Cross County Conference

TCN will be down this year and they have a tough schedule with a new coach. I would be shocked if they win 4. This new coach is what they need as he's the hard nosed type but they need to buy into his program and get more younger kids involved. As for the rest Arcanum and NT will be the sleeper teams and Bethel and ME will be my overhyped teams. Cov and FL should go 1 2 either or.
Who is the new coach at TCN?

Who is the new coach at TCN?
I haven't seen it posted. But someone else said Billy Derringer is stepping back in as the head coach. He's a longtime coach there that has won a lot of games. He stepped down like 5 years ago but remained at the school as the Superintendent. I think it's a good move for TCN.

Last edited:
Who looks strong in the final year of the CCC?
I would guess Fort Loramie and then everyone else. Covington loses a big Senior class but they will still be good. I expect Miami East to be a little better too. The rest of the teams are wild cards to me. I think Arcanum won some games last year with a young team, so I expect them to be better. Tri Village will be led by Sarver at QB, and he's one of the better players in the entire league. I expect Ansonia to be decent as they usually are. Outside of that I'm not sure.

Last word on TCN is they interviewed 5 people for the job and they have yet to announce who got it. I was told in the beginning it was a 99% lock Billy D was coming back but now it seems that is untrue because of health reasons. I would guess that is why it's takin as long as it has because of all the uncertainty. As for the final season of the CCC I will predict FL Arcanum ME and TV will be up at the top with Cov Ansonia and maybe TCN with the right coach (They have the players to make some noise but they need the right coach).

TCN is traditionally a football school and TVS is a Basketball school if that makes any since. TVS has only had a handful of years where they've even been a .500 team where the opposite is said about TCN. Both schools have had their share of great athletes but TVS has never really had the coaches stay long enough to see anything threw. I've seen south have so many talented teams go .500 that could've won the CCC. TCN has had for the most part a really good football program for the most part and until recently TVS has not. When I was in school TVS players came to TCN to play pee-wee because they had no program in place ironically those players were the only team that has ever made the playoffs for TVS. As for coaches for both teams I feel both will be lackluster at best. I have zero faith in TCN's AD and TVS has been a revolving door for well....ever. If TVS ever had a consistent coach they could be a scary program but for some reason they just can't. When TVS gets good coaches they always seem to leave when they start to sniff success (Cates Miller...….). Who knows what the future holds for both schools I just hope they both find success.

Joe51391 - South definitely seems to be the training ground for Covington coaches. South gets someone with any success as a head coach and the Bucc's seem to snap them up. But your analysis is right on for both programs.

The league seems to be Fort Loramies to lose. ME will be better. Covington will reload. A wild card might be Tri-Village, I think they only had 2-3 seniors last year. So pretty much everyone is back. Top half of the league will include Ansonia and Arcanum. Both North and South will have 1st year coaches - new system, new offense and defense to learn, hard to turn a program around in a season.

TCN is traditionally a football school and TVS is a Basketball school if that makes any since. TVS has only had a handful of years where they've even been a .500 team where the opposite is said about TCN. Both schools have had their share of great athletes but TVS has never really had the coaches stay long enough to see anything threw. I've seen south have so many talented teams go .500 that could've won the CCC. TCN has had for the most part a really good football program for the most part and until recently TVS has not. When I was in school TVS players came to TCN to play pee-wee because they had no program in place ironically those players were the only team that has ever made the playoffs for TVS. As for coaches for both teams I feel both will be lackluster at best. I have zero faith in TCN's AD and TVS has been a revolving door for well....ever. If TVS ever had a consistent coach they could be a scary program but for some reason they just can't. When TVS gets good coaches they always seem to leave when they start to sniff success (Cates Miller...….). Who knows what the future holds for both schools I just hope they both find success.
As a lifelong TVS follower, I agree with your comments. For the last 25-30 years I would definitely say that TVS is a basketball school, and TCN is a football school. Although I do think it's leveling out some in regards to both programs in recent years. I do think the TCN job is much more appealing for a football coach. There is a lot of tradition there and with the start of the new conference, I expect TCN to be one of the top teams most years.

