D VI Regon 19 -- Four or Five 10-0 Teams??

Kirtland Fan

Just looking at the schedules for the top five teams teams in D VI Region 19 based upon average points, it appears that Mogadore, McDonald, Loudonville, Garaway and Kirtland all have a shot at going 10-0 during the regular season.

Loudonville and Garaway fans, correct me if I'm wrong, but your toughest remaining games are: Loundonville @ Bishop Ready, and Garaway @ Tuscarawas Central Catholic, both next weekend. Those are two important match-ups next weekend.

I know nothing about any of those teams except Ready, and I have to believe that Ready will be the favorite @ home.

What do the rest of you say about the other three teams?

Of likelihood of going 10-0, I'd say McDonald, Kirtland and Mogadore are near locks to finish undefeated, it'll take a big upset for one of them to lose. Garaway has a tough game this coming week but after looks like smooth sailing. Loudonville by far has the toughest road to 10-0 left, starting with Bishop Ready this coming week.

If all 5 finish undefeated, I hate to say it but I think McDonald will be the 5 seed on the road, and Kirtland may very well be the 4 seed which would just be an awful draw.

I don't think Garaway will have any trouble with TCC...Garaway by 30 in that one. I see 4 locks for 10-0....Loudonville would be the 5th, but has the toughest tests left of any of those teams.

It appears Gilmour got exposed so Loudonville shouldn't have too much trouble with them. Ready and Danville are the only challenges for them.

It's really ridiculous that the OHSAA put Loudonville in this region. Some other D-6 regions will have a regional champ that would be the 4th or 5th or 6th best team in Region 19.

Last edited:
Of likelihood of going 10-0, I'd say McDonald, Kirtland and Mogadore are near locks to finish undefeated, it'll take a big upset for one of them to lose. Garaway has a tough game this coming week but after looks like smooth sailing. Loudonville by far has the toughest road to 10-0 left, starting with Bishop Ready this coming week.

If all 5 finish undefeated, I hate to say it but I think McDonald will be the 5 seed on the road, and Kirtland may very well be the 4 seed which would just be an awful draw.

Not so fast!! McDonald just got a high quality win against Reserve, plus running the table the rest of the way, which should be enough to get McDonald in the top 4, should it not??

Not so fast!! McDonald just got a high quality win against Reserve, plus running the table the rest of the way, which should be enough to get McDonald in the top 4, should it not??

Kirtland 23.3
Loudonville 25.25
Mogadore 24.1
Garaway 24.65
McDonald 22.55
St thomas aquinas (9 wins) 22.3

Those are drew pasteurs harbin projections for all teams at 10 wins, and one at 9 from last week. McDonald will need some help to get a top 4 seed. Almost better to not get help and end up the 6 seed, putting Kirtland and Loudonville on the other side of the bracket

Kirtland 23.3
Loudonville 25.25
Mogadore 24.1
Garaway 24.65
McDonald 22.55
St thomas aquinas (9 wins) 22.3

Those are drew pasteurs harbin projections for all teams at 10 wins, and one at 9 from last week. McDonald will need some help to get a top 4 seed. Almost better to not get help and end up the 6 seed, putting Kirtland and Loudonville on the other side of the bracket

With due respect to Loudonville, I question whether they will survive against Ready especially with the game at Ready. That's why I stated that McDonald should make the top 4 if they run the table the rest of the way.

Region 19 sure is crowded at the top this year!!

With due respect to Loudonville, I question whether they will survive against Ready especially with the game at Ready. That's why I stated that McDonald should make the top 4 if they run the table the rest of the way.

Region 19 sure is crowded at the top this year!!

That would be ideal for McDonald if it happens like that, if Garaway grabbed the 1 seed, Loudonville, Mogadore and Kirtland would all be on the other side of the bracket while McDonald hosted st thomas aquinas. Imagine a first round game between Loudonville and Kirtland? Wow.

That would be ideal for McDonald if it happens like that, if Garaway grabbed the 1 seed, Loudonville, Mogadore and Kirtland would all be on the other side of the bracket while McDonald hosted st thomas aquinas. Imagine a first round game between Loudonville and Kirtland? Wow.

I can think of at least two reasons why Loudonville may not host a first round playoff game: Bishop Ready and Gilmour. Loudonville has to travel to both Ready and Gilmour. If they beat Ready and Gilmour on the opposing teams' fields, then they definitely deserve to be in the top 4 teams, points-wise.

