Covington cancels game in 2022

Too many Highschools in Ohio. Most D7 schools should be absorbed by larger neighboring districts.
I’ve said that before. Covington, Bradford and Newton could merge into a Miami West school district that would be probably d4.
The problem is the communities would never allow that.

I’ve said that before. Covington, Bradford and Newton could merge into a Miami West school district that would be probably d4.
In due time the state will say enough is enough as numbers drop.

There needs to be a southwest 8 man conference like there is up in the far NW of Ohio. These teams can easily transition to that.

This almost happened but too many crochety people in those communities who fought it because "that's not what I experienced" and yet are the same ones who let places like these languish with century old derelict buildings and complain about property taxes trying to get new ones. While I hate taxes, too, until you can get past that culture you're going to be stuck with too many districts.

If you read the historical record, places that are the results of consolidations - especially in that area (like Miami East, Vandalia-Butler, Troy, and Northridge) that occurred many years ago basically told the residents "this is what we are doing" and did it while bearing the repercussions. However, there were many other societal changes that happened which lent teeth to these mergers such as the Progressive Era and that whole "maybe our children shouldn't be working in mines" thing. So short of that happening (Again, see culture and complaints), this is always an uphill massive battle.

But to the above point, there are way too many. Ohio as a whole should adopt more county-level aspects including schools, safety services, infrastructure, etc. but as the good home rule state we are, good luck with such a shift. If more populous states can do this, Ohio certainly can.

This almost happened but too many crochety people in those communities who fought it because "that's not what I experienced" and yet are the same ones who let places like these languish with century old derelict buildings and complain about property taxes trying to get new ones. While I hate taxes, too, until you can get past that culture you're going to be stuck with too many districts.

If you read the historical record, places that are the results of consolidations - especially in that area (like Miami East, Vandalia-Butler, Troy, and Northridge) that occurred many years ago basically told the residents "this is what we are doing" and did it while bearing the repercussions. However, there were many other societal changes that happened which lent teeth to these mergers such as the Progressive Era and that whole "maybe our children shouldn't be working in mines" thing. So short of that happening (Again, see culture and complaints), this is always an uphill massive battle.

But to the above point, there are way too many. Ohio as a whole should adopt more county-level aspects including schools, safety services, infrastructure, etc. but as the good home rule state we are, good luck with such a shift. If more populous states can do this, Ohio certainly can.
There is a valid point to consolidation and the parents that have kids in schools that are smaller need to make their voices heard. I know that when Northmont was created, there was a huge backlash from the people in Phillipsburg and there was always a gap in culture between the more city-type kids from northern Dayton ( which is now Clayton) and the Pburg kids. Some just went to Brookville or Milton. I don’t like schools that are the size of Northmont, Centerville, etc. I do think a school to serve Covington, Bradford, and P Hill would be warranted. Milton is a nice sized school as is Miami East and Bethel. You start getting classes in the 20-40 kid range and the overhead doesn’t justify that. Miami County could have Miami East/West, Troy, Tipp, Piqua, Bethel and MU. 7 districts is plenty. Look at Preble County. Tri County and Twin Valley could merge, National Trail is a good sized school as is Shawnee and Eaton. But it still doesnt have 9 districts like Miami County. Darke has 7! Way too many.

These debates are always comical to me. People always seem to know what’s best for other schools and what they should do differently, but their own schools are fine 🤣

There is a valid point to consolidation and the parents that have kids in schools that are smaller need to make their voices heard. I know that when Northmont was created, there was a huge backlash from the people in Phillipsburg and there was always a gap in culture between the more city-type kids from northern Dayton ( which is now Clayton) and the Pburg kids. Some just went to Brookville or Milton. I don’t like schools that are the size of Northmont, Centerville, etc. I do think a school to serve Covington, Bradford, and P Hill would be warranted. Milton is a nice sized school as is Miami East and Bethel. You start getting classes in the 20-40 kid range and the overhead doesn’t justify that. Miami County could have Miami East/West, Troy, Tipp, Piqua, Bethel and MU. 7 districts is plenty. Look at Preble County. Tri County and Twin Valley could merge, National Trail is a good sized school as is Shawnee and Eaton. But it still doesnt have 9 districts like Miami County. Darke has 7! Way too many.
Covington is a D-6 school about the same size as most MAC schools, no need to consolidate, New Bremen was in the same boat several years ago, it's up to the community to rally around the program (community support) like New Bremen did.

These debates are always comical to me. People always seem to know what’s best for other schools and what they should do differently, but their own schools are fine 🤣
Then there are people like you that feel they know what content in threads should be. You don’t like it, don’t read it. It kinda eliminates the need for this site, right?

Covington is a D-6 school about the same size as most MAC schools, no need to consolidate, New Bremen was in the same boat several years ago, it's up to the community to rally around the program (community support) like New Bremen did.
I respect that viewpoint. MAC schools are much different than TRC schools and communities. New Bremen is a different animal all together.

Lockland had 16 last week
There are some extremely small rosters out there.

My school played a DIV team from a large urban district a few years ago which had 18 players in uniform and finished the season 1-9.

I streamed a game last weekend involving a DIV school (previously DIII for many years) from a suburban school district. There were 26 players in uniform and another 8 guys in street clothes who were wearing jerseys. Since going 5-5 in 2017, the program has gone 5-48 which includes an 0-5 start. They beat a bad DVII team in week 2 only to have to forfeit the win due to an ineligible player. Said DVII team was a private school that had 20 players in uniform.

You beat me to it - Yes, NB is a totally different animal due to the fact of the money in that community. Crown rules that town.
You both beat me to it. On its surface, NB looked like the most financially well-off of the MAC communities I've visited (NB, Minster, Coldwater, New Knoxville, Maria Stein, St. Henry, and Ft. Recovery - haven't seen Anna, Versailles, Rockford, or Delphos). Minster looked good as well, and none of the towns I saw resembled the rundown towns like you might see in the old industrial and mining areas of eastern OH, but NB seemed to have all the banks in addition to Crown's operation. NB also had a high volume of hustle and bustle for such a small population.

Last edited:
Excellent addition and points. Northmont is almost too big for sure.

More, smaller districts also pressures the resources of the ESC. Even though ESCs can provide the services to multiple districts they could not afford on their own, they are taxed by more and more districts needing services without the increased requisite funding.

It's probably more for another thread, but I would love to see a list of schools that are playing with 20 or less players currently. We should start a thread and start a list. Just curious.....