D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
Still can't over the weak schedule. Stats against lesser competitive teams are tough to gage. Distance and unfamiliarity adds to the intrigue,
Ultimately, I feel that Wyoming doesn't have a plan B if things go sideways, and the Wyoming "D" is good, but historic, that is still yet to be determine.
Just a question: In looking at Steubenvilles schedule who is super tough or super good in your opinion? I don't see any household names that Steubenville has played. But admittedly, I don't know anything about their opponents. Who have they played that you believe is good?

Just a question: In looking at Steubenvilles schedule who is super tough or super good in your opinion? I don't see any household names that Steubenville has played. But admittedly, I don't know anything about their opponents. Who have they played that you believe is good?
According to Drew Pasteur, who considers the entire State and not just locally...

Still can't over the weak schedule. Stats against lesser competitive teams are tough to gage. Distance and unfamiliarity adds to the intrigue,
Ultimately, I feel that Wyoming doesn't have a plan B if things go sideways, and the Wyoming "D" is good, but historic, that is still yet to be determine.
wyoming is in a small-school conference. it comports with its need to play a boys' and girls' schedule for multiple sports, including lax, tennis, golf, etc.; and the need to cap travel costs and travel time so students can do schoolwork. it has freedom to schedule 3 non-conference games, many years in advance. this year, wyo scheduled harrison (d2), taft (d4), and aiken (d2). that is a reasonable schedule, and the conference is what it is.

It is good… Rock Creek was a great team. Their record doesn’t show because they play top teams but that was an outstanding team.

The schedule sets up so they face a little bit of everything through out the season.

They’ve faced multiple D1 athletes in many of there games. The wow factor of playing a kid like Hester won’t be there. These kids have seen many D1 offensive players all season long.

I expect him to play great but they won’t be bothered about his accolades coming into the game.

It is good… Rock Creek was a great team. Their record doesn’t show because they play top teams but that was an outstanding team.

The schedule sets up so they face a little bit of everything through out the season.

They’ve faced multiple D1 athletes in many of there games. The wow factor of playing a kid like Hester won’t be there. These kids have seen many D1 offensive players all season long.

I expect him to play great but they won’t be bothered about his accolades coming into the game.
Understood. Thanks.

Understood. Thanks

"Ultimately, I feel that Wyoming doesn't have a plan B if things go sideways"... So what are you basing this statement on? Have you seen Wyoming play first hand? Have you talked to their opponents to get a better idea on how to attack them? Do you know something everybody else doesn't?

"Ultimately, I feel that Wyoming doesn't have a plan B if things go sideways"... So what are you basing this statement on? Have you seen Wyoming play first hand? Have you talked to their opponents to get a better idea on how to attack them? Do you know something everybody else doesn't?
This guy has made multiple statements like that. He is trying to convince himself of the outcome before the game is played. He probably won’t show up here if things don’t go the way he is dreaming.

This guy has made multiple statements like that. He is trying to convince himself of the outcome before the game is played. He probably won’t show up here if things don’t go the way he is dreaming.
Wrong.
I know the importance of playing a good schedule, B/C for years, I watched countless undefeated BR teams play a bunch sacrificial lambs in the regular season only to get curb stomped by battle tested Mooney teams.

I have an opinion, based on data and I will use that to guide my view point on the game. I place a huge value on competition, not your record...and I see Wyoming regular season schedule being similar or even less than Big Red going undefeated in the OVAC and quite frankly, I won't put much stock into that as well.

Last edited:
Wrong.
I know the importance of playing a good schedule, B/C for years, I watched countless undefeated BR teams play a bunch sacrificial lambs in the regular season only to get curb stomped by battle tested Mooney teams.

I have an opinion, based on data and I will use that to guide my view point on the game. I place a huge value on competition, not your record...and I see Wyoming regular season schedule being similar or even less than Big Red going undefeated in the OVAC and quite frankly, I won't put much stock into that as well.
“I feel like Wyoming doesn’t have a Plan B”. Tell us how you developed that “feeling”.

Wrong.

