D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one gives 2 F’s about Massillon’s history. Yes it’s cool to high school fans but any Joe blow on the street cares less. This is why so many people on here don’t like Massillon.
The Massillon guys on this forum are THE MOST arrogant people in the world. First off, they spend insane amounts of time on this forum trying to belittle anyone who dares to disagree with them. Their entire lives revolve around HS football and their beloved Tigers. I can only imagine how hard they take it when the Tigers lose. One or more of these Massillon yappites might commit suicide if they lose. And it’s a shame because the Massillon fan base are among the best when it comes to being humble, gracious and kind. They support their team better than any other school. I know because I have friends and business associates from Massillon. Also my Father always admired Massillon and had a great group of friends from Massillon. I would say don’t get a negative impression of Massillon based on on the Yappi Massillon knuckleheads.

I graduated from a Catholic HS - I very well know how it works. VERY WELL. I speak from years of experience. Thank god I didn't practice the rhythm method that was preached to us in senior marriage and family class cuz I would have been broke paying child support before graduating. Oh yeah, and the pregnant girl in our graduating class that wasn't allowed to be in in graduation - how's that for "love?" They sure did shove it down her throat! I'm with Carlin - it's all BS (and "Spooky Language") that's my opinion. Blah, blah, blah....sorry to step on your sensitive toes there buddy.

But you're right - let's get back to football.
I obviously have no idea how long ago you graduated, but that sounds like a Catholic education from the dark ages. I also graduated from Catholic HS quite few years ago now, and I have never been, or ever will be Catholic. Nobody was made to participate in any religious services or practices they didn't want to participate in, and we had one of the most in-depth, graphic and informative sex ed courses you could imagine, which was mandatory. Thoroughly enjoyed my 4 years, and I was a public school kid all the way through grade school. I know there are still some very hardcore, intolerant institutions in existence, but you have to be in certain parts of the country to run across those.

Give them their 22/24 titles. It’s still been 5 DECADES or 50+ years since they won one. There have been hundreds of state champion teams crowned since Massillon win a title. And we never got an answer on how that 22 suddenly turned into 24. What year was Massillon’s last AP title and who was the coach? Is he still alive?
The Massillon fans are the worst blah blah blah yet here you are on a Sunday night having Massillon consume you.
This thread is about the game take your constant JR elsewhere.

Question: so if you went from “fan” to hatred due to a few dudes on this site and now troll every Massillon thread as a result what is the problem with some Massillon folks doing the same to area schools threads because lord knows there are annoying fans posting on here from every school. I used to never give a darn about Green but you alone have made me dislike them 😂
MT3... you should know by now that it is a one way street... it's ok for people to be anti-Massillon due to what they perceive to be inappropriate/inaccurate posts by some Massillon supporters... but heaven forbid if the tables are turned the other way by the fans of other schools... we all know that the supporters of other schools are all perfect angels... :rolleyes:

Give them their 22/24 titles. It’s still been 5 DECADES or 50+ years since they won one. There have been hundreds of state champion teams crowned since Massillon win a title. And we never got an answer on how that 22 suddenly turned into 24. What year was Massillon’s last AP title and who was the coach? Is he still alive?
Let it go man! Massillon has one of the richest histories and traditions in all of sports. The contributions and influence made by past Massillonian Tiger coaches and players to the game of football goes well beyond the high school level and it's history is remarkable and undisputed. It's great to still be a part of it and I haven't lived there for decades.

How long did the Boston Red Sox go before winning a World series? Almost a century? Red Sox fans toiled for a long time. Yet, they were still the Red Sox with a remarkable deep sense of history and tradition, as we also have. We'll get there with the championship as they did.

You and you're ilk are just here to take your gaslighting pot shots at lack of championships, because why? It appears you have no real life sense of tradition or the foundation of living in a great historical town and community. Y'all are like a raven squaking on a telephone wire, it's just noise. How many Stuhldrehers, Browns, Mathers, James, McVays, et al have come out of your town's living history, in or out of football? What is wrong with a strong pride in community and tradition? The history and culture of Massillon, including a lot of really neat things beyond football, is pretty remarkable. What a cool place.

