D1 Kettering Fairmont District

bearcatrunner

So using Borofans rankings here is a quick list of whose who. To keep the weght classes balanced I just did the top 30 for all weight classes and it is very possible I missed a couple of wrestlers because I did this super quick. Some classes are deep with 9 ranked wrestlers like 106 but not much in the way of title contenders while others like 126 does not have a lot of depth only 4 wrestlers but has three top 8 wrestlers in the state. What is surprising is that 285 has zero ranked wrestlers. How is that possible? Sorry if I missed anyone but again I just did this for fun and really quick.

11. Jayden Cochran (Miamisburg) Freshman
13. Tanner Spalding (LaSalle) Freshman
16. Tommy Couch (Harrison) Junior
17. Ethan Pickens (Mason) Junior
22. Jared Johnston (Moeller) Freshman
23. Nathan Stevens (Centerville) Sophomore
24. Michael Gosselin (Springboro) Freshman
25. Aiden Allen (St. Xavier) Freshman
28. D’Shawn McKinney (Vandalia Butler) Junior

113 – TIED FOR SECOND DEEPEST WEIGHT (TOP 35)
16. Hayden Hollis (Springboro) Junior
20. Noah Lippeatt (Mason) Senior
21. Bryan Hertel (West Clermont) Junior
22. Cohl Wandsnider (Harrison) Freshman
23. Brandon Mitchell (Oak Hills) Junior
24. Simon Taylor (Centerville) Junior
25. Noah Moreland (Vandalia Butler) Sophomore
26. Logan Besecker (Beavercreek) Sophomore

120 – DEEPEST WEIGHT (TOP 40)
3. Damion Ryan (Centerville) Junior
23. Bryson Clinger (Beavercreek) Junior
25. Jack McCall (Lebanon) Sophomore
26. Drew Magness (Elder) Junior
27. Bryton Miller (Kettering Fairmont) Sophomore

126 – TIED FOR SECOND DEEPEST WEIGHT (TOP 35)
1. Dustin Norris (LaSalle) Senior
6. Dominic DiTullio (Mason) Senior
7. Luke Acuna (Centerville) Junior
19. P.J. Murphy (Elder) Freshman

2. Casey Wiles (LaSalle) Senior
9. Jacob Brewer (Colerain) Senior
10. Brayden Zenni (Moeller) Senior
11. Conner Kleinberg (Springboro) Sophomore

1. Jake Niffenegger, LaSalle (Junior)
10. Eugene Harney, Sycamore (Freshman)
12. Olathe Seigla, Trenton Edgewood (Senior)
13. Max Boaz, Lakota East (Senior)
20. Kody Kaimann, Elder (Senior)
26. Hunter Martin, Beavercreek (Sophomore)

7. Darnai Heard (LaSalle) Senior
8. Tim Smith (Colerain) Junior
11. Maclain Morency (Cincinnati Anderson) Sophomore
16. Ryan Walker (West Clermont) Senior
21. Flint Guerra (Lebanon) Sophomore

152 – TIED FOR SECOND DEEPEST WEIGHT (TOP 35)
6. Luke Marsh (Lebanon) Junior
18. Donovan All (Fairfield) Senior
25. Jake Sowders (Oak Hills) Sophomore

15. Matt Motter (Vandalia Butler) Senior
16. Aydan George (Centerville) Freshman
17. Robert Green (Cincinnati Northwest) Senior
29. Logan Sowders (Harrison) Senior

1. Dillon Walker (LaSalle) Senior
5. Kurt Thompson (Moeller) Junior
11. Bartley Thomas (Elder) Junior
21. Mitch Reardon (Sycamore) Senior
28. Max Pennix (Lakota East) Senior
29. Parker Hinkebein (Centerville) Senior

14. Parker Smith (Springboro) Senior
15. Tyler Hicks (Beavercreek) Sophomore
16. Jonathan Sanchez (Moeller) Junior
17. Chase Stein (LaSalle) Junior
18. Khamil Abdul (Colerain) Junior
22. Brentan Simmerman (Little Miami) Sophomore
25. Kaleb Gelter (Milford) Senior
26. Dominic Little (Harrison) Senior

