Cox announces Olympic weight.

I had a feeling this is where he was going after worlds when he said he wants to cement his legacy by beating the best. What better way to do it than beating 2 Olympic Champs in the process.

I'll be rooting for Cox. Snyder defected to the Evil Empire

Cox is too much for Snyder. Love Kyle as a buckeye; sad he left for NLWC, and now that Cox trains some with Ohio RTC makes up for Snyder leaving. However it went down, Cox is better than Kyle, and way too athletic. Cox-Sudalayev will be a battle.

How ironic if cox beats Kyle for the spot after Kyle turncoats ortc for P6U and Cox comes here. Wow. Popcorn time!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yeah i think its a good decision by cox. Synder super good but can make mistakes. Cox doesnt really make mistakes and i think he'll capitalize. Plus i want david taylor to be in the Olympics lol

When Snyder burst onto the scene and won 2 worlds and an Olympic gold, I thought it would be a matter of time before he replaced John Smith, w/ 6 straight World/Olympic titles, as the USA GOAT. After all, he was only 19 when his streak started and had plenty of primetime years left. I think Smith's record looks more secure w/ each passing year. Snyder, previously unchallenged in the USA, now has a formidable foe in Cox (not to mention Sadulaev and others). I don't think Cox would have gone 97kg if he didn't think he could win. Snyder may still beat Cox, but I think it will be a close match. I'm sure they've had plenty of time going after each other. This will be fun. USA World champs are going at each other at 97kg and 74kg (Burroughs & Dake).

Last edited:
Why did Snyder leave? If it was for better training partners better coaching you can’t blame him. He did with 3-titles for Ohio St. he’s still a buckeye. Moving to train where he’s got a better shot at making the Olympic team. Do what’s best for him.

I think Snyder knew he had to change his wrestling style up. People were catching on. Sometimes changing up coaches partners helps out. I think he was smart enough to know things needed fixed and changed.I’ll be rooting for Snyder all the way.

Or maybe he knew Cox was coming to Ohio St? knew that he was going the same weight?
I’d not count Kyle out of anything just yet.

57kg - Fix, Gilman, Lee
65kg - Zain, Yianni
74kg - Burroughs (5x World/OLY gold), Dake (2x World gold)
86kg - Taylor, others
97kg - Cox (2x World gold), Snyder (3x World/OLY gold)
125kg - Gwiz, Steveson

There are gonna be some outstanding matches at the OTTs. I think Taylor is the only solid favorite, and he's coming off knee surgery. I would pick Gwiz as a favorite as well, but Steveson is likely closing the gap. The other weights are all tossups.

57kg - Fix, Gilman, Lee
65kg - Zain, Yianni
86kg - Taylor, others
125kg - Gwiz, Steveson

86kg - OTHERS... Downey, Valencia, Dieringer, Myles, Pfarr, Brooksx2. That's a helluva bracket!!!

Why did Snyder leave? If it was for better training partners better coaching you can’t blame him. He did with 3-titles for Ohio St. he’s still a buckeye. Moving to train where he’s got a better shot at making the Olympic team. Do what’s best for him.

I think Snyder knew he had to change his wrestling style up. People were catching on. Sometimes changing up coaches partners helps out. I think he was smart enough to know things needed fixed and changed.I’ll be rooting for Snyder all the way.

Or maybe he knew Cox was coming to Ohio St? knew that he was going the same weight?
I’d not count Kyle out of anything just yet.
It was a big blow to the ORTC and tOSU when Kyle left. Especially to the nits chit HUGE! They lost #1 recruit capt Kirk as a result. I don’t think TR and Trevel would bring in cox knowing he was going to try to bump their golden boy out of a spot. In fact there’s NO way they do that. But I get what Kyle was doing. He was getting stale only winning medals not golds and felt he needed a change. Cox must have seen something to come here tho? He even mentioned Moore whom he trains with now.
thnx for the popcorn bd!

Hypothetically, let's say Bo goes to 86kg. Who are your top two?
I don't believe that will happen. Changed my mind. I can see it.

Taylor, Bo, PDIII, Valencia, Myles. That's my take.

Last edited:
57kg - Fix, Gilman, Lee
65kg - Zain, Yianni
86kg - Taylor, others
125kg - Gwiz, Steveson

There are gonna be some outstanding matches at the OTTs. I think Taylor is the only solid favorite, and he's coming off knee surgery. I would pick Gwiz as a favorite as well, but Steveson is likely closing the gap. The other weights are all tossups.

You’re forgetting 1 really big name at 65kg who crushed the opposition at The Open. Jordan Oliver. He also made the finals at the Italian Ranking series tournament losing only to World Medalist Bajrang.

You’re forgetting 1 really big name at 65kg who crushed the opposition at The Open. Jordan Oliver. He also made the finals at the Italian Ranking series tournament losing only to World Medalist Bajrang.
To be fair...there are others not mentioned. BUT...JO looked great last time out. I believe he beats Bajrang next time.

Yeah, that was a BIG miss on my part. I might pick him to win the spot for Team USA at 65kg.

And at 86kg, Taylor in his prime is a solid favorite. But Taylor coming off knee surgery could be challenged by Ringer, Valencia, and dare I say...PDIII.

And at 86kg, Taylor in his prime is a solid favorite. But Taylor coming off knee surgery could be challenged by Ringer, Valencia, and dare I say...PDIII.
I have a good feeling about PDIII. I believe he's gonna surprise some. He's been wrestling quite a bit. He's looks to be in great shape. He's a brawler. He's a little bit crazy. He's motivated and he cut his hair.(terrible idea in my estimation) He's not gonna beat Taylor, bad knee or good knee. I believe he beats Dieringer(he's too small,hard to believe to look at him), Myles(who looked good last time out) Brooksx2 and Pfarr. That only leaves Valencia and I believe he's beatable by a couple listed above. Although if I knew anything I'd be rich.

The last couple months of wrestling season is the best time to be a fan AND this year we get the Olympic Trials after the NCAA Tourney. (y)

I'd like to see Bo Nickal against any of the other top US wrestlers at 86kg. I don't think that is a tough cut for him after going 197lbs as a senior. Just curious how well his style works in freestyle and against the best from a few years ago.

I'd like to see Bo Nickal against any of the other top US wrestlers at 86kg. I don't think that is a tough cut for him after going 197lbs as a senior. Just curious how well his style works in freestyle and against the best from a few years ago.
The more I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if you get to see it. Cox at 97 almost makes Bo's decision for him.

57kg - Fix, Gilman, Lee
65kg - Zain, Yianni
86kg - Taylor, others
125kg - Gwiz, Steveson

57 - Maybe not this cycle but I really like Arujau in free much more than folk.
65 - Jordan Oliver JO has the talent it’s his time to shine, man has the US been bad in this weight recently.
74 - Jason Nolf, IMar, Hall or at 86 Can’t wait to see Nolf, think he can be an amazing freestyler and Hall’s freestyle results speak for themselves.
86 - Zahid Valencia
97 - Nickal hopefully down at 86
125 - Mason Parris, Gwiz is good but Parris and Steveson are going to give him problems and overtake him very soon IMO

57 - Maybe not this cycle but I really like Arujau in free much more than folk.
65 - Jordan Oliver JO has the talent it’s his time to shine, man has the US been bad in this weight recently.
74 - Jason Nolf, IMar, Hall or at 86 Can’t wait to see Nolf, think he can be an amazing freestyler and Hall’s freestyle results speak for themselves.
86 - Zahid Valencia
97 - Nickal hopefully down at 86
125 - Mason Parris, Gwiz is good but Parris and Steveson are going to give him problems and overtake him very soon IMO
I think Mason Parris is problems for guys. We know Gable is right with Gwiz- they were extremely close twice last year. I've seen Parris handle really big guys (Zare is huge, so is Cassioppi) so someone like Nelson or Bradley scares me less than they did against Gable. There's so much transitive matchups I've been having with Parris in my head (Zare beats Kerkvliet, who is pretty good, and who lost to Gable close in folk) I just don't think we can count him out.

Gimme J'Den over Snyder. I just think J'Den is maybe the best wrestler in the USA right now. I know he won two weaker weights at 92kg the last two years, but he's right there with the best wrestlers in the world. I also think he's the USA's best shot at beating Sadulaev.

