Cowherd

I'm around guys all the time and we talk alot of sports. Soccer...Never...Comes...Up...

Plenty of people watch soccer every week, especially the Premier League on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I used to watch it regularly for a few years, but eventually drifted away because work responsibilities left me unable to watch the heart of the season.

But I still enjoy watching the international tournaments like the World Cup and European Championship.

Anecdotally, a week and a half ago when the US played the Netherlands in the Round of 16 on a Saturday morning at 10 a.m., I went to Holy Grail across from the Reds stadium around 9:15 a.m. that morning. I was lucky to get one seat at the bar. The place was already crowded. By kickoff, there had to be 400 people in there if I had to guess. Jam packed with people standing everywhere.

I enjoy several sports more than soccer, but the rise of soccer’s mainstream popularity in America is undeniable.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I'll need some more data that a couple of young men. Good heavens, we could include ax throwing as an up and coming sport if we drill down that far. OVERALL- IN GENERAL - THE MASSES.
Just scan your cable TV channels on Saturday and Sunday mornings once the World Cup is over. For years now, US networks have been broadcasting not only the English Premier League, but La Liga, The Champions League, and Bundesliga on AMERICAN TV NETWORKS. These are the 4 major European soccer leagues.

Why do you think they do that? So my two sons can watch? No, because they get better ratings than everything else on Sunday mornings.

You can catch the EPL games on the USA Network and NBC (and all of their affiliates). ESPN, ESPN+, Paramount cover the other three leagues. Oh, and Apple Plus just paid a pretty penny for exclusive rights to every MLS game, they stole them away from the Bally Sports and other regional sports networks.

It is gaining popularity, like it or not. Pull your head out of the sand. Or out of your backside. Wherever your head is, pull it out.

Plenty of people watch soccer every week, especially the Premier League on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I used to watch it regularly for a few years, but eventually drifted away because work responsibilities left me unable to watch the heart of the season.

But I still enjoy watching the international tournaments like the World Cup and European Championship.

Anecdotally, a week and a half ago when the US played the Netherlands in the Round of 16 on a Saturday morning at 10 a.m., I went to Holy Grail across from the Reds stadium around 9:15 a.m. that morning. I was lucky to get one seat at the bar. The place was already crowded. By kickoff, there had to be 400 people in there if I had to guess. Jam packed with people standing everywhere.

I enjoy several sports more than soccer, but the rise of soccer’s mainstream popularity in America is undeniable.

No I don't trust you and it's not true. there are hundreds of channels than need content so they throw soccer games on there. the NCAA finals were on last night and I don't know that it was televised. It wasn't on ESPN or ESPN2, I know that. You'd think they could put it off a day and put it on ESPN tonight, but to my point, I'm an Indiana University fan and I didn't realize they were in the finals until it was overtime????

I'm around guys all the time and we talk alot of sports. Soccer...Never...Comes...Up...

Here is 14Red and his friends talking about sports. Some people never evolve, and that's OK, but to deny reality just because you don;t like it is silly.

1670964431875.png

Just scan your cable TV channels on Saturday and Sunday mornings once the World Cup is over. For years now, US networks have been broadcasting not only the English Premier League, but La Liga, The Champions League, and Bundesliga on AMERICAN TV NETWORKS. These are the 4 major European soccer leagues.

Why do you think they do that? So my two sons can watch? No, because they get better ratings than everything else on Sunday mornings.

You can catch the EPL games on the USA Network and NBC (and all of their affiliates). ESPN, ESPN+, Paramount cover the other three leagues. Oh, and Apple Plus just paid a pretty penny for exclusive rights to every MLS game, they stole them away from the Bally Sports and other regional sports networks.

It is gaining popularity, like it or not. Pull your head out of the sand. Or out of your backside. Wherever your head is, pull it out.
Just put enough channels and networks out there and you'll find all kinds of programming. I saw ESPN had some new sport that looks like soccer on a ping pong table. Is that going to sweep the nation??? NOT!