2. Toby Amburgy (Mason) Senior
13. Tavier Lugo-Flowers (Lakota East) Junior
14. Gunnar Pool (Centerville) Sophomore
16. Joshua Brogden (Lakota West) Senior
21. Tyler Stein (Lebanon) Junior
29. Jacob Sayatovic (LaSalle) Senior

11. Myles Johnson (Springboro) Sophomore
13. Brandon Smith (Fairfield) Senior
15. Jonathan Bruder (Centerville) Senior
27. Collin Ansel (Upper Arlington) Sophomore
28. Parker Reese (Marysville) Senior
29. Brian Beal (Delaware Hayes) Sophomore
30. Antonio Mitchell (Olentangy Orange) Senior

8. Josh Padilla, Huber Hts. Wayne (Sophomore) - Centerville
22. Bobby Shaw, West Carrollton (Senior) - Middletown

Last edited:

SW D1 looks to be down this year based on the rankings listed above and comparing back the past 2 years. If I counted right, 12 projected placers this year, 2020 27 projected placers, 2019 29 placers. Hopefully they will out wrestle their rankings and bring home some hardware!

SW D1 looks to be down this year based on the rankings listed above and comparing back the past 2 years. If I counted right, 12 projected placers this year, 2020 27 projected placers, 2019 29 placers. Hopefully they will out wrestle their rankings and bring home some hardware!

I thought the same thing. I'm also hoping that they out wrestle the rankings, I think a few will for sure.

Yeah I think Mitchell has that 113 weight class under control even though it won't be easy for him. Spots 2-4 are up in the air though. All 8 of those ranked kids could finish in the top 4. Would be interesting to see Cochran or Spaulding up at 113. I think either one of them would take the 113 weight class title in decisive fashion. Now they have to battle each other at 106. Plus they wouldn't have to lose the weight to get down which will really suck for them with the whole SW district piece. Lot of depth in those two weights also 182 and 220.

Yeah I think Mitchell has that 113 weight class under control even though it won't be easy for him. Spots 2-4 are up in the air though. All 8 of those ranked kids could finish in the top 4. Would be interesting to see Cochran or Spaulding up at 113. I think either one of them would take the 113 weight class title in decisive fashion. Now they have to battle each other at 106. Plus they wouldn't have to lose the weight to get down which will really suck for them with the whole SW district piece. Lot of depth in those two weights also 182 and 220.

I think Mitchell has losses to both the Mason and Harrison 113's....Hollis has some nice wins and is very well coached. I would say maybe Hollis is the favorite then Mason and Harrison dudes before Mitchell. 106 up to 113 is a bigger jump than people think it is.

Hollis is a very good wrestler. Same can be said for everyone on that list. Lot of very good wrestlers on that list. I just think Spaulding and Cochran are Excellent wrestlers but they fall one notch below the Stud wrestlers (aka top 6) Going to be some very good close matches at 113. Bracket draws are going to be huge.

Wow 106 is weak in this district.
Maybe you could give some more indepth information on why you think that is. I know for a fact a couple of these weak 106 pounders has been wrestling up in weight class to challenge the studs at 113 and 120 and holding their own even up north!

Maybe you could give some more indepth information on why you think that is. I know for a fact a couple of these weak 106 pounders has been wrestling up in weight class to challenge the studs at 113 and 120 and holding their own even up north!
I could surmise how weak it is when i see the top ranked kid in SW is at 11. That seems pretty week to me.

I just think Spaulding and Cochran are Excellent wrestlers but they fall one notch below the Stud wrestlers (aka top 6)

I could surmise how weak it is when i see the top ranked kid in SW is at 11. That seems pretty week to me.

You are assuming the 106 rankings are correct. A lot of the 106's are freshmen and have never wrestled each other. I can't speak for Cochran, but Spalding is likely under ranked.

Tanner Spalding placed at Powerade last month, alongside other "Stud wrestlers" from La Salle, e.g., Dustin Norris, Jake Niffeneggar, and Dillon Walker.

Last edited:
My son wrestled Mitchell last season @ 106 multiple times and we walked away extremely impressed with Mitchell. So I'm not counting him out to be higher placed than the rankings are showing. Best of luck to all wrestlers competing and starting that state run. Should be an exciting upcoming 3 weeks. Just glad these wrestlers are getting the opportunity for a State championship...

