D-VII state semi: Lima Central Catholic (8-1) vs New Bremen (8-2)

CJK84

New Bremen has garnered a lot of attention the past two weeks by knocking off a strong Fort Loramie team and then beating undefeated Marion Local (both on the road) to claim their first-ever regional title (unless they won their region in 2004 - not sure).

But LCC, even though they've played without their superstar running back Thomas (broken foot) in the past three or four games, has been blowing playoff opponents out with a seemingly unstoppable offense.

Who wins this contest between schools only 35 minutes apart?

Can NB avoid a hangover and rebound strongly from a draining victory against ML?

Last edited:

Have not watched either team live of course, but would LOVE to see this one. If this gets to be an offensive show, NB will not keep up. Haven't seen too many D7 teams have the athleticism of LCC. I know they were stopped each year the last few years, but something about them this year is different. Just cant put my finger on it

I’ve seen LCC play a few times this year and also saw Bremen play. LCC is scary fast. I’ll take the Thunderbirds by 14.

LCC 42
New Bremen 28

This one is simple and the makings of a running clock.

Can NB score 45+?

tuLCC will score 42+ so for the Cardinals to have a chance they will need to get close to fiddy.

... if New Bremen can knock off the Flyers, they can beat anyone in D7.
I agree with that assessment, but am worried that NB will have a hangover after two grueling games and come out flat against an LCC team that has breezed through the playoffs thus far.

NB certainly has good linemen: #52, #55, #72 in particular are strong on both sides of the ball (#55 plays mlb on d). Hopefully, NB can come out crisp and sharp and slow the LCC attack.

Last edited:
...am worried that NB will have a hangover after two grueling games and come out flat against an LCC team that has breezed through the playoffs thus far.
Agreed.
Yet it also can give the mental confidence that, IMO, Bremen has been lacking.

LCC's speed will be a big issue indeed. The Cards will have to be on top of their game but they definatly can win.

I think LCC will get NB best. They are a mature competitive team. I haven't watched LCC play yet so I don't know if NB best will be good enough. Although, I don't see any D7 team scoring 40+ on NB.

I think LCC will get NB best. They are a mature competitive team. I haven't watched LCC play yet so I don't know if NB best will be good enough. Although, I don't see any D7 team scoring 40+ on NB.
Talking about maturity NB has 17 seniors so they aren’t exactly a young bunch.

You may be correct, as anything can happen on a given night. New Bremen is on a roll right now. It got my attention when they crushed Versailles, a team that gave D5 semi-finalist Roger Bacon their only close contest of the playoffs thus far. I still doubted that they would beat Fort Loramie. I really doubted they would beat MSML, which as you know, is no small feat in the playoffs. No team remaining in D7 can boast a win as big as the New Bremen win this past Friday. LCC may win, but if New Bremen can knock off the Flyers, they can beat anyone in D7.
I’ll stand by it. Seen LCC in person dismantle my knights. Watched multiple other games on wosn. I’ve said it all year. LCC is the team to beat. Hats off to NB for such a great win. The MAC is the gold standard. However, no one is touching LCC in D7 playoffs this year.

LCC is the most athletic team I’ve seen play in D7. No Thomas. No problem. They have kids flying all over the field.

Wait until about 8:32 this Friday night.

Report from the locker room last week said LCC players are so fast, they suited up by putting both legs into their pants simultaneously, rather than the traditional one leg at a time New Bremen method.

When word of this amazing feet reaches New Bremen players, no telling how they will respond?

Power kills speed. I wont presume to offer a final score but seriously doubt New Bremen gives up more than 24 points. If they do give up more than that, the speedy dressing LCC will win the contest.

Looking forward to broadcasting this game. New Bremen has made some huge plays the past two weeks but like everyone says, they'll have to slow down that LCC offense to keep on playing.

Report from the locker room last week said LCC players are so fast, they suited up by putting both legs into their pants simultaneously, rather than the traditional one leg at a time New Bremen method.

When word of this amazing feet reaches New Bremen players, no telling how they will respond?

