D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing that stands out to me is how each team handled St Ed’s - Massillon lost a tight one and Hoban walked all over them.

Last edited:
The other thing that stands out to me is how each team handled St Ed’s - Massellon lost a tight one and Hogan walked all over them.
Those games were a long time ago and will have no bearing on Friday night. Unless you think Hoban will win by 35.

RB Kiner is having a solid season and the team has a shot at winning D5. Sounds relevant to me.
Off topic but interesting football so I digress with you...kiner a preseason me football candidate is a monster... Reid carrico a monster...a match up worth paying for....

But let's be real ...either team has to play the calculus teacher and I don't see either beating him.

Back to topic thanks for allowing us to disrupt your petty arguments ..back at it..

Watched the Hoban Avon game on tape. Has Massillon seen a D line & LBs like Hobans? Avon stuck in remarkably considering that they hardly slowed down the pass rush every down. IF Massillon can block this D, I think they have a shot.
No one has...they are the best. Our kids have size talent and aren't sloppy fat...they look like athletes.. they are well drilled and we'll coached unlike the olay leasure years.

If anyone can block them...it would be us

Observation after watching Hoban in person most of the season. QB is a smart, tough and a winner. Has a chance to go 50-3 career with a win this Friday. Very good and deep in the backfield with 2-3 horses who can tote the rock. Receiver's can make some plays when needed but the bread and butter will be on the ground. QB Hamm will take some shots deep 4-5 times a game but keeps it pretty controlled with accuracy and good decision making.

Defense is nasty. 10 returning starters and Add AJ Kirk Michigan State commit? This is where game will be decided. If Massillon can run the ball successfully, 200 plus, the tigers will win. I believe Hoban will commit to stopping the run and make the QB beat them. I know how good the receivers are, Martavian being the best of the bunch, but you have to pick your poison and hope you don't give up the big play more than once. kicking game definitely goes to Massillon with their Punter, OL's are pretty close to a draw from what I read, but Hoban's defense can be special as they showed against Ed's. Discipline has been an issue with a lot of penalties. Avon doesn't score unless Hoban gives them 130 plus yards in penalties. This could come into play if coach T doesn't address it.

Speaking of Coaches I give the edge to Hoban. Not just head coach but entire staff. Yes I am biased and it's only my opinion. Hoban DC Parnell is at the top of HS coaches at his position. Half time adjustments will critical. In saying that I have tremendous respect for what Coach Moore has done at Massillon. Their program is in good hands.

I hope and pray for a great game and that everyone is healthy to play and enjoy what can be the experience of a lifetime. Good Luck to both teams and fan base.

Since you mentioned Avon. I have to give them a hand for the game they played vs. Hoban yesterday. They came to play. They gave Hoban everything they had and had Hoban on the ropes. When it happened I was not in favor of it and I am still not. With about 1:30 left in the half and Avon had a 4th and 10 from about the Hoban 40, they should have punted and went in to halftime happy down 7-0. Instead they went for it, didn't get it, left Hoban plenty of time, and Hoban went down and got 7 with about :13 seconds in the half. That was huge. But either way, It was a great game to watch and I truly give the Avon coach a lot of credit. They went toe to toe with a team with much more overall talent. Also the Avon Qb played extremely well. Not only did he play well at QB, he was a tackling machine from the safety position. That kid is a stud. Avon did expose Hoban some. I expect the Hoban vs. Massillon game to be close and and won late in the game or overtime. Prayers that neither team gets hit with Covid, and that both teams come out of the game injury free.
Well said

Observation after watching Hoban in person most of the season. QB is a smart, tough and a winner. Has a chance to go 50-3 career with a win this Friday. Very good and deep in the backfield with 2-3 horses who can tote the rock. Receiver's can make some plays when needed but the bread and butter will be on the ground. QB Hamm will take some shots deep 4-5 times a game but keeps it pretty controlled with accuracy and good decision making.

Defense is nasty. 10 returning starters and Add AJ Kirk Michigan State commit? This is where game will be decided. If Massillon can run the ball successfully, 200 plus, the tigers will win. I believe Hoban will commit to stopping the run and make the QB beat them. I know how good the receivers are, Martavian being the best of the bunch, but you have to pick your poison and hope you don't give up the big play more than once. kicking game definitely goes to Massillon with their Punter, OL's are pretty close to a draw from what I read, but Hoban's defense can be special as they showed against Ed's. Discipline has been an issue with a lot of penalties. Avon doesn't score unless Hoban gives them 130 plus yards in penalties. This could come into play if coach T doesn't address it.

Speaking of Coaches I give the edge to Hoban. Not just head coach but entire staff. Yes I am biased and it's only my opinion. Hoban DC Parnell is at the top of HS coaches at his position. Half time adjustments will critical. In saying that I have tremendous respect for what Coach Moore has done at Massillon. Their program is in good hands.

I hope and pray for a great game and that everyone is healthy to play and enjoy what can be the experience of a lifetime. Good Luck to both teams and fan base.
Great analysis...take a bow ..football talk..

Good luck to you and yours...

The Hoban front 7 best I've seen in years...dbs not far behind...particularly little Doss...

If there is an OL that can block the unlockable...it's ours...they are big strong and lean...well drilled and coached...

Losing our top two running backs may have been a blessing... Hartson is a beast with burst .. love the way he runs..like jamir thomas with speed.

Catrone has the arm to make all the throws but lacks the intangibles Aiden had.
The defense though not Hoban...is really good.. watch the film of LaSalle...Martavien was ridiculous ... Clark is a stud ...the front 7 is very good. Hard to miss a tackle you put 5 hats on the ball.... Woullard and Miller don't need to pay for college either...DTs are big and athletic.

Oh and despite Zach not being the best qb in Tiger history...we got spoiled...we still have far and away the best receiving core in the nation...don't let them get space...

I too give edge to Hoban staff...my 1 and ONLY criticism of more is poor/lack of halftime adjustments

Oh and hey ... anyone notice we got a sheegog in the sophomore class....they aren't ghosts awakening...they are just grandkids and great grandkids trying to make it to the big kid table

A crable...lots of legacies there..

And a couple of newbies sprinkled in legacies of their own like Lenix Jr...may get a spot on states best 4 by 1

Future is bright.

Calling my shot now...Tigers win 4 x 100.. if the fascist Biden doesn't lock everything down ...for my own good...smh

Only way to get immunity to flu is catch it. Avg age covid death 78 avg age american death......78....for this we wrecked our improving economy...

Way to go Mah rick ah

Oh and despite Zach not being the best qb in Tiger history...we got spoiled...we still have far and away the best receiving core in the nation...don't let them get space...

I too give edge to Hoban staff...my 1 and ONLY criticism of more is poor/lack of halftime adjustments
I've heard people that know a lot more about the Xs and Os than I do say with the tools they have on the sidelines now they don't have to wait until halftime to make adjustments.

I’m going with Massillon Washington to pull the upset here and get their first tournament state championship. I think a late score give them the win. I’ll go with:

Massillon Washington 24
Hoban 21

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.