Cross County Conference 2020-2021

BucksFan937

It's going to be a long couple of weeks/month working from home, so I figured to start this thread for some general conversation. What are everyone's thoughts for the final year of the CCC in regards to basketball? It's crazy that it will be the last year for the league.

My early prediction is that Trail and Tri Village will be the 2 front runners. Trail returns Harrison and the Weathington kid, who is a solid post player. Harrison is the early favorite to be league player of the year. Tri Village should take another step forward with all their young guys. Now they will be Junior/Sophomores, and I think they will be dangerous. If for some reason Sagaster ends up back in as coach, it will also add some drama/excitement to everything.

Aside from that, I expect the league to be a little more competitive next year in comparison to this past season. What's everyones thoughts/

Look to see Tri Village break apart.

Trail should still be strong.

Covington, Miami East and Franklin Monroe will all be better. Not sure about Mississinawa but they may improve slightly.

Arcanum? TVS? TCN?

Bethel, well coached but talent seems to have evaporated.
Newton, reload from a decent team this year, probably will not be as good next.

Ansonia, treading water.

Bradford. What can I say? Like the school colors.

It's way to early for this, but I will pick Covington to win it based on coaching.

Look to see Tri Village break apart.

Trail should still be strong.

Covington, Miami East and Franklin Monroe will all be better. Not sure about Mississinawa but they may improve slightly.

Arcanum? TVS? TCN?

Bethel, well coached but talent seems to have evaporated.
Newton, reload from a decent team this year, probably will not be as good next.

Ansonia, treading water.

Bradford. What can I say? Like the school colors.

It's way to early for this, but I will pick Covington to win it based on coaching.
Arcanum lost 2 of their better players in Gray/Delk, but I think they will reload a bit and still be competitive.

TCN returns Stinson, who is a great player, and other key players from this years team. I actually think they could be a team that surprises people.

If you thought TVS was bad this year, we will be even worse next year. We lose 4 Seniors including 20 point per game scorer in Petersen, and we don't have much returning. We have a lot of talent from the 8th grade levels down and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple Freshman got Varsity minutes next year. We will also have a new coach, so it will be a new look at TVS.

I am very interested what Miami East will do. Their junior to be senior guard is very good. I am unsure how good there JV was but probably solid. They have the best Freshman class easily in the league. Will be very interesting.

If TV returns everyone they will be rather good. Hearing some crazy things from that program right now though.

Cannot count out the well coached schools of MV and Covington.

It appears that Sagester wants his basketball job back.
Is it a realistic option that he could get the job back as early as next year?

His son will be a 7th grader, and TV is loaded with talent right now. It would be very convenient if he somehow ended up the coach again. It would be pretty bad that they run a coach out after 1 season, but I think it's what some people want. They would be completely OK with overlooking everything that happened with Sags at the end of the last time that he was coach.

Is it a realistic option that he could get the job back as early as next year?

His son will be a 7th grader, and TV is loaded with talent right now. It would be very convenient if he somehow ended up the coach again. It would be pretty bad that they run a coach out after 1 season, but I think it's what some people want. They would be completely OK with overlooking everything that happened with Sags at the end of the last time that he was coach.

Unfortunately, a super small town that rely on some moves in consistently needs to be very united to have extreme success. There is no way that entire community will unite around what that team is from a leadership standpoint current state or with proposed changes. Not enough talent there to overcome all that churn.

I do not think they are loaded with talent at all. Good yes. Loaded talent, irregardless of coach, does not lose to some of the teams they did at the D4 level.

I agree. The talent there is very raw and is not what I would consider “state championship” caliber. The days of TV winning state are gone. If he takes over there will indeed be lots of turmoil and there will not be enough basketballs to go around. Parents there are not happy unless they are unhappy. There will indeed have to be quite a few more move ins if TV wants to reach the mountain top again. Lots of egos and lots of different agendas it appears and that’s a shame for the kids.