You are wasting your talents here on Yappi. You should broaden your scope and see if any colleges or the NFL teams are hiring. They could put you expertise to work.

wyoming is in a small-school conference. it comports with its need to play a boys' and girls' schedule for multiple sports, including lax, tennis, golf, etc.; and the need to cap travel costs and travel time so students can do schoolwork. it has freedom to schedule 3 non-conference games, many years in advance. this year, wyo scheduled harrison (d2), taft (d4), and aiken (d2). that is a reasonable schedule, and the conference is what it is.
Harrison and Aiken, while they are D2, were a combined 2-17. Taft is the only good team they played out of conference.

“I feel like Wyoming doesn’t have a Plan B”. Tell us how you developed that “feeling”.
It’s a good question. I think when you essentially put the team on the back of 1 skill player, what will Wyoming do if we bottle up Hester. Looking at the stats he’s carried it 330 times and the next guy 25 carries. The QB doesn’t seem like a run threat with an average of 2 Carrie’s a game. Wyoming completes 5 passes per game for about 50 yards a game. Now bottling up Hester hasn’t happened yet…….what will Wyoming do if he is bottled up or god forbid the young kid gets hurt? Seems like a fair question. On a side not I did some reading on that kid and the picture I get is that off the field is a gentleman, very intelligent and a born leader. People forget it is not unusual in high school football where one single player is the difference between a great team and a mediocre team. So asking what would plan B be if……..

Wyoming is the best team in region 16. They were picked to win the region at the beginning of the year and they followed through with it as expected. However, I do feel that region 16 was down this year compared to others.
Many picked Steuby and Hartley in region 15 and Steuby held up their end of the deal. I also dont think the rest of region 15 was very good.
Wyoming does have plan B if Hester isn’t working. They will run him some more, only their coaches are good enough to make blocking adjustments. If they have to get away from Hester they will be in big trouble. The rest of their team isn’t good enough to deal with Steuby without Hester carrying the load. Their defense is really good though. They will not let you get outside. Best bet is to run right at them in the running game and then hit a few play action passes. I think this is what Steuby does well. Should be a great game. Go SW ohio!

Harrison and Aiken, while they are D2, were a combined 2-17. Taft is the only good team they played out of conference.
While Harrison and Aiken were not very good Division II teams this year, Harrison (in many recent years) has been decent, even bordering on pretty good-- I'd bet that Wyoming scheduled Harrison thinking Harrison would be better than they showed this year... moreover, it is a matchup of Division IV (Wyoming) versus Division II (Harrison, Aiken)-- just last season, Coldwater (Division V) came down to Cincinnati to play a weak Division I team (Oak Hills)-- the step up in class is designed to offer the smaller school increased degree of difficulty.

It’s a good question. I think when you essentially put the team on the back of 1 skill player, what will Wyoming do if we bottle up Hester. Looking at the stats he’s carried it 330 times and the next guy 25 carries. The QB doesn’t seem like a run threat with an average of 2 Carrie’s a game. Wyoming completes 5 passes per game for about 50 yards a game. Now bottling up Hester hasn’t happened yet…….what will Wyoming do if he is bottled up or god forbid the young kid gets hurt? Seems like a fair question. On a side not I did some reading on that kid and the picture I get is that off the field is a gentleman, very intelligent and a born leader. People forget it is not unusual in high school football where one single player is the difference between a great team and a mediocre team. So asking what would plan B be if……..
I think that's a fair question. What I will tell you is that Wyoming has 2 capable back up running backs who do quite well when inserted in the game. Of course, when you have a Ohio Mr. Football candidate reps at running back can be hard to come by. They both play every game and do just fine. Because Wyoming has had quite a few commanding leads, they both have ample game experience. So if Hester couldn't go, Wyoming would be just fine. Because they have already groomed their "back up" plan.

I think that's a fair question. What I will tell you is that Wyoming has 2 capable back up running backs who do quite well when inserted in the game. Of course, when you have an Ohio Mr. Football candidate reps at running back can be hard to come by. They both play every game and do just fine. Because Wyoming has had quite a few commanding leads, they both have ample game experience. So if Hester couldn't go, Wyoming would be just fine. Because they have already groomed their "back up" plan.
25 touches in 14 games is less than a carry per game. I also watched the Massie game and Wyoming had Hester and the rest of the starters in the entire game. Even to take a knee. Have they developed any depth?

