Covington cancels game in 2022

That’s a shame. Covington is a name I knew just from reading the Enquirer which was a big deal in the mid to late 90s on Sundays. Any kid I see at the game my son would be attending or playing in, I tell them football will give you the most opportunity for playing time then any other sport.

As others have said, it's a shock, because they were still doing very well just a couple of years ago. I think they won 10 games in 2019 and went to regional final. Have just fallen off a cliff since their former coach left for Vandalia Butler.

I don't think the program is beyond saving by any means. I'm sure they'll be back sooner or later.

That’s a shame. Covington is a name I knew just from reading the Enquirer which was a big deal in the mid to late 90s on Sundays. Any kid I see at the game my son would be attending or playing in, I tell them football will give you the most opportunity for playing time then any other sport.
Of sports where only a finite number of people can be in the competition area at one time, that is true. Otherwise, you've got what I might call the "participation sports" like cross country, track, swimming, etc. Then there's wrestling where if you crack the varsity lineup, you could potentially have 5 matches in a day at a weekend event. I was a nondescript JV XC runner in HS, and I actually ran more races than some of the varsity guys. They got to sit out a few dual meets (almost nobody runs those anymore) where they weren't needed for us to win. In exchange, they got to run the 3 postseason meets where only the top 7 compete (district, regional, state), but at least their race load was spread out over 3 extra weeks. In 1 of my XC seasons, I ran 15 XC races in 56 days. They raced me into the ground, haha.

Back on topic, I hate to see this happen, but this is where we're at with a considerable number of programs. It's difficult to rebuild a program when you're living 1 week at a time hoping injuries don't bury you. It's disruptive on multiple levels (not playing games each week or having to keep moving guys around before they can get a firm grasp on how to play their previous position), and continuity is a big key to most strong programs.

That is really sad to hear. We had a little rivalry going on with them in the late 90's, I went to Cedarville. I was always impressed on how nice they took care of their field and how they had numbers on every 5 yard line, when most schools do every ten. Its kind of funny to remember stuff like that but you could tell they took a lot of pride in their program. I hope they get it back to where it was again soon.

That is really sad to hear. We had a little rivalry going on with them in the late 90's, I went to Cedarville. I was always impressed on how nice they took care of their field and how they had numbers on every 5 yard line, when most schools do every ten. Its kind of funny to remember stuff like that but you could tell they took a lot of pride in their program. I hope they get it back to where it was again soon.
Speaking of Cedarville, that's a program that has not been what it once was, Southeastern as well.

I posted this on the TRC thread as well.

I'm in almost disbelief of how far Covington's program has fallen. In just 2016, Covington was 10-0 and finished losing in the Regional Semi-Finals of R28, to go 11-1. In 2019 they go 8-2, make the playoffs, win two playoff games, but lose in the third round to go 10-3. Then we have the Covid season in which they go 4-1, lose in the first round of the playoffs, and then lose 3 of the next 4 scheduled games. In 2021, they leave the CCC to join the TRC, finish 1-9 and miss the playoffs. Now in 2022, they have fallen to the point they're no longer competitive and don't have enough players to play. This is a program that was a perennial playoff team as far back as 1995 when only four schools made the playoffs per region. It's hard to believe.

I think the reaction to Covid did a number to many institutions in our country. Covington was its best when Bob Huelsman was in charge. The area is stagnant and the need for new growth is being diverted to Troy, Piqua and Tipp. Covington will return but it might take new leadership. It is a shame. I think this is going on many places and it’s disheartening.

I think the reaction to Covid did a number to many institutions in our country. Covington was its best when Bob Huelsman was in charge. The area is stagnant and the need for new growth is being diverted to Troy, Piqua and Tipp. Covington will return but it might take new leadership. It is a shame. I think this is going on many places and it’s disheartening.
The one thing about Covington is that their struggles seem to have coincided with the Covid season, a league change, and a coaching change. All of which happened in the period of two years. The tough part with many of the smaller towns and smaller programs, is there is no guarantee they rebound, or at least it can be very hard to recover.

Where is BigBuccFan when you need him? Even thinking of them as a poster, our numbers dwindle on here too.....

Last edited:
Speaking of Cedarville, that's a program that has not been what it once was, Southeastern as well.
You are right about that. When Jim Villinger left being the head coach at Cedarville, they have never ben the same since. He finished with over 240 wins I think.