D2 Boys - State

psycho_dad

Heath looks very Strong coming out of the Regional.
Shelby looks just as Strong.
$V$M, Bay and Woodridge are very good as well, with Bay slipping a bit after making it real tight at the District.

Is Shelby the favorite based on such a good top 2? $V$M might have as good a top 2 and Woodridge is not far behind.

Shelby tightened things up real nice at the Regional. I think I have to put them at number 1.

Woodridge and $V$M would be my 2A and 2B. The margin between them is paper thin. I give the edge to Woodridge because they are 7 deep and have a larger margin for error.

Heath would be #4 for me. (They bring back a strong team next year for sure)

Bay at #5

Lexington #6 (They step it up at this time of the season)

Sheridan #7 (As much as you love their top 3, you can't ignore that they have a 5 issue. I'm going with their strengths over their weakness)

Unioto #8 I would think Unioto should be higher, but I think they are a bit deflated after not winning the Regional. It can either motivate them and they finish higher, but I think they thought they had a chance to win the state and their Regional place indicates something different and it takes the wind out of their sails.

#9 Springfield Shawnee.

#10 Tipp

Fill in the blanks 11-20

Shelby, Heath, $V$M and Woodridge all have a chance to bring home the championship. My head tells me Shelby, but my gut/heart tells me Woodridge scores 75 and that's hard to beat.

I see this race as a two horse race between Shelby and Woodridge with around eight points separating the two.

D2 will be an interesting team race. Shelby and Woodridge are the frontrunners and my gut is telling me Woodridge is going to win. The experience and tradition that the program brings will elevate them to another level. Following them, I think Akron SVSM actually stands a shot. A slim one, but they have one.

Heath and Bay would probably follow. I like Unioto after them. Unioto could probably jump the two if they rebound from yesterday.

1. Woodridge
2. Shelby
3. Akron SVSM
4. Heath
5. Bay
6. Unioto

After that, I like Sheridan. I think their Top 3 will catipulte them high despite their depth issues. Shawnee probably comes next. Well rounded team that could shock a lot of people.

7. Sheridan
8. Shawnee

Tippecanoe follows. Madiera cannot be forgetten despite their tough performance. I think their PR’s are tough to dictate. Lexington can be thrown into this mix as well. Jonathan Alder has a shot to shock a few as they did last year. This mix could go either way and I think teams like Tippecanoe, Alder, and Lexington could shock a few teams with their top runners (Johnston-probably the favorite, Conley, Frick, and Malone.)

9. Tippecanoe
10. Madiera
11. Jonathan Alder
12. Lexington

Personally, the D2 race is as intriguing as it gets. One of the more exciting races in recent D2 history. I think this is how they rank out, not necessarily how they’ll finish. I think there could be some upsets on Saturday. Should be a good one.

Last edited:
Shelby vs Woodridge for the title with SVSM as the upset special on alert. Sheridan would be up in the mix but without their #4 runner for the postseason and lack of depth, they will be mid pack at the state meet at best. I do think Heath can finish top 5 but do not think they will be in the mix to win as they don’t have as much up front as Shelby and their pack is not as fast as Woodridge. I’ll be interested to see how the teams from Troy do as I was surprised with their Regional results.

So, I've run the numbers many times and it looks very close with Shelby, Woodridge and $V$M.

I have all 3 teams nearly dead even through 3. Then, Woodridge and $V$M are better at 4. Woodridge looks to be better at 5 than Shelby's 4.

If Shelby's 3 is as good or better than Woodridge 2, then they have a good shot. But it Looks to me like Shelby has to be better at 3 than Woodridge's 2 for them to win.

My math tells me It's Woodridge then $V$M then Shelby, but just one little thing this way or that, and it all changes. My heart just thinks that Shelby has been up to the challenge every week and Woodridge and $V$M will have to run better than they did at the Regional to snatch it away.

I would think it's a mental issue and not a physical one. Which coach can keep the team's head's in it for one more week is the key. It makes it even more interesting.

This delay really sucks. I've had a bad week. Monumentally bad! I needed something to occupy my mind, so I poured through CC stuff. I can't do that for another week. Not even I can do this another week. Mathking, can you do it for me?

