CVS drops selling tobacco

Does this mean they'll soon pull junk food and soda from their shelves, also? Or are those acceptable ways to damage your body?

:laugh: can't really start selling weed until it's legal. We're many many years away from that, if it ever happens.

Wow. I wouldn't of guessed it to be that much.

What is the profit margin on tobacco?

It's decent but not top notch. Product actually doesn't cost much to make so the average unit retail is not high, what is high are the taxes on the stuff and these need to be backed out when looking at the gross margin on a product.

I use to do some business with this channel of distribution and their highest gross margin category was batteries. The more a store makes from a category the closer it is to the door, batteries are always on an end cap near the doors. Candy/gum are good too as well as those seasonal impulse items like kids sand toys during the summer.

:laugh: can't really start selling weed until it's legal. We're many many years away from that, if it ever happens.

?????????????????? hey recently isnt it legal in California , Colorado ,Washington state and others already??!?!?! it will be legal everywhere ... its not cause they dont care if the weed gets the whole country high ...they want the TAX REVENUE ...even those libs out in Cali know numbers and how much more in taxes it will bring into the states ... .. Instead of Time magazine and The WSJ ...Highh Times will be the first mag everyone buys .....LIPS smokes the weed ..aint no big deal

I'm not a big fan of smoking and have to admit, selfishly, I like that Ohio has the no smoking law in bars and restaurants. But it does concern me that more and more the government and big agencies/companies are taking more of our rights away. Sure CVS is within it's rights to not sell tobacco but where does it stop?

I do find it interesting though that a very Liberal friend of mine on Facebook post how wonderful she though it was and all her Liberal friends are joining in her celebratory post. I asked them the same thing, Where does it STOP? and non of them have replied. :laugh: I can't wait to see how they react when one of their vices are attacked by our government.

I still think Liberals are less tolerant than most conservatives I know.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of smoking and have to admit, selfishly, I like that Ohio has the no smoking law in bars and restaurants. But it does concern me that more and more the government and big agencies/companies are taking more of our rights away. Sure CVS is within it's rights to not sell tobacco but where does it stop?

I do find it interesting though that a very Liberal friend of mine on Facebook post how wonderful she though tit was and all her Liberal friends are joining in her celebratory post. I asked them the same thing, Where does it STOP? and non of them have replied. :laugh: I can't wait to see how they react when one of their vices are attacked by our government.

I find it troubling that government is taking rights away but I don't have any issue with a business making a choice about what they sell. Like a personal choice whether or not to smoke a cig, I think a business has the right to choose what they sell... Don't like it, don't shop there. :shrug: CVS not selling cigs doesn't stop a person from smoking a cig in any way.

That said, I agree with recently. We have scientific evidence that other people smoking a cigarette is directly harmful to my health. I don't care what you do to your body (fast food, beer, cocaine) as long as it doesn't effect me. Tobacco smoke DOES effect me. This is one area where I think the government SHOULD step in... Protect my rights... I don't want your smoke in my lungs.

I do find it interesting though that a very Liberal friend of mine on Facebook post how wonderful she though tit was and all her Liberal friends are joining in her celebratory post. I asked them the same thing, Where does it STOP? and non of them have replied. :laugh: I can't wait to see how they react when one of their vices are attacked by our government.

Weird rant moe dud, but thanks for your input.

I find it troubling that government is taking rights away but I don't have any issue with a business making a choice about what they sell. Like a personal choice whether or not to smoke a cig, I think a business has the right to choose what they sell... Don't like it, don't shop there. :shrug: CVS not selling cigs doesn't stop a person from smoking a cig in any way.

That said, I agree with recently. We have scientific evidence that other people smoking a cigarette is directly harmful to my health. I don't care what you do to your body (fast food, beer, cocaine) as long as it doesn't effect me. Tobacco smoke DOES effect me. This is one area where I think the government SHOULD step in... Protect my rights... I don't want your smoke in my lungs.

I fully understand CVS does have the right to sell what they want. But even though it's a small percent of their total sales its still something like $2 billion dollars out of their revenue. I guess I'm a bit skeptical on why a company would take such a large amount of sales off the shelf. Again, I'm not a pro-smoker, but I say, ask yourself this BobcatFan06, where does it stop? Will you be just as cooperative when stores start taking something you really crave or love off the store shelves? :shrug:

Look in New York, the Mayor there already outlawed supersized beverages. Again, where does it stop?

I fully understand CVS does have the right to sell what they want. But even though it's a small percent of their total sales its still something like $2 billion dollars out of their revenue. I guess I'm a bit skeptical on why a company would take such a large amount of sales off the shelf. Again, I'm not a pro-smoker, but I say, ask yourself this BobcatFan06, where does it stop? Will you be just as cooperative when stores start taking something you really crave or love off the store shelves? :shrug:

Look in New York, the Mayor there already outlawed supersized beverages. Again, where does it stop?

This wasn't a government mandate, it was a decision by a private business. Not the same as the NY thing at all. You should have stopped after your first sentence and you would have been fine.

I'm not a big fan of smoking and have to admit, selfishly, I like that Ohio has the no smoking law in bars and restaurants.

We've had a ban in AZ since 2005 (or so), and at first the smokers in the bars were outraged. Today they like it. Of course it is different here than in Ohio because the smokers here don't mind going out to smoke when the average high in January is between 60 and 70 degrees. It must suck having to go out to smoke in Ohio. I remember those days!

Wrong. Profit.

They dropped tobacco to be taken more seriously and expand their role as a healthcare provider. That's where the real money and growth is, not in a product with a horrible stigma and dwindling customer base. I think you're going to see them expand services of their Minute Clinic and ramp up the marketing big time in the coming years.

They dropped tobacco to be taken more seriously and expand their role as a healthcare provider. That's where the real money and growth is, not in a product with a horrible stigma and dwindling customer base. I think you're going to see them expand services of their Minute Clinic and ramp up the marketing big time in the coming years.

I don't disagree with any of this..........................

Wrong. Profit.

Is CVS a publicly traded company ? If so, would they had to have made a case to their shareholders for dropping tobacco ? If so, I'd like to hear it.

It seems to me they are also dropping whatever impulse sales they may have made when the addicts stop regularly for tobacco.

Expand clinics to visiting nurse services, too ? Some old folks could get their 'scripts delivered, and thus lock in the refills ? Partner with insurers for pre-enrollment home exam services ?

I wonder how much more they can encroach on traditional providers for office services. Maybe regional partnerships with Health care systems. They view initial visits as "starting patients in to the funnel", in a way. There may be some kick back from traditional health care providers.

MoeDude, do you think CVS has an obligation to sell tobacco products?

Never said they did. I just find it weird that they would walk away from $2 Billion worth of sales.

PantherVor said:
This wasn't a government mandate, it was a decision by a private business. Not the same as the NY thing at all. You should have stopped after your first sentence and you would have been fine.

I stated all along that I know CVS has the right to not sell tobacco if they choose not to. I'm just saying that between the government(NY example) and companies(CVS) the movement to control everything we do, IMO is getting extreme.

A lot of people find smoking offensive, I being one of them, but as I have been stating where does it stop? :shrug: