D1 Columbus District venue

bsee54321

What happened? Unfortunately, Ohio Dominican is the best venue available besides going back to the Fairgrounds Coliseum. Ohio State's new Cavalli Arena could be an option but think OSU will what mega $$$ and OSU does not want that arena to be a basketball venue. Using the Convention Center is OK but it falls same time as Arnold Classic and Arnold wins out there. So the Central District hands are somewhat tied.

OldSkool82

About 2 minutes into 3rd quarter the auxiliary hoops began coming down on fans heads. 2 in particular and the hoop over the Walnut Ridge bench also came down. Fans sitting in the aisles also. Can’t believe there is not a better venue in Columbus.

ohiopup

Sounds to me; like some prankster got to the master control switch.

View... of facility / Seats 2000

:>---

SALT

OldSkool82

I would agree! Someone had a “It’s a wonderful life” pool seen moment! Could of been a lot worse. Couple gentlemen held up the hoop that almost caught the stands in front of my grandsons. All in all was a great day of basketball! Definitely a meat grinder.

bsee54321

I think for Division IV and III it is fine but for Division II and I a larger venue is needed. Not sure of attendance this year for Division I but there have been District Finals at Ohio Dominican where competing teams can not get tickets.

OldSkool82

OD could also invest or turn on exhaust fans. Don’t think condensation was a issue but potential was certainly there. Has it happened in the past?

Scibourne

I have heard there was supposed to be this 4000 seat arena in the works up in Dublin. I keep hearing this rumor but nothing has materialized. Is this a pipe dream or something legitimate?

The Dock

I think for Division IV and III it is fine but for Division II and I a larger venue is needed. Not sure of attendance this year for Division I but there have been District Finals at Ohio Dominican where competing teams can not get tickets.
The complaint I have with ODU is getting in/getting out. Last year for the D4 district final it took 15 minutes to get into the lot after getting on Sunbury from Leonard/Airport, and this was 1pm on a Saturday.

Put D4 back at Bloom-Carroll, on a Saturday. Put D3 at DeSales or Bradley. D2 seemed to work fine at Central Crossing, but other appropriate sites would be Africentric or Coffman. D1 is the tricky part since the CDAB is averse to scheduling a gym that might be a participating school’s.

ringer2

Everyone agrees ODU is not ideal (come on, though, a “debacle”?). But there just isn’t a better place. Fairgrounds? They have no interest in hosting anymore. Convention Center? Arnold conflict. Cavelli Center? OSU won’t book it. St. John’s? Again, OSU won’t commit. Coaches consistently say they don’t like playing in HS gyms because it lacks a tournament feel. And none are any bigger than ODU anyway.

The Dock

I have heard there was supposed to be this 4000 seat arena in the works up in Dublin. I keep hearing this rumor but nothing has materialized. Is this a pipe dream or something legitimate?
It’s supposed to be built within the Bridge Park development at Riverside/257 and 161/Dublin-Granville road.

HardCorps

About 2 minutes into 3rd quarter the auxiliary hoops began coming down on fans heads. 2 in particular and the hoop over the Walnut Ridge bench also came down. Fans sitting in the aisles also. Can’t believe there is not a better venue in Columbus.
Pathetic.

zebrastripes

MVNU would be an awesome host and arena. Just north of the geographic center of Ohio.

Good luck getting coaches on board with driving up to Knox County, though.

The Dock

MVNU would be an awesome host and arena. Just north of the geographic center of Ohio.

Good luck getting coaches on board with driving up to Knox County, though.
MVNU works for semifinals were the one or two of the teams competing up that way. For finals? It would likely have reduced turnout, plus is a PITA for 80% or so of the district. Even the Delaware County schools would find the drive cumbersome.

dhsdog06

Not from Central Ohio, but there's gotta be more options. Capital? Ohio Wesleyan? Obviously the OSU arenas would be expensive and the fairgrounds or Convention Center have the mentioned issues. But I'm not sure how big the gyms at the other colleges are? Certainly something to look into if ODU isn't a good option.

ringer2

Not from Central Ohio, but there's gotta be more options. Capital? Ohio Wesleyan? Obviously the OSU arenas would be expensive and the fairgrounds or Convention Center have the mentioned issues. But I'm not sure how big the gyms at the other colleges are? Certainly something to look into if ODU isn't a good option.
And practically zero parking. If you think ODU has issues getting people in and out, capital and otterbein would be disasters.

Do you actually think other options haven’t been considered?

Raider6309

South east plays in a 14,000 seat arena because of Athens. I’m surprised no one in the central district isn’t a big wig at Ohio State or the city of Columbus.

ringer2

As I stated above, the district would love to play at Covelli or St John. OSU will not agree to host because of the chance they will need to facility themselves for a Big Ten tournaments or other events.

dhsdog06

And practically zero parking. If you think ODU has issues getting people in and out, capital and otterbein would be disasters.

Do you actually think other options haven’t been considered?
No I don't think other options haven't been considered. I know very little about either, other than their existence.

Guess we're spoiled up here in NW Ohio with a nice D3 gym at ONU abd then both UT and BGSU being willing to host.

TCSoup

The Convention Center used to Host concerts and I believe there has been HS games played there before. The Irish Reunion is held in the same building every St. Patricks Day and it handles the Parking for that. There are plenty of Hotels within walking distance. I seen REO , 38 Special and a Grand Funk All Star band there.

ohiopup

The Convention Center used to Host concerts and I believe there has been HS games played there before. The Irish Reunion is held in the same building every St. Patricks Day and it handles the Parking for that. There are plenty of Hotels within walking distance. I seen REO , 38 Special and a Grand Funk All Star band there.
See post #2 this thread...

:>---

SALT

ringer2

As stated earlier, the Arnold prohibits the CCC from being used in most years.