D II State Semi-Final: Massillon (12-1) vs Archbishop Hoban (13-1)

Who wins?

• Hoban

Votes: 121 55.8%
  • Massillon

Votes: 96 44.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moeller beats Massillon
Massillon beats Ed’s
Ed’s beat Moeller

Hoban is at another level with most of the other schools in the state, but those three mentioned above are the cream.

Moeller beats Massillon
Massillon beats Ed’s
Ed’s beat Moeller

Hoban is at another level with most of the other schools in the state, but those three mentioned above are the cream.
I think you can argue that Hoban seems to have found a different gear for the playoffs. I’d say Hoban is among the cream.

In reading the Hoban - STVM thread about the two schools not playing in football anymore, the arrogance of some of the Hoban people is ridiculous. Everything at Hoban has changed since the dynasty began. I don’t know if it’s Tim Tyrell and the culture there or what, but the institution is nothing like it used to be. And to actually see some of the Hoban people on here complaining because schools like Lake Catholic, NDCL and Padua won’t play is hilarious. Lake Catholic is a Division IV school. You play St. Edward for God’s sake and you’re mad that LC won’t play. Not our fault you guys can’t find games. So now your rival STVM has dropped you. Maybe it’s time for Hoban to do some soul searching and see why nobody wants to play.

With all that said, Go Massillon Tigers!

Cream rises to the top. Hoban by 2-3 scores. Sperling goes for 200+ and 4 scores and is named Mr football. Hoban D shuts down the run game.
Seems like Hoban is really focused on getting Mr Football…What about the Massillon pass game ? As of now it’s not going to be a constant 20mph wind game.

There has been talk about Massillon playing in an easy region. Could not the same be said for Hoban? I am curious what other people think. Would you consider the Federal league a stronger league than the Suburban National league?

There has been talk about Massillon playing in an easy region. Could not the same be said for Hoban? I am curious what other people think. Would you consider the Federal league a stronger league than the Suburban National league?
Willoughby South
Barberton
St V
Hudson
I wouldn’t exactly call that murderers row. But most of that talk comes from people that just hate everything about Massillon.

Drew Pasteur’s rankings had 5 of the Top 10 teams in D2 coming from Region 5. Region 7 only had Massillon in the Top 10. Lake would be next at #13.

I’ll say Massillon wins in a thriller 30-27 in a game that goes down to the wire.

TCC likely favorite in the other semi-final but Kings is better than many in NE Ohio realize. They’re also still playing for a reason. That should be interesting also.

Im rooting for an all public Massillon vs Kings final but picking a Massillon vs TCC final.

Last edited:
I think this will be a good game. Sperling is great but Massillon’s D is the best I’ve seen since 2005. Massillon hasn’t had to load the box to stop the run either so Long won’t have an easy time throwing over the top. Yards will be tougher for Hartson against Hobans front 7 so Moore is going to finally have to open the playbook a little more. Slaughter will have to have a good game like he did vs St Ed’s.

This should be a good one

I think this will be a good game. Sperling is great but Massillon’s D is the best I’ve seen since 2005. Massillon hasn’t had to load the box to stop the run either so Long won’t have an easy time throwing over the top. Yards will be tougher for Hartson against Hobans front 7 so Moore is going to finally have to open the playbook a little more. Slaughter will have to have a good game like he did vs St Ed’s.

Weather report looks to be above freezing and downtown Akron shouldn’t be a wind tunnel like Byers field

Can Massillon pass? If so, I think they can win. If not, Hoban wins. I know nothing about Massillon but they did beat St. Eds and Eds is the probably the best team in Ohio so they clearly have a chance. It sounds like it will be a low scoring game so I will take Hoban 24-16.

They is going to be such a big game.

Can Massillon pass? If so, I think they can win. If not, Hoban wins. I know nothing about Massillon but they did beat St. Eds and Eds is the probably the best team in Ohio so they clearly have a chance. It sounds like it will be a low scoring game so I will take Hoban 24-16.
Massillon threw for 295 yds against Ed’s and will have to somewhat duplicate that performance against Hoban.

Status
Not open for further replies.