D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the soccer title, I believe Ignatius is near the 40 mark, while Massillon remains a steady zero.
Great. It's kind of pathetic how much glee you take in Massillon losses. Yes, they're 0-6 in playoff title games.

6 runner ups is something most football programs in Ohio would love to display in their trophy cases.

And Ignatius should be good in all sports. Let's not pretend that the new focus on soccer isn't directly related to the titles. Same with the football program in the 90s and the hockey program now.

I'm proud of the school's accomplishments and don't think it diminishes them to acknowledge all our advantages.

There's obvious exceptions on the roster, but I think most people on here would be surprised to know just how many of the Hoban kids are from the Akron area. Having some of the advantages of a private school program doesn't guarantee you success, and certainly not at the level Hoban has achieved in recent years. Look at all the struggles a historic program like Moeller has had, they can't get out of their own way. Toledo CC has the largest CB # in D2 by far, and they haven't been able to get out of their own region the past few years. STVM has struggled to get back on track, and Lake Catholic had to fall all the way to D4 to find some relevancy again. Coaches are never going to turn away talent, but unless you have talented, committed coaches who can also build a culture that all the kids buy into from day 1, you don't have anything.
Agree but Kirk is one hell of transfer.

Same for Ignatius with QB Williams in 2011. Just to be fair.

Congratulations to Hoban, you dominated us in every phase of the game. We knew that if we couldn't establish the run it was going to be a long night. Now it's time to get back to work, circle the wagons and start the grind over. Not sure what it's going to take to get over in the championship game, I know a lot of you like to take shots at us for that. Like it or not we're never going to concede the pride we've got in our program and it's illustrious history.

I'm proud of the school's accomplishments and don't think it diminishes them to acknowledge all our advantages.

That's something both sides could do. It's a little disingenuous for either side in this game to not acknowledge that the geographic base of their talent pool gives them a significant advantage over the competition. Hoban's offensive MVP last night is from Austintown. Defensive MVP from Dublin. Massillon's best player last night was an Akron kid (just ask his shoes). It is all within the rules, but nonetheless that advantage has served both programs well.

I would feel sorry for Massillon but man their fan arrogance and how they do business just makes it so easy to dislike them.

tuAAH is not very likeable either but you choose the lesser of two evils in games like this.

So rooting for a 0-0 tie wasn't an option after all?

I don't think Moore was out coached. Hoban's players were dominant. Moore had a game manager at QB and Tyrrell had a game changer.

I've never been wrong..... my picks are infallible!
I've been asked to visit the Massillon locker room to pray before kickoff!
So sorry I said the wrong prayers in the locker room for Massillon before kickoff... by mistake, I gave the Tigers the prayer of the Last Rites! The last rites, in Catholicism, are the last prayers and ministrations given to individuals shortly before death. They may be administered to those awaiting execution.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Hoban, you dominated us in every phase of the game. We knew that if we couldn't establish the run it was going to be a long night. Now it's time to get back to work, circle the wagons and start the grind over. Not sure what it's going to take to get over in the championship game, I know a lot of you like to take shots at us for that. Like it or not we're never going to concede the pride we've got in our program and it's illustrious history.

You pretty much speak for all publics in the regard. Avon, Massillon, Barberton, WW, Hudson, Perry, Nordonia etc etc ... I don't know what it is going to take during this current private run either, however long it lasts, but you keep grinding and try to appreciate the efforts and successes along the way.

My big observation about Massillon is that after the first Hoban drive the Massillon defense was already walking and hanging their heads. They knew they were finished. Also surprised about the poor attitude the highly rated recruits of Massillon had. Where were they with the exception of a blown play? To me Moore needs to work on the attitude, they get hit in the mouth and fold. No toughness. Can talk the talk but they can’t walk the walk.

You pretty much speak for all publics in the regard. Avon, Massillon, Barberton, WW, Hudson, Perry, Nordonia etc etc ... I don't know what it is going to take during this current private run either, however long it lasts, but you keep grinding and try to appreciate the efforts and successes along the way.
All in the state championship as a goal every year club will regroup and take their best shot again. That will include Hoban, Massillon, LaSalle, Winton Woods, Toledo CC, Avon, Perry, etc.

If the regions don’t radically change R6 will feature Avon, Toledo CC, Barberton and Anthony Wayne as the favorites. Will Hoban await again in R5?

That's something both sides could do. It's a little disingenuous for either side in this game to not acknowledge that the geographic base of their talent pool gives them a significant advantage over the competition. Hoban's offensive MVP last night is from Austintown. Defensive MVP from Dublin. Massillon's best player last night was an Akron kid (just ask his shoes). It is all within the rules, but nonetheless that advantage has served both programs well.
Avon’s complete roster is Avon. Yes, to have the ability to enroll kids from beyond your borders is a huge advantage, but only if taken advantage of by programs who can develop and coach up the players. Avon routinely beats open enrollment publics and privates in the playoffs. It’s only when you combine the geographical advantages with vision and development where you find teams that are hard to beat.

Avon’s complete roster is Avon. Yes, to have the ability to enroll kids from beyond your borders is a huge advantage, but only if taken advantage of by programs who can develop and coach up the players. Avon routinely beats open enrollment publics and privates in the playoffs. It’s only when you combine the geographical advantages with vision and development where you find teams that are hard to beat.