Here is where the teams in Region 19 presently find themselves.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/region.jsp?region=19&year=2014

Other than Round 1 of the playoffs, in which seeds 1-4 get a home game, seeding doesn't give teams any particular advantage. In the playoffs, you have to win on a neutral field to advance.

In 2013, the final four teams representing each Region had the following rankings: Region 19: Kirtland (1st), Region 20: Wayne Trace (5th), Region 21: Bishop Ready (2nd) and Region 22: Mechanicsburg (4th).

Last edited:
Garaway will pound TCC, won't even be close. Plus TCC QB got tossed last night so he will be out for the game.

I know nothing about those two teams, but as a fan, I hate to see things like that. Key players being disqualified will always leave fans wondering "what if."

One of VASJ's key players had to sit for the first quarter of the VASJ v. Kirtland game, and as a fan, I was disappointed, because I had been waiting for a year to see the talented VASJ running back in action. However, as a parent, I appreciate VASJ enforcing its conduct rules strictly and sticking to its principles.

With the TCC QB, it sounds more like an unsportsmanlike conduct issue?

Without TCC to challenge Garaway, I don't see any of the remaining teams on their schedule that stand in the way of a perfect regular season.

Yep it's his own fault. Football is a game to build better men for tomorrow. And if you disrespect your boss in the real world you more than likely won't just get a 1 day suspension. Lessons learned. With that being said even with him it wouldn't be a game. So imo there shouldn't be a what if factor here

Yep it's his own fault. Football is a game to build better men for tomorrow. And if you disrespect your boss in the real world you more than likely won't just get a 1 day suspension. Lessons learned. With that being said even with him it wouldn't be a game. So imo there shouldn't be a what if factor here

I'm with you 100% on the lesson conveyed.

I'm simply stating that, selfishly, I would have liked to have seen Ross play the entire game to watch what he could do. When he was in there, I saw flashes of his talent.

Was at the Garaway/RW game and TCC/RW game. It would not matter if the QB for TCC played or not Garaway if a far better team than TCC. Garaway rolls in their final 4 games.

I have a question for the Kirtland fans . . . I do not expect you to be anything but gracious and respectful of your opponents. However, there is a lot of talk on threads about how tough this region is. Do you agree? I mean, I look at your last 9 games in the region and the scores are 49-8, 52-7, 35-7, 49-7 , 28-14, 38-37 (Ursuline . . .no longer in the region), 57-0, 49-21 and 45-7. I understand that you are a state power and are enjoying a legendary run right now and I also appreciate you have had some lopsided scores in the semifinals (2011 and 2012) and finals (2013) over the last 3 years but you have to like your chances in this region and you have to be in no hurry to see any reassignments (and you certainly cannot want Ursuline to lose the requisite number of kids to drop to D6).

Just an observation from an outsider . . . this region looks like anything but a dogfight the past 4-5 years for you and, previously, Ursuline. I mean even in 2010, you won your first two games 79-10, then lost 48-0 in the final. Again, I just am not seeing that this is a difficult region past the top team or two in the last 5 years. I know there are other ways to spin it and other ways to use these scores/this info but when one or two teams dominate, can the region be considered deep? Another way to ask, can this region be tough just because it contains the best team if that team steamrolls everyone else in it?

You played the semi and final games the last 3 years . . .do you honestly think if you had not won the region someone else from your region (either who you beat or someone else) would have won the state title or made the final if not for Kirtland?

Last edited:
Good question,, I think in the last few years, Ursuline was the only team out of our region that would have won a state title. Coldwater had a great team. Last year, in the state semi's, I think Bishop Ready would have won state title if Kirtland had not beat them. South Range had some good teams a few years ago as well.

I have a question for the Kirtland fans . . . I do not expect you to be anything but gracious and respectful of your opponents. However, there is a lot of talk on threads about how tough this region is. Do you agree? I mean, I look at your last 9 games in the region and the scores are 49-8, 52-7, 35-7, 49-7 , 28-14, 38-37 (Ursuline . . .no longer in the region), 57-0, 49-21 and 45-7. I understand that you are a state power and are enjoying a legendary run right now and I also appreciate you have had some lopsided scores in the semifinals (2011 and 2012) and finals (2013) over the last 3 years but you have to like your chances in this region and you have to be in no hurry to see any reassignments (and you certainly cannot want Ursuline to lose the requisite number of kids to drop to D6).

