams. The Milford win was their only real quality win. They beat a good team handily. The Anderson win during the season looks better only in retrospect because Anderson got hot in the playoffs. The Winton Woods playoff win was definitely top notch. Another thing I thought was that most of their games were close enough that the starters were in most, if not all of the game. So the stat differential between Kings studs and Centrals studs can be misleading.

Central had one game versus a (surprisingly) winless team: Benedictine. Central was up on St. Eds in the 4th quarter. Many of their other wins during the season against future playoff teams were blowouts with running clocks. Central called off the dogs in the second halfs and had running clocks against Findlay, Lima, Clay, Whitmer, and Fremont, which are all playoff teams.

Centrals defense has played some very good offenses this year and basically shut them down. Findlay has a Power 5 D1 QB, Fremonts QB is really good. Whitmer is always tough. In the playoffs Avon Lake, Medina Highland, and Avon all struggled.

So I think Central will win the game. The defense will keep Kings in check. Kings will still score. They are too good not to. But Centrals defense will stop them enough. Centrals offense will wear down Kings defense over time.

My prediction 35-21 Central.
I don't doubt it may turn out much the way you see it, but I think you've based your analysis on some false assumptions. Pretty sure Kings starters did not play in the second half until week 6, then again against Little Miami, and Sidney. I think everybody was out for the fourth Quarter against Withrow. That's 8 games, five against playoff teams. So as was discussed earlier, while Kocher didn't have Burrow numbers, if the coaching staff was interested in that, he could have.

The other thing is that the records of the ECC teams are all skewed by the quality of the conference and the fact that they all have to play every other team in the conference. This was discussed at length in the Kings/Anderson thread last week, but I think it bears repeating. Little Miami went 3-7, but was battle hardened by getting smacked around by ECC teams, made the playoffs and dismantled 10-0 2 seed Xenia, who I had seen ranked as high as 3 or 4 or 5 in the state in various polls and/or rankings at various points. Anderson was 5-5 but absolutely destroyed 3 seed Edgewood. I think Loveland and West Clermont were both teams who, at least at certain points in the season, were much better teams than their records indicated. And Lebanon played everyone they faced really tough until hitting a buzzsaw in Winton Woods and spinning out in the playoffs. The point is, judging them against the records of the ECC does not do the schedule they played justice, in my opinion.

The game you're missing is the Withrow game in round 2. That was a really good team who took some tough losses against excellent non-conference opponents, then went on a 7 game winning streak where they just rolled through everybody. And Kings made them look like they were scrimmaging against the junior varsity. The score of that game does not convey how Kings manhandled them.

Anyway, Kings might just be facing a better team than they've played this year, but I still don't think anyone can beat them by two touchdowns. But, of course, that's why they play the games.

Ticket price: that was unexpected. They want $13 instead of $10. Why would price jump?
This is just a guess. The tickets were $10 for the Regionals (4 Rounds). The tickets have now been increased to $13 for the Semi-Finals. What will be the cost of tickets for the State Championship Game?