D1 Tiffin Region

Track XC

This might be the weakest region for D1, but still some quality teams that will represent the region well at the state meet. Here's my early season rundown of who I think will get to Columbus this year.
1. St. Ignatius- Return a solid group of runners from last season, including Wagner who had an excellent track season. The Cats always show up big time at the regional and I expect them to deliver again this season.
2. SFS- Return a David St. John who will be in contention to win the region individually. He had an excellent Spring with a 9:22 3200 and he qualified for the state meet. Along with Sebenaller and a solid group of 3 or 4 sub 17:00 guys they will be a tough team to beat this season. They finished 2nd at the Norm Bray invite today, but they always peak at the right time of the season.
3. SJJ- return Tevin Brown who is the individual favorite to win the region. He won the Norm Bray invite comfortably with a time of 16:08. SJJ also returns Jacob Barnes who ran a 16:57 at Norm Bray today finishing right behind SFS' #1. They return a group of solid sub 17:00 runners to go along with the best runner in the region. Health has been an issue the past 3 or 4 seasons, and it's a bit concerning that their 2,4,5 runners didn't run at the Norm bray invite this morning.
4. Medina- won the norm bray invite beating SFS and SJJ today, they are a young team who always shows up at the regional meet and performs well, their youth leaves plenty of room for them to improve. However, they lack a front runner which could prevent them from beating any of the three teams listed above.
5. Central Catholic- Had a respectful showing at the Norm Bray invite today, have a strong front runner in McCartney who should be top 5 at the regional meet this season. They lack depth and their gap between their #1 & #2 is very large at the moment. Don't have any room for error if they want to beat any of the teams above.

This might be the weakest region for D1, but still some quality teams that will represent the region well at the state meet. Here's my early season rundown of who I think will get to Columbus this year.
1. St. Ignatius- Return a solid group of runners from last season, including Wagner who had an excellent track season. The Cats always show up big time at the regional and I expect them to deliver again this season.
2. SFS- Return a David St. John who will be in contention to win the region individually. He had an excellent Spring with a 9:22 3200 and he qualified for the state meet. Along with Sebenaller and a solid group of 3 or 4 sub 17:00 guys they will be a tough team to beat this season. They finished 2nd at the Norm Bray invite today, but they always peak at the right time of the season.
3. SJJ- return Tevin Brown who is the individual favorite to win the region. He won the Norm Bray invite comfortably with a time of 16:08. SJJ also returns Jacob Barnes who ran a 16:57 at Norm Bray today finishing right behind SFS' #1. They return a group of solid sub 17:00 runners to go along with the best runner in the region. Health has been an issue the past 3 or 4 seasons, and it's a bit concerning that their 2,4,5 runners didn't run at the Norm bray invite this morning.
4. Medina- won the norm bray invite beating SFS and SJJ today, they are a young team who always shows up at the regional meet and performs well, their youth leaves plenty of room for them to improve. However, they lack a front runner which could prevent them from beating any of the three teams listed above.
5. Central Catholic- Had a respectful showing at the Norm Bray invite today, have a strong front runner in McCartney who should be top 5 at the regional meet this season. They lack depth and their gap between their #1 & #2 is very large at the moment. Don't have any room for error if they want to beat any of the teams above.

Good synopsis TRACK. It is early, but you have to start somewhere. Any idea why SJJ 2.4, and 5 did not run? Good start for TB, but he did the same last year. Hopefully Coach Todd and the boys on Airport Highway learn from the past. SFS has good depth. If they stay away from injuries they will be tough again. Looking forward to a great season for everyone.

Good synopsis TRACK. It is early, but you have to start somewhere. Any idea why SJJ 2.4, and 5 did not run? Good start for TB, but he did the same last year. Hopefully Coach Todd and the boys on Airport Highway learn from the past. SFS has good depth. If they stay away from injuries they will be tough again. Looking forward to a great season for everyone.

I know i saw one runner suffer from the heat and dropped out at the mile. I imagine Savage and Jerrell are out with injuries right now, hopefully they will round into form for the post-season. It's interesting to see them stumbling out of the gate, they usually peak early in the season and regress in the PS. They have the potential to be a good team, it jut depends if they can put it together or not. If recent history suggests anything than I would remain doubtful at this point.

Who would you say is the favorite in the Tiffin Carnival meet this year? I know Ignatius, Medina, St. X, SJJ, SFS, Mentor, Dublin Jerome, Westerville, and a whole slew of other teams will be there. What individual do you think has the best shot at winning now that Dumford and Ford are gone?

Who would you say is the favorite in the Tiffin Carnival meet this year? I know Ignatius, Medina, St. X, SJJ, SFS, Mentor, Dublin Jerome, Westerville, and a whole slew of other teams will be there. What individual do you think has the best shot at winning now that Dumford and Ford are gone?

I'd pick Tevin Brown, he finished 4th last year as a Sophmore and looks like he is unbeatable right now. He comfortably beat a 9:27 3200 guy by 20 seconds at Norm Bray last Saturday. I'd say St. X and Jerome will finish 1 and 2, with a close race for 3rd from all the other teams you mentioned.

