D III State Championship: Chardon (11-0) vs. Columbus St. Francis DeSales (9-1)

Who wins?

• Chardon

Votes: 76 75.2%
  • DeSales

Votes: 25 24.8%

• Total voters
Having watched Chardon from the sidelines all year I can say this is a very good team. The defense is big, fast and diciplined. They have played very good teams in Canfield and New Philly as well some good DII teams in Mayfield and Riverside. The offense has been improving each week and the deciption created is real! Last week half the Tiffin defense went after the wrong player multiple times. Very few two way dedicated players. They are relentless on defense and will take the 3 1/2 yard per play march down the field on offense.

Chardon has been tested over the last few years and knows how to stay focused. (Kenston 2 years ago... only loss was to Chardon) Great senior group with awesome respect and character! Always picking up the other guys and never putting them down! Truly a great group of young men! Cannot wait till gametime... love watching from the opponents sideline to hear their reactions.

Mentor Lake Catholic, Kirtland and Chardon....all in state title games.....the Lake Erie breezes must generate great football teams....ha
Good luck and may all the players be safe....although I have to be for DeSales since I am a Hartley fan....

who knows on teams so far away and different . i wish them both the best of luck . if can predict an outcome i dont think desalles can come up with enough points to win . that being said my congrats to all these BOYS that made it this far .

I don't think anyone said that. I think some Desales guys are looking for bulletin board material and creating it themselves. Chardon is very good. I think and hope they win. They are our public school neighbors But it isn't an upset if it goes the other way.

Don't Mentor and Chardon typically scrimmage? I understand in 2020 probably not but in the past?

This is the first thread I have ever seen the term "Chardon honks" as well. I rarely see any posts by Chardon fans errr wait a minute, I mean honks. They are and have been a respected public school football program for many, many years. Seriously, they have very few posts on a yearly basis and I've been on Yappi since 2010 or so. If NE Ohio people are picking them to win it's more based on the local respect for the program then them being "honks".

in the regular season a while ago chardon got blasted by mentor like 74 to 12 ,they haven't played since . i don't think it would do either program any good to try it again . i hear they still scrimmage some years , but nobody reports on it .

in the regular season a while ago chardon got blasted by mentor like 74 to 12 ,they haven't played since . i don't think it would do either program any good to try it again . i hear they still scrimmage some years , but nobody reports on it .
It was 78-7 in 03. They were both good teams. Mentor lost to Ed’s in OT in the regional finals, Ed’s went on to lose to Elder in the state championship game. Chardon finished 11-3, lost big in the state semis to Avon Lake who went on to be 15-0 state champs.

Don't Mentor and Chardon typically scrimmage? I understand in 2020 probably not but in the past?
They actually did scrimmage a half this year but it's only been happening a few seasons. Wouldnt call it typical.

They beat us 14-7 in a half. Kipp and a few other starters for us didn't play and the sophomore qb threw a few ints including the first pass

scrimmages are not real games .doesn't mean a thing. be real do you think chardon would beat mentor in a full game this year ?

I’m a little concerned with the polling. Either Chardon has a bunch of fans on
Yappi or we have Ballot Harvesting going on. Trust Me Karl Rd is the real deal. Just ask
Hartley. They have plenty of Experience in the Biggest Games and will give any D3 Team
All they want. Good Luck to both teams. I Root for Karl Rd 51 Weeks a year.
DeSales 31
Chardon 18

Yappi or we have Ballot Harvesting going on. Trust Me Karl Rd is the real deal. Just ask
Hartley. They have plenty of Experience in the Biggest Games and will give any D3 Team
DeSales 31
Chardon 18
If 2020 has proven anything, you can’t always rely on polls ??

DeSales 31
Chardon 18
If it was a bunch of Chardon fans on Yappi I’d think Chardon wouldn’t have been underestimated every week in the Yappi poll.

I can't wait to watch all six games.....I send.my best for the safety of all these young football players. May they not sustain any injuries and play their their hearts out during these state title games........As a fan, I have experienced four state titles with Hartley and the feelings of satisfaction, which are nothing compared to those who played and coached during these games, are great.

Chardons front 7 is too dominate, and physical. DeSales likes to run the ball a lot, I think that this play into a Chardon strength that won't give. If they take care of the football on offense, I don't see this one being close.
Really dominated first half!!! Gave up how many yards??

Last edited:
Really dominated first half!!! Gave up hoe many yards??
Little john ran his mouth in the paper said QQ wouldn't be able to keep up with him because he played both ways.
Hawk you know what a beast he is in the 4th QT . He wears heavy on you.
Hopefully we can hang with Chardon into the 4th and see how QQ does.

Didn’t have that much faith in SFD but, they are turning it up. Thought Chardon was going to dominate the TOP and methodically get into the endzone thanks to their big & athletic o-line — hasn’t happened outside of the QB sweep.

This is a great game. Thompson is stellar.