I find it amusing you picked out 106, when a few other weights have less ranked wrestlers with some not having anyone with a ranking above 11. I'm not going to point out other weight classes because that is not fair to those kids, parents or coaches. Anyone on these list, in my humble opinion, are pretty freaking awesome. You had to do something pretty special to get on the list and get noticed. Then you have to keep doing to it to stay on the list. Just very interesting that you choose to point out 106 and use a word like weak to describe them.

I find it amusing you picked out 106, when a few other weights have less ranked wrestlers with some not having anyone with a ranking above 11. I'm not going to point out other weight classes because that is not fair to those kids, parents or coaches. Anyone on these list, in my humble opinion, are pretty freaking awesome. You had to do something pretty special to get on the list and get noticed. Then you have to keep doing to it to stay on the list. Just very interesting that you choose to point out 106 and use a word like weak to describe them.
I simply answered the question you asked to JV. I’m sure other weight classes in SW are as weak or weaker. This is par for the course year in and year out.

Over previous years the 106 weight class was a very strong weight class out of this district. 4 years ago all 4 qualifiers went on to place at the State tournament, and throughout the past 3-4 years wrestlers in the 106 weight class were pretty much battling for the 4 spot. That weight class has just produced alot of State Finalists & placers. Lucas Bryd, Zach Shupp, Dustin Norris, Cole Skinner, Pacey Najdusak, & William Doepker. Those guys battled it out for multiple years with all becoming state champs/placers.

Over previous years the 106 weight class was a very strong weight class out of this district. 4 years ago all 4 qualifiers went on to place at the State tournament, and throughout the past 3-4 years wrestlers in the 106 weight class were pretty much battling for the 4 spot. That weight class has just produced alot of State Finalists & placers. Lucas Bryd, Zach Shupp, Dustin Norris, Cole Skinner, Pacey Najdusak, & William Doepker. Those guys battled it out for multiple years with all becoming state champs/placers.
Ok that is fair. The way you worded it confused me. In the past it has been a very loaded weight class for Southwest Ohio. However, it was always top heavy. Hopefully everyone gets out of sectionals and districts healthy so maybe SW can surprise some people on the podiums.

I'm guessing if you asked Boro he'd say rankings were more difficult this year without the big tournaments and fewer head-to-head matchups. I know for the Kettering District I'd look to see how guys did at the Cincinnati Coaches Classic and the Dayton Holiday for my arguing points but those didn't happen.

I simply answered the question you asked to JV. I’m sure other weight classes in SW are as weak or weaker. This is par for the course year in and year out.
Sorry for pointing out the 106s I seemed very blunt on my response this district is extremely weak for a division 1 district in general in all weights I just have never heard of any of the kids at 106
agreed sorry I seemed blunt on my response sorry for pointing out the 106s this district is extremely weak in all weights I’ve just never heard of any of the kids not sure how Jayden Cochran is ranked 11 he hasn’t beat anyone good Spaulding is a quality wrestler I think he will easily win this district.

I was fortunate to get tickets yesterday. There were a lot of good matches. This is my goodbye to wrestling mom and completely-biased opinion after watching matches for a really long time. My son was done on Friday, so none of these are complete homer picks (although some are as we know the families).

This sport has been great for my son and family. Saturday was the beginning of the phase "just a spectator". I have seen end-of-season posts by a lot of parents over the years on Yappi. Many made me laugh or all out ugly-cry. I wondered what mine would look like. While I always thought it would be great to write about the feels when he left his shoes at the center ring, my son instead gave his to a teammate, who had ripped his out on Friday night. I'm proud of that too. I hope that anyone who ever got to be around him during meets or matches always liked him and understood that whether he beat you, or you beat him, he always tried to make sure you were better than you were 10 minutes earlier. The families from near and far have been overwhelmingly amazing! It was so cool to get to see so many representing their schools this weekend during this wild-ride of a senior season. Even though hugs and handshakes may not have been PC at this time, we'll hold you in our hearts and minds forever. To all his coaches, Tim, Terry, Todd, Van, Jamey, Boreing, Sean, Mike, Dave, Shawn, Brandon, Brad, Ryan, Brian, Rich, Nolan, Aaron, Hornung, Blevins, Brian, Planicka, Craig, The Man (Van Reid), Matt, Bo, Maffey (both of you!), Josh, John, and Don, thank you for trying to figure out my son's head and the time, energy and responses you put into him. For my fellow wrestling moms and all the wrestling dads (especially from Mason AND Ross), thank you for your support of my son on and off the mat. It has been INCREDIBLE watching our kids grow up together! For everyone, I hope that no matter what your involvement in this sport is, you are always able to see the positive direction it can steer (although sometimes it needs an alignment!). Be sure to smile and hug your wrestler when they lose, and ask your wrestler what they could have done better when they win. Be as involved as you can, take the referee classes, learn to run a bracket, weigh in site, or concession stand, offer to bring after-weigh-in snacks, know your child's teammates. Wrestling is a sport that can take everything out of you. But it also gives back tenfold if you let it. Thank you WRESTLING!

