D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Infocision Stadium lists 27, 800 something as sell out and capacity 30,000. No way this game will sell out. I'd expect about maybe 10,000 if weather perfect but probably in range of 8,000 total. I will say Massillon Washington Tiger swing band will be the top halftime and game time band!

Infocision Stadium lists 27, 800 something as sell out and capacity 30,000. No way this game will sell out. I'd expect about maybe 10,000 if weather perfect but probably in range of 8,000 total. I will say Massillon Washington Tiger swing band will be the top halftime and game time band!
Certainly won’t sell out but weather looks like it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the last two weeks and it’s half the distance of Mansfield and Parma. Also factor in that a lot of people will be off work on Friday anyways

My concern is that Massillon is just consistent at one thing, being inconsistent. Hoban is a great team and they're not going to give us the game on Friday because of unforced errors...If we're going to come out of Infocision with a W, then we're going to have to take it from them. We need to get Slaughter in rhythm early, we've got to be able to spread this D out and then break them with Pringle/Hartson. I'd also love to see the big TE #97 get a look in the red zone.

I think you can argue that Hoban seems to have found a different gear for the playoffs. I’d say Hoban is among the cream.
I Don’t disagree, but Sperling’s succes = Hoban’s success. They definitely have more weapons than him, but they ride him hard and put him to bed wet (that’s an old horse euphemism for those with dirty minds).

that kid that runs the jet sweep is fast, but he won’t beat Massillon to the edge at will.

Hoban will need a new wrinkle this week other than Sperling, Jet sweep, and over the top.

Last edited:
Should Massillon beat Hoban and then go on to win the state title, is it possible that a college coaching position my be offered to Moore? If so, would he take it?

Question for Hoban fans: Tysen Campbell the star DB….does he play safety, corner, or both? Should we expect to see him lined up against Banks?

Forgot how annoying I found Hoban-Massillon threads....

Anyway, Hoban has relied on their O-Line all season which has been quietly great, except against St Ed's, who had the only D-line the Knights faced who could push around their O-Line. From what I've seen, Massillon doesn't have a D-Line like St Ed's, and played around Ed's D-Line instead of going through it like Hoban tried to. I'm guessing Hoban scores a few times here.

Hoban's defense is great top to bottom, but so is Massillon's passing attack. The problem here is that passing isn't going to eat up enough clock, and Hoban knows how to play with and preserve a lead.

I predict Hoban in a close game with very few punts - thinking 33-28 (Hoban has been missing a few XPs lately)

Anyway, Hoban has relied on their O-Line all season which has been quietly great, except against St Ed's, who had the only D-line the Knights faced who could push around their O-Line. From what I've seen, Massillon doesn't have a D-Line like St Ed's, and played around Ed's D-Line instead of going through it like Hoban tried to. I'm guessing Hoban scores a few times here.

Hoban's defense is great top to bottom, but so is Massillon's passing attack. The problem here is that passing isn't going to eat up enough clock, and Hoban knows how to play with and preserve a lead.

I predict Hoban in a close game with very few punts - thinking 33-28 (Hoban has been missing a few XPs lately)
This is the most unreliable kicking game Hoban has had in a long time. They just don't attempt FG's, they've only tried a few all year, and PAT's have been inconsistent. Could eventually burn them in a close game.

This is the most unreliable kicking game Hoban has had in a long time. They just don't attempt FG's, they've only tried a few all year, and PAT's have been inconsistent. Could eventually burn them in a close game.
Same situation for Massillon tbh. It was a battle of bad special teams vs Eds

Wow, have you seen any Massillon games this year? Your assessment of their D line is way off.

Don't know about the LC situation (I thought they were closing....lol), but Hoban has an absolute legit gripe about St V. St V is a bunch of hypocrites who form all star team after all star team in basketball, but when Hoban does it in football they take their ball and go home crying to mommy? Naw, sorry, I can't get on board here, sans LC.
Fair point with hoops. The Irish definitely has had their success on the basketball court.

His post also completely misrepresents the sentiment. It's obvious why Padua, LC and NDCL have moved on. The point was, STVM is not those schools, and is more than capable of getting and developing players to compete on the field with Hoban, as their regular season game this year shows. It's all about a few, aggrieved adults who don't care what the players want, the students want, or the alumni wants.
I did not misrepresent anything. You were the one complaining about those schools not playing Hoban anymore. It will continue to get difficult in your scheduling moving forward as well. Believe what you want to believe, nobody is scared of Hoban, and if you think Tyrell and his antics have nothing to do with it, not sure what to tell you.

And that is truly sad if it‘s few adults ending this rivalry. Are they playing in hoops still?

I did not misrepresent anything. You were the one complaining about those schools not playing Hoban anymore. It will continue to get difficult in your scheduling moving forward as well. Believe what you want to believe, nobody is scared of Hoban, and if you think Tyrell and his antics have nothing to do with it, not sure what to tell you.

And that is truly sad if it‘s few adults ending this rivalry. Are they playing in hoops still?
I was complaining that STVM was following suit, not that those 3 weren't on the schedule anymore. Hoban shouldn't want to play those 3 schools anymore, either. Of course it's just a few adults, the players, students and alumni have no interest in ending it.

You have know idea about Massillon do you? For one thing, they have allowed 1 team I believe to rush for more than 100 yards, maybe 2 but that was probably against the backups late in the game. Massillon’s Dline is very strong. Hobans Oline does not impress me at all. Sperling makes a lot of yards on his own. He is an amazing RB. Very tough to tackle. St Ed’s tackles very well. That’s why St Ed’s won they stopped Sperling. Massillon has to tackle well to win this game. If they can control Hoban running the ball they have a shot. On offense they have to pass to loosen up the defense. They will not be able to just line up and pound it up the middle. If the weather is decent I think Massillon empties the playbook. That is the only way they win. Be unpredictable.

Like I say for many games, the winner of this game wins the LOS . (barring not getting crushed in the turnover battle). It should be a very physical game, and the more physical will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.