D VI State Semi-Final: Marion Local (14-0) vs. Columbus Grove (12-2)

Who wins?

• Marion Local

Votes: 95 88.8%
  • Columbus Grove

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters

ML playing at a very high level right now. Unless there's a Maag in the backfield, CG will struggle.

ML wins comfortably 33-7

I honestly think the only intrigue in this game is whether Marion will give up a TD. In their past 8 games they've given up 1 field goal. Read that again. Seriously. 8 games. 3 points.

They have 10....TEN!!!! shutouts in 14 games. In the other 4 they've given up 3, 7, 7 and 16.

As much as I respect Kirtland, I honestly think the only real question in D6 is whether ANYONE can score a TD on Marion.

No doubt ML is unreal and are favored in every game they play in. Grove heard that in a state championship game with them in 2003. I am not saying Grove wins but they probably have the best linebacker corp in DVI 6’3” 240. 6’1” 235 and 6’ 180 and their defense is solid. Past two games defense has given up 8 & 3 first downs for the game against what was supposed to be really good teams. To be honest their offense might struggle but they do average over 30 per game -they have not faced a defense like ML Hope for better weather and an injury free game

What happened in the Grove-AE game? Without knowing any details, that would suggest bad things are in store for Grove. But I also know funny things happen in football.

I'm an NWC guy,,,but no just no,,,great season Grove final four,,,,one of top teams in D6, but this is a 38 or 42 to zero game,,,,you know it's bad when we are talking about if a team can even score in a semifinal game

No doubt ML is unreal and are favored in every game they play in. Grove heard that in a state championship game with them in 2003. I am not saying Grove wins but they probably have the best linebacker corp in DVI 6’3” 240. 6’1” 235 and 6’ 180 and their defense is solid. Past two games defense has given up 8 & 3 first downs for the game against what was supposed to be really good teams. To be honest their offense might struggle but they do average over 30 per game -they have not faced a defense like ML Hope for better weather and an injury free game
That Marion Local team went 7-3 in the regular season, including getting beat soundly at least twice if I remember correctly. If Grove has better linebackers than Marion, this will be a heck of a defensive battle!

Not to sound snarky but I undershot Marion when I predicted 38-0 against AE, so I will go bold and say 49-0 ML. The defense is just too good. They get off the field quickly and will keep those Grove LBs on the field much of the game. Marion spends A LOT of time conditioning for this very reason. They will wear down Groves defense by the end of the 1st half. The only team Marion can't seem to wear down is Kirtland.

That Marion Local team went 7-3 in the regular season, including getting beat soundly at least twice if I remember correctly ...
2003 ML losses in regular season:

Coldwater 7-0
Versailles 37-0
DSJ 42-7

I think those are correct.

That Flyer team rebounded and played well in the playoffs. Played well in the state final other than not being able to stop Blaine Maag, who had an unbelievable game rushing the ball. Behind a nearly dominant o line he personally gained close to 300 yards if I recall correctly.

Grove beat ML 28-26 in that game. Grove was a little more in control than the score would suggest.

Last edited:
CG Lb's than ML's, I have to see this.
Good LBs by typical small school standards, not by MAC standards, don't be fooled.....if you go to be impressed by Groves defense you will be disappointed,,,,this is not going to be a game at all. No one who has watched HS football this year thinks this will be close

I think we are trying to find things to talk about, but we are to the point in D6, where the season is over, these games are just formalities, they shutout Grove and I guess whoever scores 10 maybe in the title game but still loses by 28

I think we are trying to find things to talk about, but we are to the point in D6, where the season is over, these games are just formalities, they shutout Grove and I guess whoever scores 10 maybe in the title game but still loses by 28
I hope the coaching staffs and players for CG, Kirtland, and FF feel differently.

Marion is really strong, but anyone can be beaten.

Marion is definitely the heavy favorite...and for good reason. They've proven it. The opinions and predictions are based on that. No disrespect to Grove at all. It's predictions based on what has happened. I'm stating this for likelyhood that a poster may take offense and state "well Grove may as well not even show up huh?. Well, our team this and our team that" Has happened many times before. It is what it is. Marion is on a ROLL. The consensus is that nobody has come close to stopping them...even while in arguably the best small school conference. IMO, Kirkland has proven in the past and this year, to be the only team that Marion will have to really respect. Again, this is NO disrespect to the Grove program or community. Just stating an opinion based on past and present history.

