D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was knocked unconscious he should not have been playing at all. No responsible medical personnel or coach would let a kid be knocked unconscious and allow him to play. Not in 2020.

Last edited:
Mass Hoban
FIRST DOWNS 8 16
Rushing 3 9
Passing 3 6
Penalty 2 1
NET YARDS RUSHING 32 180
Rushing Attempts 28 42
Average Per Rush 1.1 4.3
Rushing Touchdowns 0 1
Yards Gained Rushing 81 203
Yards Lost Rushing 49 23
NET YARDS PASSING 104 170
Completions-Attempts-Int 7-18-1 10-11-1
Average Per Attempt 5.8 15.5
Average Per Completion 14.9 17.0
Passing Touchdowns 1 4
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 136 350
Total offense plays 46 53
Average Gain Per Play 3.0 6.6
Fumbles: Number-Lost 2-1 1-0
Penalties: Number-Yards 5-60 8-85
PUNTS-YARDS 6-269 3-134
Average Yards Per Punt 44.8 44.7
Net Yards Per Punt 44.0 44.7
Inside 20 0 1
50+ Yards 1 1
Touchbacks 0 0
Fair catch 2 1
KICKOFFS-YARDS 2-114 5-286
Average Yards Per Kickoff 57.0 57.2
Net Yards Per Kickoff 37.0 40.2
Touchbacks 0 2
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD 0-0-0 1-5-0
Average Per Return 0.0 5.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 3-45-0 2-40-0
Average Per Return 15.0 20.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD 1-15-0 1-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD 0-0-0 1-20-0
Miscellaneous Yards 0 0
Possession Time 18:16 29:44
1st Quarter 2:02 9:58
2nd Quarter 6:54 5:06
3rd Quarter 5:52 6:08
4th Quarter 3:28 8:32
Third-Down Conversions 3 of 12 4 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions 0 of 1 2 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances 1-1 3-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards 1-11 5-21
PAT Kicks 0-1 5-5
Field Goals 0-0 0-0

I understand how ohio state recruiting has expanded nationally, but how do they let kids like Hobans kirk and Patterson out of thier grasp???????

That's something both sides could do. It's a little disingenuous for either side in this game to not acknowledge that the geographic base of their talent pool gives them a significant advantage over the competition. Hoban's offensive MVP last night is from Austintown. Defensive MVP from Dublin. Massillon's best player last night was an Akron kid (just ask his shoes). It is all within the rules, but nonetheless that advantage has served both programs well.

It's just life isn't it. There will always be a great program or programs. People inherently want to be part of something great. If you're a great athlete it's pretty intoxicating to feel wanted, it just takes an invite. That's Hoban now, they put a campaign together and made a commitment to invest in athletic success. It was a great long term strategy for the growth or sustainability of the school. They had a plan and the Hoban community backed it with their resources. The leadership including Tyrell have executed and achieved the goal. I'm sure surpassed the goal. My take is they do it the right way, kids benefit, school remains viable, greater Hoban community benefits.......all without compromising their core principals. All you can do really is tip your cap if they beat you, and prep to be the best going forward. If Hoban ever tails off, some other place with Hoban's model will fill the void. People always want to be part of something great. If you're a closed enrollment public, screw 'em, prep to beat their *ss next year.

It's just life isn't it. There will always be a great program or programs. People inherently want to be part of something great. If you're a great athlete it's pretty intoxicating to feel wanted, it just takes an invite. That's Hoban now, they put a campaign together and made a commitment to invest in athletic success. It was a great long term strategy for the growth or sustainability of the school. They had a plan and the Hoban community backed it with their resources. The leadership including Tyrell have executed and achieved the goal. I'm sure surpassed the goal. My take is they do it the right way, kids benefit, school remains viable, greater Hoban community benefits.......all without compromising their core principals. All you can do really is tip your cap if they beat you, and prep to be the best going forward. If Hoban ever tails off, some other place with Hoban's model will fill the void. People always want to be part of something great. If you're a closed enrollment public, screw 'em, prep to beat their *ss next year.
Well put. The Avons and Hudsons of the world will always have to make a tall leap to win a championship. If it’s not Trotwood, it’s LaSalle. If it’s not LaSalle, it’s Hoban. The model is out there and some school will always make it work, but that should never stop the other schools from striving for football excellence.