Just an observation from an outsider . . . this region looks like anything but a dogfight the past 4-5 years for you and, previously, Ursuline. I mean even in 2010, you won your first two games 79-10, then lost 48-0 in the final. Again, I just am not seeing that this is a difficult region past the top team or two in the last 5 years. I know there are other ways to spin it and other ways to use these scores/this info but when one or two teams dominate, can the region be considered deep? Another way to ask, can this region be tough just because it contains the best team if that team steamrolls everyone else in it?

You played the semi and final games the last 3 years . . .do you honestly think if you had not won the region someone else from your region (either who you beat or someone else) would have won the state title or made the final if not for Kirtland?

Good question.

Being completely objective, I think that Bishop Ready was the second best team last year, and I believe that Bishop Ready would have won the championship against Wayne-Trace, if BR would have beaten Kirtland.

When Kirtland was in D5, the championship always went through Ursuline. Ironically, the one year (2012) that Kirtland got the Ursuline monkey off their backs (but only after having to come back from a 24-0 halftime deficit in the regional final game against Ursuline), Kirtland ended up losing to Coldwater in the championship game 10-9.

This year, Region 19 seems to be much stronger than last year, and Kirtland has younger O and D linemen, so I'd say, aside from skill positions, Kirtland isn't quite as strong as last year. While I still believe that Kirtland is the odds on favorite, I don't think that Kirtland will steam roll through the Regional playoff games like last year. I expect a fight from the other teams in Region 19.

Outside of Region 19, I'm keeping an eye out for Bishop Ready, because they played Kirtland toughest last year.

Good question.

Being completely objective, I think that Bishop Ready was the second best team last year, and I believe that Bishop Ready would have won the championship against Wayne-Trace, if BR would have beaten Kirtland.

When Kirtland was in D5, the championship always went through Ursuline. Ironically, the one year (2012) that Kirtland got the Ursuline monkey off their backs (but only after having to come back from a 24-0 halftime deficit in the regional final game against Ursuline), Kirtland ended up losing to Coldwater in the championship game 10-9.

This year, Region 19 seems to be much stronger than last year, and Kirtland has younger O and D linemen, so I'd say, aside from skill positions, Kirtland isn't quite as strong as last year. While I still believe that Kirtland is the odds on favorite, I don't think that Kirtland will steam roll through the Regional playoff games like last year. I expect a fight from the other teams in Region 19.

Outside of Region 19, I'm keeping an eye out for Bishop Ready, because they played Kirtland toughest last year.

Completely agree. Kirtland is definitely still the favorites. Mogadore, Loudonville, McDonald, and Aquinas all seem to be significantly better than last year. One or two of these teams should be able to at the very least push Kirtland for at least 4 quarters and maybe have a chance to upset the defending champs. I still think as it stands right now Kirtland is 10-14 point favorites over anybody else in the region. It should be more interesting this year. For what it's worth calpreps has the Loudonville (1), Kirtland (2), Mogadore (5), Garaway (7), and McDonald (8) in all if division 6. If you ask me, 5 out of 8 of the top teams in the state is a pretty darn loaded region!

Completely agree. Kirtland is definitely still the favorites. Mogadore, Loudonville, McDonald, and Aquinas all seem to be significantly better than last year. One or two of these teams should be able to at the very least push Kirtland for at least 4 quarters and maybe have a chance to upset the defending champs. I still think as it stands right now Kirtland is 10-14 point favorites over anybody else in the region. It should be more interesting this year. For what it's worth calpreps has the Loudonville (1), Kirtland (2), Mogadore (5), Garaway (7), and McDonald (8) in all if division 6. If you ask me, 5 out of 8 of the top teams in the state is a pretty darn loaded region!

Wow, that's pretty impressive. It's nice to see so many teams in our Region making a statement this year.

Do any of you know anything about D6 schools outside of Region 19? Other than Bishop Ready, I know next to nothing about the other teams out there.

I know that Bishop Ready is playing Loudonville, and I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of that game. That will tell us a lot about both teams.

