D VI State Championship: Coldwater (11-0) vs New Middletown Springfield (11-0)

Who wins

• Coldwater

Votes: 87 77.7%
  • Springfield

Votes: 25 22.3%

• Total voters
probably saw you played...... what year did Coldwater play Orrville? Zwick at QB as a Freshman? and they had a big 6' 8" kid at WR , that I think went to Indiana?
1998. Orrville.
Zwick was a FROSH then was recruited to Massillon.
Their WR went to Indiana.
The infamous "catch" to win the game for Orrville.

That was Coldwater's first trip to the finals in program history. That Senior class was the first group that had all four years with Coach Reed, God Bless His Soul. Prior to 98 the best season was in 1995 losing in the semifinals. In that game, CW's QB, who was also their best defender, injured his shoulder early in the game and they had zero backup help that year. I recall after that season Coach Reed saying he would never again have his team so ill prepared at the backup QB position.

After a week ten loss to DSJ most thought Coldwater was not going to make the playoffs with the 8-2 record. The other loss was vs the pre MAC Versailles Tigerball. That was the last year of 4 teams per region.

Wk 11: 40-12 win against Kenton.
WK12: 43-8 over Lima Bath who had, according to the Lima News, "Superman" at Linebacker.
WK13: Cincinnati Wyoming. Running back, Richard Hall, had 106 career TDs. Coming into the game Hall was the second leading rusher in yards in a season (finished with 2855) and finished one yard behind Brewer for yards rushing in a season.

That was the infamous Do Over game. At the end of the half, Wyoming was going for a FG and it was blocked. One of CWs fastest players ended up with the ball and was easily going to return it for a TD but an inadvertent whistle stopped the play. (they admitted they screwed up and blew it dead as if it was a blocked EP). So, they did a do over and instead of kicking they went for and got the TD. A 14 point turnaround.
Week 14 was the finals vs Orrville in Massillon.

That 1998 Coldwater team had a QB who went on to become a Navy SEAL, and the recipient of the True American Truck Giveaway by Rocky Ridge, featuring Herschel Walker. If anyone was at the parade for CCP19 you may have seen the entry in the parade.

I believe that year put Coldwater on the map for football and now who would have thunk 22 years later the team would be on the cusp of playing in their 13th championship game.

Even with everything against them this Sunday and it getting worse with the moving of the game, playing the seasoned defending runners up, the rain to neutralize the finesse, the Cavs are just fortunate to be playing in the finals this year after an extended absence.

Goodluck Coldwater
Goodluck New Bremen.
Goodluck MAC.

1998. Orrville.

That was Coldwater's first trip to the finals in program history. That Senior class was the first group that had all four years with Coach Reed, God Bless His Soul. Prior to 98 the best season was in 1995 losing in the semifinals. In that game, CW's QB, who was also their best defender, injured his shoulder early in the game and they had zero backup help that year. I recall after that season Coach Reed saying he would never again have his team so ill prepared at the backup QB position.

After a week ten loss to DSJ most thought Coldwater was not going to make the playoffs with the 8-2 record. The other loss was vs the pre MAC Versailles Tigerball. That was the last year of 4 teams per region.

WK12: 43-8 over Lima Bath who had, according to the Lima News, "Superman" at Linebacker.
WK13: Cincinnati Wyoming. Running back, Richard Hall, had 106 career TDs. Coming into the game Hall was the second leading rusher in yards in a season (finished with 2855) and finished one yard behind Brewer for yards rushing in a season.

That was the infamous Do Over game. At the end of the half, Wyoming was going for a FG and it was blocked. One of CWs fastest players ended up with the ball and was easily going to return it for a TD but an inadvertent whistle stopped the play. (they admitted they screwed up and blew it dead as if it was a blocked EP). So, they did a do over and instead of kicking they went for and got the TD. A 14 point turnaround.

That 1998 Coldwater team had a QB who went on to become a Navy SEAL, and the recipient of the True American Truck Giveaway by Rocky Ridge, featuring Herschel Walker. If anyone was at the parade for CCP19 you may have seen the entry in the parade.

I believe that year put Coldwater on the map for football and now who would have thunk 22 years later the team would be on the cusp of playing in their 13th championship game.

Even with everything against them this Sunday and it getting worse with the moving of the game, playing the seasoned defending runners up, the rain to neutralize the finesse, the Cavs are just fortunate to be playing in the finals this year after an extended absence.

Goodluck Coldwater
Goodluck New Bremen.
Goodluck MAC.
cool story.... sharp truck...... saw the game against Orrville that year... and also the game against wyoming..... and you are right, Reed always had a good backup at QB... ready to go....

good luck to all the MACmen.... play hard, and enjoy the experience..... just a feeling, good things will happen for both teams this weekend

I’ll help you out. Columbus department of health and Franklin county department of health issues a 6 pm stay at home mandate for the next 28 days starting at 6 pm tomorrow evening. OHSAA officials were told by both departments that they couldn’t host the games there. So how do you not move it?

