D1 Copley

SVillegrad

It's a foregone conclusion that Medina will be the No. 1 seed and this is their district to lose, but it will be interesting to see how the rest of the seeding shapes out because looking at it, I have no clue how things will fall, but we'll see soon.

I think Walsh Jesuit should be the No. 2. They have a couple of decent wins (Warren Harding, Lake Catholic) and three of their five losses (at the time of the vote ... though it's now 4 of 6 after the loss to St. V tonight) are ones that they can't be penalized for ... 1 point to Shaker Heights, 8 points to Elder (in Cincinnati), 2 points to St. Xavier (in Cincinnati). Not a great resume, but probably enough to get the two seed, or the three at worse (which avoids Medina until the district finals)

After that, it's probably between Hoban, Ellet, Twinsburg and maybe Barberton as the next three.

Hoban is only 9-9 but over the past couple weeks has picked up wins against Lake Catholic, Walsh Jesuit, VASJ and a big one Friday at Cleveland Central Catholic. The losses recently were Ed's by 9, Hoover by 4 and St. V by 15. The wins against Lake Catholic, VASJ and CCC also avenged losses to those teams earlier in the season. I think that should be enough to earn at least the three seed.

Ellet has a nice record (15-4) but the City Series is horrible with Livingston transferring from Buchtel. They have no noticeable wins, and a loss H2H (albeit by one point) to Barberton. They also lost to Hoover by 37 and Dover by 25.

Twinsburg and Barberton were both 12-6 at the draw deadline. Neither team has any big wins and while they each have losses to mediocre teams, they've at least been competitive games (though I guess Barberton losing to Massillon Perry by 27 is pretty bad).

You can probably draw names out of a hat with them, though.

If I had to guess, it is going to be:

1. Medina
2. Walsh
3. Hoban
4. Twinsburg
5. Barberton
6. Ellet
7. Kent
8. Highland
9. Wadsworth
10. Firestone
11. North
12. Cuyahoga Falls
13. Kenmore-Garfield

2 thru 13 doesn't matter, Medina is walking through this District.
My top 4...
1. Medina
2. Walsh
3. Hoban
4. Ellet

Here's how the seeding went, waiting on brackets.
Copley Sectional seeds...
1. Medina
2. Walsh
3. Ellet
4. Twinsburg
5. Barberton
6. Hoban
7. Kent Roosevelt
8. Highland
9. Ak.North
10. Wadsworth
11. Firestone
12. Cuyahoga Falls
13. Kenmore-Garfield

Screenshot_20200209-174508_Chrome.jpg

Definitely Medina's to lose here. Player the type of schedule that prepares you for the postseason and should be a heavy favorite to come out of the Copley District.

It fell kind of how I thought, though a bit of a surprise that Hoban ended up the No. 6.

Not to say that Twinsburg/Barberton can't pull an upset, but the two teams I think have the best shot are Walsh and Hoban. Only having to face one of the two make the road a little easier for Medina.

Looks like Ellet didn't do anything tonight to prove they deserved the No. 3 seed, falling to a 4-14 Wadsworth team 48-31 tonight. Oh well, the seeding of them and Hoban (which beat Canton Central Catholic 63-43 tonight) should've been flipped. They'll still meet in the sectional final, just at Ellet instead of Hoban.

Of other games involving district teams, No. 1 Medina took it easy on Euclid in the second half and still rolled 66-39. I saw Kent beat Streetsboro (PTC Metro champs, correct??) and Highland lost a pretty close game to a 18-1 Wooster team, 46-40.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago, I would have said Medina was the biggest favorite outside of Lorain to win their NEO district. But it looks like Walsh and Hoban are both playing real well and beating some solid teams. With the schedules Walsh and Hoban have played, It's a three team race, though, I'm glad Hoban was "awarded" the 6 seed and on the opposite side from Medina. Walsh-Hoban against Medina now looking like it's going to be a good district final.

BTW, Walsh's freshmen are the only team to beat Medina's freshmen. From what I know, a former All-Ohio Walsh alum has been working to get good basketball players to go there. I just know that because he was trying to get mine on an AAU team he's affiliated with (though never tried pushing Walsh to me, it was all about AAU, which didn't happen). But I don't see them going away, and with Hoban being solid, maybe it will chip away at SVSM's strangle on the Akron area.

A couple weeks ago, I would have said Medina was the biggest favorite outside of Lorain to win their NEO district. But it looks like Walsh and Hoban are both playing real well and beating some solid teams. With the schedules Walsh and Hoban have played, It's a three team race, though, I'm glad Hoban was "awarded" the 6 seed and on the opposite side from Medina. Walsh-Hoban against Medina now looking like it's going to be a good district final.

BTW, Walsh's freshmen are the only team to beat Medina's freshmen. From what I know, a former All-Ohio Walsh alum has been working to get good basketball players to go there. I just know that because he was trying to get mine on an AAU team he's affiliated with (though never tried pushing Walsh to me, it was all about AAU, which didn't happen). But I don't see them going away, and with Hoban being solid, maybe it will chip away at SVSM's strangle on the Akron area.
Medina is overrated lost to Lakewood, St. Eds is a bigger favorite to win it's district more than Lorain and Medina. Medina might not make it to the final, crazy how things have changed in a few days.

Medina is overrated lost to Lakewood, St. Eds is a bigger favorite to win it's district more than Lorain and Medina. Medina might not make it to the final, crazy how things have changed in a few days.