Not to sound snarky but I undershot Marion when I predicted 38-0 against AE, so I will go bold and say 49-0 ML. The defense is just too good. They get off the field quickly and will keep those Grove LBs on the field much of the game. Marion spends A LOT of time conditioning for this very reason. They will wear down Groves defense by the end of the 1st half. The only team Marion can't seem to wear down is Kirtland.
Funny, I said on another thread the only team Kirtland’s can’t wear down is Marion Local

The linebackers not from Marion Local getting voted 1st team must be really, really special to get the award over Marion Local's Drew Seitz and Aidan Eifert. Marion Local has 1 All District Linebacker in Darren Meier. He has probably been the ML MVP on offense and defense this year. Meier was out against Allen East last night and Marion Local still shut out an offense that featured a QB that was all district co-offensive player of the year. Coach Goodwin did not get coach of the year. The media is clearly voting these awards local to their market to sell papers and not to the best players or coaches.

This is what we call an old fashioned stalemate. Always a great game. Hopefully marion comes out on top this time if they get the pleasure to meet up again 😉

This year has a different feel to it though. In 2015, both MSML and Kirtland seemed vulnerable. They both had taken a loss during the season.
In 2017, Kirtland seemed more vulnerable leading up to that game. MSML was quite stout.
In 2018, MSML seemed vulnerable on the lines compared to the beef Kirtland had.
This year there doesn't seem to be much weakness on either team. Just can't see either team losing. But one will. No disrespect toward Fort Frye or CG. We fans tend to look ahead but the teams aren't.

😆, any phrase that starts no disrespect means I'm about to disrespect you,,,,come on guys your all thinking it,,Grove doesn't belong on the same field, what they need to do is remap the regions and move a couple of MAC schools north, so we can get some good games,,,,

😆, any phrase that starts no disrespect means I'm about to disrespect you,,,,come on guys your all thinking it,,Grove doesn't belong on the same field, what they need to do is remap the regions and move a couple of MAC schools north, so we can get some good games,,,,

I don't think it's disrespectful for fans to predict a MSML vs Kirtland final. If Fort Frye or CG win this weekend, then a few of us will just be proven wrong. I can live with being wrong about things. I have to.

IMO, Kirkland has proven in the past and this year, to be the only team that Marion will have to really respect. Again, this is NO disrespect to the Grove program or community. Just stating an opinion based on past and present history.
I’d like to think that the Flyers ‘really respect’ every team they play. If they didn’t they would’ve gotten knocked off already.

What happened in the Grove-AE game? Without knowing any details, that would suggest bad things are in store for Grove. But I also know funny things happen in football.
Grove is not at all the same team they were in week 5. They've basically re-invented their entire offensive scheme since then.

If Grove "doesn't belong on the same field" where does that leave your school?

It must be rough being a pirate fan, watching Grove just down the road with 3 Regional Championships, 5 NWC Championships, 7 playoff appearances and 14 playoff wins since 2005. What's Bluffton got in that same time frame, 1 covid playoff win? :unsure: I really hope my team never gets to the point where find more excitement from trolling their rivals than I do from actually following my own school

Anyhow, the game this weekend - Grove's got as good of a shot as ever to take down the champs. Speculate all you want, I'm supporting and rolling with my Dogs to win and move on to Canton. If they lose, then so be it, that's why we play the game, but don't forget we're talking about high school kids. Any given game is a chance for a great story, and taking down this ML team would be a pretty dang good one

I’d like to think that the Flyers ‘really respect’ every team they play. If they didn’t they would’ve gotten knocked off already.
I was referring to to what "outsiders" may be thinking rather than the actual Flyer program. That's what my post was stating.

"to be the only team that Marion will have to really respect"

...Marion will have issues with...
Would inserting this help clarify. 😉

If Grove "doesn't belong on the same field" where does that leave your school?

It must be rough being a pirate fan, watching Grove just down the road with 3 Regional Championships, 5 NWC Championships, 7 playoff appearances and 14 playoff wins since 2005. What's Bluffton got in that same time frame, 1 covid playoff win? :unsure: I really hope my team never gets to the point where find more excitement from trolling their rivals than I do from actually following my own school

Anyhow, the game this weekend - Grove's got as good of a shot as ever to take down the champs. Speculate all you want, I'm supporting and rolling with my Dogs to win and move on to Canton. If they lose, then so be it, that's why we play the game, but don't forget we're talking about high school kids. Any given game is a chance for a great story, and taking down this ML team would be a pretty dang good one
I typically agree with you but are you essentially putting ML on the same level as Col. Crawford?

have a feeling that a dude named Stirred... is going to respond to your linebacker theory...