Here's what the spectator saw Saturday...We arrived to see the 113 championship rounds. The 3-4 match was interesting and competent. My eyes were never drawn to the championship match. Hertel did a nice job in the 5/6 match. "Alternate" is an interesting predicament this year.
120-It seemed that the cream rose to the top. A McCall-Gelman match may have been more interesting than any of the finals.
126- The Norris-DiTullio final will sort the two to opposite sides next weekend, which is good. Both should fare well next week. The Moore-Acuna match was wild. I thought a DQ could have been passed out, but it was not. I am glad for both wrestlers moving on.
132-The Wiles-Kleinberg match was a good one. The 3-4 match had penalty points (maybe two stalls and a locking hands?) that ended up playing in Zenni's favor. Personally, I'm okay with that. I have seen him mature and improve a lot since forever ago during the Don Jones summer camps. Both need to be careful about pushing opponents out of bounds vs. fleeing vs. good edge wrestling.
138-The 1-2 match was a weird timewarp match, really slow. The 5-6 match was busy, even though the score may appear otherwise.
145-Darnai knows how to win. Timmy will get wins next week. Both of these guys are good, solid wrestlers. Maclain is good and I'm glad he got the win (he's just always been the guy who is fun to cheer on, even in youth).
152-The bracket that gives reasons for alternates. All of the blood and placement matches were good (one I didn't see was a pin). The top five in this are all good wrestlers and could represent the southwest well next week. Nevis put in an armbar in a way I've never seen before. I liked that there was something new, even after 13 years of watching. Marsh and Mullins were a good final and should place next week. I was surprised at the amount of scoring in the 3-4 match. Get comfortable scoring is my best advice to all these guys. Thank you for being my son's opponents this year and good luck!
160-Hobbs looked great. Motter looked better on day two than day one.
170-Thompson-Walker semifinal...WOW!!! That was the best match of the day, and one where I wished it was the final instead. So much reactive wrestling! One seemed very versed in freestyle, and the other in folk. It was great! Congrats to my son's first Sunday-friend/nemesis on his district title!
182-The Amburgy-Sanchez semi-final match was the only non-pin for Owen during districts and sectionals. Then Sanchez was tested again in the 3-4 by Stein.
195-Makarrie Harden did a nice job securing 3rd place with four straight wins in consos.
220-Congratulations to Shavers from Wayne. He was very excited to earn his alternate chance for next weekend. I love seeing that! I hope you get in and get to wrestle more.
HWT-Both semifinals were fun to watch and easy to cheer for. In the 3-4 match, Skyler was up on Radical 6-1 with 10 seconds left in the match. Champ Padilla has really good timing on when and how to move on an opponent.

Best wishes for many victories on and off the mat to all wrestlers!

Last edited:
I was fortunate to get tickets yesterday. There were a lot of good matches. This is my goodbye to wrestling mom and completely-biased opinion after watching matches for a really long time. My son was done on Friday, so none of these are complete homer picks (although some are as we know the families).

