D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Tigers. I think all people who love high school football are rooting for you. Say what you want about Massillon, but no one can deny the dedication and passion that Massillon puts into its team. While other public school programs are shrinking, Massillon still gets great numbers out for the team. The community still comes out to the games, and the sons of Massillon still play football. Going to a game in Massillon is special. When you pull in and see and hear the kaleidoscope playing in front of the stadium and the tiger cub in its cage, you get a throwback feel that is disappearing. The Tigers' band is great. It's exciting to be there. When I was growing up in Youngstown, we would routinely get over 8,000 a game. Fitch is lucky to draw half of that today. Massillon still gets the crowds. In order to compete with the big parochial schools, they have even built their own indoor facility. I do think this is Massillon's game to win. Football games are won in the trenches, and Massillon's line is probably their best line in the past. The running back is a best, and the QB is really settling in and playing really well when he needs to. The defense is great. Ed's was lucky to beat the Tigers, so if people point to that game as a measuring stick because Hoban killed them, they need to look elsewhere. Ed's hit a couple of big plays that. That coupled with poor red zone management got them the win. In fact, I think the blowout Hoban got probably had a lot to do with the physical beating Ed's took because of the game they had with Massillon. Moore is the coach to get this done. This team changed when he took over. They are clearly a better team with better player development. All I have to say to the Massillon kids is to play the game you are capable of. Don't worry about the pressure. You guys go out and do what you have done the past two years and you will be state champions.

Good luck Tigers. I think all people who love high school football are rooting for you. Say what you want about Massillon, but no one can deny the dedication and passion that Massillon puts into its team. While other public school programs are shrinking, Massillon still gets great numbers out for the team. The community still comes out to the games, and the sons of Massillon still play football. Going to a game in Massillon is special. When you pull in and see and hear the kaleidoscope playing in front of the stadium and the tiger cub in its cage, you get a throwback feel that is disappearing. The Tigers' band is great. It's exciting to be there. When I was growing up in Youngstown, we would routinely get over 8,000 a game. Fitch is lucky to draw half of that today. Massillon still gets the crowds. In order to compete with the big parochial schools, they have even built their own indoor facility. I do think this is Massillon's game to win. Football games are won in the trenches, and Massillon's line is probably their best line in the past. The running back is a best, and the QB is really settling in and playing really well when he needs to. The defense is great. Ed's was lucky to beat the Tigers, so if people point to that game as a measuring stick because Hoban killed them, they need to look elsewhere. Ed's hit a couple of big plays that. That coupled with poor red zone management got them the win. In fact, I think the blowout Hoban got probably had a lot to do with the physical beating Ed's took because of the game they had with Massillon. Moore is the coach to get this done. This team changed when he took over. They are clearly a better team with better player development. All I have to say to the Massillon kids is to play the game you are capable of. Don't worry about the pressure. You guys go out and do what you have done the past two years and you will be state champions.
Uh oh. I like Falguin, but every time he’s ever picked against Avon on a Yappi thread over the years the Eagles have won. He may have just given Hoban some good juju - haha

After watching the Hoban Avon game I have to say Massillon and Hoban are almost mirror images of each other. They both utilize the run game to pound the ball and control the clock with the pass being used to keep the defense from loading up the box. Both have big fast defenses that can shutdown most running games. Very good DB’s That can cover and come up and support the run. Both kicking games are good. This game could end up low scoring. I don’t see either team blowing the other off the field. Going to be a war.

I think you guys are exactly right on this being a low scoring contest. I just set under/overs for the championship games for the Summit County Pick 'em and set this game as the lowest under/over at 41.5.

Given last year's game, and the LaSalle game Friday, seems like a good prediction. What can be said about Hoban that hasn't been said the last 5 years? Will take another incredible effort. Back-to-back "upsets" over LaSalle/Hoban at their dominant peaks would be an epic statement. Tense week for trolls.

Last edited:
HOPEFULLY TIGERS' FINALLY GET ONE ON THE FIELD.
CAN'T WAIT FOR KICKOFF.
HARTSON - DAWSON.
CATRONE - HAMM.
TIGER RECEIVING CORP - HOBAN 'D'.
TIGER 'D' ONE OF BEST IN STATE.
DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS.