Just put enough channels and networks out there and you'll find all kinds of programming. I saw ESPN had some new sport that looks like soccer on a ping pong table. Is that going to sweep the nation??? NOT!
Read and comprehend - they are the TOP RATED shows on Sunday morning on all of cable.

No I don't trust you and it's not true. there are hundreds of channels than need content so they throw soccer games on there. the NCAA finals were on last night and I don't know that it was televised. It wasn't on ESPN or ESPN2, I know that. You'd think they could put it off a day and put it on ESPN tonight, but to my point, I'm an Indiana University fan and I didn't realize they were in the finals until it was overtime????
The NCAA finals of what, soccer? Guess what, a lot of people don’t watch college baseball, but they still like MLB. They don’t watch college golf, but they still watch the PGA Tour and especially major championships. They don’t watch college tennis, but they still tune in for the tennis Grand Slams.

@14Red you should read the attached link/press release after the conclusion of the 2021-22 EPL season in May. Notable excerpt:

NBC Sports averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 507,000 viewers per TV match window (includes NBC, USA Network, CNBC, and NBCSN) for the 2021-22 season – second-best ever and up 21% from last season (414,000) (does not include exclusive Peacock streaming or Spanish-language telecasts).

In addition, a record 12 matches this season averaged a TAD of at least 1 million viewers – 50% above the prior record (eight in 2020-21 and 2015-16).

And MLS interest is also growing:

Notable excerpts:

Major League Soccer (MLS) has benefited from an increase in domestic viewership across Disney’s media networks during the 2022 regular season, with ABC and ESPN recording their best audiences since 2007.

Across both networks the 34 regular season televised games brought in an average audience of 343,000 viewers – a 16 per cent increase from last year’s average of 295,000. Disney has confirmedthe 2022 regular season was the most viewed on its networks for 15 years, coming close to 2007’s average of 357,000 viewers.

For the first time, the league had three clubs average more than 30,000 fans per game, with Atlanta joined by Seattle Sounders and Charlotte FC. Charlotte also smashed the single-match attendance record, with 74,479 supporters attending their home debut defeat against the Los Angeles Galaxy in March.

@14Red you should read the attached link/press release after the conclusion of the 2021-22 EPL season in May. Notable excerpt:

NBC Sports averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 507,000 viewers per TV match window (includes NBC, USA Network, CNBC, and NBCSN) for the 2021-22 season – second-best ever and up 21% from last season (414,000) (does not include exclusive Peacock streaming or Spanish-language telecasts).

In addition, a record 12 matches this season averaged a TAD of at least 1 million viewers – 50% above the prior record (eight in 2020-21 and 2015-16).

And MLS interest is also growing:

Notable excerpts:

Major League Soccer (MLS) has benefited from an increase in domestic viewership across Disney’s media networks during the 2022 regular season, with ABC and ESPN recording their best audiences since 2007.

Across both networks the 34 regular season televised games brought in an average audience of 343,000 viewers – a 16 per cent increase from last year’s average of 295,000. Disney has confirmedthe 2022 regular season was the most viewed on its networks for 15 years, coming close to 2007’s average of 357,000 viewers.

For the first time, the league had three clubs average more than 30,000 fans per game, with Atlanta joined by Seattle Sounders and Charlotte FC. Charlotte also smashed the single-match attendance record, with 74,479 supporters attending their home debut defeat against the Los Angeles Galaxy in March.

This is all great, but it reminds me of the Olympic spikes in TV viewing. It's every 4 years (World Cup) and my guess is even those who are watching the US-less World Cup final rounds...the ratings will go back down to where they were before. I remember a team in the 70's the New York Cosmos, they had the supposed best player in the world in Pele. They, like, you, were telling us that soccer was taking over the sports world. Heck back then the NFL was just another sports league, the NBA was ridden with drugs and poor management and soccer couldn't get a foothold.
Thanks for the info, I'll stick with my major sports of football, basketball and baseball. As I tell golf, hockey, soccer, tennis, auto racing fans, my sports plate is full. Don't have the appetite for those other sports.

