D IV State Championship: Lake Catholic (8-2) vs. Van Wert (10-1) — Sunday at 12:00pm

Who wins?

• Van Wert

Votes: 57 58.2%
  • Lake Catholic

Votes: 41 41.8%

• Total voters
Treece, Johnson, and a bunch of no name kids from podunk van wert Ohio pull out the win.

Treece maybe the best three sport athlete to come out of van wert county since the 1980s. That’s saying a lot.

Treece, Johnson, and a bunch of no name kids from podunk van wert Ohio pull out the win.

Treece maybe the best three sport athlete to come out of van wert county since the 1980s. That’s saying a lot.
There’s some I would put in from of him but he’s really good. Too bad he doesn’t have more around him in basketball.

There’s some I would put in from of him but he’s really good. Too bad he doesn’t have more around him in basketball.
I’m trying to think. I could go back to Joey Gardner in the 80s. Crestview had some great two sport athletes. Lincolnview the same. Van wert had great two sport athletes. Hard to think of who all played three sports at a level this high.

I’m trying to think. I could go back to Joey Gardner in the 80s. Crestview had some great two sport athletes. Lincolnview the same. Van wert had great two sport athletes. Hard to think of who all played three sports at a level this high.
I mean look at Crestviews own Briggs Orsbon. All state football and baseball plus all league basketball who went on to play D1 football.

Last edited:
Good luck to Van Wert! Be cool to see them bring home the championship, but if not runner-up is good too! Hope this area can go 3 for 3!

Go Lake Catholic. Its great to see them in the final. I have seen all three teams that won state titles for Lake. It'll be great to go 4 for 4 in finals!!!

Anyone know what Treece is doing after HS? I imagine he's gotta be getting looks by someone in some sport.

I mean look at Crestviews own Briggs Orsbon. All state football and baseball plus all league basketball who went on to play D1 football.
He came to mind. As did Brett Hammons, Kirk Lichtensteiger, and others. My assumption is that Treece will have offers in all three sports. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen something like that.

Regardless, Go Cougs! It takes an entire team and they are playing great TEAM BALL!

BC was able to make the LC offense 1-dimentional - 40 total yards passing which is concerning to me if I'm an LC fan. I don't know anything about VW's D but if they can contain LC's QB runs then they have a good shot at a W.
As a Lake person, this concerns me too. I get having the QB involved with 80% of the plays is what got them to the championship (along with great defense) but my hope is they have a few plays for this week that step a bit outside a very vanilla offensive game plan. Not criticizing, it's worked and got us to the first state game since 2001

The last thing Lake is thinking or worried about is NDCL. NDCL has not beat Lake in 3 years. But yes, the new conference should be good for Lake.

Speaking of NDCL, where is parkhaven? Or my Mentor buddy? Both said LC was on the verge of closing.
The real person behind the parkhaven handle passed away. I didn't know him personally but another poster way back in the Cleveland.com days, who was a teammate of mine playing semi-pro ball, knew him. He tried to play peacemaker and invited me to join them for their periodic get-togethers, but I passed. He told me parkhaven, off the forum, was a fun guy to be around but put a keyboard in front of him, and he turned into another person. He never explained why the vitriol against Lake and Benedictine.

No. LCC ran all over NB. Didn’t score on four red zone opportunities/two missed extra point tries. Anyway. Shooting darts is no way to pick. You got insight on the game, throw it out!
They did? Who was eating crow? Did you get full on that by the way? My insight is 21-17. Shoot darts with your 3+ score win predictions like you did last week. Hate to tell you but there are no participation trophies and those trips in the red zone don’t count unless you put it in the end zone, which NB stopped

Last edited:
They did? Who was eating crow? Did you get full on that by the way? My insight is 21-17. Shoot darts with your 3+ score win predictions like you did last week. Hate to tell you but there are no participation trophies and those trips in the red zone don’t count unless you put it in the end zone, which NB stopped
Haha. Van Wert board. Hats off to my friend Chad Williams for calling those stops. That said, Recker isn’t calling in the field goal unit this game. Just as he didn’t all playoffs. If you like Lake to win then you do. But bring some substance.

Haha. Van Wert board. Hats off to my friend Chad Williams for calling those stops. That said, Recker isn’t calling in the field goal unit this game. Just as he didn’t all playoffs. If you like Lake to win then you do. But bring some substance.
You’re not the coach. Make your pick, I’ll make mine

The real person behind the parkhaven handle passed away. I didn't know him personally but another poster way back in the Cleveland.com days, who was a teammate of mine playing semi-pro ball, knew him. He tried to play peacemaker and invited me to join them for their periodic get-togethers, but I passed. He told me parkhaven, off the forum, was a fun guy to be around but put a keyboard in front of him, and he turned into another person. He never explained why the vitriol against Lake and Benedictine.
Sorry to hear about parkhaven. I didn't know him IRL, but I've heard from others who had met and talked to him in person that he was very different versus his persona on the online boards.

35-28 van wert
and don’t need to be the coach to know the team. Recker is an old St Johns guy. Pound it in or let his defense stop you. A page out of his days as a beast for the Jays.
Good luck but I know how your scoring works. It won’t be close to that

I thought our State Championship Head Basketball Coach was the only one to use the word, "podunk."

Sorry to hear about Park. Condolences to his family.

However, he for many many years and on many different forms spewed his hatred and distaste in regards to Lake Catholic. Made many false innuendo’s and started many rumors. He had one agenda and one agenda only when coming on these forums. Find it hard to believe that guy was any different in real person. His hatred for Lake was a sickness.

Good luck but I know how your scoring works. It won’t be close to that
Van Wert's lowest scoring game of the year was 28. Last week. 61 degrees on Sunday in Obetz. I imagine both teams will be able to score. I do see that some good defenses have held Lake to lower scores. But I have not heard much about the team overall. So I am giving them a fair shake at a good game and a shootout.

On offense, Lake is what it is. QB-centric, power running. Teams have known what's coming all season. Control the ball, shorten the game, play good defense. At this point of the season, it doesn't matter if you win 10-7 or 42-35.

The Ursuline game is really the only game that I watched all of this season. While it was against a short-handed Ursuline team, Lake was able to take some shots down the field. Probably a matter of the matchups and numbers. Have no idea what VW has in the defensive backfield, but I'm sure Lake will take shots down the field if they start seeing 8-9 in the box.