D-1 125 rankings

Pile Driver

Just curious on everyone’s opinion. If Iowa does end up burning Spencer Lee’s redshirt this year, where do you think he’ll be ranked in the initial polls and where will he end the year?

A buddy of mine is a huge Iowa fan and I believe Lee is the next coming of Logan Steiber and will be a 4x champ. He hopes I’m right!!!

Thoughts?

Why not use the red shirt to get that knee together, if it's not already and get acclimated to the academics of college. He may be a 4time or multiple champ, but what will he do when he's done with wrestling?

In the initial polls? He won't be ranked I don't think. Best win Jimenez, only three matches in college.

Where he will end up is a different question. I think Spencer Lee is talented enough to win NCAAs this year. He is absolutely a monster from top and his leg attacks are some of the best in the country already. I think only Suriano, Tomasello and Cruz can beat him, I don't think he will have trouble with Piccinnini or Lizak.

And I think Spencer Lee will be done with wrestling whenever he wants to be. He is amazing in freestyle and will be the Olympic team favorite in 2020

It would awful stupid of Iowa to burn his redshirt this year imo. Iowa is after national titles and they clearly aren't getting one of those this year given OSU and PSU's squads. Honestly he might be my favorite to win the title if he goes, kid is that good.

fact, nate tomasello is winning in cleveland, everyone else including spencer lee is fighting for 2nd. Go Bucks! I personally think it would not benefit iowa or oakie state to burn the redshirts of lee and fix at this time. as neither team is relevant this year.

Agree that neither Lee nor Fix should forfeit the redshirt year because of the extreme longshot nature of their teams' chances.

While I don't know who would be the favorite in any particular match between NaTo and Lee / Suriano /Fix, I would take "the field" over NaTo at NCAAs if all those guys were in it.

As far as where he'd be ranked, I think he'd climb up the ladder pretty quickly to a top 8 or so with a strong Midlands performance. Now, if he starts knocking off people like NaTo (which I don't believe he will), Suriano (probably not) and Lizak (maybe) he'll shoot up higher. I agree with other posts that say he will probably redshirt since Iowa has zero chance to win a title this year, and he has the knee thing going on. If he wrestles in Midlands, he'll likely face Suriano, and a win in that match puts him in the top 4 IMO.

Sometimes I think NaTo doesn't get the respect he deserves. He won a title as a freshman, then goes undefeated the next two years before losing in the semis and taking 3rd. Last summer he lost to Gilman in the World Trials on a last second TD, and Gilman goes on to win a Silver Medal at the Worlds. That's a pretty good resume for NaTo. Hopefully he caps off his outstanding college career with another NCAA title.

That being said, I do believe the new crop of young guns at 125 are special (Fix, Suriano and Lee). I wonder if any will stay at 125 or move up to 133.

As far as where he'd be ranked, I think he'd climb up the ladder pretty quickly to a top 8 or so with a strong Midlands performance. Now, if he starts knocking off people like NaTo (which I don't believe he will), Suriano (probably not) and Lizak (maybe) he'll shoot up higher. I agree with other posts that say he will probably redshirt since Iowa has zero chance to win a title this year, and he has the knee thing going on. If he wrestles in Midlands, he'll likely face Suriano, and a win in that match puts him in the top 4 IMO.

Sometimes I think NaTo doesn't get the respect he deserves. He won a title as a freshman, then goes undefeated the next two years before losing in the semis and taking 3rd. Last summer he lost to Gilman in the World Trials on a last second TD, and Gilman goes on to win a Silver Medal at the Worlds. That's a pretty good resume for NaTo. Hopefully he caps off his outstanding college career with another NCAA title.

That being said, I do believe the new crop of young guns at 125 are special (Fix, Suriano and Lee). I wonder if any will stay at 125 or move up to 133.

31 wins over AA's (Youtseyx5, Micicx4, Moiseyx3, Megaludisx2, Richardsx2, Montoyax2, Dance, Peters, Conaway, Lizak, Gilman, Delgado, Waters, Parker, Millhof, Russell, Terao, Clark, Eierman) in his career . Not too shabby

Just curious on everyone’s opinion. If Iowa does end up burning Spencer Lee’s redshirt this year, where do you think he’ll be ranked in the initial polls and where will he end the year?

A buddy of mine is a huge Iowa fan and I believe Lee is the next coming of Logan Steiber and will be a 4x champ. He hopes I’m right!!!

Thoughts?

I would let him win one title before putting him in the 4x camp. If he is redshirting this year he misses NaTo, but still has Fix and Suriano if they stay down. And he's rehabbing a bad knee.

There are many likely 4x'ers coming out of HS that missed that goal by one, two, three or four titles.