I think there is a decent amount of talent there. The Suggs kid is pretty good and he is only a Freshman. The Sarver boy is very good and he is only a Sophomore. There was another tall skinny kid in the Sophomore class that I thought was good. As well as the Finkbine and Cook kids in the Freshman class. I think when all of those kids are together, as Junior/Seniors, Tri Village could have a very good year. At that time the Sagaster boy will be a Freshman, and I would guess that he will walk right onto the scene and play Varsity. I'm not saying "state championship" caliber, but there is reason to be excited. As for the Delong boy, I believe he's overrated and could actually bring down the overall team chemistry. His family probably believes he was the best player on the team this year.

Nail on the head with your last two sentences and everyone in New Madison would agree with you. The player seemed to be a very nice young man but average player at best. Potential to be a decent player if dad would watch from the stands was my observation.

Nail on the head with your last two sentences and everyone in New Madison would agree with you. The player seemed to be a very nice young man but average player at best. Potential to be a decent player if dad would watch from the stands was my observation.
I've got years of experience of witnessing his dad/uncle being involved with the TVS basketball program, and you are absolutely correct. Dalton is a solid player and a nice kid. He could have helped TVS some this year. But to me he was a JV player that needs to work on taking care of the basketball, and just getting better overall as a scorer. I couldn't believe he went to Tri Village and was immediately a starter on the basketball team, with his dad as the Varsity Assistant coach.

Who is #15 on TV this year?
Layne Sarver was #15. He was their best player this year as a Sophomore. He was a first team all league selection and averaged 18 points per game. I expect him to be one of the top players in the league the next 2 years. He's overall a great athlete. I actually think his best sport is football, as I've been very impressed with him playing QB. He's tall (6'4) and very athletic. He was also a state qualifier in high jump.

Layne Sarver was #15. He was their best player this year as a Sophomore. He was a first team all league selection and averaged 18 points per game. I expect him to be one of the top players in the league the next 2 years. He's overall a great athlete. I actually think his best sport is football, as I've been very impressed with him playing QB. He's tall (6'4) and very athletic. He was also a state qualifier in high jump.

I see him as a college basketball player. Maybe NAIA Scholarship type. But, did he make the jump from his Fresh to Sophmore year? I did not see that jump I expected. Very good player.

I miss the days when TV would travel with 5000 fans it would seem. Those were fun days.

I see him as a college basketball player. Maybe NAIA Scholarship type. But, did he make the jump from his Fresh to Sophmore year? I did not see that jump I expected. Very good player.

I miss the days when TV would travel with 5000 fans it would seem. Those were fun days.
He could possibly be a NAIA scholarship type of player with basketball. I think he has the potential to go somewhere better as a QB or as a high jumper. Just my personal opinion.

I've got years of experience of witnessing his dad/uncle being involved with the TVS basketball program, and you are absolutely correct. Dalton is a solid player and a nice kid. He could have helped TVS some this year. But to me he was a JV player that needs to work on taking care of the basketball, and just getting better overall as a scorer. I couldn't believe he went to Tri Village and was immediately a starter on the basketball team, with his dad as the Varsity Assistant coach.
Heard rumors that he may be looking to leave again.....

Heard rumors that he may be looking to leave again.....
I would be surprised if that happened. I am pretty sure Delong and Suggs are a package deal at this point. TVS is going through a coaching change and I was always afraid the dad thought he was the next coach in waiting. When they left for Tri Village, it took that out of the question. Hopefully they aren't thinking about coming back.... It's my understanding that since they live in TVS school district, that he could move back to TVS and not have to sit out for transferring.

