Cross County Conference 2019-2020

How is FM looking this year? I know losing Conley will really hurt but I remember a couple young guys that played last year that were pretty good.
I am never certain until a season begins how a team will perform. Have seen many talented teams not have chemistry or desire and they flounder. The Jets need to have a couple kids step up and play a role Conley played for four years. It may be a bit of a learning curve early on in the season in that regard. A successful year would be 10 -14 wins in my opinion.

I got to watch Trail and TVS last night. Trail is pretty good. They didn’t look as good as I expected. But they are still really good. I think they were better last year because they put 5 good kids on the court. This year it feels like they aren’t as complete as a team but they have a couple very good players. TVS did not look good at all. Pretty much getting blown out by Eaton. It could be a long year for TVS basketball.

Seems like pretty stiff competition for a scrimmage. It's a good sign that they showed well. Did they play quarters, and did Tri Village win some of them?
They played 6 quarters and TV won half of them. Lost the other three quarters by 2 or 3 points I believe. TV plays very hard and the new coach I heard is from Indiana. Very successful I was told. Dad was Mr. Basketball in Indiana. He has the kids playing very hard and very physical from what I saw.

FM struggled tonight but the competition did as well. Poor shooting from field and foul line. Lost 50-44 to Troy Christian. Baker played well for FM.

National Trail beat Eaton to win the tip off tournament at TVS. Cameron Harrison was named tournament MVP. He has to be the early favorite for league player of the year. TVS lost to Dixie to start the season 0-2. TVS will be lucky to win 5-6 games this year.

Anything surprising so far? Most teams may not have played yet but a lot of teams either played in a tip off tournament, or had their first game last night. I know it is still extremely early but the CCC teams are not showing very well in OOC games. The only thing that jumped out to me is that Bradford already got a win this season. They are 1-1 and beat Miami Valley last night. Congrats to them. I am not sure that they won a game all season last year.

Not a lot of chatter in here. It may pick up once the season starts taking off. Some league match-ups this weekend... I'm most intrigued with the Tri Village / Ansonia game as I believe these 2 teams could be towards the top of the conference this year. It'll be interesting to see who wins that one.

Tri Village @ Ansonia
Newton @ Bethel
Miss Valley @ Covington
Franklin Monroe @ Miami East
National Trail @ Bradford

How did everyone do this weekend?
I will give updates of some games I know about....

National Trail beat Bradford by 46 on Friday. Beat Preble Shawnee by 2 on Saturday.
Tri Village beat Ansonia by 20 on Friday.
Bethel beat Newton by 22 on Friday.
Miss Valley lost to Covington 42-48 (OT) on Friday. Lost 39-48 to Union City on Saturday.
TVS lost to Waynesville by 15 on Saturday.
Miami East beat FM by 20 on Friday. Beat Graham by 6 on Saturday.
Arcanum lost to Russia by 7 on Saturday.

My takeaway from those games are that Tri Village could be a real competitor this year. Trail is still looking good but will be tested this week when they play Arcanum on Friday night. Miami East is another team that looks decent to start the year.

My takeaway from those games are that Tri Village could be a real competitor this year. Trail is still looking good but will be tested this week when they play Arcanum on Friday night. Miami East is another team that looks decent to start the year.

Even with the 40 point loss to Franklin? I know Franklin is D1 and good this year, but still. Maybe to young for a game that good that early?

Even with the 40 point loss to Franklin? I know Franklin is D1 and good this year, but still. Maybe to young for a game that good that early?
That is what I'm thinking. They are young so I'm sure they will have some bad games. Franklin just seems like a tough matchup for them early in the year. Tri Village will get a lot better as the season goes on and they will be able to compete with the top teams in the CCC. It's still a little too early to tell for sure who the top teams are going to be, but I was thinking that Ansonia would be a top 5 team in the league this year.

Some league match-ups to watch this weekend.... the main match-up to watch is Arcanum @ National Trail. I think this could be the 2 best teams in the league this year. I've noticed that Carter Gray hasn't played in some of the recent games for Arcanum, I would guess that they need him back to have a chance tomorrow.

TVS @ TCN
Arcanum @ National Trail
Bradford @ Miami East
Bethel @ Miss Valley
Ansonia @ Newton

Trail took care of Arcanum pretty easily last weekend. I'm not sure anybody will give Trail a game this year in the league. Miami East is the wild card. We will get a better idea when Miami East plays Arcanum tonight (weather permitting).

