D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Massillon will be back. They do too good of a job of attracting talent not to be. Nobody on the D2 public side does it better. Unfortunately, Hoban does it from an even greater base on the private side.

Yes, they recruit better than anyone, that's why they are blackballed from all leagues in NE Ohio. I have no doubts they will be competitive, but they wont have the talent that was squandered the past three years, unless they bring in some top tiered recruits. It's a catch 22, if they do that, then they have zero chance of league affiliation. As I have stated before, if Massillon has to play Massillon kids they are a 6-7 win team based on their previous schedules.

Massillon fans have to be wondering, will they ever win a legitimate state title on the field. This will mark 48 years of playoff football and the Tigers have never been able to breakthrough to win a title on the field. They have brought in numerous players from other schools districts, brought in a high priced coach, but still have failed. The last three years were probably the best opportunity for the Tigers to win a title with the sheer talent they had on the roster, that window is closing. After Tyrell completely schooled Moore tonight, the Tiger fans have to be questioning the ability of their high priced coach. This game was a demolition, Hoban completely manhandled the Tigers on the field, the interior lines were a mess for the Tigers tonight, and the play calling both offensively and on defense were bad.....at least the Tiger fans can once again say they won the alternate reality Federal League, but they are now 0 for 48 in the playoffs...WAR HOBAN

I mean this person isn’t wrong.Moore’s gotten outcoached all 3 years in the finals and especially tonight

Akron Hoban puts a dominating beat down on Massillon!! BTW, Massillon's WRs....undisciplined and soft. Ballard most over-rated player that I've ever witnessed in high school football. Ohio State coaches will have their hands full with that clown!
Correct. I love Massillon and I agree Ballard won’t see the field down there

Can someone tell me what time Massillons varsity team plans on coming to the game tonight?? We just beat their JV team so we are ready for that beat down they were gonna give us ....
#10 50 wins 3 rings and 5 touchdowns tonight .... when Massillon gets on our level maybe then they won’t look so stupid claiming a win before even stepping on the field!! #WARHOBAN

Massillon functions similar to a Catholic school, they take kids from anywhere because they couldn't win with their home grown talent. They have had transfers from as far away as Cincinnati, they have been ostracized by every local school for poaching, you can see on the Ohio High School Athletic Association site just how many the Tigers have imported, it's reaching a point where they will be forced up to D1 because of the volume. The Tigers fans will always come back that school X recruited a softball player, so it's just not them, the problem is that outside of football, the Tigers sports programs suck, they generally play down two levels in off sports and still stink.
You’re right Hoban didn’t recruit anybody on there roster the last 6-7 years..

Good Win Hoban. Back in the 2003 2004 2005 you were a Classy
Program. That part of Hoban is Clearly Long Gone.
You should have watched New Bremen Today. Now that’s a classy
Program with disciplined Kids. Heck your the Transfer Capital of Ohio
High School Football. Hope you can keep it going. Watch out Karma May be in
The Closet.
No Massillon is just as bad. Massillon has had transfers from Akron the last several years. Plus remember this Avon and Hudson had gave them a tougher game. Massillon is just a paper tiger with terrible and delusional adult fans

Can someone tell me what time Massillons varsity team plans on coming to the game tonight?? We just beat their JV team so we are ready for that beat down they were gonna give us ....
#10 50 wins 3 rings and 5 touchdowns tonight .... when Massillon gets on our level maybe then they won’t look so stupid claiming a win before even stepping on the field!! #WARHOBAN
OK, now go back and get my fries, please. Kid.

You’re right Hoban didn’t recruit anybody on there roster the last 6-7 years..
There's obvious exceptions on the roster, but I think most people on here would be surprised to know just how many of the Hoban kids are from the Akron area. Having some of the advantages of a private school program doesn't guarantee you success, and certainly not at the level Hoban has achieved in recent years. Look at all the struggles a historic program like Moeller has had, they can't get out of their own way. Toledo CC has the largest CB # in D2 by far, and they haven't been able to get out of their own region the past few years. STVM has struggled to get back on track, and Lake Catholic had to fall all the way to D4 to find some relevancy again. Coaches are never going to turn away talent, but unless you have talented, committed coaches who can also build a culture that all the kids buy into from day 1, you don't have anything.

Tiger fans are silent, because they are either highly intoxicated, or they have come to realize that the window has closed on them. Give them 24 hours and they will be back, and they will be hyping that they are the alternative Federal League Champs, that's all they have. They know in their hearts that they have never won a legit title on the field, they are similar to Nebraska in college football, that won a couple of AP titles but has done nothing once they were forced to win a legit title. Massillon has won zero state titles that were earned on the field, they know that outside of football they have zero chance of winning anything, they can't even win a District in any other sport. If Massillon was forced to use only Massillon school district players they are a 6-7 game winner most seasons, they don't have the talent in the feeder system and this has been the case for the last five years. The actual people that have brains in Massillon like the Athletic Director, realize Massillon desperately needs to be in a league, but they have been weighed twice by the Federal League and rejected, and they recently applied to the Suburban and were dismissed without considerations. Im all for them joining the FED, but they have basically been blackballed by every league in NE Ohio for their lack of control of the program.
They do have a beautiful field though ....