I would be surprised if that happened. I am pretty sure Delong and Suggs are a package deal at this point. TVS is going through a coaching change and I was always afraid the dad thought he was the next coach in waiting. When they left for Tri Village, it took that out of the question. Hopefully they aren't thinking about coming back.... It's my understanding that since they live in TVS school district, that he could move back to TVS and not have to sit out for transferring.
The rumors that I have heard have been about moving on to a bigger school. I'm not sure how much of a package deal there is as much any more, heard that there was some issues between the two during the season, could totally be wrong, and I hope I am because he is a great kid, but that's just what I've heard. Who knows, at this point, let's just hope their is a 2020-2021 basketball season!

The rumors that I have heard have been about moving on to a bigger school. I'm not sure how much of a package deal there is as much any more, heard that there was some issues between the two during the season, could totally be wrong, and I hope I am because he is a great kid, but that's just what I've heard. Who knows, at this point, let's just hope their is a 2020-2021 basketball season!
That would be interesting. I didn't realize there were some issues between the 2. If he goes to a bigger school that is a good team. He could go from Varsity starter one year to JV player the next. I really don't like all this moving your kid around, trying to chase better opportunities. In all honesty if the Delong kid just stays at TVS. He would have likely been a starter last season, and would be a key member of the program moving forward, and not just another guy like he is at Tri Village.

>> He could go from Varsity starter one year to JV player the next. I really don't like all this moving your kid around, trying to chase better opportunities. In all honesty if the Delong kid just stays at TVS. He would have likely been a starter last season, and would be a key member of the program moving forward, and not just another guy like he is at Tri Village.

From watching sports over the years, I see parents wanting to do the best they can for their kids, I get that. And they move them to the place that the parent feels gives the best exposure to get to the next level. My feelings on this are two pronged - 1. If Penn State can find Curtis Enis in Mississenewa Valley then your kid will be picked up if they are good enough. No need to shop around and jump programs. 2. Parents want their kids to get that D1 scholarship. But almost all of the kids from the small schools in this league will do best to set their sights on NAIA or Div III NCAA for the next level. I see kids try to jump from a small school to a big program and be overwhelmed - they last a year and move on. Also, if you are D1 caliber in this league then you better be able to put the team on your back and carry it night after night. I don't see that many athletes that can do that.

Finally when you attend a high school graduation, look at all the academic scholarships that are handed out versus the one or two that get a scholarship or grant in aid for sports. So focus on academics if you are looking for a way to pay for school.

>> He could go from Varsity starter one year to JV player the next. I really don't like all this moving your kid around, trying to chase better opportunities. In all honesty if the Delong kid just stays at TVS. He would have likely been a starter last season, and would be a key member of the program moving forward, and not just another guy like he is at Tri Village.

From watching sports over the years, I see parents wanting to do the best they can for their kids, I get that. And they move them to the place that the parent feels gives the best exposure to get to the next level. My feelings on this are two pronged - 1. If Penn State can find Curtis Enis in Mississenewa Valley then your kid will be picked up if they are good enough. No need to shop around and jump programs. 2. Parents want their kids to get that D1 scholarship. But almost all of the kids from the small schools in this league will do best to set their sights on NAIA or Div III NCAA for the next level. I see kids try to jump from a small school to a big program and be overwhelmed - they last a year and move on. Also, if you are D1 caliber in this league then you better be able to put the team on your back and carry it night after night. I don't see that many athletes that can do that.

Finally when you attend a high school graduation, look at all the academic scholarships that are handed out versus the one or two that get a scholarship or grant in aid for sports. So focus on academics if you are looking for a way to pay for school.

Well said. Also, many people do not realize the quality of basketball at the real good d2 d3 and naia programs. in some cases better than some d 1 programs. If the high school coach is really doing their job, they will get their kids exposure. They will get them to the good summer exposure camps and take them on recruiting visits and get in touch with college coaches and create the opportunity for them to play at the next level. The smaller colleges do not have the recruiting budget that a lot of d1 schools have so they really depend on the high school coaches and summer exposure camps to find players

I agree with what you both are saying. Going D2/D3/NAIA is still very impressive and the quality of basketball is good. The majority of people will focus on the academics and understand the reality of everything.