It was on one of the ESPN channels, maybe ESPNU? I know, because I watched it - it was a great game.

So Monday night football and the Mannings trump the NCAA college soccer championship - as it should be.
No one’s arguing that soccer is as popular as the NFL, nor that it will be anytime soon.

And not sure college soccer has ever been widely watched. Just part of whatever deal the NCAA has with ABC/ESPN
that promises each sports Championship will be on their channels

So this week the stars aligned for Cowherd, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, all won games and he's his typical giddy over "franchise" quarterbacks. Does he not realize that many of these guys have really good teams around them - maybe not Lawrence but the Jags are one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Of course at the beginning of the season he was all about Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray....hmmm....
And he takes great pride in taking shots at the Patriots. I'll say this...regardless of whatever the Patriots do, all Belichick has to say is -- scoreboard. He's been to 9 super bowls since 2000, winning 6. No one has ever had that kind of run, and no one ever will again.

So this week the stars aligned for Cowherd, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, all won games and he's his typical giddy over "franchise" quarterbacks. Does he not realize that many of these guys have really good teams around them - maybe not Lawrence but the Jags are one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Of course at the beginning of the season he was all about Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray....hmmm....
And he takes great pride in taking shots at the Patriots. I'll say this...regardless of whatever the Patriots do, all Belichick has to say is -- scoreboard. He's been to 9 super bowls since 2000, winning 6. No one has ever had that kind of run, and no one ever will again.

Cowherd has been a big fan of Russell Wilson but I do not recall him being for or against Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson. Cowherd has said he would go ahead and pay each/sign them to a 2nd contract.

As for Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert - yea their teams are good but in large part it is because these qb’s elevate the talent around them. Lawrence, still a rookie ; I’m not counting the Meyer experience against him.

I’m fine with most of cowherd’s reactions to the qb’s.

yea....Sunday morning....big tv day....
Well, last Sunday morning Fox pulled in almost 18 million viewers for the France/Argentina World Cup final.

World Series averaged just under 12 million per game in prime time on the same network.

Sorry to rock your world with facts, but once again you simply do not know what you are talking about.

Well, last Sunday morning Fox pulled in almost 18 million viewers for the France/Argentina World Cup final.

World Series averaged just under 12 million per game in prime time on the same network.

Sorry to rock your world with facts, but once again you simply do not know what you are talking about.
I did hear that this morning, that's astounding to me. But remember that the World Cup is every 4 years. Baseball is every year, and world series is best of 4, also, baseball fans tend to be very regionalized now. I'll say this, MANY American tv watchers are somehow enamored with the odd ball stuff, like Olympics / International games that occur every 4 years.
The only reason I knew the world cup final was going on was the last penalty kick was decided about 12:50 PM EST - just before the 1PM kickoffs. I REALLY wonder if this was done on purpose to piggyback on the NFL audience.
I do know what I'm talking about, and soccer will never cut it here - in an annual, regular basis. How did the MLS finals ratings look BTW???
I can't even name 5 MLS teams.

Cowherd is such a dork. He's ranking his QB's left in the playoffs... he has Trevor Lawrence #4???

I don't get Cowherd? He's so wishy washy....
Pretty much all season, he has his select QB group, Burrow, Herbert, Kyler, Lamar, Tua, Russ... He rips Cousins, Mack Jones and Daniel Jones all the time.
He openly promotes coaches to teams that already has coaches.... THEN complains at the end of the season because teams are impatient???

Colin put out his top 10 QB list yesterday.... Trever Lawrence....#3!!! That's insane.

You do realize the main part of his job is to come up with radical views because it leads to debate/people following?

We're going to find out someday that LeBron funded Colin Cowherd's show. It's incredible how they guys on that show just bend over backwards for LeBron. Longevity wise, keeping in shape, LeBron has been phenomenal. Outside of that, he's left one team to another to win all of his titles, Ray Allen bailed him out once in Miami for a title, Draymond Green's suspension got him the Cavs one and the bubble in '20 with the Lakers is tarnished with the way it was scripted.