Well said. And in all honesty, if I am a top kid in the area and want to play on a big stage and win championships and can swing going to Hoban, I would probably make that choice. Success follows success. I'm not a fan of ring chasing and I like seeing places like Avon, Kirtland, Coldwater and Ironton build from within and have that community experience, it is what it is.

Hoban's 4th down conversions were were confidence boosters for them and confidence crushers for Mass

They sure were. Hoban just imposing their will.

I thought there were another couple of momentum killers. First, when Massillon got the interception and then immediately turned it back over with an interception. The second was the unsportsmanlike penalty followed by the missed extra point. That coupled with being unable to do anything with the opening possession of the second half took any wind out of their sails.

I understand how ohio state recruiting has expanded nationally, but how do they let kids like Hobans kirk and Patterson out of thier grasp???????
Kirk had an offer, they've been recruiting him for a while, and it was widely assumed he would end up there. He just saw a chance to play early at MSU. Patterson is an excellent HS football player and a great kid, but OSU has reached the point where they are recruiting the elite of the elite at that position.

Props to Egret, Tiger Pa, pup pounder and Mass posters who came on under tough circumstances. No longer interested in phony fans like JLP, Mass82, firewatch, etc who post all the time and hide after a loss. No cred or stones. Your kids deserve better. They had a good year.

Why you have a thing for catrone? Did his family wrong you in the past? That kid has more heart than any kid I've ever known! Played all season with a separated throwing shoulder and was knocked unconscious last night.

Was he really unconscious? And then back in after the timeout? Does high school have any concept of the "concussion protocol", or are teams free to do as they please?

Was he really unconscious? And then back in after the timeout? Does high school have any concept of the "concussion protocol", or are teams free to do as they please?
Pretty sure thats Catrones dad so im gonna guess he would know or hes covering for his son.(dont take that the wrong way.)

Schools with Three Consecutive Championship Game Appearances
(victories in bold)

Public
  1. Coldwater (09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16)
  2. Kenton (01/02/03)
  3. Kirtland (11/12/13/14/15, 17/18/19/20)
  4. Marion Local (11/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19)
  5. Massillon Washington (18/19/20)
  6. Mogadore (00/01/02)
  7. St. Henry (94/95/96)
  8. Steubenville (15/16/17)
  9. Trotwood-Madison (10/11/12/13)
  10. Versailles (93/94/95/96)
Non-Public
  1. Akron Archbishop Hoban (15/16/17/18)
  2. Canton Central Catholic (14/15/16)
  3. Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (75/76/77, 79/80/81/82)
  4. Cincinnati La Salle (14/15/16)
  5. Cleveland Benedictine (02/03/04)
  6. Cleveland St. Ignatius (91/92/93/94/95/96)
  7. Columbus St. Francis DeSales (96/97/98)
  8. Delphos St. John’s (97/98/99, 08/09/10)
  9. Newark Catholic (80/81/82/83/84/85/86/87)
  10. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (04/05/06/07)
  11. Youngstown Ursuline (07/08/09/10)

Last edited:
If he was knocked unconscious and put back in one minute later, Moore and the entire staff should be fired and the administration resign for lack of control.
Just think of Triv and Trubisky. Never missed a play in the last few minutes and then went on to spend two weeks in a hospital.

Pretty sure thats Catrones dad so im gonna guess he would know or hes covering for his son.(dont take that the wrong way.)
No relation at all. Just known the kid along time. Had kids play sports with him over the years. I wasn't there but seen videos of play and looked pretty scary as he laid there on field motionless.

Schools with Three Consecutive Championship Game Appearances
(victories in bold)