There's obvious exceptions on the roster, but I think most people on here would be surprised to know just how many of the Hoban kids are from the Akron area. Having some of the advantages of a private school program doesn't guarantee you success, and certainly not at the level Hoban has achieved in recent years. Look at all the struggles a historic program like Moeller has had, they can't get out of their own way. Toledo CC has the largest CB # in D2 by far, and they haven't been able to get out of their own region the past few years. STVM has struggled to get back on track, and Lake Catholic had to fall all the way to D4 to find some relevancy again. Coaches are never going to turn away talent, but unless you have talented, committed coaches who can also build a culture that all the kids buy into from day 1, you don't have anything.
Redwing, I’m with you about the Hoban kids being from Akron, but you can’t honestly think that more than a handful of those kids would be at Hoban if it wasn’t for football. Not many kids getting significant playing time attended traditional Catholic feeder schools like St Hilary, St Francis deSales, St Matthew and so on. Hoban pulls the kids from the non-feeder schools to - 1) play football at a high level, 2) get away from the Akron publics and 3) get a college scholarship.

And Tyrrell has done a fine job in all 3 categories. Also, the atmosphere of winning and holding players and each other to high standards helps many of these young men. The coaches and the program set the bar high and the kids strive to reach that high bar.

Redwing, I’m with you about the Hoban kids being from Akron, but you can’t honestly think that more than a handful of those kids would be at Hoban if it wasn’t for football. Not many kids getting significant playing time attended traditional Catholic feeder schools like St Hilary, St Francis deSales, St Matthew and so on. Hoban pulls the kids from the non-feeder schools to - 1) play football at a high level, 2) get away from the Akron publics and 3) get a college scholarship.

And Tyrrell has done a fine job in all 3 categories. Also, the atmosphere of winning and holding players and each other to high standards helps many of these young men. The coaches and the program set the bar high and the kids strive to reach that high bar.
Class post. Thanks for putting some semblance of logic into this idiocy.

24 state titles
ok s
OHSAA rigs it for the Paper Tigers to play at home and they get their derrière kicked again. LOL

Yes I agree with a lot of what you said. But when you say “Akron area” that’s a big area to choose kids from. Much larger than what public schools choose from and I think that right there is the reason people get upset about private schools. Kudos to Hoban on building a dynasty though. It is truly remarkable.

Unfortunately, those CYO feeder school programs are just a skeleton of what they used to be. The 2015, 2016 and 2017 teams still had their fair share of kids from those programs who were significant contributors. I'm sure they'd love to have more of those kids, they just barely exist anymore. Still, regardless of what school system you come from, you have to put in the work in the classroom and on the field, or you don't get to stay. There were two kids on the field for Massillon tonight that are examples of that. My whole point was to counter the lazy take that Hoban is combing every corner of the state for players, when it's not accurate.

We can all talk until we are blue in the face about all this where kids come from and how they got to their respective schools.....But Hoban dominated every aspect of this game. They deserve credit. Cream of the crop in ohio football. I suggest a national flavor to that schedule. Both teams got what they deserved.
Thats life,,we all get what we deserve.
What your willing to accept is what you deserve. Pray Jaiden Wise is ok.
And let's just be grateful we got through this covid season and that our great country gets through it's dark season also.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.

From Chris Easterling:

Shane Hamm, who has quarterbacked Hoban to three titles in his four-year career, threw four touchdown passes in the game — two to Kharion Davis. Hamm also accounted for a score rushing for the Knights, who finished the season 11-0.

Hamm finished the game 9-of-10 passing for 172 yards with the four TDs and one interception.

Another observation that no one has spoken about since pregame was the kicking game/special teams. May not have made much of a difference tonight but worth reviewing.

Massillon Punter 6 for 44.8 avg
Hoban punter 3 for 44.7 avg

Massillon missed xtra point due to an sportsmanship penalty by #11 (ex Hoban player) after Massillon scores.

Punt returns
Massillon 0-0
Hoban 1-5

Kick returns
Massillon 3-45
Hoban 2-40

After reading all of the posts about the Massillon Punter I thought I was going to see booming punts of 50 plus yards. Most of his punts were less than spectacular and didn't help Massillon on field position at all.

Hoban punter kicked it away from #11 and were at an equal distance of Massillon punter.

Catrone was under pressure all night and finished 7-18 for 104 yards and an INT. Massillon was held to season lows of 32 yards rushing and 136 total yards.

Cheering for Hoban in the 2000s is like cheering for the Lions against the Christians in ancient Rome. I'd rather listen to 1000 Massillon honks than 1 Hoban apologist.
Your entire team is pillaged from the 4-5 surrounding counties & the feeder systems of other schools. Really should think about changing the school mascot to the Raiders. Or maybe Barbarians. Knights seems a little too dignified for y'all
So is Massillon ?‍♂️

Another observation that no one has spoken about since pregame was the kicking game/special teams. May not have made much of a difference tonight but worth reviewing.

Massillon Punter 6 for 44.8 avg
Hoban punter 3 for 44.7 avg

Massillon missed xtra point due to an sportsmanship penalty by #11 (ex Hoban player) after Massillon scores.

Punt returns
Massillon 0-0
Hoban 1-5

Kick returns
Massillon 3-45
Hoban 2-40

After reading all of the posts about the Massillon Punter I thought I was going to see booming punts of 50 plus yards. Most of his punts were less than spectacular and didn't help Massillon on field position at all.

Hoban punter kicked it away from #11 and were at an equal distance of Massillon punter.
Yeah he had an off night punting it happens. Last year against Hoban he flipped field position the entire night. Huge reason for helping get the win against them last year.

Bottom line is we got our kicked by a better team. Some of you guys ( not necessarily you) can pile on and have fun trying to tear down a program that has an excellent head coach and a bunch of great kids. Over the last 4 years we have beaten a lot of excellent football teams. We’ve sent numerous kids to college probably more than any other 4 year span in the history of the school. 3 straight state finals appearances. 4 straight state semifinals appearances. 4 straight regional championships. And we don’t look like we are going away anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.