After watching Lee dominate in his first tournament back, it seems that the knee is fully healed. I personally would not rank Lee in the top 20 until he knocks off someone else in the top 20. Obviously he is one of the elite competitors at the weight, but at least wait until he beats some guys before you toss him to the top of the rankings. I think if they pulled his redshirt he would be the favorite to win the title come March. This is no disrespect to Nato or Suriano whom are both incredible wrestlers. Lee just looks to be fully healthy for the first time in awhile and is simply on another level. I would also take Nato over Suriano. Lee will give Nato trouble on the mat much like Clark did. While Iowa would benefit from Lee's redshirt being pulled, it would not make sense to pull Daton's with Picc and Brock already there.

If the Hawks can roll out this lineup... they can place top 3 in Cleveland.

125- Spencer Lee
133- Phillip Laux
141- Carter Happel / Vince Turk
149- Brandon Sorenson
157- Michael Kemerer
165- Alex Marinelli
174- Kaleb Young
184- Pat Downey
197- Jacob Warner
285- Sam Stoll

Thats a good team.

If the stars aligned and every break and bonus went Iowa's way...Maybe 3rd. Maybe.

Correct. They would need help.

In my opinion, Lee could make the finals, sorensen could make the finals, kemerer could make the finals, marinelli top 6, downey could make the finals, warner possible AA, and Stoll top 6.

Thats 6-7 AAs. In most years that gets you a team trophy but this year I could see them being outside the top 3 even with the stars aligning.

I appreciate everyone weighing in. Agree that it might not make too much sense to burn the redshirt, but I do think we’ll see Lee wrestling for Iowa at Midlands and he’ll be the 125 champ this year. Rooting for Nate but I don’t see him beating Lee if they are both 100%

I appreciate everyone weighing in. Agree that it might not make too much sense to burn the redshirt, but I do think we’ll see Lee wrestling for Iowa at Midlands and he’ll be the 125 champ this year. Rooting for Nate but I don’t see him beating Lee if they are both 100%

He'll have to beat Suriano and I don't think he will, but I'm wrong on many occasions.

Lee is a very talented young man, but Tomasello has a lot of strong wins against talented men in his career. If hes healthy it will be fun to watch.

Looks like we’re going to see Lee vs Suriano this weekend. If Spencer wins that might move up the time table to pull the redshirt. If he loses, then I’d guess he’ll redshirt this year and prepare for next season and his crazy freestyle schedule

Looks like we’re going to see Lee vs Suriano this weekend. If Spencer wins that might move up the time table to pull the redshirt. If he loses, then I’d guess he’ll redshirt this year and prepare for next season and his crazy freestyle schedule

If they pull his RS it would show that they are really desperate for the 3rd place trophy. Best case scenario, they score around 90 (and that's a real stretch) which would put them 50-60 behind tOSU and PSU. More likely they score about 80 with Lee and PD3, which would still put them in a position for 3rd. The 3rd place trophy is up for grabs this year as OKST and MICH have fallen off somewhat and NCST, Lehigh, AZST and MIZZ have entered the conversation. I believe that Iowa could be the best of that group with PD3 and Lee. I see a 3rd or 4th for PD3 and Lee (maybe lower for PD3) rather than NCAA championships like some Iowa fans are claiming.

Thoughts?

No. Just lost to #15 ranked Bresser, Org St in Midlands semis.

No. Just lost to #15 ranked Bresser, Org St in Midlands semis.

first off lee is a red shirt so he can still win 4 regardless of that loss. Second Bresser is a stud if you dont think so go look and see who he has beat!

The question is can fix and lee both get back to 125 next year? this will play a big part of 4x, and if they both make it one of those two can be 4xer. third, once Lee loses that god awful knee brace hes gonna be hard to stop. Lee is a way better wrestler then suriano and the rest of the field when hes on top of his game.

I will repeat something i said earlier, If Iowa pulls Lee's redshirt this year, they are stupid and ruining any chance he has for4 titles. I highly doubt Iowa goes the stupid route, but I have seen worse.

first off lee is a red shirt so he can still win 4 regardless of that loss. Second Bresser is a stud if you dont think so go look and see who he has beat!

The question is can fix and lee both get back to 125 next year? this will play a big part of 4x, and if they both make it one of those two can be 4xer. third, once Lee loses that god awful knee brace hes gonna be hard to stop. Lee is a way better wrestler then suriano and the rest of the field when hes on top of his game.

I will repeat something i said earlier, If Iowa pulls Lee's redshirt this year, they are stupid and ruining any chance he has for4 titles. I highly doubt Iowa goes the stupid route, but I have seen worse.

Bresser was a R12 in 2016 as a sophomore and a R12 in 2015 as a freshman. He's ranked #15 currently, on par to be a R16 again. He's beaten some good kids in his career, and given some top tier guys close matches. But if you lose to Bresser, you don't have 4x'er written all over you. IF he RS, AND IF BOTH Fix and Suriano bump up, then maybe he has a chance. But let him win one before we crown him a 4x'er. And, as you state, lose the brace to prove you aren't hindered by a bum knee.

Did Lee get hurt again, I see he forfeited after his loss?

Guessing Iowa was testing him to see where he was at with the hopes he'd see Suriano. After the loss the decision was made and there was no reason to risk injury. He didn't count for points so at that point there was little to wrestle for.