D2 Canton Regional

afwpatfire

Regional Semi-Final
Both games at Canton Civic Center

Thursday 03/12/20
Chaney vs SVSM 6:15pm
Lutheran East vs Triway 8:00pm

How does Lutheran East's team compare to their team from two years ago? I'm assuming it is better this year.

Chaney will have the athletes to compete, I’m not sure if they’ll have enough shooting outside of a couple kids tho

How does Lutheran East's team compare to their team from two years ago? I'm assuming it is better this year.

Long. They beat SVSM in the regular season. That wont mean anything come the regional final - but it does show they at least stack up pretty well with the Irish. I think SVSM is still the favorite but not like in past years. Game should be a battle.

I was talking more about their next game. It is a rematch from a regional semifinal two years ago decided by 3 points. I know their opponent is better than they were 2 years ago, but it looks like this LE team is a lot stronger than they were, as well.

Last edited:
I was talking more about their next game. It is a rematch from a regional semifinal two years ago decided by 3 points. I know their opponent is better than they were 2 years ago, but it looks like this LE team is a lot stronger than they were, as well.

I have watched Lutheran East several times over the past few years. This is the best team they have ever had. As mentioned before, their only losses were against D1 teams who are still playing. Lutheran East only lost to St Ed's by a basket or two if memory serves. They bring tons of size, length, athleticism, skill, and discipline to the table. Their guards are not as good as their front line, but the guards are still future college basketball players. Billingsley & Benson are really good players. I am guessing that Lutheran East has the four best players Triway has played against this year (Billingsley, Benson, Hughes, Busbee). Finding a consistent way to score will be Triway's biggest challenge. The Civic Center has always been known as a tough venue to shoot at. Maybe Lutheran East has an off night and Triway can hang around and make things interesting. If LE is hitting from the outside, this game will be ugly.

If LE beats Triway, would love to see them beat St. V. They should be D1
If SVSM should be D1 than so should LE LOL.

I have seen all the top teams in Cleveland/Akron at least once, and LE is as talented with their top 5-7 players as any team I have seen this year. There are some outstanding duos and trios, like on SVSM, Ed's, Mentor, etc but it seemed like LE between the frontcourt and some very solid guard play had multiple players who could get hot.

I live around the corner from LE and did attend their home games against St. Edward which they lost 52-57 and their OT win over ASVSM which was the best HS game I saw all year.

I really don't see any D2 team being able to beat STVM other than LE. Likewise, I really don't see any D2 team beating LE other than STVM. With all due respect to Lima Shawnee and Trotwood, these are the two best D2 teams in the State and if one of them doesn't win the title, IMO it would be a big upset. Now, having said that, I thought the same thing several years ago when CCC knocked off STVM in the Regional Final (IMO the best Irish team post-LeBron) only to lose to Defiance in the state final. Like they say, that's why they play the games!

Last edited:
tenor.gif