Sorry, but I sort of nailed it, For Woodridge and $V$M, it all came down to #5. Woodridge having a extra one of those helps too. A couple of things that concerned me about Woodridge and I have to give credit to Shelby is that Shelby beat woodridge by one place at two different spots. Woodridge can't let that happen. If it makes anyone feel better, Woodridge would have beaten both $V$$M and Shelby if they ran duals.

To make everyone in D2 boys feel encouraged for next year, Woodridge only brings back a team that would have won the championship today.

Sorry, but I sort of nailed it, For Woodridge and $V$M, it all came down to #5. Woodridge having a extra one of those helps too. A couple of things that concerned me about Woodridge and I have to give credit to Shelby is that Shelby beat woodridge by one place at two different spots. Woodridge can't let that happen. If it makes anyone feel better, Woodridge would have beaten both $V$$M and Shelby if they ran duals.

To make everyone in D2 boys feel encouraged for next year, Woodridge only brings back a team that would have won the championship today.

Boys XC State title #9 would tie Caldwell's record, no?

Congrats to Woodridge on their day today, as well as their season. Im honestly not really a fan of Woodridge in any sport...PTC rivalrys. But I will root for a PTC team...always. And I do respect greatness. I have nothing but the utmost respect for what Woodridge does in cross country every year. Your kids are absolutely blessed to be apart of greatness, especially at this stage of their lives. More so, your kids are blessed to be under the guidance of a man like Coach Howard, who continues to go above and beyond for your team. Woodridge is truly a model for every team in the state to look towards. I myself look to your bulldogs as the benchmark for what I want my comets to one day achieve and be like.

Boys XC State title #9 would tie Caldwell's record, no?

Yes, One more would tie Woodridge with Caldwell. It looks probable for next year.

Interestingly, With the exception of $V$M boys and girls, Public schools absolutely dominated the state meet. The number of Private schools that even made it to the state meet was extremely low.

Ryan Adkins - Twinsburg Had a heck of a race to finish 2nd in D1. I thought that Mauri from Howland might be able to shock everyone and win it all, but once it became clear that if would be a soft course, I didn't think he could. Finishing 4th is not joke.

Hudson just crushed D1 boys. That's impressive. It was a concern after the first mile and they were nowhere on the board.

Fort Loramie, My adopted 2nd favorite team, had a great day boys and girls in D3. Running the CVNP does not hurt you. If you want to win the state as a boys team, you might want to put CVNP on your schedule.

Also, running your varsity every week does not seem to have hurt any teams chances of winning the state meet. LET YOUR KIDS RACE!

Yes, One more would tie Woodridge with Caldwell. It looks probable for next year.

Interestingly, With the exception of $V$M boys and girls, Public schools absolutely dominated the state meet. The number of Private schools that even made it to the state meet was extremely low.

Ryan Adkins - Twinsburg Had a heck of a race to finish 2nd in D1. I thought that Mauri from Howland might be able to shock everyone and win it all, but once it became clear that if would be a soft course, I didn't think he could. Finishing 4th is not joke.

Hudson just crushed D1 boys. That's impressive. It was a concern after the first mile and they were nowhere on the board.

Fort Loramie, My adopted 2nd favorite team, had a great day boys and girls in D3. Running the CVNP does not hurt you. If you want to win the state as a boys team, you might want to put CVNP on your schedule.

Also, running your varsity every week does not seem to have hurt any teams chances of winning the state meet. LET YOUR KIDS RACE!

A private school has not won a state championship in cross country in 3 years. and only 4 state champions in the last 6 years were private schools. 4 out of the last 36. Or 1/9. Or 11%. Which isn't at all dissimilar to the percentage of schools in ohio who are private schools. Sounds like Ohio cross country has achieved "competitive balance".

1 Woodridge 109 5-13-19-30-42(43)(63) 1:25:01 17:01 1:15.3
2 Akron SVSM 118 3-7-23-32-53(54)(132) 1:25:03 17:01 1:21.5

Look how close that is! I think if $V$M has a 5th run 5 or 6 seconds faster, they win. Or really, A combination of the 5. 2 seconds difference total time. Identical Average time. and 6 second 1-5 gap. Doesn't get much better. The funny thing is I was not worried about $V$M during the race because we had 6 in front of their 5. I knew it would be close, but I was confident our 5-6 would hold them off. I was somewhat over confident there. I was more focuses on Shelby. It really took good efforts 3-6 for Woodridge to pull it off.