Results are very difficult to find. Following Tuesday night's games I checked several newspapers, a CCC Facebook site, and Maxpreps. No scores found.

Is this indicative of lost interest in high school basketball?

Are any CCC schools having trouble having enough players for both a jv and varsity team? Some area conferences are facing this issue. 15 years ago they nearly all had freshman, jv and varsity.

I think Tuesday night scores are hard to find because a lot of schools didn't have school on Tuesday, so their games got cancelled. I know that was the case for TVS vs Trail and Arcanum vs Miami East. Most of the time the best place I go to find scores is Twitter, because there's not a really good site online to check for scores anymore.

As for a loss of interest, I don't necessarily think that is the case. I think some schools go through waves of high/low numbers, but I have never heard of a CCC team not having a JV team. I believe only 5-7 teams in the CCC actually have a Freshman team but that's not something new. It's been that way for a while.

What teams will be playing in a Holiday Tournament this year?

TVS and TCN will both be in the Preble Shawnee Holiday Tournament this year on December 27/28. The other 2 teams in the tournament are Oakwood and Preble Shawnee.

What teams will be playing in a Holiday Tournament this year?

TVS and TCN will both be in the Preble Shawnee Holiday Tournament this year on December 27/28. The other 2 teams in the tournament are Oakwood and Preble Shawnee.
Bethel will be at Piqua with Lehman, Troy Christian and Piqua. Bethel plays Piqua tomorrow.

That's an interesting tournament. A D1 school, a D3 school, and 2 D4 schools.
What I find most interesting is in two years the three smaller schools will be conference opponents. Covington played in this one a couple years, now Bethel is taking their place.
While very small, I believe Troy Christian is a d3 as well as Bethel, so only Lehman would be d4.

What I find most interesting is in two years the three smaller schools will be conference opponents. Covington played in this one a couple years, now Bethel is taking their place.
While very small, I believe Troy Christian is a d3 as well as Bethel, so only Lehman would be d4.
I actually looked up the divisions before posting. I knew Troy Christian could be D3 because of competitive balance points, but they are D4 this year. Troy Christian is listed with 95 boys and a competitive balance number of 30. Making their enrollment number 125 and with that they are one of the bigger D4 schools in the state. It is cool that 3 of the schools will be future conference opponents..

Milton is 3-0 vs future TRC foes. Covington, East and Newton. CCC has always been a great basketball conference.

Milton is 3-0 vs future TRC foes. Covington, East and Newton. CCC has always been a great basketball conference.
Newton will not be joining the TRC, but MU did beat East and Covington. MU seems to be very good this year, and that Freshman is tough.

I actually looked up the divisions before posting. I knew Troy Christian could be D3 because of competitive balance points, but they are D4 this year. Troy Christian is listed with 95 boys and a competitive balance number of 30. Making their enrollment number 125 and with that they are one of the bigger D4 schools in the state. It is cool that 3 of the schools will be future conference opponents..
That's an interesting tournament. A D1 school, a D3 school, and 2 D4 schools.

Recently, one of the smaller schools has always been competitive with Piqua. I am not sure this year is that will be the case though. I actually think its quite hard for a D1 to adjust to a D4 pace and style. Its pretty different. Especially a school like TC which is very well coached. But Piqua overall athletes can wear the smaller schools down down if it comes to that. Usually all these games are very close and it a good viewing experience.

I know Newton isn’t joining.
I thought that's what you were saying when you said Newton is 3-0 vs. future TRC foes. I've looked at the MU schedule and I can't find the 3rd team besides ME and Covington. It does seem like ME and Covington both have decent teams this year, but the overall conference is very down. Maybe the worst I've ever seen it. I think National Trail is the only team that has a shot to win a couple tournament games, and even they aren't as good as they were last year.

Recently, one of the smaller schools has always been competitive with Piqua. I am not sure this year is that will be the case though. I actually think its quite hard for a D1 to adjust to a D4 pace and style. Its pretty different. Especially a school like TC which is very well coached. But Piqua overall athletes can wear the smaller schools down down if it comes to that. Usually all these games are very close and it a good viewing experience.
It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I don't think Bethel will be much of a threat, but like you said TC vs. Piqua could be interesting. Troy Christian is having a good year (7-1) and Piqua is having a bad year (1-6), but I would still think Piqua would be favored by a little bit. I'd love to see the small school get the win.