D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Would get the same result with any coach. In case you haven't noticed, the common denominator between each coach is the assistant coach lineup usually. Pretty sure we've had the same offense coordinator and defense coordinator from previous head coaches staff lineup, and that is why you continue to see the same basic play calling that gets shut down by a good team. Change the play caller and you'll see a different team.
You clearly forgot about DCOhio…

Good season Massillon. Hoban is just simply a juggernaut right now. Too much talent, there is only so much you can do. Honestly the only way you can put the talent Hoban puts out there is by drawing out of district talent. It is a dirty word in Stark County. But that's the cold truth of High School sports in Ohio. Spend money on fancy weightrooms, draw kids from 5 counties, stack the deck in your favor. Outside of the small school divisions, that is just the way things are now. The days of local community built teams putting together feel good stories is over. Unless other schools can do what they do, the State Championships are going to continue to be dominated by the likes of Hoban. Is it fair? IDK, but its just the way it is.

I would disagree with that. Harder to win one at a public school, I think we can all agree on that whether you’re a Massillon hater or whatever. The private schools have an advantage let’s all be honest here
It wasn't that hard before the playoffs started, was it?

And if there had been a split of privates and publics since 1972, and Massillon had won a bunch of public division playoff titles, you could bet your fanbase would be proclaiming non-stop that public titles were superior.

Since private schools win a lot now, the narrative sure has changed.

BTW, Massillon recruits with the best of them, so that excuse is nonsense.

Good season Massillon. Hoban is just simply a juggernaut right now. Too much talent, there is only so much you can do. Honestly the only way you can put the talent Hoban puts out there is by drawing out of district talent. It is a dirty word in Stark County. But that's the cold truth of High School sports in Ohio. Spend money on fancy weightrooms, draw kids from 5 counties, stack the deck in your favor. Outside of the small school divisions, that is just the way things are now. The days of local community built teams putting together feel good stories is over. Unless other schools can do what they do, the State Championships are going to continue to be dominated by the likes of Hoban. Is it fair? IDK, but its just the way it is.
They're there already. And have been there for many years.

Amazed that you’re still going with JLP’s 4 dots followed by a space THEN 4 dots and calling those ellipses.

You do realize that there are higher degrees THAN a masters degree, right?

I’d respond to you more but I’m going to breakfast with my thin kids.
You have no idea, but I’ll continue to let you think you do. Breakfast and then jock riding I’m sure.

They're there already. And have been there for many years.
Its not even remotely comparable with what the private schools are doing.

Massillon is at 37, like many open enrollment publics which tend to be between 20-40. My alma mater is at 20, even though we suck at football. Although it used to be a bit higher pre-covid.

The private schools are well over 100. Hobans is a whopping 190!

We never wished for D2 and never said we would rule D2. But if It makes you feel better about yourself keep making s##t up.
Well I did triple check my sources that are deep into Massillon Football History and they said it happened so! I believe them. Now what I am unable to believe is that Massillon has not won a state title in the playoff era. OH!! wait my sources just told me that is also true. Well just keep hope alive for D3. Next!!

Are you kidding me? You know deep down why Hoban has had their success . They have an assembled all star team. Moore is a great coach but cannot beat Hoban. He has beaten Hoban, but you guys know why they win as they do. They have an advantage over all public schools. Tyrell is a good coach, but so was Gerry Faust.. When on even playing fields, they werenen{t so hot. Hope you get drilled next week.
Massillon has an assembled all star team. What's your next excuse.

Its not even remotely comparable with what the private schools are doing.

Massillon is at 37, like many open enrollment publics which tend to be between 20-40. My alma mater is at 20, even though we suck at football. Although it used to be a bit higher pre-covid.

The private schools are well over 100. Hobans is a whopping 190!
Do you know how that 190 is calculated?

He has 2 or 3? or am I mistaken.. and he's been to 3 or 4 state title games while at Mass...Success all the way around.
You are mistaken. Moore was only two years at La Salle, first year he was 3-7 and didn't make playoffs. Jim Hilvert won in 2015 and 2016 while Hoban was winning in D3

Agreed. But Massillon had their key players from beechwood and copley still got worked.

Can’t argue with that. I mean the D1 Champ will be a private school as I don’t see Ed’s losing and the D2 champ will come from a private school either way. Haven’t looked at the rest of the matchups yet but the private schools have a clear advantage. I’d like to see the stats on how many state champs in the last 10-15 years are private schools in each division

Give it a rest. Massillon bitching about recruiting. Haha Really funny.
Not bitching about recruiting? I’m talking about where Moore won his title. And if Massillon could openly recruit and pull kids, like a QB out of WV then Massillon would be a juggernaut like Hoban. Hobans team is made up kids from all over, as is Ed’s, Iggy, lasalle etc etc That’s not bitching that’s just the facts

It wasn't that hard before the playoffs started, was it?

And if there had been a split of privates and publics since 1972, and Massillon had won a bunch of public division playoff titles, you could bet your fanbase would be proclaiming non-stop that public titles were superior.

Since private schools win a lot now, the narrative sure has changed.

BTW, Massillon recruits with the best of them, so that excuse is nonsense.
To say Massillon recruits the way a Hoban can is laughable for god sakes the have build boards up all over the area lol. But I’m just saying High school football landscape has changed. Let’s see how many state champs come from a private school this year and revisit this conversation. D1 and D2 will be private schools have to wait and see others. They were openly talking about pulling their QB out of WV I mean cmon if Massillon did that every other school in the state would be calling the OHSAA

Here's the elephant in the room. The first quarter was like Varsity vs JV. It exposed the breadth and depth of the gap between the two programs.

Like usual here comes the Tiger sour grapes. They lost to a team that is doing the recruiting game better then them. Schools have said for years the stuff Massillon pulls is BS and the Tiger faithful could care less. But now it's happening against them and they don't like it. People on this site don't have anything against those Tiger players - they dislike the arrogant Massillon fan base.

The Massillon fans act like they are consistent title winners - even though they have NEVER won one. Sure they were given mythical championships by voters I'm sure they paid off or influenced - but they have NEVER actually earned one on the field of play. The state is full of good programs and Massillon is one of them - but they are not elite. Yet that does not stop the fan base from including themselves in conversations with Ed's, Iggy, Hoban, etc. The Tigers are not in that rare air. Maybe people would back off a bit if the fans were not so delusional - but that train has left town and is not coming back.

Take a look at the stats. Less than 70 yards rushing and 3 picks for Massillon. Defense wins championships. Coach Parnell (DC) is simply the best in state of Ohio. Defense returns 9 starters next year.
Hoban played very well and very aggressively on D. I was very impressed by their D-line they did a better job than any team I have seen all year including Moeller and Ed's at shutting down the Tigers rushing attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.