D2 Path to State

kmac57

Lets hear it who are the teams that have potential to win state.

Region 8 - Looking at the brackets, last year's DIII state champ Purcell Marion (a very talented team) has a walk in the park to the regional finals. Maybe Tipp can give them a game but I think they are a lock for regional finals. Who will they play LY DII champ Alter, Cincy Summit Country Day, Waynesville, Badin? Not familiar with teams in the central district. Top Seed Richland North Union. Some great potential games a foot. Looking forward to them. Region 8 winner will be strong favorite to win state.

What say the other regions? Like to learn more about who the top dogs are coming out of your regions

Region 8 - Looking at the brackets, last year's DIII state champ Purcell Marion (a very talented team) has a walk in the park to the regional finals. Maybe Tipp can give them a game but I think they are a lock for regional finals.
I highly doubt Tipp gives Purcell Marion a game, if they even make it that far. Tipp has fallen off a bit since the 2021 season where they did have a legit shot to make state, but lost to Carroll early in the tourney.

Purcell Marion beat the best team in the MVL (Sidney) by 25 early in the season. Sidney played Tipp twice and beat them by 25 and 19. I think Tipp will have their hands full beating Oakwood to even get to that point, but whoever wins that matchup, PM will name their score against them.

Badin beat Alter by 23 during the regular season. Should be an interesting regional.
Yes they did saw that game. Badin hit 17, I say 17!!!! 3pt shots. Alter beat Badin earlier in year by 16. Would be a great rematch to see which team takes 2 out three with state on the line.

Elite 8: Alter vs Marian, SVSM vs TCC, Marlington vs Copley, Fairland vs Granville
Final Four: Alter, TCC, Copley, Fairland
State Final: Fairland vs Alter
State Champ: Alter

Elite 8: Alter vs Marian, SVSM vs TCC, Marlington vs Copley, Fairland vs Granville
Final Four: Alter, TCC, Copley, Fairland
State Final: Fairland vs Alter
State Champ: Alter
I actually think Copley might night make it out of their district. Canal Fulton NW as a 6 seed is severely underrated. Only 2 losses on the season are both to CVCA - will be a highly contested district final.

Speaking of CVCA - they'll likely get Gilmour in their district final in a rematch that saw Gilmour win by 3 the first time around. I think the winner of this game comes out of the Barberton Regional as I see both teams beating Copley/NW/Marlington.

I actually think Copley might night make it out of their district. Canal Fulton NW as a 6 seed is severely underrated. Only 2 losses on the season are both to CVCA - will be a highly contested district final.

Speaking of CVCA - they'll likely get Gilmour in their district final in a rematch that saw Gilmour win by 3 the first time around. I think the winner of this game comes out of the Barberton Regional as I see both teams beating Copley/NW/Marlington.
CVCA is my pick. Have one of the best players in the state and a pretty solid supporting cast.

Purcell Marian in the overwhelming favorite to come out of Region 8. They have one of the best players in the country, 4 or 5 other scholarship players, a couple of good role players who played last year and a very good coach. I would say they are "State Champion or Bust." With all of that being said, the most talented team does not always win. That is what makes sports so entertaining.

In my opinion, Badin is the next best team. They also have an experienced group with a coach that has been to regional final 2 years in a row. Their freshman point guard is also a great high school player. I will probably make the trek to Springfield to watch her against Alexander if that is the regional final.

Alter would be my third team. Very good, but not elite this year. The have more size than usual, but are not near as good on defense as some of their other teams. They will be prepared and a difficult out as they are extremely well coached.

Carroll, Summit and Waynesville are all good teams that could upset Alter or Badin on a given night, but not good enough to win 3, or in some cases, 4 really good games in a row. I am a little surprised that one of these teams did not go in with Purcell. If you win that game, you have the easier path to the regional final.

The district games at Mason should be very entertaining:

Purcell and all that talent against either Tipp City or Oakwood. Both would be thrilled to play in this game.

Badin against either Waynesville or Carroll. Both Waynesville and Carroll play a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and should come ready to compete.