That is true cjb. Avon as well as most the aforementioned publics do also, and are routinely strong. Championship caliber however is a bird of a different feather.

Btw, at least in these parts, closed enrollment programs also get multiple transfers, but they must move-in and do not count toward CB. Idk Avon's situation. Most closed-enrollment districts do so because they have demographically strong communities with good growth and have to manage capacity issues. So you can call that a blessing or a curse. Massillon, Canton, (o/e Perry to a lesser extent) have experienced loss of good paying jobs over the years and dwindling enrollments. Allowing students out but not in wouldn't be a good recipe as a matter of survival. The city of Canton has consolidated from 4 schools down to 2 and now to 1. And they are now considering open enrollment also. In the 90's that was unthinkable, nor remotely possible.

My big observation about Massillon is that after the first Hoban drive the Massillon defense was already walking and hanging their heads. They knew they were finished. Also surprised about the poor attitude the highly rated recruits of Massillon had. Where were they with the exception of a blown play? To me Moore needs to work on the attitude, they get hit in the mouth and fold. No toughness. Can talk the talk but they can’t walk the walk.

Wow. I remember thinking it was over at 14-0 but not 7-0.

Catrone played as expected. You can't ask him to do more than that.

Why you have a thing for catrone? Did his family wrong you in the past? That kid has more heart than any kid I've ever known! Played all season with a separated throwing shoulder and was knocked unconscious last night. Kid is a gamer that had some bad luck over the season. Kudos to all the kids for playing hard til the end last night. We were completely overwhelmed on the lines last night. Can't do much when you drop back and plant your feet and 3 guys on you instantly. Ask Tom Brady in the superbowl when the giants beat them with a great d-line. Coaches needed to run quicker routes but our D1 receivers dont run those kind of routes

That is true cjb. Avon as well as most the aforementioned publics do also, and are routinely strong. Championship caliber however is a bird of a different feather.

Btw, at least in these parts, closed enrollment programs also get multiple transfers, but they must move-in and do not count toward CB. Idk Avon's situation. Most closed-enrollment districts do so because they have demographically strong communities with good growth and have to manage capacity issues. So you can call that a blessing or a curse. Massillon, Canton, (o/e Perry to a lesser extent) have experienced loss of good paying jobs over the years and dwindling enrollments. Allowing students out but not in wouldn't be a good recipe as a matter of survival. The city of Canton has consolidated from 4 schools down to 2 and now to 1. And they are now considering open enrollment also. In the 90's that was unthinkable, nor remotely possible.
When Avon built the current HS for the anticipated growth they were D5 in football and had open enrollment for a couple years just to fill up the school a little before Avon kids numbered enough to do it, but it’s been closed enrollment since. The leap from D5 to D2 happened in one decade. Heck, Avon played Coldwater in the playoffs in 2004. By 2010 they were in the D2 playoffs and in 2011 they were the D2 state runner up to Trotwood-Madison...who was every bit as good as these Hoban teams, perhaps even more talented.

Avon athletics benefit greatly from getting the sons and daughters of formerly great athletes from Lorain, Elyria and other places that were excellent sports factories back in the day, but are a shell of what they once were. You see the names and you remember how good those dads and moms were back in the day. Genetics and parents with high expectations helps a lot.

They are reminiscing of
Wow. I remember thinking it was over at 14-0 but not 7-0.
I had noticed that too. Good thing Hoban's running back #21 wasn't 100 percent healthy. It would have been worst. He had played the last 3 games with a grade 3 MCL injury.

Why you have a thing for catrone? Did his family wrong you in the past? That kid has more heart than any kid I've ever known! Played all season with a separated throwing shoulder and was knocked unconscious last night. Kid is a gamer that had some bad luck over the season. Kudos to all the kids for playing hard til the end last night. We were completely overwhelmed on the lines last night. Can't do much when you drop back and plant your feet and 3 guys on you instantly. Ask Tom Brady in the superbowl when the giants beat them with a great d-line. Coaches needed to run quicker routes but our D1 receivers dont run those kind of routes

Wait, are you saying Catrone was knocked unconscious? If I recall he didn't miss a play. (I'm just going by the OHSAA.org play by play)
He should have missed the rest of the game.

From Chris Easterling:

Shane Hamm, who has quarterbacked Hoban to three titles in his four-year career, threw four touchdown passes in the game — two to Kharion Davis. Hamm also accounted for a score rushing for the Knights, who finished the season 11-0.

Hamm finished the game 9-of-10 passing for 172 yards with the four TDs and one interception.

What do the think hamms numbers would have looked like if he was the qb for Massillon last night going against that hoban defense? I dont want to discredit hamm as he has had a tremendous career. Hats off to that young man.

Tough to play hypotheticals but my guess is a four year starter for Hoban had enough talent to do better if roles were reversed. If Hamm were the Massillon QB your whole offense would be different.

Wait, are you saying Catrone was knocked unconscious? If I recall he didn't miss a play. (I'm just going by the OHSAA.org play by play)
He should have missed the rest of the game.
Watch the videos of it and make your own conclusions. Massillon called a timeout after crable went in. So he didn't miss a play

Status
Not open for further replies.