Based upon last year's Tiffin Regional results and the returning runners, there are at least two other teams that need to be added to this list of teams with a good chance to advance to the State Meet. They are Strongsville and Avon.

Based upon last year's Tiffin Regional results and the returning runners, there are at least two other teams that need to be added to this list of teams with a good chance to advance to the State Meet. They are Strongsville and Avon.

Avon's 1 and 2 are tough (low 16's at conference preview) and 3 is good but is not 100%.

Strongsville doesn't have a front runner, however their 1-5 split is only about 30 seconds which is impressive.

Update after this weekend, just based on what I've seen in the results so far.
1. St. Ignatius
2. Medina
3. Toledo St. Francis
4. Strongsville
5. Ashland
6. Toledo Central Catholic
7. Toledo St. John's
8. Springfield
9. Avon

I think you have Medina way over ranked. They barely beat Gilmour at Mentor and Bay wasn't too far back in a poor showing for that D2 team

I think you have Medina way over ranked. They barely beat Gilmour at Mentor and Bay wasn't too far back in a poor showing for that D2 team

They beat every team ranked behind them at Fremont, plus they always show up big at the regional meet.

They beat every team ranked behind them at Fremont, plus they always show up big at the regional meet.

They made it out by 4 points last year and they were lucky to be in D1 as they would not have made it out in the D2 race. They had one very good runner at Mentor yesterday, all the rest average in a small field of teams

They made it out by 4 points last year and they were lucky to be in D1 as they would not have made it out in the D2 race. They had one very good runner at Mentor yesterday, all the rest average in a small field of teams

Other than Dombi, they definitely appeared average at best yesterday. However, it is week 2 and they have good history and a good coach so I wouldn't count them out. Tiffin D1 is pretty weak as it is right now.

This is my opinion of how it will shake out at Hedges Boyer:
1. SFS
2. Strongsville
3. St. Ignatius
4. SJJ
5. Ashland
6. Medina

1. SFS
2. Strongsville
3. St. Ignatius
4. SJJ
5. Ashland
6. Medina

That looks about right. On the girls side I think it looks like this right now:

1. Perrysburg
2. Oregon Clay
3. Brunswick
4. Notre Dame Academy
5. Rocky River
6. Medina
7. North Royalton

The back end of Clay's pack really ran well yesterday. Up until this weekend I would have had Brunswick in front of them. Those top three are essentially locks. The battle for the fourth spot seems to be between Notre Dame, Medina, and North Royalton.

Last edited:
1. SFS
2. Strongsville
3. St. Ignatius
4. SJJ
5. Ashland
6. Medina

I'd throw Springfield into the mix, they looked very good at NLL yesterday. Although they have no room for error as their number 6 is an 18+ guy

1. SFS
2. Strongsville
3. St. Ignatius
4. SJJ
5. Ashland
6. Medina

A big overreach on Strongsville! Nothing about that team gives me the inclination that they will be runner-up in this region.

A big overreach on Strongsville! Nothing about that team gives me the inclination that they will be runner-up in this region.

Agreed, they got hammered by Ignatius (without Luke Wagner) at Medina. Speaking of Wagner, does anyone know his status? He hasn't been running well and has missed the last couple races. Based off of track I saw him competing for the regional championship.

Good call, I haven't been following them recently and just assumed they have slightly improved from their early season form. I guess the region is even weaker than I thought.

Darkhorse here is Ashland.
Lack of a front runner is going to hurt them big time at the regional meet. SJJ can will put 3 in front of their 1, wouldn't be shocked if SFS did as well. They have a tight pack but with no front runner winning the region will be tough.

Nice work by both SJJ and SF in the Oregon District race #2. Any word how Ashland, the top overall seed in the District, fared in race #1?

Ashland won the A race with a 16:49 average. SJJ also averaged 16:49. SJJ ran an awesome race man for man. The course was a sloppy mess and they went 15:58 (Brown), 16:48 (Jarrell), 16:48 (Barnes), 17:09 (Rush), and 17:23 (Chovan). Savage was impressive winning the open race in 17:34 all alone and after 4 races on the course. This team is still very young and impoving every week. I'll give a more in depth preview but right now I see the region as.

1. St. Ignatius- Wagner back and good pack
2. St.Johns- Brown as the regional favorite will give them a big advantage over Ashland and SFS
3. Ashland
4. Toledo SFS
5. Lakewood St. Eds
6. Medina
7. Strongsville

Nice work by both SJJ and SF in the Oregon District race #2. Any word how Ashland, the top overall seed in the District, fared in race #1?

They won easily, race #2 was a lot more competitive though. It would have been nice to see how SJJ and Ashland stacked up against each other, but we will get to see that next weekend. Also worth noting SJJ had Junior Ryan Savage win the open race all by himself in a time of 17:33, by the time that race took off the course was in much worse shape than earlier in the day.

I see it right now as:
1. SJJ
2. Ashand
3. St Ignatius
4. SFS
5. Strongsville
6. Medina

Last edited: