D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please we spotted you 2 touchdowns right off the rip. Nevertheless the story was holding our own against your massive Oline.
Massillon not only held their own up front they wore them down. Massillon didn't put together a complete game and still found a way to win against one of the best in the state.
If Massillon can take care of the ball tomorrow there is no reason we can't beat Hoban.

Massillon not only held their own up front they wore them down. Massillon didn't put together a complete game and still found a way to win against one of the best in the state.
If Massillon can take care of the ball tomorrow there is no reason we can't beat Hoban.
Yep. Not sure how some people’s perception of the Eds game has morphed into: Massillon played a perfect game and Ed’s blew it by missing 4 chip shot field goals and then fumbling late.

Reality is: Massillon’s started the game horribly. Caught fire on offense. Defense got their footing. Offense went cold. Pringle wanted the ball more than the Ed’s RB. And then Massillon was able to make a few plays when it mattered most.

Joe Pickens, former St. Ignatius quarterback, went on to play at OSU and Duke. (Lynn Ischay/The Plain Dealer)

CLEVELAND, Ohio – When quarterback Joe Pickens arrived at St. Ignatius in the mid-1980s, the school on Cleveland’s near West Side wasn’t synonymous with “state football dynasty.”

"I didn't go there thinking about winning championships," said Pickens, ranked No. 14 on The Plain Dealer's list of the greatest high school football players in the area over the past 50 years. "When I went to St. Ignatius, they hadn't enjoyed a lot of football success. I went there because it seemed to be the best academic school."

After seeing both teams, I agree with this.

Massillon might not be the team with the most skill on the field, but they are more balanced than Hoban.

Sperling is an impressive runner, though. Haven’t seen anyone get back to the LOS quicker than him this season.

Yep. Not sure how some people’s perception of the Eds game has morphed into: Massillon played a perfect game and Ed’s blew it by missing 4 chip shot field goals and then fumbling late.

Reality is: Massillon’s started the game horribly. Caught fire on offense. Defense got their footing. Offense went cold. Pringle wanted the ball more than the Ed’s RB. And then Massillon was able to make a few plays when it mattered most.
Right! anyone can watch just the first 3 minutes of that game and see exactly how we did NOT play a perfect game lol.

Anyway, Go Tigers! Beat Hoban!

I know Sperling is a great back, very hard to tackle but I think Tyrell might just try throwing the ball more in this game than most would think. It’s no secret Massillon’s pass D has been exposed a few times. Hoban likes to run Slants and seam routes when they do throw the ball. I hope Massillon is ready for this, they get the ball out fast, if Massillon plays off these receivers it could spell trouble. Then if Hoban gets a lead they will go back to pounding Sperling. Massillon has to establish the run and keep Hoban on the sidelines. No stupid penalties. Massillon also needs to take advantage of the middle of the field hitting crossing routes slants and seam routes. The key is that Slaughter gets the ball out quick if he stands back there Hoban will get to him. Against Ed’s the Ed’s QB was able to avoid the rush and run the ball for big gains. Slaughter will have to do this also. This should be one hell of a game. Massillon is extremely young, They will need to play mistake free football but above that they have to TACKLE SPERLING. GO TIGERS!!!

This is my first ever post on a Massillon thread. I do not have anything against Massillon and will be rooting for them tomorrow night. I normally watch them play 4-5 times a year. This is my take on their offense. When the Tigers play teams they should beat, their offense is very vanilla. They run power, inside zone, throw a quick screen to the outside, or a deep bomb. That is fine because that is all you need to do in order to beat those teams. Massillon is very good at doing those things and have won a ton of games doing so. However, when the tigers play the likes of LaSalle and Hoban that can match their size and athleticism, Massillon is forced to do different things on offense. Because Massillon is vanilla in other games, it’s almost like they are not ready or comfortable to do other things. Over the last few years, I do not see any intermediate passing game from Massillon. 10-15 yards across the middle or sidelines. I thought against Ed’s this year the offense was a little more versatile. This is just my take on Massillon’s offense from an outsider. Once again, not trying to be negative, just stating my opinion

I've said and written it before and I will write it again: You don't have to be the better team, you HAVE TO be the better team that night. Period. All the predictions, all the stats, all comparing scores, common opponents. None of that matters. Happy Thanksgiving to all yappi posters.

Oooooooo..... more hard-hitting, stop-the-presses information. I'm on the edge of seat wondering what will be next. Can't wait!!! :banana:
Do you mean like this?

Joe Pickens, former St. Ignatius quarterback, went on to play at OSU and Duke. (Lynn Ischay/The Plain Dealer)

CLEVELAND, Ohio – When quarterback Joe Pickens arrived at St. Ignatius in the mid-1980s, the school on Cleveland’s near West Side wasn’t synonymous with “state football dynasty.”

"I didn't go there thinking about winning championships," said Pickens, ranked No. 14 on The Plain Dealer's list of the greatest high school football players in the area over the past 50 years. "When I went to St. Ignatius, they hadn't enjoyed a lot of football success. I went there because it seemed to be the best academic school."

Massillon is extremely young, They will need to play mistake free football but above that they have to TACKLE SPERLING. GO TIGERS!!!
Both teams are extremely young, so both should be loaded for a run again next year. Hoban starts 4 seniors on offense, just 2 on defense.

This is my first ever post on a Massillon thread. I do not have anything against Massillon and will be rooting for them tomorrow night. I normally watch them play 4-5 times a year. This is my take on their offense. When the Tigers play teams they should beat, their offense is very vanilla. They run power, inside zone, throw a quick screen to the outside, or a deep bomb. That is fine because that is all you need to do in order to beat those teams. Massillon is very good at doing those things and have won a ton of games doing so. However, when the tigers play the likes of LaSalle and Hoban that can match their size and athleticism, Massillon is forced to do different things on offense. Because Massillon is vanilla in other games, it’s almost like they are not ready or comfortable to do other things. Over the last few years, I do not see any intermediate passing game from Massillon. 10-15 yards across the middle or sidelines. I thought against Ed’s this year the offense was a little more versatile. This is just my take on Massillon’s offense from an outsider. Once again, not trying to be negative, just stating my opinion

Any way you slice it we have to be able to run the ball and stop the run. Hoban, LaSalle, Ed etc are simply great teams at this level and a very tall task for anyone. They do what they normally do all season, and it's always up to the opponent to design some new strategy just for them. That is quite an advantage. I agree we need to come up some new wrinkles. Last game was a disaster. Hartson 9 carries for 24 yards. We can expect the same strategy Friday, and the same outcome too if we can't run the ball. Just who we are. Effective balance would help that.

In fairness our 1st 2 backs were injured and Hartson was a sophomore then. But I doubt it mattered much. That was just a tough, loaded team and Hamm had a great game.

It’s the angles he takes, his vision his incredible and I have never watched a high school RB more adept at avoiding a crushing hit.
If you’re trying for a crushing hit you are most likely going to miss badly. It’s going to need to be D linemen winning battles and being in on tackles. If Massillon’s linebackers and safeties are making all the tackles it will be a bad sign

Status
Not open for further replies.