Power kills speed. I wont presume to offer a final score but seriously doubt New Bremen gives up more than 24 points. If they do give up more than that, the speedy dressing LCC will win the contest.
Lol. Good analysis. From my perspective, I’ve seen three teams play my knights that are in state. Van Wert, Grove, and LCC. If there was one I’d “like” to see go down, it’s LCC. A lot of love/hate but also respect between our schools. However, I will boldly say that of the three we faced, LCC was the best. For what it’s worth, I have a fairly decent perspective of who is playing in three of the semi-state games. Bremen will need to come out with more than a power run game from their QB to keep up with LCC scoring. We will see. If they can contain LCC on their first couple of drives, they have a chance to keep it close.

A team worse than NB knocked them off, and I agree with the assessment that if NB can beat MSML, they can beat anyone. Give me NB

LCC does look like a complete team, but who is the best team they played this year? Do they have 4 games against teams close to MSML, Coldwater or Ft Laramie? Asking honestly because looking at the scores of the last 3 games for each team tells a different story than looking at who each of them played.

LCC does look like a complete team, but who is the best team they played this year? Do they have 4 games against teams close to MSML, Coldwater or Ft Laramie? Asking honestly because looking at the scores of the last 3 games for each team tells a different story than looking at who each of them played.
No they do not and the best team played was probably liberty benton, in which they lost. Licking valley was a decent win but I wouldn’t put them on MSML, CW or FL level. Looks to me the defense has gotten shredded a few times. Gave up 41 points to Cambridge, a team ranked 380 in the state according to maxpreps and gave up 47 to Benton. The MSML and FL wins NB has dwarfs anything they have done by far. Give me NB

Last edited:
Remember, LCC had more than a handful of kids out for LV, Cambridge and L-B games with Covid protocol. I think for Cambridge it was double digit kids out. MSML was a very, very good team but certainly had some issues they maybe haven't had in the past, especially with multiple QB's. Loramie was good but not last year good. I'll take LCC to win the entire thing.

Remember, LCC had more than a handful of kids out for LV, Cambridge and L-B games with Covid protocol. I think for Cambridge it was double digit kids out. MSML was a very, very good team but certainly had some issues they maybe haven't had in the past, especially with multiple QB's. Loramie was good but not last year good. I'll take LCC to win the entire thing.
Fair enough. Didn’t know they had a bunch out. I think NB is feeling good and on a roll coming off 2 good wins, the better one being last week. Defense has been playing good too. I’m gonna stick with what appears to be the underdog

No they do not and the best team played was probably liberty benton, in which they lost. Licking valley was a decent win but I wouldn’t put them on MSML, CW or FL level. Looks to me the defense has gotten shredded a few times. Gave up 41 points to Cambridge, a team ranked 380 in the state according to maxpreps and gave up 47 to Benton. The MSML and FL wins NB has dwarfs anything they have done by far. Give me NB
Remember they also beat that unbelievably dynamic Crestview team....

I’ll stand by it. Seen LCC in person dismantle my knights. Watched multiple other games on wosn. I’ve said it all year. LCC is the team to beat. Hats off to NB for such a great win. The MAC is the gold standard. However, no one is touching LCC in D7 playoffs this year.
Crestview is 212 on maxpreps while NB is 58. Am I missing something here??? I’d say NB is by far better than Crestview

Attachments

• E95CD865-FB61-4175-BED5-4EEEFB2F3A38.png
    E95CD865-FB61-4175-BED5-4EEEFB2F3A38.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
How did that work for them?
I was under the impression that schools would forfeit if even one player had issues.
I don’t believe any player actually contracted Covid. There were several players forced to quarantine due the possibility of exposure from another student. Since that incident The vast majority of football players have gone to remote learning.

From what I've seen I believe NB takes this one convincingly. Something like 2 scores should be the difference.
Oh boy... You must be out of your head today. If you think that LCC will take a beating to NB then must've been watching the wrong film. If you've ever seen the running back that LCC has got in their backfield then you would be crazy to bet against that kid. He's got the biggest heart I've ever seen in a high school football player, he wont let anyone get in his way of taking LCC to a ring.