D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
He also played every snap at DE! Contributed big time in stopping hester.
He’s talking about #24 not the WR. And yes, the WR was invited to a Kentucky game this year so I would consider visiting an SEC school D1 interest.

Now, the fact that we never really threw a jump ball to him when he had a 5’9” corner covering him is a different discussion entirely.

I'm convinced that any school that fully utilizes open enrollment will beat a closed enrollment school 95% of the time. They draw more athletes, it's that simple. I'm speaking of the volume vs attrition sports, mainly football.
I think some of that depends on the talent pool you have to draw from. It’s advantageous for all OE schools but when you a pulling from Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, etc it’s different than the Ohio Valley and other areas. More talent available in larger areas.

I don't know the facts but it sounds like this academy has opened a whole new can of worms. I heard some of the Steubenville/Wyoming game on the radio. It sounds like there were two evenly matched teams that played their hearts out. Steubenville will be back, no doubt about that.

You had 1 underclassman contribute (RB). I read on here about the WR who was garnering “interest” from D1 & don’t think he had 1 catch. So, I guess running off and on the field is your definition of contributing, then yes we can guess you have all guys back who aren’t seniors.

We can probably go back to your yearly thread posts and see the same quotes. Everyone back next year,
barring injury…..
Pretty sure blocking and tackling count as contributions, right? Pretty sure special teams mean a little too.

We DO Not have everyone back next year but the cupboards aren’t bare either. By my count we are losing about 6 starters on both sides of the ball. We have several sophomores and juniors who saw a lot of playing time. We will be back!

I'm convinced that any school that fully utilizes open enrollment will beat a closed enrollment school 95% of the time. They draw more athletes, it's that simple. I'm speaking of the volume vs attrition sports, mainly football.
This is far from the truth

Let me get this straight.. Glenville is Literally sending non-athletes to an academy under the ruse of helping kids to drive down Glenville enrollment to be elite in sports???
I don't know if that was Ted Ginn's original intent. Because I don't know him. But the result of what he did is this: Kids that go to the Ginn academy can play football elsewhere because the Ginn academy does not offer football. Of course, most of the "good players" from the Ginn Academy go to Glenville for football. The kicker is this; the kids that go to the Academy are not counted towards Glenvilles enrollment because they "technically" don't attend Glenville school. Although they play football for Glenville! It's a legal and unfair loophole that allows what is basically a D-1 or D-2 school to play in Division 4. It's crazy!

Yes, but Warren is a economical depressed city where as, Hudson is a well to do growing district. There are a few, Avon, Jackson,Hudson, ect. That have done well. But look how Hoban handled Hudson. They can do well against decaying cities but are no match for the schools that draw from larger talent pools. That's not to say that Warren won't have the occasional great team, but you have to admit that's few and far between.

Yes, but Warren is a economical depressed city where as, Hudson is a well to do growing district. There are a few, Avon, Jackson,Hudson, ect. That have done well. But look how Hoban handled Hudson. They can do well against decaying cities but are no match for the schools that draw from larger talent pools. That's not to say that Warren won't have the occasional great team, but you have to admit that's few and far between.
Yes, very true, but I guess the situation hits home for me, since I'm a Harding fan, so I use that example, but Harding just is not benefiting from open enrollment. In fact WGH isn't even keeping the city kids, some are going to Warren JFK.

That's very unfortunate. Warren is a has a proud history of excellence. Unfortunately it's happening all over. Canton is one that comes to mind. I think if you get the right person or coach, they can still turn it around and keep some of those kids that are leaving and start drawing others in. It takes a total recreation of the culture. I've seen it being a Massillon fan. But even if you revive your system it's still difficult to compete with the private machines.

I don't know if that was Ted Ginn's original intent. Because I don't know him. But the result of what he did is this: Kids that go to the Ginn academy can play football elsewhere because the Ginn academy does not offer football. Of course, most of the "good players" from the Ginn Academy go to Glenville for football. The kicker is this; the kids that go to the Academy are not counted towards Glenvilles enrollment because they "technically" don't attend Glenville school. Although they play football for Glenville! It's a legal and unfair loophole that allows what is basically a D-1 or D-2 school to play in Division 4. It's crazy!
No I believe they are a public charter school. And I think the rule is the kids have to play at the home school if the charter doesn't offer sports. That is the rule to my knowledge.

No I believe they are a public charter school. And I think the rule is the kids have to play at the home school if the charter doesn't offer sports. That is the rule to my knowledge.
You may want to check that. There are nearly 100's of threads with complaints about the Ginn Academy, and how they cirvumvent the system and be able to be D-4.

Of course, most of the "good players" from the Ginn Academy go to Glenville for football. The kicker is this; the kids that go to the Academy are not counted towards Glenvilles enrollment because they "technically" don't attend Glenville school. Although they play football for Glenville! It's a legal and unfair loophole that allows what is basically a D-1 or D-2 school to play in Division 4. It's crazy!
If Glenville does indeed roll Wyoming, a very good if not great D4 program, then this model needs to be squashed and reworked. For teams like Stubenville and Wyoming to do everything the right way and work their asses to a state title run, only to be met by a football factory in the final is just wrong. I have not seen Glenville play, but everything I am reading says they are going to roll Wyoming and that would be a shame because Wyoming is a legit D4 team..

Yes! But not the Big Red! ROFL!
What makes you think I'm a steubenville fan? I don't care that Steubenville lost, so I can laugh with you. I never once said Steubenville would win, hust said they would score on that stellar D, lol, and they did. Glenville gonna embarass Wyoming,as they would have to Steubenville to.

What makes you think I'm a steubenville fan? I don't care that Steubenville lost, so I can laugh with you. I never once said Steubenville would win, hust said they would score on that stellar D, lol, and they did. Glenville gonna embarass Wyoming,as they would have to Steubenville to.
So you're just a professional troll then. Got it! And you didn't say they would just score. You specifically said they would score 4 touchdowns! They didn't. You were wrong. Now pay 4GX his money. (BTW nobody is expecting any D-4 school to beat Glenville) Myself included.

So Wyoming is a closed enrollment school. I'm really rooting for you guys. But you are facing a machine.
Wyoming is a public school with no open enrollment. I would love to know how many kids from Wyoming end up going to GCL schools. And to someone else's point, Wyoming is a great school district academically.

You going to man up and pay your bet?

Embarrass them like they embarrassed Liberty, Van Wert and Avon?

Wyoming is a public school with no open enrollment. I would love to know how many kids from Wyoming end up going to GCL schools. And to someone else's point, Wyoming is a great school district academically.
A very small amount of kids do leave the district to attend a GCL school but they’re usually not football players and do so for other sports or for religious reasons. Wyoming’s strong football tradition and track record of sending players to D1 NCAA programs keeps kids from leaving for GCL schools.