• Anderson

• Teays Valley

• Lasalle

• Edgewood

• Winton Woods

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
That

Withrow team has some speed. That defense could fly to the ball. If they could throw even a little, I think they would’ve won by 2 scores. Give Piqua credit, they were more organized and didn’t shoot their toes off like Withrow. I know both had penalties, but it seemed like Withrow’s came at the wrong time. And those bad snaps kept them behind the sticks. Good luck next week. I highly doubt Edgewood will have the same speed and physicality as Withrow. Piqua with an easy win
That

Withrow team has some speed. That defense could fly to the ball. If they could throw even a little, I think they would’ve won by 2 scores. Give Piqua credit, they were more organized and didn’t shoot their toes off like Withrow. I know both had penalties, but it seemed like Withrow’s came at the wrong time. And those bad snaps kept them behind the sticks. Good luck next week. I highly doubt Edgewood will have the same speed and physicality as Withrow. Piqua with an easy win.
The Fant kid has been their 5th QB this season.

Love the confidence but there’s a reason the games are played. Any given Friday.
Tbh, he’s right. In region 8 the last team to win this region besides LaSalle or Winton Woods was Loveland back in 2013. It’s just not gonna happen this year. The winner between LaSalle and WW will win this region, just simply other teams can’t keep up with these two. I honestly don’t see any of these teams losing this region in seasons to come either. It also comes down to coaching, I’ve noticed after halftime LaSalle has made a lot of adjustments to help them in the second half and the other teams they have played have not made much or any at all. These coaches just go back out with little adjustments and hope for the best, if they continue that LaSalle or WW will continue to win this region over and over.

Brady O'Connor started out as the freshman QB at La Salle. Last night he had an interception against Anderson. I never knew they moved him up to varsity to play defense.

Love the confidence but there’s a reason the games are played. Any given Friday.
These are the 2 top dogs in this region. Hands down it's been that way for awhile. You could see this match up looming before they set the brackets. That's not a knock on anyone or team.

Brady O'Connor started out as the freshman QB at La Salle. Last night he had an interception against Anderson. I never knew they moved him up to varsity to play defense.
He’s been there at least three weeks now, maybe more. He recovered a fumble last week and recorded a big sack early in last night too.

An interesting note here from Mike Dyer:

From an OHSAA memo Oct. 28 regarding the neutral sites for the regional football semifinal:
After this week’s games all contests will be on neutral sites. Neutral site hosts will be notified on Sunday, and are asked to contact the participating teams as soon as possible to explain game procedures.
a. There are fewer sites willing and able to host this year, travel for participating teams may be impacted. If another site is unavailable, one of the participating teams may be chosen to host per tournament regulation.

Hat tip to Lasalle. I have not been able to pull the box score but it looks like my prediction that it would not match last years scoring and offensive explosion.

Would they chose the participaing team with the higher seed, in which case La Salle #6 over Winton Woods #7

Hat tip to Lasalle. I have not been able to pull the box score but it looks like my prediction that it would not match last years scoring and offensive explosion.

Good call on that ... I was confident LS wasn't scoring 55 again but was really worried about that Anderson offense. The La Salle defense played much, much better this year than it did last year against Anderson.

He’s been there at least three weeks now, maybe more. He recovered a fumble last week and recorded a big sack early in last night too.
I knew about the sack, but wasn't sure if it was Brady. There is a sophomore DB named Mick O'Connor, don't know if he was playing last night. Twitter specifically mentioned Brady O'Connor on the interception but just O'Connor on the sack.

You don't think 45 points is an explosion. I don't know how many yards that was, but I bet it was around 500 yards total offense. Lancers went over 500 points against Harrison when they scored 42, only difference was a field goal. It's your Raptors that didn't perform like last year.

I knew about the sack, but wasn't sure if it was Brady. There is a sophomore DB named Mick O'Connor, don't know if he was playing last night. Twitter specifically mentioned Brady O'Connor on the interception but just O'Connor on the sack.
They are cousins

Good call on that ... I was confident LS wasn't scoring 55 again but was really worried about that Anderson offense. The La Salle defense played much, much better this year than it did last year against Anderson.

I did not see the game but the box score reflects your comment. It is a challenging offense to prepare for and you have to maintain your responsibility on defense (and have the skill to do it) or it can get interesting quick. Best of luck next week.

You don't think 45 points is an explosion. I don't know how many yards that was, but I bet it was around 500 yards total offense. Lancers went over 500 points against Harrison when they scored 42, only difference was a field goal. It's your Raptors that didn't perform like last year.

Long audible sigh. Context is everything. If you read the original post that lead to this conversation with the legend Mickey Mantle you would know that I predicted that both teams would not match last years offensive explosion. I was more than spot on. Lasalle had 55 points and almost 600 yards last year. This year it was 45 points and a decent amount under 500 yards. Anderson had an even bigger drop.