Last Year, Bishop Ready played Kirtland very tough in the semi-final (in fact, many, including me, thought that the game against Ready was the true championship game -- sorry Wayne Trace fans). However, I understand that last year's BR team lost a couple of their skill players and an offensive lineman to a scholarship at Virginia Tech -- (but he wasn't playing when VT beat Ohio State in the Shoe).

Wow, that's pretty impressive. It's nice to see so many teams in our Region making a statement this year.

Do any of you know anything about D6 schools outside of Region 19? Other than Bishop Ready, I know next to nothing about the other teams out there.

I know that Bishop Ready is playing Loudonville, and I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of that game. That will tell us a lot about both teams.

Last Year, Bishop Ready played Kirtland very tough in the semi-final (in fact, many, including me, thought that the game against Ready was the true championship game -- sorry Wayne Trace fans). However, I understand that last year's BR team lost a couple of their skill players and an offensive lineman to a scholarship at Virginia Tech -- (but he wasn't playing when VT beat Ohio State in the Shoe).

The schools from the MAC are always tough. You know that from your games with Coldwater. So if any of them make a run they will be tough to beat. Minster is number one in their region right now and only lost to Coldwater by 11. So they are probably pretty tough. Honestly I think the champ will come from our region. Might be any easier road than last year with Ready being a little down from last year and no dominant teams from out west.

The schools from the MAC are always tough. You know that from your games with Coldwater. So if any of them make a run they will be tough to beat. Minster is number one in their region right now and only lost to Coldwater by 11. So they are probably pretty tough. Honestly I think the champ will come from our region. Might be any easier road than last year with Ready being a little down from last year and no dominant teams from out west.

I think that I still have bruises and loose fillings from the two games that Kirtland played against Coldwater in 2011 and 2012 championship games, and I was up in the stands!! :laugh:

Seriously, Minster's only two losses this year were to Coldwater (2013 D5 champ) and Marion Local (D7 champ). In 2013, Marion Local beat Coldwater during the regular season 47-14!!! Those MAC teams are tough!

Speaking of Coldwater v. Marion Local, they are playing this Friday, and both teams are 6-0 (again). Should be a doozy.

Minster may be the team to beat outside of Region 19?

Minster and Defiance Tinora. I would be very surprised to see anyone else come out of their respective regions. And I like Ready or Fredericktown to come out of Region 21. Region 19 would most likely matchup with Region 21 in the semis just like last year. I don't think the other regions will be nearly as deep as region 19. Kirtland's stiffest competition in their quest to repeat May very well come from fellow region 19 teams.

This region is loaded, but I heard this is garaway's best football team they ever had.

And the crazy thing is that it's probably not going to be enough to make it through this region.

Mogadore probably has it's best team in 12 years and will be pushed come week 11, no matter who they play.

I never meant to insinuate that the other teams in the region were not good, I simply wanted to challenge the notion that this is THE region in Division VI based on the fact that Kirtland (and Ursuline) have had its way the last half decade. The comments by the Kirtland fans seem to support my assumption as they are saying that they do not think a team from the region not named Kirtland would have won the state championship or go through the semis over the past several years. In short, no one else in the region "left a state championship on the table" simply because they were in what is, admittedly, a very good region.

Drew Pasteur's latest computer simulations/projections just came out:

http://www.fantastic50.net/Ohio_Brackets.php

Region 19 Projections

1) Garaway (Sugarcreek) (10-0) 24.50
2) Mogadore (10-0) 24.05
3) Kirtland (10-0) 23.50
4) St Thomas Aquinas (Louisville) (9-1) 22.40
5) Loudonville (9-1) 22.35
6) Mc Donald (10-0) 22.15
7) Hillsdale (Jeromesville) (8-2) 18.40
8) Springfield (New Middletown) (7-3) 16.85

If true, that's a bit amazing that McDonald could be the 6th seed with an undefeated record. But as you can see, the spread between 4-6 is razor thin and could certainly turn out differently.

Also, I think Loudonville could finish 10-0 rather than 9-1, which would move them up into the top 4 somewhere.

Also, the result of the Aquinas vs. VASJ game in week 9 will be huge. Aquinas obviously will drop down with a loss in that game. VASJ will likely be in if they win that one and finish 8-2. Pasteur projects the following point totals for STA and VASJ if they both finish 8-2:

STA - 19.25
VASJ - 19.21

So, that would still put them both in the playoffs ahead of Hillsdale and Springfield. STA and VASJ are likely out with 7-3 records (for either or both of them).