It was not a good night for sure. But I'm not going to read too much into yet (though a close call against Elyria in the previous game makes me a bit concerned). Last night's game against Lakewood, though, was the perfect storm or events:

1. It was a meaningless non-conference game on the road.
2. Medina's focus (you'll never get the coaches to admit it) was on Friday's game at Brunswick (to clinch at least a share of the GCC).
3. Medina jumped out to a 23-4 lead and looked like it was going to be a blowout.
4. Lakewood wanted it, though. Never gave up and actually found a game plan that was simple but effective. ISO'ed their 6-6 forward (Nate Mims) as the PG and let him break down the defense. I was really impressed with him (and the No. 10 kid, a 6-3 kid who could also put the ball on the floor).
5. Lakewood also hit some big shots (banked a 3 at the first-half buzzer from 25 feet) and Medina went ice cold (from the field and from the foul line).
6. The second half was physical and the refs swallowed the whistle on both ends (a total of 9 fouls called outside the final second when two teams were constantly driving to the rim with a lot of contact ... that played into Lakewood's advantage).
7. Despite swallowing the whistle the entire second half, the refs called a ticky-tack foul on Medina on a put back attempt with 1.8 seconds left in a tie game. The kid missed the first, hit the second. Game.
8. Lakewood's students stormed the floor in what was their "state championship" type win.

If Brunswick (which is better than both Elyria and Lakewood ... and would be a top 4 team at Copley) knocks off Medina, even in a road rivalry game, I'll really question where this team is at. But if they go out and play up to their capabilities, they'll beat Brunswick by double digits and all is better, for now.

Last edited:
It was not a good night for sure. But I'm not going to read too much into yet (though a close call against Elyria in the previous game makes me a bit concerned). Last night's game against Lakewood, though, was the perfect storm or events:

1. It was a meaningless non-conference game on the road.
2. Medina's focus (you'll never get the coaches to admit it) was on Friday's game at Brunswick (to clinch at least a share of the GCC).
3. Medina jumped out to a 23-4 lead and looked like it was going to be a blowout.
4. Lakewood wanted it, though. Never gave up and actually found a game plan that was simple but effective. ISO'ed their 6-6 forward (Nate Mims) as the PG and let him break down the defense. I was really impressed with him (and the No. 10 kid, a 6-3 kid who could also put the ball on the floor).
5. Lakewood also hit some big shots (banked a 3 at the first-half buzzer from 25 feet) and Medina went ice cold (from the field and from the foul line).
6. The second half was physical and the refs swallowed the whistle on both ends (a total of 9 fouls called outside the final second when two teams were constantly driving to the rim with a lot of contact ... that played into Lakewood's advantage).
7. Despite swallowing the whistle the entire second half, the refs called a ticky-tack foul on Medina on a put back attempt with 1.8 seconds left in a tie game. The kid missed the first, hit the second. Game.
8. Lakewood's students stormed the floor in what was their "state championship" type win.

If Brunswick (which is better than both Elyria and Lakewood ... and would be a top 4 team at Copley) knocks off Medina, even in a road rivalry game, I'll really question where this team is at. But if they go out and play up to their capabilities, they'll beat Brunswick by double digits and all is better, for now.
You sound like a salty dog about the students on the floor. If that was the Bees you would be cool with it.

First games tonight. Not much interest in this District.

Not much to talk about. Nothing surprising happened in the opening games outside of Barberton being taken to OT. Was Wadsworth over Kent an upset?? Maybe, but both are mediocre at best teams ... lol, how did Kent fool anybody into voting them into the initial D1 AP top 10. They beat 7 worthless to ho hum teams to start the season and went 4-11 from that point forward, against more worthless to ho-hum teams.

Even in the sectional finals, the only game that has any intrigue is Twinsburg-Barberton. ... the other three should be blowouts. Yes, I think Hoban absolutely hammers Ellet for what happened at the vote (got some good info that some coaches voted way different than what was discussed internally, and voted down Hoban in an attempt to try to pair Medina/Hoban in the sectional finals/semis) ... well that backfired.

Think we will still get Medina-Hoban, but in the finals.

Last edited:
Not much to talk about. Nothing surprising happened in the opening games outside of Barberton being taken to OT. Was Wadsworth over Kent an upset?? Maybe, but both are mediocre at best teams ... lol, how did Kent fool anybody into voting them into the initial D1 AP top 10. They beat 7 worthless to ho hum teams to start the season and went 4-11 from that point forward, against more worthless to ho-hum teams.

Even in the sectional finals, the only game that has any intrigue is Twinsburg-Barberton. ... the other three should be blowouts. Yes, I think Hoban absolutely hammers Ellet for what happened at the vote (got some good info that some coaches voted way different than what was discussed internally, and voted down Hoban in an attempt to try to pair Medina/Hoban in the sectional finals/semis) ... well that backfired.

Think we will still get Medina-Hoban, but in the finals.

Your analysis is better than the games! Thanks. Following from afar.

Hoban 44
Ellet 41

Ellet led 41-36 with over 3 minutes to play but couldn't seal the deal.
Helluva year at 15-8 from Coach Hazzard and the boys. They overachieved for sure but were all in every night. The adversity that began on Feb.1 took a toll on this group but they kept battling. Proud of this group is an understatement.

Hoban 44
Ellet 41

Helluva year at 15-8 from Coach Hazzard and the boys. They overachieved for sure but were all in every night. The adversity that began on Feb.1 took a toll on this group but they kept battling. Proud of this group is an understatement.
Really like their coach. Seems like a great guy. Saw the play Green and they looked well coached

Hoban 44
Ellet 41

Despite the loss, Ellet proved me wrong. I honestly thought they were going to get ran (because while it was back in the summer, I really liked the talent Hoban had when I saw them), but sounds like a game Ellet should have had.

There was a reason why this thread didn't get much talk, because why there were some decent teams in the field, Medina was a tier above anybody else.

I do think Walsh's future is bright (have some good players at the lower levels) so we could see Medina-Walsh in the title game again the next couple of years.