In the 2020 match up Lasalle averaged 10.03 ypp, this year it was 7.20 ypp. Oddly Anderson increased their ypp from 5.62 up to 6.00

Taking an even deeper dive Lasalle did a better job this year limiting the big plays and did a better job controlling the game script. Having said that it as a 24 point game after 3 quarters last year, this year it was a 10 point game (not that I think Lasalle was in danger of giving up a comeback this year)

Last edited:
Since I'm a history buff, I am presenting how Region 8 as we know it came into being. Prior to 2013 when there were 6 divisions equally divided up, the OHSAA was flooded with complaints about the size disparity in DI, so the OHSAA formed a Committe to deal with it. The AD at that time at La Salle was on the Committee. Because I was the football historian at La Salle at that time updaing the information on the web site and for the game day programs. I was privy to what was going on. An agreement was reached to put 72 schools in DI and equally divide up the remaining schools over six divisions (DII-DVII) This is when DVII came into being. For the first three years 2013-2016, there were only two regions in DI. Region I had 35 teams and R2 had 37. At that time what is now R8 was called R6. In 2016, DI was split up into four divisions setting up the current R8 as we know it today.

From 2016-2020, R8 was controlled by Winton Woods and La Salle. La Salle won three times in 2016, 2019, and 2020 and Winton Woods won twice in 2017 and 2018.

Last edited:
Since I'm a history buff, I am presenting how Region 8 as we know it came into being. Prior to 2013 when there were 6 divisions equally divided up, the OHSAA was flooded with complaints about the size disparity in DI, so the OHSAA formed a Committe to deal with it. The AD at that time at La Salle was on the Committee. Because I was the football historian at La Salle at that time updaing the information on the web site and for the game day programs. I was privy to what was going on. An agreement was reached to put 72 schools in DI and equally divide up the remaining schools over six divisions (DII-DVII) This is when DVII came into being. For the first three years 2013-2016, there were only two regions in DI. Region I had 35 teams and R2 had 37. At that time what is now R8 was called R6. In 2016, DI was split up into four divisions setting up the current R8 as we know it today.

From 2016-2020, R8 was controlled by Winton Woods and La Salle. La Salle won three times in 2016, 2019, and 2020 and Winton Woods won twice in 2017 and 2018.

2014 and 2015 should count as modern era history too.
Since LaSalle became a D2 school in 2014 they have won this region 5 out of 7 times.
Winton Woods has won the region the other 2 times.

In the years before the change, the region had a variety of teams win. 2006 - 2013 saw the following winners: Turpin, Anderson (twice), Winton Woods, Trotwood (3 times), Loveland. Looking back a couple years further, Carroll and Edgewood could be added to the list.

The competitive landscape (in terms of who has a chance to win the region) changed with the 2014 reconfiguration.

The configuration to seven divisions began in 2013 not 2014. Loveland not only won R6 that year but they also won DII state that year, the first year there were seven divisions. 2013 was Nate Moore’s first year as head coach (3-7) and LS didn’t even make the playoffs their first year in DII

Last edited:
The configuration to seven divisions began in 2013 not 2014. Loveland not only won R6 that year but they also won DII state that year, the first year there were seven divisions
You're right, I stand corrected about 2013.
LaSalle has won 5 out of 8 years since the reconfiguration.
Loveland once.
Winton Woods twice.

The last 7 years have been dominated by LaSalle and Winton Woods.

The configuration to seven divisions began in 2013 not 2014. Loveland not only won R6 that year but they also won DII state that year, the first year there were seven divisions. 2013 was Nate Moore’s first year as head coach and LS didn’t even make the playoffs their first year in DII
You're right, I stand corrected about 2013.
LaSalle has won 5 out of 8 years since the reconfiguration.
Loveland once.
Winton Woods twice.

The last 7 years have been dominated by LaSalle and Winton Woods.
Here's a fun what-if for that 2013 year. Under this new 16-team format, La Salle would have been the No. 14 seed traveling to No. 3 Winton Woods for the first round.

Withrow is a good team! They may be a team to watch out for in Region 8 going forward. What happened with them? Did they get new coaching or what? Do they just have better athletes now? I don’t ever remember them being this good

Withrow is a good team! They may be a team to watch out for in Region 8 going forward. What happened with them? Did they get new coaching or what? Do they just have better athletes now? I don’t ever remember them being this good
Yes, this is a relatively new coach. Maybe his 2nd year? They remind me a lot of Trotwood teams of the mid to late 2000's when they started to really build some momentum with their program under Mo Douglas. The Withrow defense was strong against Piqua, by far the stiffest the Indians had seen. They have some outstanding athletes. Big and fast. I agree if they continue this momentum they could make some real noise in Region 8 for the foreseeable future. I know many may have dismissed them because of the league they are in but they won't fly under the radar long playing like they have this year.

Last edited:
Going back to the setup in place for eight playoff teams in 2013 with LS finishing 14 and not making the playoffs, Winton Woods lost in the second round to Mt. Healthy 10-13, so both of todays R8 powers were eliminated leaving the R6 title (then, R8 now) for someone else.