Cross County Conference 2020 Season

Covington wins easy over TVS
TCN keeps momentum with a win over Bethel
Fort Loramie easily handles Miami East
MV takes care of business against Bradford
Ansonia by 2 scores over Arcanum
Tri-Village hosts Trail - the game of the week. I give the edge to the home team. Should be a shoot out.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong.... but I believe both Arcanum and Ansonia are better than National Trail this year. It's really hard to tell considering that I believe National Trail played the 2 worst teams in the conference with their first 2 games (Bradford and MV). They took care of business, but this will be a whole different monster for them when they go to Tri Village. It is exciting that the game is between two teams that are 2-0, and I hope it's a good game. I just think Tri Village is going to put up another 40-50 points on them and I am not sure that Trail will be able to match that.
I'm unsure on what to think for this one. I think TV will win but I think it will be a game. TV has been playing extremely well, their basketball athletes have definitely figured out the game of football in a short amount of time

I'm unsure on what to think for this one. I think TV will win but I think it will be a game. TV has been playing extremely well, their basketball athletes have definitely figured out the game of football in a short amount of time
I can't go all in on TV yet. Their offense looks good, possibly even very good but the defense is giving up far too many points. I doubt they are on par with Covington yet, so no higher than third in the conference. Light years away from upper MAC level but they may have the physical athletic makeup to one day compete at that level. Just not yet IMO.

For a team that is continuing to build their program, TV is in a good position. I think they'll handle National Trail rather easily. They have an elite offense for the CCC. If they struggle in any categories, it would be on the lines or on the defensive side of the ball. But against those similar tiered teams, they have too much offense for most. I'll go with:

Covington 42 TVS 7
TCN 42 Bethel 7
Fort Loramie 56 Miami East 0
MV 28 Bradford 0
Ansonia 14 Arcanum 7
Tri-Village 49 National Trail 28

I'm with you. I would not go as far to say they are on board with any of those schools. I just think they will go 5-0 in their pool play and then match up with Fort Loramie. It will be an exciting game for the conference, but Fort Loramie will win this game easily. Which there's no shame in that and hopefully TV can build from that headed into the playoffs, and then you never know.... maybe they can win a couple games. That would still be a heck of a year for TV.

I agree with you. If Tri Village can get a chance to play for a conference title that is impressive. However they don't stand a chance against FL. 5-1 and a decent seed in the playoffs would be very exciting for a young program. FL was in the same spot at one point in their football program. They would win the games against teams they should and then get blasted by the REAL players in the playoffs. I would have to say that is the same path TV will take. Again, not a indictment on the patriots just the truth, TV has been impressive in the first two weeks.

Just a huge difference as we have seen between the rest of the CCC and FL the last three years. That has been the case the first two weeks of the season again, FL beats TCN 42-0, and TCN pounds on TVS so what is going to happen when FL plays TVS week 5. Covington scored 28 on Bethel, FL just racked up 61, so that game will be a long one for the Buccs. (who i think is the second best team in the CCC this year).

Anyone have any input on National Trail this year? I know they are 2-0 with wins over Bradford/MV. However we will get a better idea of where they are at after this week. I do think they are a program that's improving, and they've had a long line of success at the lower levels in recent years. They lost a lot after last year including CCC Offensive Player of the Year Peyton Lane. They also lost Woodall who was a 1st team all league WR before getting injured last year.

how a kid from trail won Offensive Player of the Year over all the talent Covington and FL had last year is highway robbery......

Right, I'm just saying the cats are having a tough year with their program and FL isn't. Im not taking anything away from the past
yes very tough year .. lose a great group of seniors, 9 starters on a offense and 9 on Defense...

so how are the skins doing, schedule is weak, but how are the Line doing ?

yes very tough year .. lose a great group of seniors, 9 starters on a offense and 9 on Defense...

Watched some of their first game on NKtelco. It was a very lethargic effort IMO. They only led 14-0 at halftime, had several penalties. Broke things open in the third quarter thanks to two or three turnovers. FL dropped a ton of passes that night. Should be interesting, there qb has been all ohio the last two years so they have that going for them

I wanted to see just how bad FL has beaten on the teams from the CCC in 3+ seasons so I did the total last night. This is how bad FL outscored their opponents.

2017- 339-90 (lost to Miami East 27-26) Only CCC Loss--Also beat Covington 28-21 that year.
2018- 375-56 (Closest game was a 21-7 win over Miami East)
2019- 411-36 (Closest game was a 19-14 win over Covington)
2020- 103-7

In 26 CCC Games:
Scored 50+ 13 times
Scored 60+ 4 times
Shutouts- 10 times
Opponents Scored less than ten points- 16 times

25-1--only three games decided by less than 10, that includes the loss to Miami East. No other team outside of Miami East or Covington has ever put up a legitimate fight against the Redskins.

Line is okay IMO, definitely not as powerful as last year but I think it could reach last years potential as the season continues

Thanks for running the numbers, and I'm not surprised at all that it's that lopsided. That's why a lot of us scratched our head when they joined the CCC in the first place. It's great to have a strong program like that in our league, but when there's no competition for them besides Covington/ME some years, it just doesn't make sense. I do think FL could have had a positive affect on Covington. Covington could basically sleep walk to a league championship a lot of years, these past years they have had to be on their A-game to have a chance.