This sport has been great for my son and family. Saturday was the beginning of the phase "just a spectator". I have seen end-of-season posts by a lot of parents over the years on Yappi. Many made me laugh or all out ugly-cry. I wondered what mine would look like. While I always thought it would be great to write about the feels when he left his shoes at the center ring, my son instead gave his to a teammate, who had ripped his out on Friday night. I'm proud of that too. I hope that anyone who ever got to be around him during meets or matches always liked him and understood that whether he beat you, or you beat him, he always tried to make sure you were better than you were 10 minutes earlier. The families from near and far have been overwhelmingly amazing! It was so cool to get to see so many representing their schools this weekend during this wild-ride of a senior season. Even though hugs and handshakes may not have been PC at this time, we'll hold you in our hearts and minds forever. To all his coaches, Tim, Terry, Todd, Van, Jamey, Boreing, Sean, Mike, Dave, Shawn, Brandon, Brad, Ryan, Brian, Rich, Nolan, Hornung, Blevins, Brian, Planicka, Craig, The Man (Van Reid), Matt, Bo, Maffey (both of you!), Josh, John, and Don, thank you for trying to figure out my son's head and the time, energy and responses you put into him. For my fellow wrestling moms and all the wrestling dads (especially from Mason AND Ross), thank you for your support of my son on and off the mat. It has been INCREDIBLE watching our kids grow up together! For everyone, I hope that no matter what your involvement in this sport is, you are always able to see the positive direction it can steer (although sometimes it needs an alignment!). Be sure to smile and hug your wrestler when they lose, and ask your wrestler what they could have done better when they win. Be as involved as you can, take the referee classes, learn to run a bracket, weigh in site, or concession stand, offer to bring after-weigh-in snacks, know your child's teammates. Wrestling is a sport that can take everything out of you. But it also gives back tenfold if you let it. Thank you WRESTLING!

Here's what the spectator saw Saturday...We arrived to see the 113 championship rounds. The 3-4 match was interesting and competent. My eyes were never drawn to the championship match. Hertel did a nice job in the 5/6 match. "Alternate" is an interesting predicament this year.
120-It seemed that the cream rose to the top. A McCall-Gelman match may have been more interesting than any of the finals.
126- The Norris-DiTullio final will sort the two to opposite sides next weekend, which is good. Both should fare well next week. The Moore-Acuna match was wild. I thought a DQ could have been passed out, but it was not. I am glad for both wrestlers moving on.
132-The Wiles-Kleinberg match was a good one. The 3-4 match had penalty points (maybe two stalls and a locking hands?) that ended up playing in Zenni's favor. Personally, I'm okay with that. I have seen him mature and improve a lot since forever ago during the Don Jones summer camps. Both need to be careful about pushing opponents out of bounds vs. fleeing vs. good edge wrestling.
138-The 1-2 match was a weird timewarp match, really slow. The 5-6 match was busy, even though the score may appear otherwise.
145-Darnai knows how to win. Timmy will get wins next week. Both of these guys are good, solid wrestlers. Maclain is good and I'm glad he got the win (he's just always been the guy who is fun to cheer on, even in youth).
152-The bracket that gives reasons for alternates. All of the blood and placement matches were good (one I didn't see was a pin). The top five in this are all good wrestlers and could represent the southwest well next week. Nevis put in an armbar in a way I've never seen before. I liked that there was something new, even after 13 years of watching. Marsh and Mullins were a good final and should place next week. I was surprised at the amount of scoring in the 3-4 match. Get comfortable scoring is my best advice to all these guys. Thank you for being my son's opponents this year and good luck!
160-Hobbs looked great. Motter looked better on day two than day one.
170-Thompson-Walker semifinal...WOW!!! That was the best match of the day, and one where I wished it was the final instead. So much reactive wrestling! One seemed very versed in freestyle, and the other in folk. It was great! Congrats to my son's first Sunday-friend/nemesis on his district title!
182-The Amburgy-Sanchez semi-final match was the only non-pin for Owen during districts and sectionals. Then Sanchez was tested again in the 3-4 by Stein.
195-Makarrie Harden did a nice job securing 3rd place with four straight wins in consos.
220-Congratulations to Shavers from Wayne. He was very excited to earn his alternate chance for next weekend. I love seeing that! I hope you get in and get to wrestle more.
HWT-Both semifinals were fun to watch and easy to cheer for. In the 3-4 match, Skyler was up on Radical 6-1 with 10 seconds left in the match. Champ Padilla has really good timing on when and how to move on an opponent.

Best wishes for many victories on and off the mat to all wrestlers!
Awesome and very classy post I love reading a parents perspective about how it is when their child's career ends at the high school level.