There have been some years where we have had some talent in football at TVS, but we have never been able to build the tradition that TCN has. In large part because (as mentioned) our coaches use us as a stepping stone to move on to better opportunities. The best 2 coaches we have had in the last 25 years is Miller and Cates and they did both ended up at Covington. I just did a count, and just off of my memory, and I could be missing someone... this will be our 8th different head football coach in a 19 year period (Dave Miller, Meyer, Cottingim, Schondelmyer, Engleka, Cates, Bartlett, new coach TBD). That's not good when you are trying to build a tradition.

I've been looking forward to seeing who TVS and TCN hire as their next head coach. With all the issues now, I'm afraid we won't hear anything until schools open back up and the interview process can be continued. It could be a while until we find out.

I've been looking forward to seeing who TVS and TCN hire as their next head coach. With all the issues now, I'm afraid we won't hear anything until schools open back up and the interview process can be continued. It could be a while until we find out.
At least they're not falling behind. Nobody has coaches in the weight room right now.

FL will win every league game this year by 40+. I don't see anyone competing with them.

They bring back their QB, Best athlete and their running back

I actually have heard that TVS has moved forward with their interviews with conference call style interviews. It sounds like a decision could be made before this madness is all over.

do you have any insight in to who is getting interviewed?
I am not aware of who is getting interviewed, but I hope there are some good candidates. I don't believe there will be any internal candidates that will move up from within the program already, I believe this hire will be from the outside.

Any update on the TCN position? I had heard the TVS hiring could be announced soon. The interviews did continue on and I believe they had their final candidates. I don't know who the candidates are though.

Aside from that, I don't see the huge need to make an announcement soon. It'll be tough for a new coach to come in, from outside the system, and get things rolling in mid summer. Which is what I'm afraid we are looking at...

Best of luck to him. If he can stick around and get through some of the things that seem to be going on at TCN, he could have a lot of success. Young talent coming up and one year away from the new conference starting...

wow that's a shocker to me
Joe, just curious as to why it was a shocker for you. From reading the article it seems like a good hire. A young guy that could potentially be around a while. I just don't know who the other candidates might have been..

Joe, just curious as to why it was a shocker for you. From reading the article it seems like a good hire. A young guy that could potentially be around a while. I just don't know who the other candidates might have been..
you make a great point but i think the only thing that really shocks me is a coach leaving his alma mater for another school. although it is a better position, always tough to leave home!

I just never heard of the guy. He comes from a team that is a power run offense and we run more of a spread. He's chasing a coaching title and most times kids have a hard time buying into a program from a guy who comes from a rival school. I'm not knocking the guy at all and I wish him nothing but the best I just don't understand it from where the program was at and the school as a whole has gone downhill so much in the last 5 years. I've lived in the district my entire life and have never seen it this bad as a whole. They have no direction in sports and they hire people who has no business coaching jr high sports let alone varsity. Again I'm not knocking the new coach but I have zero faith in the powers at be.

I just never heard of the guy. He comes from a team that is a power run offense and we run more of a spread. He's chasing a coaching title and most times kids have a hard time buying into a program from a guy who comes from a rival school. I'm not knocking the guy at all and I wish him nothing but the best I just don't understand it from where the program was at and the school as a whole has gone downhill so much in the last 5 years. I've lived in the district my entire life and have never seen it this bad as a whole. They have no direction in sports and they hire people who has no business coaching jr high sports let alone varsity. Again I'm not knocking the new coach but I have zero faith in the powers at be.
Guys that were linemen are different as head coaches. They have to hire skills coaches who need to be a bit more charismatic by nature but that charisma can be an affront to the head coach. Has the head coach stated what responsibilities he plans to cover himself?

I think his offensive coordinator or skills coach will be very important in this case.

One of my first thoughts about him was that he could come in and try to run an offense like Ansonia. I know that could be a problem with the QB that TCN has right now.

It's been almost 2 weeks since TCN announced their new head coach. I had thought that TVS would be on a similar schedule since we were doing interviews at a similar time. I have not heard anything about who the next coach will be... hopefully that's not a bad thing.

It's been another 2 weeks and I still haven't heard a whole lot of good about the open job at TVS. I have heard that the first 2 candidates that we had in mind both decided against taking the position. I know it's not the end of the world with all this stay at home stuff going on, so it's not like there's a lot of football activity going on. But it would be nice to have a coach in place.