I'll definitely wish FL the best, but as a TVS fan, I'm not sad that we don't have to make that hour plus drive to get destroyed. Fort Loramie has beaten TVS 55-0 (2019), 52-6 (2018), 46-0 (2017) in the 3 years we've played. That's with FL calling off the dogs, because it could have been worse. This year will be the same.

Yes by sure numbers TVS is in big trouble.

FL beat TCN 42-0
TCN beat TVS 42-7

FL should beat TCN 84-3

Fort L shouldn't be in that league. It's a different type of kid in Shelby and Mercer counties smaller schools. TVS doesn't have the history or the culture to compete with the FL's, Anna's, Minster's etc. Not too many do. Milton and most of the SWBL would struggle with them. Brookville, Eaton and Valley View are three teams that schedule MAC schools and lose most years. FL is a MAC style school. They should replace Parkway.
Milton won't even schedule MAC school. The last time was in 1999 and we lost to New Bremen. Playoffs would be the only chance of that.

Fort L shouldn't be in that league. It's a different type of kid in Shelby and Mercer counties smaller schools. TVS doesn't have the history or the culture to compete with the FL's, Anna's, Minster's etc. Not too many do. Milton and most of the SWBL would struggle with them. Brookville, Eaton and Valley View are three teams that schedule MAC schools and lose most years. FL is a MAC style school. They should replace Parkway.
Milton won't even schedule MAC school. The last time was in 1999 and we lost to New Bremen. Playoffs would be the only chance of that.
FL should go independent in football. Create a tough regular schedule to prepare for them a long playoff run. That is what makes MAC teams. They have to compete at a high level every Friday night or they will lose.

FL should go independent in football. Create a tough regular schedule to prepare for them a long playoff run. That is what makes MAC teams. They have to compete at a high level every Friday night or they will lose.
well...next year they go independent.... not a ideal situation to build a strong culture, don't have the rivals like you do when you play in a league..... will have to travel to play the good teams....will be interesting to see how it works out for the Shelby county---FORT....

I'm not sure what Fort Loramie's schedule will look like. But if they can be an OOC matchup for MAC schools, mixed with keeping Covington/Miami East on their schedule. They could field a decent schedule...
One would assume they continue to play Minster who is a rival along with if they keep those two schools that maintains two more rivals. Might as well try to schedule Coldwater or Marion Local early on as well. If that happens it could turn into another rivalry game for them. Scheduling games late in the season when conference games are more typical will lead to more travel but prepare for them for longer bus rides that happens later in the playoffs.

Last edited:
You can say culture and history, I say genetics. Kids up there are taller than average and stronger per lb. When you have 190 lb linemen benching 225 that does not happen often in CCC schools. More likely to have a 240 lb lineman bench 180 lbs. When I was in high school at one of the CCC schools we had two kids on the team who could bench over 200. It's been years back (2010 ?) When Loramie started their program they instantly had athletes, they just had to learn the game. Now they have both. Not downplaying culture or history either, but talk to Covington about how far those get you vs a MAC team in the playoffs.

One would assume they continue to play Minster who is a rival along with if they keep those two schools that maintains two more rivals. Might as well try to schedule Coldwater or Marion Local early on as well. If that happens it could turn into another rivalry game for them. Scheduling games late in the season when conference games are more typical will lead to more travel but prepare for them for longer bus rides that happens later in the playoffs.
my understanding is that they have a their schedule for next year almost full... they still play Minster in the first game, and i think they scheduled another MAC team in the second week. With the MAC only the first 2 weeks are open for non Conference games.... then i would assum,e that it would start getting tricky...

You can say culture and history, I say genetics. Kids up there are taller than average and stronger per lb. When you have 190 lb linemen benching 225 that does not happen often in CCC schools. More likely to have a 240 lb lineman bench 180 lbs. When I was in high school at one of the CCC schools we had two kids on the team who could bench over 200. It's been years back (2010 ?) When Loramie started their program they instantly had athletes, they just had to learn the game. Now they have both. Not downplaying culture or history either, but talk to Covington about how far those get you vs a MAC team in the playoffs.
Bench doesn't mean SQUAT for football... the kids that squat 400lb's are the ones that I want on my team....:)

my understanding is that they have a their schedule for next year almost full... they still play Minster in the first game, and i think they scheduled another MAC team in the second week. With the MAC only the first 2 weeks are open for non Conference games.... then i would assum,e that it would start getting tricky...
FL has a series with Versailles in week 2 starting in 2022 fwiw. Hopefully the Shelby Fort doesn't have to go 4+ hours away for a game

Anybody can lift 220 lbs. as a 16 to 18 year old if they put in the work ( hell as old as I am I could lift 220 if I worked at it ). Last week Marion Local played 3 soph. at linebacker 2 of them were listed at a 170 lbs. each. It is all about culture, and coaches making sure the players put in the work.

FL has seven games scheduled for next season at this point. Road trips include Lucas, Columbus Academy, Newark Catholic and LCC. Thank goodness for the short drive to Minster in week one!

Bench doesn't mean SQUAT for football... the kids that squat 400lb's are the ones that I want on my team....:)
Isn't it typically proportional? I know bench may not be the best standard but 200 lbs was always a nice round number we were all chasing but few got there.

I am going to send you a PM concerning a kid I worked with who you may be very familiar with.