While Harrison and Aiken were not very good Division II teams this year, Harrison (in many recent years) has been decent, even bordering on pretty good-- I'd bet that Wyoming scheduled Harrison thinking Harrison would be better than they showed this year... moreover, it is a matchup of Division IV (Wyoming) versus Division II (Harrison, Aiken)-- just last season, Coldwater (Division V) came down to Cincinnati to play a weak Division I team (Oak Hills)-- the step up in class is designed to offer the smaller school increased degree of difficulty.
Big Red’s Regular Season Schedule Includes:

Louisville - DIII but not very good = W
New Philadelphia - DIII playoff team = W
Archbishop Carroll - #1 Ath recruit in the country and D.C champions = W
University Prep - Poop = W
Dover - DII playoff team = W
Linsley - WV prep school not eligible to play in playoffs because they have grown men playing high school football and would have won A= L
Wheeling Park - 80-90 player roster and WV AAA Big school playoff team = W
Taylor Allderdice = Poop
Rock Creek Christian - Maryland prep school who played Played St. Ed’s and Dematha, MD = L

Big Red might not win this game but they WILL NOT be intimidated by Wyoming. RRR!

25 touches in 14 games is less than a carry per game. I also watched the Massie game and Wyoming had Hester and the rest of the starters in the entire game. Even to take a knee. Have they developed any depth?
Not sure how only 25 touches is even possible since Hester only played start to finish in 3 of the first 10 regular season games. (He never played most 4th quarters). Not saying you're wrong, but where are you getting your information? And nobody was going to come out of the Massie game. Not after Massie had put a running clock on Wyoming the prior year. I'm not on the coaching staff, but my guess is that since that had never happened to a Wyoming team, they wanted to return the favor. Which they did. Im sure that was personal. Again, they have 2 other running backs that both have game experience.

TV

ive been happy with all of them since Tressel.
Hell, I'll go one step back and say "since Cooper'- Tressel at least "re-recognized" the importance of the Michigan game, stated as such at his hiring speech at the OSU basketball game, and proceeded to go 8-1 vs the TUN. (Cooper went 2-10-1). Yep, Tress was OK in my book too

According to today's Herald Star, Hester has 2967 yds with 46 TDs. The rest of the team has 885 and 12 TDs.

Not sure how only 25 touches is even possible since Hester only played start to finish in 3 of the first 10 regular season games. (He never played most 4th quarters). Not saying you're wrong, but where are you getting your information? And nobody was going to come out of the Massie game. Not after Massie had put a running clock on Wyoming the prior year. I'm not on the coaching staff, but my guess is that since that had never happened to a Wyoming team, they wanted to return the favor. Which they did. Im sure that was personal. Again, they have 2 other running backs that both have game experience.
You are correct on my stat error (went back and looked again). So you have Hester who we all know about. Not sure about the depth chart but here are the others with rushing stats per the CHL stat website (not including qb or dude with 2 rushes which I would assume were on reverses). I would also assume Hancock is a starter but included him as well.

Hancock: 25 - 433
Gray: 25 - 197
Addo: 25 - 153

75 rushes / 14 games = 5.36 rushes per game

...LOL, and this thread has kinda spiraled into a back n forth between most folks who ain't seen one or both teams even play. It's the final 4. Both teams are legit. Personally, I had 3 teams circled who I wanted to see play, in some order, in the final- Glenville, Big Red and Wyoming. This game, along with Hoban/Massillon, are two games I'll be streaming on OHSAA tomorrow.

...tradition-rich teams, pick-em games...what more could we ask for???

...LOL, and this thread has kinda spiraled into a back n forth between most folks who ain't seen one or both teams even play. It's the final 4. Both teams are legit. Personally, I had 3 teams circled who I wanted to see play, in some order, in the final- Glenville, Big Red and Wyoming. This game, along with Hoban/Massillon, are two games I'll be streaming on OHSAA tomorrow.

Steubenville/Wyoming is on Saturday night

I beg the differ. This thread is filled with great analysis and comments by both fan bases. I think there is a lot of respect for both teams. You have a couple outliers that throw some shade but overall this is a good thread. One day left until game day and hopefully it stays that way!

But, it has happen against Taft...Hester was bottled up for most of the night and the result was a 7 to 0 win. Plan B. Give it to Hester and hope your defense is for real.