Cox announces Olympic weight.

To my knowledge, only Tyler Graff and Bo Nickal remain uncommitted in their weight selection. Graff wrestled at 57kg until 2018 when he moved up to 61kg. My guess is that he drops to 57kg. Bo wrestled 92kg at last year's U23 and moved up to 97kg at the 2020 Matteo Pellicone Tourrnament (Ranking Series). He's more of a wild card. Reportedly, he's a small 97kg but doesn't want to challenge Taylor at 86kg.

Last edited:
Seeding Criteria
a. A 2019 World Championship team member who qualifies the weight for the
2020 Olympic Games will automatically receive the #1 seed at the same
weight category in which he qualified, with medalists earning an automatic
berth to Part Two as explained below.
b. Ranked criteria to be used when voting on seeds will be limited to the
following:
i. Head to head within the last year. The “last year” is defined as the
April 2019 U.S. Open up to the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials ‐
Wrestling.
1. If there is a split in matches, the last win determines the top
seed.
ii. Common opponents within the “last year” as defined above.
iii. Medalist at a United World Wrestling (UWW) calendar event within the
“last year.”
iv. Majority vote will decide the higher seed if there are multiple medalists
from UWW calendar events within the “last year.”
c. If there is one 2019 medalist from a UWW calendar event entering the Olympic
weight category, that individual will be placed in the bottom semifinal (Part One).
d. If there are two 2019 medalists from UWW calendar event(s) entering the
Olympic weight, the seeding committee will determine which individual will be
placed in both the top and bottom semifinal (Part One).

The "Part One" and "Part Two" mentioned above are:
Part One
World Championship Team Member did not qualify the weight (57kg, 65kg, 86kg and 125kg).
Part Two
World Championship Team Member did qualify the weight (74kg & 97kg).

Last edited:
Ok, can someone translate that to English with respect to 97kg and Snyder/Cox?

Does Snyder automatically get put in the final best of 3 (Final X? style still?) and Cox get seeded in the bracket to get to Snyder?

Ok, can someone translate that to English with respect to 97kg and Snyder/Cox?

Does Snyder automatically get put in the final best of 3 (Final X? style still?) and Cox get seeded in the bracket to get to Snyder?
Yes, Snyder goes to Day Two finals (Part Two). Cox will get seeded (placed in the semis) in the bracket to get to Snyder. 74kg is the same w/ Burroughs. All other weights just have the bracket and not a guy waiting in the Day Two finals.

So There is a bracket to get to Cox. The winner of the bracket and Cox (1 match right?) gets to move on to best of 3 against Snyder on day 2?

Did I get that right?

So There is a bracket to get to Cox. The winner of the bracket and Cox (1 match right?) gets to move on to best of 3 against Snyder on day 2?

Did I get that right?
No, Cox is automatically placed in the semis of the bracket. He’s in the bracket.

Ah, so Cox has to win 2 matches to get to best of 3 against Snyder, semis and finals of bracket.

Got it, thanks.

The one thing kind of funky w/ Cox advancing to the semis (and Dake as well):
I think this is how they do it. Cox doesn't get seeded. They wrestle the bracket as if Cox doesn't exist. And let's pretend things go as seed. Then after the bottom semis wrestle (2 & 3 seeds), Cox gets plugged in and wrestles the winner of that match in the "new" semis. In theory, if Cox was listed as the #1 seed, he'd wrestle the #4 in the semis and the #2 in the finals. Now he's wrestling the #2 (would be #3 if Cox was seeded) in the semis and the #1 (would be #2 if Cox was seeded) in the finals. I guess if they are changing weights, the thought is that it might be unfair to make them the automatic #1 seed.

How does that bracket even look? How do you add just 1 person in at the semis?

The top half of the bracket doesn't change, the bottom half you just have what would be a "typical" semi (2 vs 3 if no upsets) and the winner gets Cox as he has his own line right there? Winner of that gets the 1 seed (assuming no upsets up top)?

How does that bracket even look? How do you add just 1 person in at the semis?

The top half of the bracket doesn't change, the bottom half you just have what would be a "typical" semi (2 vs 3 if no upsets) and the winner gets Cox as he has his own line right there? Winner of that gets the 1 seed (assuming no upsets up top)?
Correct. You just magically add a new line for the bottom semis winner to face Cox. I saw it drawn out on another forum somewhere but can't find it now.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks, MP. That shows slots for 2 returning medalists. With only one, as in this year's 74kg & 97kg, you delete the top bracket slot for the returning medalist.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that if you're the best guy in the USA, you need to beat the other guys to prove it.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks, MP. That shows slots for 2 returning medalists. With only one, as in this year's 74kg & 97kg, you delete the top bracket slot for the returning medalist.
Glad to help.
When you speak of me...speak highly.

The one thing kind of funky w/ Cox advancing to the semis (and Dake as well):
I think this is how they do it. Cox doesn't get seeded. They wrestle the bracket as if Cox doesn't exist. And let's pretend things go as seed. Then after the bottom semis wrestle (2 & 3 seeds), Cox gets plugged in and wrestles the winner of that match in the "new" semis. In theory, if Cox was listed as the #1 seed, he'd wrestle the #4 in the semis and the #2 in the finals. Now he's wrestling the #2 (would be #3 if Cox was seeded) in the semis and the #1 (would be #2 if Cox was seeded) in the finals. I guess if they are changing weights, the thought is that it might be unfair to make them the automatic #1 seed.

The system is rigged...
just like the pick’em contests run by crooked bdhof!