Massillon JACKSON FINISHES 5-5 AND LOSE 3 GAMES BY THE SAME 14-13 SCORE.
DECENT RECORD FOR A "GOOD", NOT GREAT HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL PROGRAM.
NO EMBARASSMENT TO THE Massillon COMMUNITY.

I like the cut of your jib GaryDaddy. I also hope Massillon finally wins one on the field! This comin from a diehard BlueStreak fan! But their community deserves it! Ive met some Massillon fans over the years that would rather have a touch of that elusive trophy than the touch of a woman! I want to see them get it done! Stark County sticks together and got to respect what Coach Moore has done there!

Lake and Jackson also good programs! Dig it!

I like the cut of your jib GaryDaddy. I also hope Massillon finally wins one on the field! This comin from a diehard BlueStreak fan! But their community deserves it! Ive met some Massillon fans over the years that would rather have a touch of that elusive trophy than the touch of a woman! I want to see them get it done! Stark County sticks together and got to respect what Coach Moore has done there!

Lake and Jackson also good programs! Dig it!
"rather... than the touch of a woman." They either are with the wrong lady or prefer the company of a man.

********please give this years champions of the COVID football season************plenty of asterisk for whoever wins. This year will hold as much merit as a AP press poll champion of the 60's

********please give this years champions of the COVID football season************plenty of asterisk for whoever wins. This year will hold as much merit as a AP press poll champion of the 60's
I disagree in the case of D2. These D2 state semi teams were all predicted to be here. LaSalle lost Payne to injury not Covid. If everybody on Mass and Hoban varsity are eligible to play in the big game, no asterisks on this one.

Yet, the team you support is insignificant. Plus, that won’t be changing in the foreseeable future.

Why? Please elaborate for those of us that are uneducated.

I don’t know this years Hoban team. I expect them to play hard clean football and have lots of talent and discipline.

Go Tigers! Though we can’t bring 15,000 fans to the stadium the whole city is behind you.

This has got to be seen as a advantage for hoban (or at least nullifies the disadvantage), right? Instead of massilon usual huge rowdy crowd, there will only be 750.

Yet nearly all the finals games, with the exception of Van Wert/MLC, are as expected. I think that's pretty strong support for the legitimacy of the system. The cream has risen to the top, like the teams or not.

Cool it man! No way there is an asterisk on this season. These kids played hard under difficult circumstances no one could have imagined. Whoever wins it this year has earned it! You can take that to the bank!

It wasn’t against Lasalle and there were only about 400 Tigers fans.

I don't follow. You are saying if you could have played LaSalle at Benson (or at Ohio Stadium) with 6000 massilon fans it would not have been an advantage for massilon? Or are you saying the 400 were so rabid that they sounded like 6000 cheering "TIG"? I would think that regardless of who they play besides mckinley maybe, massilon will always bring 2-3 times as many fans and will be much louder. The fact that they can only bring the same number of fans as their opponent would seem to me to nullify that usual advantage. But I'm just an outsider looking in.

I don't follow. You are saying if you could have played LaSalle at Benson (or at Ohio Stadium) with 6000 massilon fans it would not have been an advantage for massilon? Or are you saying the 400 were so rabid that they sounded like 6000 cheering "TIG"? I would think that regardless of who they play besides mckinley maybe, massilon will always bring 2-3 times as many fans and will be much louder. The fact that they can only bring the same number of fans as their opponent would seem to me to nullify that usual advantage. But I'm just an outsider looking in.
I’m saying there were only 400 Tiger fans at the Lasalle game and they won, there were only about 275 at Perry and they won. If the games were won and lost just based on the # of fans in the stands the Tigers would have lost very few at least in the last 70 years or so.

Here we have an adult trying to negate the accomplishments of teenagers who have overcome even more than many past champions to be where they are. For the internet jollies I suppose?

Disagree... in some ways it was more earned. Early postseason 4 games earlier than normal, All teams qualified, overcoming not only injuries like every other year, but also quarantines.

no way this years state champs get asterisks.

Status
Not open for further replies.