D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"If anyone thinks Lake was an easy opponent they are nuts!"

Lake is a fine opponent and program.

But based on some of the comments around here about other sporting topics, I'd say plenty of people are nuts and the state of mental health in this country is equivalent to the Tom Arth years at Infocision Stadium.

And speaking of Infocision Stadium, while I'd love to see images of Wes Chandler, Charlie Joiner and Air Coryell lighting up the scoreboard in a high octane game....that ain't happening.

Since many others have submitted a prediction, so will I. I'll submit multiple predictions:

1. Tigers win 17-6.
2. Next to no one will be looking to WHBC or Gannett for game coverage or analysis.
3. This will be the biggest crowd at Infocision during the Joe Moorhead Zips season of 2022.

That's all I got, it ain't much, I could be wrong, I hope I'm right, it's Saturday morning and I need more coffee.
Good post, we were told all week that Lake was so good that they were gonna "shock the world," now Massillon, "didn't play anybody."

Let's make up our minds folks.

Last edited:
God post, we were told all week that Lake was so good that they were gonna "shock the world," now Massillon, "didn't play anybody."

I don't see anyone claiming Lake isn't a good team. I think Massillon and Hoban faced similar competition in their perspective regions. IMO Massillon had the tougher opponent of the two last night. Doesn't mean I'm right. Just stating my opinion. Nothing wrong for someone to feel region 5 is a stronger region. The right two teams made it through and will decide it on the field. I am looking forward to it. Go Tigers.

I don't see anyone claiming Lake isn't a good team. I think Massillon and Hoban faced similar competition in their perspective regions. IMO Massillon had the tougher opponent of the two last night. Doesn't mean I'm right. Just stating my opinion. Nothing wrong for someone to feel region 5 is a stronger region. The right two teams made it through and will decide it on the field. I am looking forward to it. Go Tigers.
My point/s is/are, not only why does it matter by the same old trolls making the argument.

God post, we were told all week that Lake was so good that they were gonna "shock the world," now Massillon, "didn't play anybody."

Funny how that works huh? Same people who say Massillon disrespects opponents also say we have a cake walk thru them, lol. Oookay.

Green was good. Lake was good. Probably on a par imo. Just different circumstances. Take it as a compliment or an insult wgaf.

Here are the players from both teams ranked in the 247sports composite rankings for Ohio:

Massillon-
#22 Sr Ardell Banks WR (Toledo commit)
#39 Sr Willtrell Hartson RB (8 FBS offers)
#66 Sr Marcus Moore DT (Akron commit)
#70 Sr Freddie Lenix Jr (Kent State commit) Injured and hasn't played recently

Hoban
#66 Sr Lamar Sperling RB (Buffalo commit)
#12 Jr Will Satterwhite OL (Offers from UK, Duke, Cincinnati, MSU)
#18 Jr Jacqai Long QB (Offers from Marshall, Miami OH, Toledo)

I disagree that Lake would be the second best team in Region 5. Drew Pasteur would have them as the 6th best team in Region 5. Lake is an excellent team for sure though. I agree that the Federal League is a better league than the Suburban National League but Region 5 is much more than the 3 teams in the Suburban National.

The games are played on the field, not on a website- lake got to the regional finals and lost so they are the 2nd best team in the region. I cannot believe that this huge game is coming up next week and people are analyzing regions and not talking about the game.

The common opponent, St. Eds is interesting to me. Massillon pulls out the victory but I was shocked Hoban lost by that much? I fear that Hoban might have been down a few kids to Eds and that Eds played terrible vs Massillon. However, im not sure. Any insight on this? I like both teams. I think Hoban is the better team with their line play and running backs and discipline. My heart wants the Tigers, but my head says the Knights in a 21-17 game. One thing to be sure, ill be there. I predict a near sellout crowd (how many seats they got there?) But mostly from the orange and black.

He doesn't even know the definition of hypocrite or hypocrisy.

trust me on that.
I have turned the other cheek. Insults no longer bother me. As for the game, the Tigers have to hold Sperling to under 150 yards. Ignatius geared its defense to stopping him, yet he ran all over and through the Ignatius defense. I'm surprised that he's going to Buffalo, as I think a Big 5 conference would have scooped him up. He must like snow.

Fantastic matchup. I am glad that they made Infocison available for this one. I half suspected the OHSAA was exercise their discretion to re-bracket the teams in an attempt to line this one up for Canton.

The common opponent, St. Eds is interesting to me. Massillon pulls out the victory but I was shocked Hoban lost by that much? I fear that Hoban might have been down a few kids to Eds and that Eds played terrible vs Massillon. However, im not sure. Any insight on this? I like both teams. I think Hoban is the better team with their line play and running backs and discipline. My heart wants the Tigers, but my head says the Knights in a 21-17 game. One thing to be sure, ill be there. I predict a near sellout crowd (how many seats they got there?) But mostly from the orange and black.

Like I said after you posted, Ed o vs. Massillon d was probably similar to their output vs. Hoban but they made some mistakes, and missed fgs. Massillon QB had a great game and they had trouble covering Banks and threw for 295. I assume Hoban was not as successful through the air in their game. I would LOVE for the passing game to be clicking like that next week but Dec. is much different than Sept obviously.

Last edited:
Overall there’s never much you can take from games against common opponents.

The Massillon vs Ed’s game was played so much differently by Massillon than every other game this season (offensively). They threw the ball more times than they ran it. Hartson only had 18 carry’s. Was this a sign of what this Massillon offense is capable of when they want to open things up or was it simply an anomaly that they will not be able to duplicate?

Overall there’s never much you can take from games against common opponents.

The Massillon vs Ed’s game was played so much differently by Massillon than every other game this season (offensively). They threw the ball more times than they ran it. Hartson only had 18 carry’s. Was this a sign of what this Massillon offense is capable of when they want to open things up or was it simply an anomaly that they will not be able to duplicate?

Agreed. In different conditions no doubt the strategy this week would be closer to that week. But that's playoff football in ne oh, things get get more conservative from the mid-70's to the teens. Hoping for best conditions possible cuz I think that (passing game) might be the only edge we have on them. Not that they don't have a decent passing game either, just hard for me to imagine alot of success being one dimensional vs. Hoban. Having an outside threat like Lenix would have been huge in a game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.