Alter against Summit assuming they both win. Alter won by 1 in the regular season. Should be a low scoring defensive battle.

Purcell Marian in the overwhelming favorite to come out of Region 8. They have one of the best players in the country, 4 or 5 other scholarship players, a couple of good role players who played last year and a very good coach. I would say they are "State Champion or Bust." With all of that being said, the most talented team does not always win. That is what makes sports so entertaining.

In my opinion, Badin is the next best team. They also have an experienced group with a coach that has been to regional final 2 years in a row. Their freshman point guard is also a great high school player. I will probably make the trek to Springfield to watch her against Alexander if that is the regional final.

Alter would be my third team. Very good, but not elite this year. The have more size than usual, but are not near as good on defense as some of their other teams. They will be prepared and a difficult out as they are extremely well coached.

Carroll, Summit and Waynesville are all good teams that could upset Alter or Badin on a given night, but not good enough to win 3, or in some cases, 4 really good games in a row. I am a little surprised that one of these teams did not go in with Purcell. If you win that game, you have the easier path to the regional final.

The district games at Mason should be very entertaining:

Purcell and all that talent against either Tipp City or Oakwood. Both would be thrilled to play in this game.

Badin against either Waynesville or Carroll. Both Waynesville and Carroll play a bunch of freshmen and sophomores and should come ready to compete.

Alter against Summit assuming they both win. Alter won by 1 in the regular season. Should be a low scoring defensive battle.
Carroll is playing great basketball right now. Badin might overlook them looking at Alter.
The winner of Badin/Alter vs Purcell will win state. Too bad that’s a regional final, that’s the best game left. SW Ohio has the best D2 basketball by far, too bad they get penalized by the OHSAA. Alter should be D3 but too many other schools complained and they made both Alter and Purcell D2.
By the way I’d love to see how many Alter and Purcell kids actually pay for any of their tuition.

Gilmour upset by Elyria Catholic - district final with CVCA should be interesting!

Copley/Northwest showdown Saturday night - I'd give the edge to Copley, they have some nice wins on the season, but NW will make it a dogfight - two 1000 point scorers on NW right now, 6 or 7 seniors...this is going to be a great game!

Gilmour upset by Elyria Catholic - district final with CVCA should be interesting!

Copley/Northwest showdown Saturday night - I'd give the edge to Copley, they have some nice wins on the season, but NW will make it a dogfight - two 1000 point scorers on NW right now, 6 or 7 seniors...this is going to be a great game!
Elyria Catholic has a legitimate inside presence. CVCA will be tested. If they continue to light it up from outside the arc, the season should continue. But if the rim has a lid on it, this matchup will be tough for the Royals.

That Northwest defense will keep them in every game. Hope they can get past Copley.

CVCA-Northwest one more time. We shall see. But it would be fun.

Perhaps Salem out of the Barberton regional ........will have to beat Canfield again, tomorrow night, first.

Perhaps Salem out of the Barberton regional ........will have to beat Canfield again, tomorrow night, first.
If they beat Canfield again, they'll play either Marlington (again) or Perry....Then Copley/NW/CVCA/EC will be waiting. If I was betting on Salem or the field I'd probably take the field at this point...

Badin was very sharp in beating Carroll who had been playing their best basketball lately. Alter started slow, down 10 to Summit in second quarter. Showed great character coming back and pulling away at the end. Badin vs. Alter Tuesday night should be a doose. Split regular season. I will be there to see that one.

Elyria Catholic has a legitimate inside presence. CVCA will be tested. If they continue to light it up from outside the arc, the season should continue. But if the rim has a lid on it, this matchup will be tough for the Royals.

That Northwest defense will keep them in every game. Hope they can get past Copley.

