Covington @ West Jefferson

I do think WJ matches up better against Cov than they did against Anna. If their defense plays more consistent I think they win as their offense remained pretty potent against Anna. I look for Cov to bring a physical football game to WJ. Early prediction 42-28

Rooting for Covington, but I got West Jeff big here. Thinking 42-14, would love to be wrong though.

This should be a running clock for WJ. If Covington can't hang with FL, WJ will do the same. 41-7 WJ!

Covington has a very rich tradition in football and a great website: Buccsfootball.com
* All time Record: 508 wins, 214 losses, 13 ties
* 23 playoff appearances, 17-23 record
* 1979 State Runner-up
* Their most famous alum is 2014 grad, running back AJ Ouellette. He walked on at Ohio U and played as a freshman. Ran for over 3,000 yards at OU and had a tryout with the New Orleans Saints. Last year he played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts. The 2013 Covington team with Ouellette as a senior went 11-1 losing to eventual state champ Marion Local 35-28.

WJ has to play way better than they did last week if they hope to win this Saturday vs Covington.

Covington has a very rich tradition in football and a great website: Buccsfootball.com
* 1979 State Runner-up
* Their most famous alum is 2014 grad, running back AJ Ouellette. He walked on at Ohio U and played as a freshman. Ran for over 3,000 yards at OU and had a tryout with the New Orleans Saints. Last year he played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts. The 2013 Covington team with Ouellette as a senior went 11-1 losing to eventual state champ Marion Local 35-28.

WJ has to play way better than they did last week if they hope to win this Saturday vs Covington.
Wanna say Olouette earned a scholly very quick his FROSH year when they saw in person what he could do. Almost beat MSML by himself.

With that said, Covington has not have much luck in the postseason.

Versailles scrimmaged Covington and played Anna 1st game, back then Anna was better than The Bucs.

* 1979 State Runner-up

Covington also produced Tim Vogler. A lot older than Ouellette but had a good NFL career.

I'm kind of indifferent. I played both these teams in HS and wouldn't mind seeing either play us again. Of course we need to beat the Wabash river Wahoos this week for any kind of matchup to materialize.
I’m a Covington alum myself, and fully aware of our playoff history lol, which is why I try to stay realistic for our teams

* 1979 State Runner-up

You can rest easy this week. Can Covington defeat WJ? Yes, even a blind pig will find an acorn once in awhile. This is a bad matchup for Covington. Anna was much more prepared for WJ than what Covington will be. How is WJ vs the triple option? That would be my only concern, but from what I hear, WJ is very tough to run on so bet they handle the option well enough. Dont see Covington getting more than 14 in this one.

Gotta go with West Jeff in this one. Covington seems young this year. Would love to pick our neighbors to the north but doesn't seem like it will happen.
Good luck to the Buccs from Milton-Union!
West Jefferson 38
Covington 7

* 1979 State Runner-up

FYI............AJ Ouellette was an all-state wrestler as well in HS!!!!
Gotta love them football/wrestling kids.

I'm kind of indifferent. I played both these teams in HS and wouldn't mind seeing either play us again. Of course we need to beat the Wabash river Wahoos this week for any kind of matchup to materialize.

I know people think I am crazy as CW has certainly had their way with WJ, but hey I'll welcome another shot at the Big Dog. I don't care how much of an underdog we would be, you should always want a shot at those on the top of the mountain!!!

First things first though.............focus on a solid, good football team in Covington.

Gotta go with West Jeff in this one. Covington seems young this year. Would love to pick our neighbors to the north but doesn't seem like it will happen.
Good luck to the Buccs from Milton-Union!
West Jefferson 38
Covington 7

Yes, this is a younger Covington team. Not a bad team, but not one of their stronger playoff teams either.

Looks like on tape the Bucs will run a heavy backfield in short downs. They do have a good backfield and a huge O-line.
Their WR's are tall and might give WJ a matchup problem there.
Their QB is fast and can break tackles.
WJ has had a problem in the 1st half this year stopping the run until they can make some adjustments at the half.
On D for the Bucs, they are small but quick.

Last week, the Bucs were losing 24-7 until late in the 3rd qtr when they scored making it 24-14 and the score stayed that way until 3 minutes left in the game they started coming alive. Then, Covington had to really pick it up and with 1 minute left in the game they went ahead 30-24 and held on for the win.
So the Bucs can score very quickly when they need to!
Their defense did give up over 400 passing yards in that game and that falls right down WJ's alley but their D allowed -35 yards rushing.

Here is the Bucs winning percentage 71%
Here is WJ's 69%

Somethings gotta give as these teams prepare to play each other for the first time ever.

Looks like on tape the Bucs will run a heavy backfield in short downs. They do have a good backfield and a huge O-line.
Their WR's are tall and might give WJ a matchup problem there.
Their QB is fast and can break tackles.
WJ has had a problem in the 1st half this year stopping the run until they can make some adjustments at the half.
On D for the Bucs, they are small but quick.

Last week, the Bucs were losing 24-7 until late in the 3rd qtr when they scored making it 24-14 and the score stayed that way until 3 minutes left in the game they started coming alive. Then, Covington had to really pick it up and with 1 minute left in the game they went ahead 30-24 and held on for the win.
So the Bucs can score very quickly when they need to!
Their defense did give up over 400 passing yards in that game and that falls right down WJ's alley but their D allowed -35 yards rushing.

Here is the Bucs winning percentage 71%
Here is WJ's 69%

Somethings gotta give as these teams prepare to play each other for the first time ever.

It's the Covington defense that has me the most concerned when facing West Jefferson. The Rough Riders will be so balanced, I don't know that the Buccs can slow them down at all.

It's the Covington defense that has me the most concerned when facing West Jefferson. The Rough Riders will be so balanced, I don't know that the Buccs can slow them down at all.
I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I think the buccs will have a difficult time stopping the riders. However, their attack won’t be balanced. WJ can’t run the ball for some reason. It doesn’t add up. They have historically ran the FB very well but for some reason they can’t this year. Their personnel looks good but they just don’t commit to it. They may pass the ball at will but the running game has real problems. I believe the riders will win this game by 2-3 TDs but it will happen through the air.

From last years team WJ graduated 5 O-linemen who were perhaps the best online in WJ history, each 260+, one being perhaps the best O-lineman to ever go thru WJ. WJ also graduated one of their best RB’s who was the fastest player I have ever seen in WJ history. Fast forward to 2020 season and WJ’s Is breaking in a new O-line and their best player is a wideout......not to hard for me to see why WJ has struggled running the ball and is a pass first team this year.

From last years team WJ graduated 5 O-linemen who were perhaps the best online in WJ history, each 260+, one being perhaps the best O-lineman to ever go thru WJ. WJ also graduated one of their best RB’s who was the fastest player I have ever seen in WJ history. Fast forward to 2020 season and WJ’s Is breaking in a new O-line and their best player is a wideout......not to hard for me to see why WJ has struggled running the ball and is a pass first team this year.

Yep that was quite a running attack the riders graduated. That receiver made a hell of a play to get in position for the comeback win vs Anna. I thought the passing had something to do with having the 2nd highest rated qb in the OHC and maybe some goals there.