It was a big blow to the ORTC and tOSU when Kyle left. Especially to the nits chit HUGE! They lost #1 recruit capt Kirk as a result. I don’t think TR and Trevel would bring in cox knowing he was going to try to bump their golden boy out of a spot. In fact there’s NO way they do that. But I get what Kyle was doing. He was getting stale only winning medals not golds and felt he needed a change. Cox must have seen something to come here tho? He even mentioned Moore whom he trains with now.
thnx for the popcorn bd!
"Cox must have seen something to come here tho?"
Yes he did, and it ain't to train with with Moore. When he announced that he was coming to the ORTC to train (although part-time), I knew then that he was gonna go 97. Pretty simple, he came for Trevel! No one on this planet knows Kyle better than Trevel knows Kyle from a wrestling standpoint.

Since this has morphed into an OTT thread (altho I'm sure another one will pop up prior to the OTT), I'll throw out all the qualifiers thus far. BTW, I stole this from RoarLions1 on another thread.

QUALIFIERS FOR THE 2020 U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS – WRESTLING
As of February 9, 2020

Men’s freestyle

57 kg
2018 World Team member – Thomas Gilman (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)
2019 World Team member – Daton Fix (Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Seth Gross (Sunkist Kids)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Spencer Lee (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Nathan Tomasello (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Vitali Arujau (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Nick Suriano (NYC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Zach Sanders (Gopher WC - RTC)
*2018 Final X champion – Nahshon Garrett (Sunkist Kids)
*2018 World Team member – Joe Colon (Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (61 kg)
2019 World Team member – Tyler Graff (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)

65 kg
2018 World Team member – Logan Stieber (Titan Mercury WC)
2019 World Team member – Zain Retherford (Nittany Lion WC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Jordan Oliver (Sunkist Kids WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Joey McKenna (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Nick Lee (Nittany Lion WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Yianni Diakomihalis (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Frank Molinaro (Titan Mercury WC)

74 kg
Automatic Final X berth – Jordan Burroughs, 2019 World bronze medalist (Sunkist Kids)
2019 Junior World champion – David Carr (Cyclone RTC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Isaiah Martinez (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Logan Massa (NYAC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Mekhi Lewis (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Thomas Gantt (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Evan Wick (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Anthony Valencia (Sunkist Kids)
2019 World Team member – James Green (Sunkist Kids)
*2019 World Team member – Kyle Dake (Titan Mercury WC)
Note: As a 2019 World champion at a non-Olympic weight, Dake earns a bid to the semifinals of the weight he chooses

86 kg
2018 World Team member – David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC)
2019 World Team member – Pat Downey (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Alex Dieringer (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Zahid Valencia (Sunkist Kids)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Myles Martin (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Brett Pfarr (Gopher WC - RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Samuel Brooks (New York AC)

Qualified at non-Olympic weight (92 kg)
2019 U23 World champion – Bo Nickal (Nittany Lion WC)

97 kg
Automatic Final X berth – Kyle Snyder, 2019 World bronze medalist (Titan Mercury)
2019 Bill Farrell International silver medalist – Mike Macchiavello (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Hayden Zillmer (Gopher WC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Kollin Moore (Ohio RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Ty Walz (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Kyven Gadson (Sunkist Kids WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Jacob Kasper (Titan Mercury WC)
*2019 World Team member – J’den Cox (Titan Mercury WC/USOPTC)
Note: As a 2019 World champion at a non-Olympic weight, Cox earns a bid to the semifinals of the weight he chooses

125 kg
2019 World Team member – Nick Gwiazdowski (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack WC)
2019 Junior World champion – Mason Parris (Cliff Keen WC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Gable Steveson (Gopher WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Dom Bradley (Sunkist Kids)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Anthony Nelson (Gopher WC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Daniel Kerkvliet (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Nick Nevills (Nittany Lion WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Garrett Ryan (Sunkist Kids)

Additional Qualifiers (Key Dates) for the OLYMPIC TRIALS;
-- March 6-9 Pan American Games in Ottawa, Canada – ONLY GOLD MEDALISTS can earn their way (obviously moot if they’re already listed above)
-- March 13-15 Pan American Olympic Qualifier in Ottawa, Canada – ONLY WRESTLERS WHO QUALIFY AN OLYMPIC WEIGHT FOR THE USA will earn a spot at the Olympic Trials (obviously moot for 74kg and 97kg, and for any wrestler already on the list above)
-- March 19-21 NCAA Championships – ONLY NCAA CHAMPIONS can earn a spot (obviously moot for any wrestler already on the list above)
-- March 26-28 USA Last Chance Qualifier in Millersville, PA – TOP-2 FINISHERS will earn a spot (wrestlers already qualified cannot wrestle in this event)

*Qualified at non-Olympic weight