Then explain why on the OHSAA site it states...
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In order to assist with Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s 10 p.m. statewide curfew order, the Ohio High School Athletic Association has adjusted the game times for the football state championship games this weekend at Fortress Obetz in Columbus. The games will now kickoff at 1:15 and 6:15 on Friday and Saturday, instead of 2:00 and 7:00 as previously announced.

Then it also says....

The OHSAA is aware that the Franklin County Department of Health has also issued an advisory beginning Friday at 6 p.m. asking residents to stay at home due to the rapid rise of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the city and county. At this time, that advisory does not affect the status of the football state championship games.

Interesting how this statement was on the OHSAA site as of yesterday ...

The OHSAA is aware that the Franklin County Department of Health has also issued an advisory beginning Friday at 6 p.m. asking residents to stay at home due to the rapid rise of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the city and county. At this time, that advisory does not affect the status of the football state championship games.

Last edited:
This is why it moved. Dictator Dewine told them that Franklin Coujty was going to a level four, which is the color of schnossberry on their list. It is in effect today. Extreme spread and you are only supposed to leave for essentials. Work told us you better have a darn good reason to be there or you will be told to leave.

I wholeheartedly believe if they did not move them yesterday then the state would have told the OHSAA sorry, not sorry, but you cannot play.

NEO had to have been the backup site all along and it makes sense as they have hosted for years.
Plus, we all know that NEO has always been the love child of the OHSAA and it wasn't going to go any where else.

I'm tired of complaining. Who cares, we have a finals to attend even of it means more travel and a beating behind the woodshed is imminent.

This is why it moved. Dictator Dewine told them that Franklin Coujty was going to a level four, which is the color of schnossberry on their list. It is in effect today. Extreme spread and you are only supposed to leave for essentials. Work told us you better have a darn good reason to be there or you will be told to leave.

I wholeheartedly believe if they did not move them yesterday then the state would have told the OHSAA sorry, not sorry, but you cannot play.

NEO had to have been the backup site all along and it makes sense as they have hosted for years.
Plus, we all know that NEO has always been the love child of the OHSAA and it wasn't going to go any where else.

I'm tired of complaining. Who cares, we have a finals to attend even of it means more travel and a beating behind the woodshed is imminent.
You had to go and mention schnossberries! Now I'm going to be thinking about them all day. Man, I could go for a schnossberry turnover or a schnossberry milkshake right now...

1998. Orrville.

Goodluck Coldwater
Goodluck New Bremen.
Goodluck MAC.
Or he just came to Massillon but that's to realistic right clown ?

Then explain why on the OHSAA site it states...
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In order to assist with Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s 10 p.m. statewide curfew order, the Ohio High School Athletic Association has adjusted the game times for the football state championship games this weekend at Fortress Obetz in Columbus. The games will now kickoff at 1:15 and 6:15 on Friday and Saturday, instead of 2:00 and 7:00 as previously announced.

Then it also says....

From what I read (and it’s right on there) they recommend a pause in extra curricular activities. No choice. “Recommend” is a nice way of saying, hey you can’t play here. What are they gonna do? Hold them there regardless? Be happy they are getting played. Maybe we can all be fortunate enough to be back to a normal season next year but tbh if this was a normal season, they’d be held in NEO anyway

Or he just came to Massillon but that's to realistic right clown ?
Kinda. You could argue it’s not recruiting when the kids dad says “what can you give me?” Of course when you actually give him something & he moves his kid then the argument goes away.

Coldwater fans, those of us up here in NE Ohio consider Zwicks transfer the penance for Orrville getting that catch called a TD in your title game.

Last edited:
From what I read (and it’s right on there) they recommend a pause in extra curricular activities. No choice. “Recommend” is a nice way of saying, hey you can’t play here. What are they gonna do? Hold them there regardless? Be happy they are getting played. Maybe we can all be fortunate enough to be back to a normal season next year but tbh if this was a normal season, they’d be held in NEO anyway
As I stated, Franklin went purple yesterday, emergency essentials only. If it doesnt get moved then one has to wonder if they would have even played at all.
Plus, who wants to play at Obetz?

As I stated, Franklin went purple yesterday, emergency essentials only. If it doesnt get moved then one has to wonder if they would have even played at all.
Plus, who wants to play at Obetz?
Agree. PBTS is WAY nicer than Obetz. I’d be glad they were relocated. I agree. If Massillon doesn’t step up to host and staff this game, I think they would have gotten canceled. Big shout out to Massillon and Hoban as well for agreeing to play them right on their home field

I suggest deleting those about the shirts.

May be 'cool' but I think brings too much arrogance to the conversation on this game. Sports have a way of humbling players, teams and fans when they get too arrogant.

This meets and surpasses that threshold.
Well i did but I guess thats a generational difference. Cause i thought it was funny.

Since this is the late game, just wondering if the Govenator will have his COVID-19 police out arresting those fans traveling home past the 10pm curfew??