But the Delong family, in particular, is on a whole another level. In terms of parents thinking their kid is "going Pro", they take the cake. From running AAU teams, to holding showcases, to doing internet write ups about their own kids. The Delong boy that's a Senior at TVS was supposed to be a D1 player, and if anyone got to see him play this year, I would love to hear your opinion. The kid is a great kid, and I hate saying this. But the dad really brought this all on, and it's the same thing his brother did when he took his son to Tri Village. Their kids are great when they are in Junior High and a year older than everybody else. When the other kids catch up and they become very average, the parents don't know what to do.

If you don't believe me read one of their showcase summary below. Particularly the class of 2020 write up, when he talks about his own son, you would have thought he'd be a decent player from reading that.

https://buckeyeprep.blogspot.com/2015/04/national-elite-showcase-results.html

I agree with what you both are saying. Going D2/D3/NAIA is still very impressive and the quality of basketball is good. The majority of people will focus on the academics and understand the reality of everything.

But the Delong family, in particular, is on a whole another level. In terms of parents thinking their kid is "going Pro", they take the cake. From running AAU teams, to holding showcases, to doing internet write ups about their own kids. The Delong boy that's a Senior at TVS was supposed to be a D1 player, and if anyone got to see him play this year, I would love to hear your opinion. The kid is a great kid, and I hate saying this. But the dad really brought this all on, and it's the same thing his brother did when he took his son to Tri Village. Their kids are great when they are in Junior High and a year older than everybody else. When the other kids catch up and they become very average, the parents don't know what to do.

If you don't believe me read one of their showcase summary below. Particularly the class of 2020 write up, when he talks about his own son, you would have thought he'd be a decent player from reading that.

I seen TVS play twice this year, they had a tall kid that could play,only kid that could score consistently but I don’t think his name was Delong but I could be wrong

That's too much......puts us parents on notice to be careful how we communicate.

There is a poster on Yappi whos dad would always deflect when someone stated how good his kid was with " I think he's good too but I really can't know for sure, because I'm his dad".

Reality is few of us can separate from our blood bias and at times it gets embarrassingly apparent.

I seen TVS play twice this year, they had a tall kid that could play,only kid that could score consistently but I don’t think his name was Delong but I could be wrong
Cole Petersen was our best player this season. He averaged right at 20 points per game. He was about 6'5. The Delong kid was our other big guy, which was not as tall and a little heavier build, more like a football player. He was an OK role player for a team that went 4-19.

Cole Petersen was our best player this season. He averaged right at 20 points per game. He was about 6'5. The Delong kid was our other big guy, which was not as tall and a little heavier build, more like a football player. He was an OK role player for a team that went 4-19.
Ok I know who you’re talking about now, had the pleasure of sitting by his parents at a summer league game

Ok I know who you’re talking about now, had the pleasure of sitting by his parents at a summer league game
They are a great family, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Cole was a heck of a player, and had a much better season than I expected. He was on the league championship team of 2018-2019 and was the 5th starter with the 4 Seniors. He was a big part of that team but was more of a role player. This year he was pretty much the whole team, and other teams would make their entire game plan just to stop him. I thought he would struggle with that, but he still played extremely well. It's unfortunate there was nothing else to go with him last year at TVS. That's why I think next year is going to be even worse next year.

They are a great family, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Cole was a heck of a player, and had a much better season than I expected. He was on the league championship team of 2018-2019 and was the 5th starter with the 4 Seniors. He was a big part of that team but was more of a role player. This year he was pretty much the whole team, and other teams would make their entire game plan just to stop him. I thought he would struggle with that, but he still played extremely well. It's unfortunate there was nothing else to go with him last year at TVS. That's why I think next year is going to be even worse next year.
Yeah I’ve heard a couple of TVS people say it’s going to be rough next year but you never know