D IV State Championship: Lake Catholic (8-2) vs. Van Wert (10-1) — Sunday at 12:00pm

Who wins?

• Van Wert

Votes: 57 58.2%
  • Lake Catholic

Votes: 41 41.8%

• Total voters
Sorry to hear about Park. Condolences to his family.

However, he for many many years and on many different forms spewed his hatred and distaste in regards to Lake Catholic. Made many false innuendo’s and started many rumors. He had one agenda and one agenda only when coming on these forums. Find it hard to believe that guy was any different in real person. His hatred for Lake was a sickness.

Was never quite sure what Park's real trip was all about. I think his Benny hatred was based on the fact that his beloved Cathedral Latin had to close while Benedictine still continued to be open to his last breath. He was never able to reconcile the fact that those old CL guys had to sell their souls to the SND's to get second billing on the name and so they could have a place to hang their big Lion picture. Never got the hate for Lake Catholic unless it had to do with pushing some buttons on the cleveland.com forum.

Have Van Wert 35-21 in this one. Watched them play and can say they have good discipline on defense and it seems like the QB can do anything he wants to. I like their athletes against anyone in the defensive backfield. The key to stopping van wert is containing their QB and having the athletes down field to stop their receivers. I've watched zones and spies get torched by van wert. It would be fun trying to stop them. Lake Catholic looks like they have gained steam since CVCA. I can't doubt they will be good. I have them leading by half time but Van Wert comes through in second half. This is good football- wish could watch live

I always get a bit nervous when WBL teams go up against private schools. Wapak has taken on Kettering Archbishop Alter and Bishop Fenwick, Ottawa-Glandorf has had several match-ups with Bishop Hartley, and Kenton has gone up against Alter in some of their runs too. I'm really rooting for the Cougars of Van Wert to bring this one home for the WBL.

With that said, the story around Lake Catholic and their postseason run is also a fantastic story. I hope for a good, clean, competitive game between these two.

Was never quite sure what Park's real trip was all about. I think his Benny hatred was based on the fact that his beloved Cathedral Latin had to close while Benedictine still continued to be open to his last breath. He was never able to reconcile the fact that those old CL guys had to sell their souls to the SND's to get second billing on the name and so they could have a place to hang their big Lion picture. Never got the hate for Lake Catholic unless it had to do with pushing some buttons on the cleveland.com forum.
I agree with you on the Bene thing. He was a Latin guy (I know a few) and it did sting that Latin closed down while other urban schools (Bene, CCC) managed to thrive. That said, did it make it necessary to act the way he did? For a well adjusted adult, that answer would be "no". He really punched low at times. And there were a number of people on the forum that gave it back to him as hard as he dished it out, which made for some really interesting reading. I actually felt sorry for the guy. Anyone who let a high school football game jam up their gears as he seemed to must really have struggled with life's real problems. Anyway, RIP dude.

Van Wert 34
Lake 28

Treece makes enough plays offensively running and throwing. VW defense makes a timely stop late in the game to secure the victory!

Never got the hate for Lake Catholic unless it had to do with pushing some buttons on the cleveland.com forum.
I agree with you on the Bene thing. He was a Latin guy (I know a few) and it did sting that Latin closed down while other urban schools (Bene, CCC) managed to thrive. That said, did it make it necessary to act the way he did? For a well adjusted adult, that answer would be "no". He really punched low at times. And there were a number of people on the forum that gave it back to him as hard as he dished it out, which made for some really interesting reading. I actually felt sorry for the guy. Anyone who let a high school football game jam up their gears as he seemed to must really have struggled with life's real problems. Anyway, RIP dude.
what was always weird to me was that for somebody who posted a lot on HS football forums, he didn’t actually know much about football.

Why is this game on Sunday?! Is it for pandemic reasons? Now I can't watch it live...
Not sure, but my guess is probably. With one venue, I'm sure they're going to do a full sanitation of common areas between games (locker rooms, bathrooms, press box, etc.).

While not ideal, a couple of Sunday games is probably better than having one of the games played on Thursday like they've done in years past.

I have a strange feeling that this game is going to be high scoring..

But i've been wrong before lol. Just a gut feeling.

Not sure, but my guess is probably. With one venue, I'm sure they're going to do a full sanitation of common areas between games (locker rooms, bathrooms, press box, etc.).

While not ideal, a couple of Sunday games is probably better than having one of the games played on Thursday like they've done in years past.

This.

By the way, the NY Times posted a picture of the Div I championship crowd and basically angled it to make it look like the St X students had a serious lack of social distancing. Be on the lookout for Gestapo like tactics this weekend enforcing strict social distancing rules.

I always get a bit nervous when WBL teams go up against private schools. Wapak has taken on Kettering Archbishop Alter and Bishop Fenwick, Ottawa-Glandorf has had several match-ups with Bishop Hartley, and Kenton has gone up against Alter in some of their runs too. I'm really rooting for the Cougars of Van Wert to bring this one home for the WBL.

With that said, the story around Lake Catholic and their postseason run is also a fantastic story. I hope for a good, clean, competitive game between these two.
Don't forget Kenton losing to Benedictine as well.

Don't forget Kenton losing to Benedictine as well.

Defiance lost to Walsh Jesuit and Watterson in 94 and 96. I'd include Toledo CC in 13, but that Defiance team had no business in the playoffs, much less playing Deshone Kizer. 2000 against St. Francis was a nail biter we barely escaped.

VW lost to Canton CC in that 2000 title game.

St. Marys also lost to Benedictine in 04, but that was after beating Chaminade-Julienne AND Watterson to get there.

I'm sure there's more, but those are off the top of my head.

what was always weird to me was that for somebody who posted a lot on HS football forums, he didn’t actually know much about football.
I agree, you couldn't get a response out of him on football dialog. When pressed, he would respond with a 1000 word rant. It's probably good that God called him home, I can't imagine what it would be doing to him to see Lake in a state championship game.

I'm sure you're all aware by now. The Van Wert v Lake Catholic game has been moved to Massillon.

Actually I'm happy for both teams. The State title game deserves to be played at a stadium like Paul Brown. Not that crappy one OHSAA rented out in Columbus.

Van Wert's lowest score all year has been 28, and that was last week against a team that had given up more than 14 points just once all year, and double digits twice all year.

Van Wert's lowest score all year has been 28, and that was last week against a team that had given up more than 14 points just once all year, and double digits twice all year.

Didn't you know? If it's not NE Ohio it doesn't count. Van Wert doesn't actually exist, much less have a shot.

We've been told in NW and SE Ohio we don't matter for years. Then someone comes in obviously not paying attention to the fact there's zero shot VW only scores 7?

Screw it. We'll play the forgotten underdog role. Oh well.
I see VW is an 11.5 point favorite over LC, so unfortunately you don't get to claim underdog status in this game!