"There have been hundreds of state champion teams crowned since Massillon win a title."

So what?! Congratulations to them. They still aren't Massillon and never will be. They'll never "get it." How many of them are on their way to 950 all time wins? Would you take that away from them if they acheived that too?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Crimson and Black, post: 8645850, member:
[/QUOTE]
There you go again. Don’t come on Massillon threads with your stupid comments, this time questioning our state titles, and not expect a response. Your distaste for Massillon centers on your Big Red‘s pathetic record against the Tigers. Plus, you know if the two teams would play now, it wouldn’t be competitive. A FACT. In fact you should be concerned about your upcoming game with Wyoming, instead wasting everyone’s time posting on the Massillon-Hoban thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It blows my mind, that people come on here to purposely troll Massillon people, and then when Massillon people chirp back, as any fans of a program that has 24 state championships has any right to do, they are the villains. St Eds fans have the right to defend their teams . Moeller fans have the right to defend their teams. Hoban fans have the right to defend their teams. MAC fans have the right to defend their teams. But when Massillon people do it, oh no , we cant have that.

Are only certain posters here that represent certain schools allowed to talk up their team? Just asking....

It blows my mind, that people come on here to purposely troll Massillon people, and then when Massillon people chirp back, as any fans of a program that has 24 state championships has any right to do, they are the villains. St Eds fans have the right to defend their teams . Moeller fans have the right to defend their teams. Hoban fans have the right to defend their teams. MAC fans have the right to defend their teams. But when Massillon people do it, oh no , we cant have that.

Are only certain posters here that represent certain schools allowed to talk up their team? Just asking....
Thank You, well said.

Was speaking to a Perry player, he asked me why does everybody hate Massillon so much. He said his girlfriend, team mates and everyone he talks to in his age group despise Massillon. So this goes beyond a few posters on Yappi. I personally think it's ( and nobody ever admits to this) a jealously thing. Let's face it, we're football crazy over here and very few communities rival our fervor for the game. But I've noticed over the years that the young kids get this attitude from hating parents and grandparents. This must then be a generational thing. I mean, the young kid asked my why this is.
So yea, as Paul Brown said " if your from Massillon, then your special "
Another thing I wanted to touch on after scrolling through comments.
Open enrollment was supposed to even the playing field with private schools. This was their last effort to stave off separating Publics and private. Because, sure there's a discrepancy in the talent when comparing them. Some will say " but but but Massillon gets transfers" or they recruit. NOoo,,,,, kids want to come here for a college scholarship opportunity. Occasionally you will have an over zealous fan that will try and persuade a kid to go to a school, but tell me that doesn’t happen at any magnetic school. Perry/ wrestling, Jackson/baseball, ect.
But these power house private football machines hand pick their rosters aided by state vouchers no less. I m mean, look at Hoban,,, they need a quarterback, they immediately find one in a neighboring state!
No questions asked! Oh, and that was after the one lured from Massillon didn't pan out.
Is this wrong? No Not if the same rules apply to the public schools.
Some will say, he's just making excuses for losing to Akron Friday. Nope, we will show up and give em he'll all nite long. Will it be enough? We'll see. That's all I have to say about that.

I hope Massillon wins this game and wins the state. Then all this other crap, I hope, will stop. I'm not particularly fond of Massillon and their followers, but I will give credit where credit is due. They have been a football power for over one hundred years. They are responsible for putting Ohio high school football on the map. They have been in many state championship games, and just haven't gotten the breaks a team needs to win those games. With that said, good luck to both teams. Have a safe, fun game.

I hope Massillon wins this game and wins the state. Then all this other crap, I hope, will stop. I'm not particularly fond of Massillon and their followers, but I will give credit where credit is due. They have been a football power for over one hundred years. They are responsible for putting Ohio high school football on the map. They have been in many state championship games, and just haven't gotten the breaks a team needs to win those games. With that said, good luck to both teams. Have a safe, fun game.
Exactly

You know people are jealous of your program and history when they sink to questioning how many fans you don’t have at a game that you may or may not have brought. That is grasping for straws. Massillon is the reason high school football is what it is in Ohio. There isn’t a coach in Ohio High School football that would disagree with that. Nothing else can be said.

