D IV State Semi-Final: Jefferson Area (11-3) vs Glenville (13-0) @ Perry Perry. “Hoosiers”. In real life.

Who wins?

• Glenville by 17+

Votes: 89 74.2%
  • Glenville by 8-16

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Glenville by 1-7

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Jefferson Area by 1-7

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Jefferson Area by 8-16

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jefferson Area by 17+

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
First off it's not like the wild wild West - you cannot just attend a school because you want to. You have to live in the District. Many of these inner city families do move around a bit for various reasons. Some may be for athletic reasons - but many are not unfortunately. All parents want what is best for the child. If sending a kid to go live with a relative provides a chance to leave one district and go to another like Glenville - so be it. People can say what they want about Ginn as a coach - but they cannot question what he does for those kids. Is he Tiger Laverde or Coach Kyle - no. He also does not have a major weapon that almost every school he plays against has - a kicker. Glenville has NEVER had a kicker. While schools like Iggy and Ed's can score at least 3 when they cross the 40 - Glenville never has. They are constantly going for it on 4th down and they go for 2 a lot - because they have to. Ginn very well might have 3 or 4 D1 state championships if he had a kicking game. He has lost a lot of close games over the years because of it. Kids transfer more then they ever have nowadays - its happening everywhere not just Glenville.
But that's the question I'm asking. By no means in my doubting Chuck Kyle but what makes you think that coach Kyle is way better than Ted Ginn when Cleveland St Ignatius is getting the best of the best 9 times out of 10. Again like I said bro I'm just generally trying to have a conversation so I don't want nobody to think that I'm on some BS but I would have loved to have seen Chuck Kyle at a public school where each year you might not have the best you got to roll with the punches of what you have walking your hallways. Like I said I'm going to use football coach and I would love to meet Chuck Kyle to pick his brain just to get some advice from him so I don't want nobody to think I'm attacking him because I'm not I just honestly want to know like and most of you guys opinions what separates them to when one coach is dealing with a lot of stuff that's not even pertaining to football and I'm not saying that the kids that go to parochial schools don't have it hard because some of them do

Yeah, I guess I’d prefer Wyoming. Heck, I’d love to see Jefferson win, but I just think that’s remotely possible. I’ll settle for Wyoming. I don’t even dislike Glenville. I rooted for them when they were D1. But in D4, it’s almost unfair.
You folks are sure discounting Steubenville.

First off it's not like the wild wild West - you cannot just attend a school because you want to. You have to live in the District. Many of these inner city families do move around a bit for various reasons. Some may be for athletic reasons - but many are not unfortunately. All parents want what is best for the child. If sending a kid to go live with a relative provides a chance to leave one district and go to another like Glenville - so be it. People can say what they want about Ginn as a coach - but they cannot question what he does for those kids. Is he Tiger Laverde or Coach Kyle - no. He also does not have a major weapon that almost every school he plays against has - a kicker. Glenville has NEVER had a kicker. While schools like Iggy and Ed's can score at least 3 when they cross the 40 - Glenville never has. They are constantly going for it on 4th down and they go for 2 a lot - because they have to. Ginn very well might have 3 or 4 D1 state championships if he had a kicking game. He has lost a lot of close games over the years because of it. Kids transfer more then they ever have nowadays - its happening everywhere not just Glenville.
There is such a thing as “developing” a kicker is t there?

He was ridiculous
I remember a great West Branch QB in 1994. Kyle something? He basically took the entire team on his shoulders and lead a fantastic comeback in the semi finals to beat my Mighty Big Red coming back from a 21-0 deficit. Many Steubenville fans consider that the most painful loss out of our 104 playoff games. That team
Was the best in Big Red history to not win a state title. Quite a few people considered Big Red to be the best team in Ohio after crushing Boardman by 35 points who beat state champion St. Iggy the week before. That WB QB was a stud!

5 years ago matters in 2022 in what way???
5 years ago matters in 2022 in what way???
That is when the games with Orrville and Licking Valley were scheduled. Trust me as a West Holmes alumni I wish we had a better non conference game. Last year week 1 we had Bishop Watterson when Triway canceled. It would be a great addition if that could be yearly.

But that's the question I'm asking. By no means in my doubting Chuck Kyle but what makes you think that coach Kyle is way better than Ted Ginn when Cleveland St Ignatius is getting the best of the best 9 times out of 10. Again like I said bro I'm just generally trying to have a conversation so I don't want nobody to think that I'm on some BS but I would have loved to have seen Chuck Kyle at a public school where each year you might not have the best you got to roll with the punches of what you have walking your hallways. Like I said I'm going to use football coach and I would love to meet Chuck Kyle to pick his brain just to get some advice from him so I don't want nobody to think I'm attacking him because I'm not I just honestly want to know like and most of you guys opinions what separates them to when one coach is dealing with a lot of stuff that's not even pertaining to football and I'm not saying that the kids that go to parochial schools don't have it hard because some of them do
I think Kyle would have been a great coach anywhere. But I don’t think he would have had the same success at even the best public school programs. Iggy was the modern day Moeller under Gerry Faust. Best players from a very wide radius, great community support and funding from some wealthy grads. They were both dynasties and dominated for a long time. Personally, I don’t think we’ll see that kind of long term domination in Ohio ever again.