Public
  1. Coldwater (09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16)
  2. Kenton (01/02/03)
  3. Kirtland (11/12/13/14/15, 17/18/19/20)
  4. Marion Local (11/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19)
  5. Massillon Washington (18/19/20)
  6. Mogadore (00/01/02)
  7. St. Henry (94/95/96)
  8. Steubenville (15/16/17)
  9. Trotwood-Madison (10/11/12/13)
  10. Versailles (93/94/95/96)
Non-Public
  1. Akron Archbishop Hoban (15/16/17/18)
  2. Canton Central Catholic (14/15/16)
  3. Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (75/76/77, 79/80/81/82)
  4. Cincinnati La Salle (14/15/16)
  5. Cleveland Benedictine (02/03/04)
  6. Cleveland St. Ignatius (91/92/93/94/95/96)
  7. Columbus St. Francis DeSales (96/97/98)
  8. Delphos St. John’s (97/98/99, 08/09/10)
  9. Newark Catholic (80/81/82/83/84/85/86/87)
  10. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (04/05/06/07)
  11. Youngstown Ursuline (07/08/09/10)

next years Massillon helmets are ??
masshelmet.jpg

Redwing, I’m with you about the Hoban kids being from Akron, but you can’t honestly think that more than a handful of those kids would be at Hoban if it wasn’t for football. Not many kids getting significant playing time attended traditional Catholic feeder schools like St Hilary, St Francis deSales, St Matthew and so on. Hoban pulls the kids from the non-feeder schools to - 1) play football at a high level, 2) get away from the Akron publics and 3) get a college scholarship.

And Tyrrell has done a fine job in all 3 categories. Also, the atmosphere of winning and holding players and each other to high standards helps many of these young men. The coaches and the program set the bar high and the kids strive to reach that high bar.
Curious how the Hoban community sees what the catalytic elements are for the recent run? Before Hoban, St. V's had a terrific run. And before St. V's, Walsh Jesuit did. Was it just the retirement of Coach Rardin giving way to Coach Boarman, who then retired? And then in comes Coach Tyrrell. Or was it more than just Tim? What other elements came together?

Tyrrell and his ability to get the top kids was the game changer. SVSM got top kids there for a while but never to the extent (numbers or geographically) that Hoban gets them. He also got the alums to buy in, in spirit and financially (e.g. the weight room). Add to that that he's a solid coach with a solid staff and you have the combination to create a dynasty.

It's no coincidence that SVSM is down while Hoban is up.

Massillon and Hoban more alike than different. Both have multiple D1 athletes, great facilities, community support and name recognition. It may be as simple as Tyrrell is just a little better at getting his kids to buy into his philosophies. Moore does this as well but Tyrrell's kids just step in and perform and stay focused. Also Hoban's schedules strong and actually lives out the "we'll play anyone, anywhere" credo as we just saw. Massillon used to but has stopped awhile back. It would be great to see Massillon to keep Iggy or Eds and schedule another in-state power during regular season (Avon, WW even Hoban) early on. Scheduling schools you can score 70-100 on isn't improving your program.

Massillon has done almost everything Hoban has done. Almost.

Right clarky, in a nutshell . I'd add also, back in the day we had some great Akron city football. I'll never forget our rivalry w/ Garfield. And of course Buchtel had some GREAT teams. Akron has always been a hotbed of talent. There was alot more parity then. Still a hotbed, but became more concentrated first w/ St. V for a few years till Hoban took over and as you say and widened the reach to new levels. Btw I don't consider either as the cause of city school's decline, but more as athletic beneficiaries.

Now take Massillon out of the equation so haters don't get their panties bunched. Whether you are WW or PC attracting outside talent, or the Avons and Mentors w/ their superior infrastructures, (and other very good public programs also), it is extremely difficult in the current environment to get as loaded as one needs across the board to run the table in the upper divisions. Numbers speak for themselves. And fantasies like winning 4 straight or 5 of 6 is as close to a statistical impossibility as getting hit by an asteroid.

That doesn't mean you cry, or throw accusations, as frustrating as it can be, it is simply an acknowledgement of reality. All you can do is keep trying and keep working, harder and harder. Stars will align eventually. As it just did for Chardon albeit D3. (Hoban bumps up, St. V taking a breather, DeSales extremely good but not USA Today good. I am THRILLED for them.

Curious how the Hoban community sees what the catalytic elements are for the recent run? Before Hoban, St. V's had a terrific run. And before St. V's, Walsh Jesuit did. Was it just the retirement of Coach Rardin giving way to Coach Boarman, who then retired? And then in comes Coach Tyrrell. Or was it more than just Tim? What other elements came together?
I was speaking to one of Del Medico's relatives he said Hoban has made conscious effort to draw from North Akron. That was back in 18. Seems they have done a great job of marketing the school and program.

Status
Not open for further replies.