I think it’ll only get worse if the Tigers win this year. Some of these people on here need medicated.

You do all realize the same guy runs multi anti Massillon accounts. Ignore him, before you respond think about how sad and lonely his existence must be to spend so much time attempting to discredit the greatest high school football program ever. Sure Hoban may have more wins lately but they, IMG, ect ect will never have our tradition and passion.

Sure Hoban walked out of the 2018 title game with the trophy but the way Tiger fans filled up the home side of the stadium that cold night is a feat no one can match. We don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Let’s focus on making our program and city stronger, ignore the haters. Warpath!

The Massillon fans are the worst blah blah blah yet here you are on a Sunday night having Massillon consume you.
This thread is about the game take your constant JR elsewhere.
No the Massillon fans are NOT the worst. In fact Ive said many times they are the best and most supportive of any fan base. What I did say is….. the Massillon gang posting on this forum are by and large arrogant and mean. They are simply a group of knuckleheads that I’m certain Massillon fans cringe when reading some of the rubbish they post.

Is Eds the only common opponent? If so, a bad measure of how this one will go. Eds played their best game against Hoban.

This should be a great one. Hard to pick a favorite. Massillon's front 7 needs to show up and be ready. If they can hold, they'll be fine.

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here being a lifetime Tiger fan, but first a little back story. My Dad was a lifelong Tiger fan, only missing 5 games since 1965, until ALS took his away his ability to go, and ultimately took his life this past January. In that time frame he attended over 615 Varsity games, myself attending over half of them with him. That total doesnt include practices, scrimmages and the underclassmen games he attended as well. When I was a young child before the computer generated points, I spent my Saturday mornings looking up scores in the AP results in the paper while my Dad did the computer points by hand. I spent a lifetime going to all the games with him, all the special memories of decades of away games, to Altoona, Indiana, Cincinnati and all the other great cities the Tigers have played. All of our special Beat McKinley breakfasts we had as a family, always playing the 1974 vinyl record of Bill Caples and the Eddie George pass. My family has lived and breathed Tiger football since 1965. It's part of us, and we have a lifetime of memories to share and remember my Dad and all that he experienced. That's what it means to be a Tiger. I will continue my Dad's lifelong passion and continue to be a fan , forever and always. To all the naysayers out there saying Massillon blah blah can't win, blah. Massillon has by far been the most successful team in the county the last 5 years, and the D2 teams that have won the title in many of those years would have won the D1 title as well, it hasn't been an easy route to the championship. For the Tigers to win on Friday they need to be able to throw the ball, eliminate unnecessary penalties, and contain Sperling, and last but not least, believe in themselves. This is the best defensive line and linebackers we've had in awhile, and the offense is capable of mixing it up and making plays. Massillon Always...TIG!
Very nice post. Thanks for putting your self out there and sharing. I enjoyed reading this very much.

The common opponent, St. Eds is interesting to me. Massillon pulls out the victory but I was shocked Hoban lost by that much? I fear that Hoban might have been down a few kids to Eds and that Eds played terrible vs Massillon. However, im not sure. Any insight on this? I like both teams. I think Hoban is the better team with their line play and running backs and discipline. My heart wants the Tigers, but my head says the Knights in a 21-17 game. One thing to be sure, ill be there. I predict a near sellout crowd (how many seats they got there?) But mostly from the orange and black.
Massillon's win over Eds was good for both teams. For the Tigers, it increased confidence. For Eds, as their players will admit, it woke them up. They had not been playing like a defending state champion with similar aspirations their first several games, albeit against excellent competition. Since then, I'd say beginning with the Ignatius game two weeks later, they hit a whole other gear and haven't let off since. From a talent standpoint, their both capable this year and at least next. These next 12 days or so will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.