I think there was still about 2:30 left when they went for two. That's what made it odd to me. It wasn't like "we get this and it's over." Glenville could have definitely scored if they did get it.

That said, the play worked. Kid dropped it. Feel terrible for him.

I think there was still about 2:30 left when they went for two. That's what made it odd to me. It wasn't like "we get this and it's over." Glenville could have definitely scored if they did get it.

That said, the play worked. Kid dropped it. Feel terrible for him.
I think the mindset from VW was get the 2 point and there was a little over 2 minutes left. Put Glenville in a position based on the kickoff to have to throw because Glenville had no timeouts left so a couple runs wasn’t going to cut it unless #7 broke one which he could have and you could play prevent if they were going to throw it.

I think the mindset from VW was get the 2 point and there was a little over 2 minutes left. Put Glenville in a position based on the kickoff to have to throw because Glenville had no timeouts left so a couple runs wasn’t going to cut it unless #7 broke one which he could have and you could play prevent if they were going to throw it.
Oh, for sure. But, Glenville's athletes had given VW some issues throughout the game. So, they definitely would have had a credible chance to go 70 yards in 2:30 if they had to. I dunno.

VW is just a tough team. They hung in there against WH when it looked like WH was going to take control and they hung in against Glenville.

Anyway, back to this week's game.

Oh, for sure. But, Glenville's athletes had given VW some issues throughout the game. So, they definitely would have had a credible chance to go 70 yards in 2:30 if they had to. I dunno.

VW is just a tough team. They hung in there against WH when it looked like WH was going to take control and they hung in against Glenville.

It was 2:01 left in the game after the dropped 2 pt conversion. Big difference than 2:30, IMO. That’s a long time for n football.

Do you think wb might have been a better matchup versus glenville with their ability to score with passing game. I will interested to see how Jefferson tries to score this weekend. I would have to believe they can’t just line up and try to run against a team this big and athletic.

I remember a great West Branch QB in 1994. Kyle something? He basically took the entire team on his shoulders and lead a fantastic comeback in the semi finals to beat my Mighty Big Red coming back from a 21-0 deficit. Many Steubenville fans consider that the most painful loss out of our 104 playoff games. That team
Was the best in Big Red history to not win a state title. Quite a few people considered Big Red to be the best team in Ohio after crushing Boardman by 35 points who beat state champion St. Iggy the week before. That WB QB was a stud!
Jeff Morris was the quarterback. They did have a tremendous receiver named Kyle Doak. It was a magical year for WB that year and that game is etched into my memory forever. I believe they were just destined to win that year. Steubenville’s Nate Johnson was that guy you don’t want to ever run into on a football field. He was something else on both sides of the ball. Steubenville had a complete team that year but everything fell into place and WB somehow won that game. I think a might of shed a couple tears that night. The kids around us looked at me kind of in amazement. They were young and didn’t realize they were witnessing history. I knew little rural schools like WB rarely win titles and we had just put ourselves into the championship.

Glenville did go down and score anyway, even with the lead. Then up 40-33, Glenville went for 2, and got it. Make it 42-33, to put the game away.

They did, but they started at the 50 and VW was selling out trying to stop the run. Starting at the 30 vs prevent would have been different. Glenville may have stilled scored, though.

I think you don’t get that Van Wert, West Holmes and maybe Perkins beats Wyoming, Jefferson Area, and Steubenville. It’s a shame that the best teams in Ohio happened to be in the same region.
I think you don't get that WE don't get why you have any special insight to KNOW that Van Wert, West Holmes, and Perkins (3 schools that, between them, have FEWER state football championships than BOTH Wyoming and Steubenville have by themselves) are absolute slam dunks to beat Wyoming, Steubenville, and Jefferson Area this year...

Wyoming and Steubenville are two of the top five All-Time highest winning percentage football teams in the entire history of Ohio HS football-- why are you so cock-sure that NEITHER of them could beat ANY of Van Wert, West Holmes or Perkins?

I think you don't get that WE don't get why you have any special insight to KNOW that Van Wert, West Holmes, and Perkins (3 schools that, between them, have FEWER state football championships than BOTH Wyoming and Steubenville have by themselves) are absolute slam dunks to beat Wyoming, Steubenville, and Jefferson Area this year...

Wyoming and Steubenville are two of the top five All-Time highest winning percentage football teams in the entire history of Ohio HS football-- why are you so cock-sure that NEITHER of them could beat ANY of Van Wert, West Holmes or Perkins?

When Glenville running clocks the state title game after fantastic Van Wert-Perkins, Van Wert-West Holmes and Van Wert-Glenville games I think we will all have the special insight and KNOW... State title game and Semifinals all took place during the Region 14 tourney... Unless Glenville just melts down these next two weeks it is over...

-Their enrollment says they're D4, bigot. You got a problem with that? Tough shrimp!!