CVCA-Northwest one more time. We shall see. But it would be fun.
Welp....here we go Northwest/CVCA 3.0! I believe CVCA has won 3 of the last 4 including both matchups this season. Such an interesting game - both teams lock down on defense, NW definitely has the size advantage, but CVCA will undoubtedly outshoot them. I think the style that CVCA plays is so dangerous with everything coming from outside, an off night can end their season, an on night can elevate them to a double digit lead very quickly! Obviously really pulling for NW here, but tbh, the defense (or lack there of) that they played on #3 (Callaway?) for Copley doesn't instill a lot of faith going into this matchup. That girl for Copley was clearly their best player and she continuously got open looks at 3s in the 4th quarter of the district final!

Side note, I said it before and believe it still holds true - I believe the winner of this game comes out of the Barberton Regional! Good luck to both teams, but GO INDIANS!

@CasualFan24 … It should be a great game. It really is the culmination of four years of battles for these two teams, and specifically the seniors.

Here's the CVCA preview. And here is a great overview from Mike Popovich of The Canton Repository.

The teams have met nine times since the start of the 2019-20 season. CVCA holds a 5-4 edge. The difference in points scored in the nine games? Six points. Or 0.67 a game in favor of CVCA.

What's the old adage? It's hard to defeat the same team three times in one season? These two teams know each other so well, and you've summarized it perfectly. If CVCA is on from outside, it makes it tough for any opponent. But an inside presence makes a world of difference. Carter McCray for Elyria Catholic went off for 29 in a most impressive performance on Saturday night. Lily Bottomly will take on that burden for the the Indians tomorrow night. Unlike Elyria Catholic, I think Northwest has the players to help Bottomly seriously challenge the Royals. Ashley Cudnik can score and distribute.

The Indians are the best defensive team CVCA sees each year, and this season is no exception. If the game is in the 30s, the Indians have a great chance of playing on Friday. But if Gia Casalinova, Kylie Bettinger and Joi Williams go off from beyond the arc, and the game gets to the mid 40's - or higher like the Copley game, then I think it is CVCA who will advance.

Both deserving. Sadly only one can move on. But it guarantees the PAC will be playing for a spot in Dayton come Friday night.

If you're reading this and anywhere in Northeast Ohio, make plans to be in Barberton on Tuesday night. This should be well worth the trip.

@CasualFan24 … It should be a great game. It really is the culmination of four years of battles for these two teams, and specifically the seniors.

Here's the CVCA preview. And here is a great overview from Mike Popovich of The Canton Repository.

The teams have met nine times since the start of the 2019-20 season. CVCA holds a 5-4 edge. The difference in points scored in the nine games? Six points. Or 0.67 a game in favor of CVCA.

What's the old adage? It's hard to defeat the same team three times in one season? These two teams know each other so well, and you've summarized it perfectly. If CVCA is on from outside, it makes it tough for any opponent. But an inside presence makes a world of difference. Carter McCray for Elyria Catholic went off for 29 in a most impressive performance on Saturday night. Lily Bottomly will take on that burden for the the Indians tomorrow night. Unlike Elyria Catholic, I think Northwest has the players to help Bottomly seriously challenge the Royals. Ashley Cudnik can score and distribute.

The Indians are the best defensive team CVCA sees each year, and this season is no exception. If the game is in the 30s, the Indians have a great chance of playing on Friday. But if Gia Casalinova, Kylie Bettinger and Joi Williams go off from beyond the arc, and the game gets to the mid 40's - or higher like the Copley game, then I think it is CVCA who will advance.

Both deserving. Sadly only one can move on. But it guarantees the PAC will be playing for a spot in Dayton come Friday night.

If you're reading this and anywhere in Northeast Ohio, make plans to be in Barberton on Tuesday night. This should be well worth the trip.
You never disappoint Cuse....bravo! Can't wait to see this game!

Fairland should win the Zanesville regionsl. However, I have seen some crazy officiating in the post season litterly helping to determine the outcome.

i dont think alter or badin has any chance to beat Purcell. Badin matches up a little better vs them, but would still be a 20+ point game

i dont think alter or badin has any chance to beat Purcell. Badin matches up a little better vs them, but would still be a 20+ point game
Badin will give them a tough game. They shoot the 3 as well as anyone in the state. If they get hot an upset could very well happen.