-I don't care if Reese is from Pittsburgh, Toronto, or Tel Aviv, or Shanghai! He's with Glenville NOW. That's all that matters.

-Glenville does not have attendance boundaries. So what? Neither do Iggy, Eds, Hoban, St. V, Bennie, St. Joe's, Walsh, etc. Any student from any community can attend Glenville if they wish, including student-athletes. You got a problem with that as well? Tough shrimp!

-Does the Euclid City School District OWN the kids that live in their district or something? If so, then that's news to those kids and their parents/guardians. And, by the way, in case you didn't know, slavery is illegal. It has been ever since 1865 (13th Amendment to the Constitution). In other words, kids from Euclid and any other community are welcome to attend Glenville High if they wish. Go cry some more.
Just GOTTA LOVE the "Tough shrimp!" rejoinder-- first time I've heard that one-- I think I'll use that one, in the future... what's the origin of that phrase, anyway-- something from the fishing community?

I really hope this is a great game. S/O to both team's for making it this far. But I do have a question? I already know somebody is going to make this something that is not but I generally want to ask. Why is it always "oh they recruit from all over Cleveland" or Ted Ginn can't coach X/O's but some praise Chuck Kyle for doing the same thing Ginn is doing? I understand teams like Cleveland St. Ignatius have a rich championship tradition but don't you think it's a little easier coaching a rich parochial School compared to coaching at a inner city school on the east side of Cleveland? Like I said I'm not trying to start no bull but I just want to generally know what somebody else's perspective is.
Isn't St. Ignatius an "inner city school" too-- on the South Central side of Cleveland? (Kinda like Compton is in LA???)

When Glenville running clocks the state title game after fantastic Van Wert-Perkins, Van Wert-West Holmes and Van Wert-Glenville games I think we will all have the special insight and KNOW... State title game and Semifinals all took place during the Region 14 tourney... Unless Glenville just melts down these next two weeks it is over...
Care to put a little wager on whether "Glenville running clocks the state title game"-- right now? Wyoming (which has a very tough Steubenville team to get past, before it can even consider facing Glenville or Jefferson Area) has already faced an "inner city school" that can (and does) recruit players from all over a large city of similar size to Cleveland-- a team with six Division I (Big Ten) recruits on the team... Wyoming beat that team (TWICE), without yielding a single point-- I think Wyoming would find a way to "stay on the field" with Glenville...

I also remember when Glenville was at their peak (in Ohio Division I-- back in the days when Ginn's son was playing for his dad on the team)-- they came into Cincinnati to face St. X with a roster of college Division I recruits-- an enormous offensive line (every single lineman for Glenville that day looked to be north of 300 pounds); big, fast LBs; lean, fast DBs; and a QB, RB, and WRs who could ALL run like deer-- and St. X literally kicked the crap out of them from the opening whistle-- it was NOT about superior athleticism-- it was ALL about superior execution-- X was inferior athletically at pretty much every position-- but it did NOT matter-- X dominated them from the opening whistle-- the final was 27-12-- and THIS Glenville team is a far cry from THAT Glenville team... I'm not saying Wyoming WILL win a (possible) match-up-- I'm saying that you are foolish to presume that Wyoming won't be competitive in such a matchup.

Damn that’s a cocky statement lol. No doubt van wert is good, but you lost to glenville who had 5 tos , 11 penalties, and crappy weather I’m sure played into the final score. Every week and matchup is different in high school football. Glenville has been the favorite to win it all season.

Jefferson is a good story for sure this year, think the Poland win in the regular season must have given these kids some sort of confidence that really spurred them on. Granted Poland was down this year, but south range, struthers, Poland have been putting a beating on Jefferson for years. That being said, these kids will leave it on the field against glenville, but not sure if even an ne8 all star team wouldn’t be an underdog going into this game. Does another d4 team in Ohio even have a player with an Osu offer, let alone multiple ones. Good luck falcons, you’ve already made the community proud.
Taft does-- and five more Division I college recruits besides him-- and Wyoming beat them (TWICE).

Understand the point you're trying to make, but the flip side to the argument is the structure for a kid coming up through the feeder schools into Iggy is "slightly" different than the kids that end up at Glenville. One can focus on development from a young age, the other is simply trying to get kids to come to the athletic fields to give them a future.

Not to mention last I knew none of the Cleveland Metro schools offered a soccer program. ; )
You could start training a kicker, as a freshman, the day he arrives at your school-- and have at least a serviceable kicker, by the time that kid is a junior-- you just have to devote resources to it... Gerry Faust did that with Moeller (back in the 1960's-- when MOST teams still featured an erratic, straight-on toe-kicker, with a square-toed kicking shoe-- like George Blanda)-- and it was an immediate advantage for Moeller in those days-- and all Moeller had to do to get it was-- PUT SOME COACH IN CHARGE OF DEVELOPING A KICKER!!! Ginn/Glenville's failure to do that, at ANY time in the last ~25 years is an indictment of his coaching competency... you don't NEED a soccer team, to develop a good soccer-style football placekicker!